Found Deceased OH - Joey LaBute, 26, Columbus, 4 March 2016 #2

I have done some research on the "Smiley Face Killer."- I will say, I do find it very odd that there are a plethora of unsolved crimes involving college aged men found in bodies of water. Anyone would think that there is a connection between cases- or that somehow these cases have to be linked to the same perp. However, it has been 20 years, and there still has not been a significant piece of evidence left behind? This person is THAT good to get away with murder hundreds of times? And... if you say it is a cult.... this group of people must be skilled murderers.

Based on my analysis of Joey's conversation that night with Matt, coupled with my own research (or creeping), I believe in the speculation that there was some sort of love triangle going on.

In regards to this being a hate crime, I have a few comments. Is it considered a hate crime if it was committed by another gay person?

Second, Columbus is a very diverse and open minded city. HOWEVER, hate crimes still happen here and not all get reported to the news. A few years ago, a gay couple was getting pizza from a food truck when some straight people started making anti-gay remarks. The pizza truck refused service to the straight Ohio,e stating they don't serve those who discriminate. Last year, there were a few people who were attacked leaving bars. Just because you don't hear about these hate crimes doesn't mean they don't exist.

within our own gay community in Columbus there are gays who specifically tell other gays how they will beat them up, etc. there's a few guys in the community who are real bullies.

Elaborate please- why do gays want to beat up other gays? Jealousy? Love Interests?

I think a love triangle is more likely than a hate crime.

I agree, and personally I think a love triangle is quite possible here. I understand that the ME has said no stab or gun shot wounds, but has he/she said absolutely no signs of trauma whatsoever, for example, ligature marks, blunt force trauma injuries, etc.?

Wishful thinking on my part, but if the body turns out to belong to Joey, I'm hoping that along with an official ID, they will announce an arrest, or at least we will hear something along the lines of a suspect being in custody on an unrelated charge, etc. If LE are working on placing someone in custody, perhaps that explains the delay in announcing the official ID, too.

Regardless, if Joey is no longer with us, I am just so sad. He seems like someone I would love to get to know and hang out with ....

In regards to this being a hate crime, I have a few comments. Is it considered a hate crime if it was committed by another gay person?

Second, Columbus is a very diverse and open minded city. HOWEVER, hate crimes still happen here and not all get reported to the news. A few years ago, a gay couple was getting pizza from a food truck when some straight people started making anti-gay remarks. The pizza truck refused service to the straight Ohio,e stating they don't serve those who discriminate. Last year, there were a few people who were attacked leaving bars. Just because you don't hear about these hate crimes doesn't mean they don't exist.

within our own gay community in Columbus there are gays who specifically tell other gays how they will beat them up, etc. there's a few guys in the community who are real bullies.

who is Matt?

And seriously, who is this Matt? I wonder if he has a last name?

Whoever this body turns out to be, I return back to the simplest explanation may be the actual one- drunk folks walking and stumbling around on docks,and sloping riverbanks drown very often. If there are no signs of violent trauma it may be a tragic accident, whoever this poor soul may be.

Coroner just confirmed the body found in the Scioto is Joey.

An accident is certainly possible but CPD needs to piece together that evening to rule definitively it was an accidental drowning. The last thing I want to see is a COD of drowning and then immediately proclaim it was an accident. The "I'm driving" call certainly suggests he was with somebody. Most accidental drownings occur alone.

RIP Joey. You were such a sweet guy. I wish we got to know each other better.

[video=twitter;715553600597016576]https://twitter.com/theodore_decker/status/715553600597016576[/video]

R.I.P Joey.

:rose:

Thoughts with Joey's family and friends.

RIP Joey ! I didn't even know you.

Not sure where drowning is coming from. Is that personal opinions or is that mentioned as a possibility in an article ?

Damn.
I guess we knew this, truly.

Heartfelt sympathy to Joey's loved ones, some of whom have been reading here with us.

Let's hope that LE has enough info to narrow the suspect pool and bring the right person/people to justice. Joey is greatly loved by many and should have had a long, long life ahead of him. I hope they get the guilty party quickly and nail them to the wall.

RIP Joey. Does anyone know if Columbus or Ohio actually still uses coroners instead of medical examiners?

NBC4- "Ortiz says the autopsy was difficult because Labute’s body was so badly decomposed and added there were no external signs of trauma, like gunshot or stab wounds, on the body."

I thought Sicilian said the body was in "good" shape....

So sad. Rest in Peace, Joey.
:rose:

This is so sad to hear. I was hoping for a happy ending in this case, but as time went on, my hope dwindled. At least his family can have some closure now.

If this was an attack, I hope that the police and a PI can get to the bottom of this.

Much love to Joey's family. I can't imagine what they are going through right now.

"autopsy was very difficult because the body was very decomposed" per doc......

So was it or wasnt it??

Maybe they lied to make perp get scared and come in? It is hard to grasp that folks who pick up bodies cant tell the diff between in good shape and severly decompsed per the ME??

http://nbc4i.com/2016/03/31/police-identify-body-found-in-scioto-river-as-joey-labute-jr/

tox will take will weeks

takes us back to he prob passed the night he was taken or soon after,

I must tell you all that LE being unable to determine decom, apparently, isbothersome - give them a class or somthing

body in good shape VS needing dental is like night and day to me Something is still really off IMO

http://nbc4i.com/2016/03/31/police-identify-body-found-in-scioto-river-as-joey-labute-jr/

police have labeled his death suspicious primarily because of the circumstances (???) in which his body was found.

spotted LaBute's half-submerged body near the boat launch

that takes me back to a car backing down the ramp and opening the trunk.........

the clothing resembled what LaBute was reportedly wearing

lived in Gahanna

worked at Morgan Stanley.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2016/03/31/Police-identify-body-in-river.html

coroner's office says it did not reveal anyexternal injuries,

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/butler-county/lakota-grad-joey-labute-found-dead-in-scioto-river

Lakota grad

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/butler-county/lakota-grad-joey-labute-found-dead-in-scioto-river

Divers have searched other parts of the river in the past few weeks on separate cases, so maybe this is gonna turn out to beserial killer??

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back