NM NM - Leah Peebles, 23, Albuquerque, 22 May 2006

I just watched this on dissapeared and I was badly hoping to see on a google search that she had been found. :( That's made me really sad that her Father passed away.

He came across as such a loving Father and despite what his family had been through, he spoke with so much love for his daughter.

He seemed like a lovely man and I'm sad for everyone. :(

I watched the episode again just now and was extremely saddened to read that her father passed away. Hasn't the family had enough suffering? :(

I watched the episode again just now and was extremely saddened to read that her father passed away. Hasn't the family had enough suffering? :(

Her dad died?????? Oh no. That's tragic he'll never know what happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. He died in some sort of bike accident. He spent so much time looking for her, and now this. So sad...

I tend to lean towards her being deceased. I think the death of her father, assuming she had heard somehow, would have either brought her back for the funeral or driven her the rest of the way off the cliff. Her Father came across as loving unconditionally and determined. I hope he went without any more pain.

I don't know whether to think Leah is still alive or deceased actually. There is no hard evidence of foul play, but there hasn't been any more unconfirmed sightings of Leah for quite some time. If Leah is still alive she has either most likely; A. Disappeared willingly due to feeling bad about feeling like a burden to her family, B. Coming into contact with family is far in the back of her mind, or C. Is being held against her will. Of course, Leah may also very well be deceased. The guy who was the most probable to be responsible for the West Mesa Murders was still alive at the time Leah disappeared. One would think that they searched the construction site well enough to revover all the remains buried there, but perhaps the same perp had another dumping ground elsewhere. There is a high number of women that were involved with either or both drugs and prostitution in Albuquerque during the 2000's that are still missing actually and some of them disappeared years after the most probable time that the West Mesa Murders took place during. Of course, this is JMO and :twocents:.

Bumping for Leah. I'm watching the disappeared episode right now.

Today for probably the 12th time, I watched Leah's episode of Disappeared. I don't know what to think. Typically, with cases involving the missing and/or murdered, I get a "feeling" one way or the other. This goes back to being a little girl watching Unsolved Mysteries and through the years, I have learned to listen to that inherent intuition (especially as it has served me well in my personal decisions and life). A lot of times when I watch episodes of Disappeared, I have a strong sense of whether or not the missing person has passed or not. For example, I don't feel that Maura Murray is alive somewhere...I just feel that she has passed. With Leah, I don't feel that so much and it's not something that I can explain. Of course, I could be wrong and because my heart is so tender and full of empathy, I wish and pray that all of the missing are alive and will find their way home. I don't know what came of Leah, but I don't underestimate the reality of just how gigantic sex trafficking is in our country. Many people still act as though it's not so common here in our free and beautiful America, but I believe that trafficking is worse here than anywhere else in the world (and that is saying A LOT).

At any rate, I'm bumping for Leah and still praying that she will find her way home. In the meantime, I also hope and pray that she isn't suffering every minute of every day...that would be a fate worse than death. Also, I feel such sadness at the passing of John, her loving and devoted father. It's just so heartbreaking.

It's been almost nine years and at this point, I believe she is deceased. During the summer of 2006, it seems like there was a very good chance that she was alive and that they were close to finding her. However, it was never really verified and it's difficult to tell how long a person could survive under those conditions. Optimistically, I would like to believe that she got out and regained control of her life but I'm assuming she would have made contact after her father had passed. Maybe she felt she couldn't? I hope the family receives an answer soon.

Missing Since: May 22, 2006 from Albuquerque, New Mexico
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date of Birth: January 16, 1983
Height and Weight: 5'4, 105 pounds

Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Brown hair, blue eyes. Peebles may dye her hair black, red or blonde; she enjoys styling it in different cuts and colors. She wears eyeglasses and contact lenses, but at the time of her disappearance she was only carrying one two-week disposable pair of contacts. Peebles's ears are double-pierced and her left upper lip is pierced. The upper part of her right ear has been previously pierced and she has a scar from a previous piercing on her right nostril and a possible piercing scar on her left eyebrow. She has the following tattoos: a scrolled flower design on her upper back in black ink and a Celtic cross in black ink on her lower back. Peebles may use the first name Mia.

Clothing/Jewelry Description: Thicker gauged steel hoop earrings. Clothing unknown, but she usually wears t-shirts, jeans and sandals. Peebles normally carries a purse containing her cellular phone and Texas driver's license.
Medical Conditions: Peebles has a history of drug and alcohol abuse.

Details of Disappearance
Peebles moved from Fort Worth, Texas to Albuquerque, New Mexico on May 5, 2006. She was temporarily residing with friends in the vicinity of the 2100 block of Erbbe Street northeast when she disappeared on May 22, 2006. She left the home to go on a date with a man she'd met at the Flying Star Cafe, where she planned to start working the following week. Peebles never returned and has never been heard from again. Her vehicle was later found abandoned.

Peebles grew up in a middle-class, Christian home in Fort Worth. Her parents stated she was molested by a distant relative as a toddler and raped by an acquaintance she was fourteen. She was initially a good student at Carter-Riverside High School and active in as a cheerleader, in drama and on the yearbook staff, but by her sophomore year she had begun abusing drugs and alcohol and dropped out of her extracurricular activities.

When Peebles was eighteen, her parents put her in the Fort Worth Teen Challenge, a Christian residential drug and alcohol treatment facility for women. She stayed in the program for 21 months, graduated from cosmetology school and took a job at a beauty salon, but soon relapsed and began using a variety of illegal drugs. She was convicted of drug offenses twice and served two short jail sentences. Peebles was fired from her job at the salon after the second arrest, as her drug use had made her an unreliable employee. Her parents wanted her to return to the drug rehabilitation program, but she decided to move to Albuquerque instead. She hoped to get a new start in life, make new and better friends, stop her drug and alcohol abuse.

After Peebles disappeared there were sightings of her reported in the Albuquerque area. The witnesses reported Peebles was calling herself "Mia" and working as a prostitute for a pimp called A.J. who supplied her with crack cocaine. Police questioned A.J. after he was arrested in Bakersfield, California and he said he'd never heard of Peebles. Her father has made about eleven trips to Albuquerque as well as Phoenix, Arizona and Las Vegas, Nevada to search for her. The last credible sighting was in the fall of 2006, and her father believes she may have been sold to a pimp in another city. Her case remains unsolved.

Pronounced "Maya", as in the "Mayan Indians", as I hear now on her episode on ID's "Disappeared".

Even though it’s from 2014, I just thought I’d just add this news story which mentions Leah Peebles and how her dad never gave up looking for her despite getting quite close to some pretty unsavory characters whom he believed know much more than they let on and finally had to pack it in for a time when his life was threatened. May he RIP - breaks my heart that he passed away never knowing what happened to his daughter whom he obviously loved and cared for dearly. Many fathers wouldn’t have gone to the extent that he did looking for Leah, tbqh. He covered a lot of ground for someone who knew little about investigating/police work…some things may never have come to light had it not been for his doggedness in trying to find Leah.
Here’s a snippet from the article (BBM):
John D. Peebles, 55, spent several years searching for his missing daughter, in Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona and Nevada. He was killed in a motorcycle accident last year while participating in the 2013 Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in South Dakota.The father spoke publicly about receiving death threats while investigating his daughter's whereabouts in Albuquerque's Central Avenue haunts, where undercover police said drugs flow easily and women drug addicts turned tricks to pay for cocaine and heroin.

Leah Peebles was last seen on her way to meet a man at the Flying Star Café, an eatery in Albuquerque that is popular with police and courthouse employees. She was to begin working there several days later.

Before his death, her father said he was told that Peebles reportedly fell into the clutches of a pimp identified as "A.J.," who allegedly supplied her with crack cocaine. Police, who said they checked into the tip, did not find any evidence to link the alleged pimp in California to Peebles.

Also before he died, John Peebles said in media interviews that he suspected his daughter had been "sold" to another pimp, prompting his constant trips across several states in the hopes of finding her.

Lupe Lopez-Haynes, of Albuquerque, said she talked to Leah Peeble's father several times by telephone about his daughter's case. They both had something in common, a disappeared relative.

The article then goes into some depth about the many female bodies discovered (known as “West Mesa Murders”) and some other girls who went missing in the area who have yet to be accounted for. It also touches upon the girl known as “Cinnamon” who was believed to be a pro working the same vicinity as Leah. Please correct me if I am wrong here as it’s been a long while since I watched the Disappeared episode, but didn’t Mr. Peebles bring up someone by the name of Cinnamon at some point? Was she the girl that he talked to? I can’t remember exactly. I may be confusing it with the Dateline episode of the West Mesa Murders … :balloon::dunno:

Here’s the source again if anyone is interested in reading the whole thing:

http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_25155150/families-victims-received-tips-about-possible-killers

Bumping for Leah. This tragic case has always stuck with me. I definitely lean more toward her being deceased- given the amount of time that has passed and the sudden death of her father. Absolutely heartbreaking.

We haven't forgotten about you, Leah!

Such a tragedy that her dad passed away. Unfortunately, Leah may have been the victim of a prolific serial killer who preys on prostitutes.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Albuquerque Police Department
505-242-2677

Her dad's death was caused by a motorcycle accident. Whatever happened to Leah, she isn't responsible for his accident.

Yay!! That's why I love Disappeared and so glad it's coming back with new episodes next Monday.

First I'd cross out her name in that picture of the message. You are bringing attention to her.

Ok then. Leah would be 33 now. That girl in the picture looks too young.

The second person looks too healthy to be Leah, IMO. Wasn't she looking quite... Worse for wear... By the time she went missing due to her rough lifestyle?

Nothing 'smells bad' about a man dying in a motorcycle accident. It happens every day.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back