DCF Shelter Hearings

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least we did find out that TS's mom has moved to FL. (Thanks Nin for the article) It says she moved to FL but not Annie Lisa. I'm assuming it'd be easier for Mimi to move vs AL who has children or a child of her own, a job, husband, etc. So at least that is good news.

DCF though, grrrr. I also have had very disappointing interactions with them as a mandated reporter/teacher. On the other hand, my mom and my mother in law were social workers and I know they have zero support and are underfunded, have double or triple the amount of cases they should. So IMO that fault lies with our government.

We don't know, though, who the girls are staying with or how much they get to visit with different family members. I'm hoping they are getting the help and love they need.

MS was arrested in February which means it hasn't been two mths yet since the children were placed temporarily . Most big changes happen at the 3 mth and 6mth hearings when child services are involved. The next hearing is in mid April which is almost 3 mths then a June hearing was ordered as well which is almost 6 mths. It's the system.

In Oregon , after the 6 mths, the discussion of terminating parental rights is discussed if the parent is incarcerated or not getting the help that was mandated that was put in the action plan to get their children out of state custody.

MS was arrested in February which means it hasn't been two mths yet since the children were placed temporarily . Most big changes happen at the 3 mth and 6mth hearings when child services are involved. The next hearing is in mid April which is almost 3 mths then a June hearing was ordered as well which is almost 6 mths. It's the system.

In Oregon , after the 6 mths, the discussion of terminating parental rights is discussed if the parent is incarcerated or not getting the help that was mandated that was put in the action plan to get their children out of state custody.

Child services = DCF. And they have been involved since December, when they petitioned the court to have the girls removed after the documents implicated him in TS's murder.

Please do not make excuses for them. There has been plenty of time for them to have their ducks in a row for today's hearing. And if they needed more time for more thorough background checks, I feel sure the judge would have approved it since it's in the girls' best interest. They didn't serve MS the petition and there is no excuse for that.

As for termination of parental rights, thank you for sharing how it's done in Oregon, but that is not how it's done here. His rights can only fully be terminated after he is convicted. Until then, he continues to have partial rights with the judge having the authority to make final decisions until there is an acquittal.

Child services = DCF. And they have been involved since December, when they petitioned the court to have the girls removed after the documents implicated him in TS's murder.

Please do not make excuses for them. There has been plenty of time for them to have their ducks in a row for today's hearing. And if they needed more time for more thorough background checks, I feel sure the judge would have approved it since it's in the girls' best interest. They didn't serve MS the petition and there is no excuse for that.

As for termination of parental rights, thank you for sharing how it's done in Oregon, but that is not how it's done here. His rights can only fully be terminated after he is convicted. Until then, he continues to have partial rights with the judge having the authority to make final decisions until there is an acquittal.

I was not defending dcf. I was just explaining that the court system and its decisions do not happen quickly as individuals want. Please do not assume my intentions. The December petition was denied so technically the court was not involved with the family. I have interned for social services and these matters take time. The kids are in a safe place now and have been seeing relatives so that is a good thing

We all so badly want what is best for the girls.

The truth is, we have no idea what has delayed MS being served the petition. Incompetence - strategy - we don't know and DCFS sure as heck isn't going to tell us.

So here we all sit, another hurry up and wait.

I think TS's wishes should be given huge weight. I imagine TS thinks of that brother as super-nice, lively, caring, someone who'll fill her two little one's lives with wonderful love.

And, assuming MS is guilty, I find it very telltale of MS to 'hang on' to those 2 little girls right up to MS' arrest: That tells me that MS has that domestic abuser state of mind fixated at TS, IE, 'TS made me do it -- TS drove me to this - Because of TS, I had no choice...'.

It burns me up how TS phoned MS from the airport to ASSURE him that she'd arrived home safely......

Irked that somebody didn't do their job by ensuring the required petition was served timely but my disappointment is greatly tempered by that photo of him in waist chains and tightly handcuffed. I know how confining and humiliating that is for an arrogant control freak like Mark Sievers. LOVE that pic.
Happens all the time. Someone forgot to do something that prevented him from being served.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I wish we knew why there is a delay in serving MS with the papers. I do wonder if the girls are starting to talk to the social workers. IMO with MS's brainwashing it is going to take some time for the girl's to open up to the social workers. Maybe DCF is wanting to add things the girls may be telling them to the paperwork. Not just about the murder, but about MS'S parenting skills. At least that is my hope for the delay.

Not stepping on any toes but a lot of factors re the disappointing hearing this am.....

Social services has a scale with ranging from Low to high priority.....now that the girls are safe, they are thoroughly taking their time to make sure their placement recommendation is airtight. Any mistakes can delay a lot of procedures. With MS being the person he is, he could appeal left and right and file a lawsuit against DCF if things were not done the right way. If TS's family would gain custody and the petition was not served to MS, his lawyer can have a field day with that.

Yes, DCF makes a lot of mistakes, all agencies including LE departments and courts can fail a person in any case. Let's not be so hard on DCF until we hear the reason for the petition mistake.

I'm just happy the girl are safe and TS's family are part of their life now. There are many fb pictures of her relatives spending time with the girls this month.

Looks like he's getting ready for a cat fight...letting his fingernails grow.

Irked that somebody didn't do their job by ensuring the required petition was served timely but my disappointment is greatly tempered by that photo of him in waist chains and tightly handcuffed. I know how confining and humiliating that is for an arrogant control freak like Mark Sievers. LOVE that pic.

MinnesotaMary: I think TS's wishes should be given huge weight. I imagine TS thinks of that brother as super-nice, lively, caring, someone who'll fill her two little one's lives with wonder.

It burns me up how TS phoned MS from the airport to ASSURE him that she'd arrived home safely......

Me: MM, you don't know how many times I have had the very same thought. He hatched the plan and made sure it was carried out. :furious:

It's no wonder that TS' sister initially was so baffled, telling police, "MS adored the ground TS walked on --- there were NO signs of domestic abuse!!". MS was just being completely tricky for years & years - MS was way too tricky & sneaky publicly to show any negative feeling toward TS.

IMO: In the time post-murder when he was all alone in the house with them, MS surely did an awful brainwash job on those innocent little ones.

And IMO: MS had all his hatred focused right in on TS. To MS, TS was nothing but 'a thing', an object. IMO MS hated TS so, so much that MS was blinded by his hatred & could not comprehend that eyes of suspicion would turn on MS when his wife is all alone, really just for a FEW HOURS!!, & winds up brutally murdered, back of her head smashed in by repeated blows of a hammer. So blinded by how much MS hated TS, MS ACTUALLY THOUGHT he'd be ignored as a suspect cuz' of how he was off in CT at the very time of this brutal murder.

Burns me up, too: How MS yelled at TS' sister after the murder, saying (I paraphrase): "These 2 little kids aren't going anywhere - they stay with ME in MY home where I belong!! Everyone needs to completely 4get about that (dead - deadweight, in MS' mind she was....) TS & JUST GET ON LIVING!HAPPY LIVES!!".

Not stepping on any toes but a lot of factors re the disappointing hearing this am.....

Social services has a scale with ranging from Low to high priority.....now that the girls are safe, they are thoroughly taking their time to make sure their placement recommendation is airtight. Any mistakes can delay a lot of procedures. With MS being the person he is, he could appeal left and right and file a lawsuit against DCF if things were not done the right way. If TS's family would gain custody and the petition was not served to MS, his lawyer can have a field day with that.

Yes, DCF makes a lot of mistakes, all agencies including LE departments and courts can fail a person in any case. Let's not be so hard on DCF until we hear the reason for the petition mistake.

I'm just happy the girl are safe and TS's family are part of their life now. There are many fb pictures of her relatives spending time with the girls this month.

Maybe it's different where you're from, but here, DCF is not permitted to create their own hierarchy of priority. We have laws with specific timelines. DCF had until yesterday (21 days from the 2/29 shelter hearing) to serve MS the petition, but they didn't. That is a violation. They screwed up.

39.501 Petition for dependency.--

(4) When a child has been placed in shelter status by order of the court, a petition alleging dependency must be filed within 21 days after the shelter hearing

https://www.dcf.state.fl.us/admin/publications/fsp/chapter39.pdf

Maybe it's different where you're from, but here, DCF is not permitted to create their own hierarchy of priority. We have laws with specific timelines. DCF had until yesterday (21 days from the 2/29 shelter hearing) to serve MS the petition, but they didn't. That is a violation. They screwed up.

39.501 Petition for dependency.--

(4) When a child has been placed in shelter status by order of the court, a petition alleging dependency must be filed within 21 days after the shelter hearing

https://www.dcf.state.fl.us/admin/publications/fsp/chapter39.pdf
I'm in NY we have the same or similar time line's for what we call ocfs. However those are routinely violated. People served not on time. Served incorrectly. Ocfs doesn't seem to get in trouble as it continues to screw up paperwork. This from personal and professional experience. Oh the stories I can tell.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Yes- it was a wink and a big smile. Flirting with the attorney- disgusting. Are we surprised? It is SO- Mark Sievers. Pig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member