Identified! CT - Stonington (Ledyard), WhtFem UP8909, 18-30, JNHS 1917 Class Ring, Lady Clairol hair roller set, May'74 - Linda Sue Childers

I have some input on this case. My mother and Carmichael's mother were very close. They often passed themselves off as sisters. For some period of time his mother, Rita F. Carmichael (nee Barrett), lived or spent a lot of time at my mother's house. The address Carmichael gave on 7th was his mother's house and I spent a lot of time there.

Gustavus Lee Carmichael has a sister Maureen Ann and a brother John Lindsey. Per Rita's obituary around 11/21/2013 Maureen was living in East Boston with the last name Baker-Murphy. J.L., John Lindsey, was living in Quincy with his wife Peggy. Rita was raising Maureen's first boy, Andrew Young. The Carmichael children were much older than me, by 10 - 15 years I would say. Andrew was several years younger than me. Has anyone talked with Maureen, J.L., or Andrew?

GREAT POST! Glad to have you with us!
To answer your question... I don't know. Probably no one at WS has. Are you feeling brave? :)

I saw that his brother lives in Quincy (one town over from me) but didn't feel comfortable reaching out.

I have some input on this case. My mother and Carmichael's mother were very close. They often passed themselves off as sisters. For some period of time his mother, Rita F. Carmichael (nee Barrett), lived or spent a lot of time at my mother's house. The address Carmichael gave on 7th was his mother's house and I spent a lot of time there.

Gustavus Lee Carmichael has a sister Maureen Ann and a brother John Lindsey. Per Rita's obituary around 11/21/2013 Maureen was living in East Boston with the last name Baker-Murphy. J.L., John Lindsey, was living in Quincy with his wife Peggy. Rita was raising Maureen's first boy, Andrew Young. The Carmichael children were much older than me, by 10 - 15 years I would say. Andrew was several years younger than me. Has anyone talked with Maureen, J.L., or Andrew?

Have you considered contacting a Moderator & becoming a Verified Insider for this case, Your Majesty?

Love your screen-name, Ma'am.

The link takes you to the primary newspaper article, you have to move to page 9 to see the references to Connie.

"Police had few clues to the woman's proper name, other than nicknames like Sandy, Connie and Lorraine."

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...usgAAAAIBAJ&sjid=3XEFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1823,2619110

For some reason the names Connie and Sandy felt connected, like maybe they were nicknames for the same name - Cassandra? Don't know why. But maybe in one of those aliases is a ring of truth to what her real name is.

I found this newspaper article detailing the murder trial against Donald DeFreitas. DeFreitas was accused of murdering Carmichael and the Jane Doe, and the two bodies were found behind DeFreitas' home.

The murder allegedly occurred on December 31, 1970. If that's true, it would rule-out Lynn Schulze.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...esgAAAAIBAJ&sjid=3XEFAAAAIBAJ&pg=5049,1396095

Here's a missing person I hadn't seen in any of the usual places. Went missing sometime between 1968 and 1970 in Massachusetts:

Marlaine Dedoming Tenney
Replies: 0
Marlaine Dedoming Tenney
Layla62014 (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jul 2013 1:39PM GMT

Classification: Query
DOB 1947
Lived in Massachusetts
Parents Marc and Lorraine
Disappeared approx. 1968-1970

http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.tenney/319/mb.ashx

Listed at Medway High School, MA as a missing alum: http://www.medwayalumni.com/class-of-1965/

I first found mention of Marlaine here, in a blog post about MPs who haven't been entered into NAMUS and who've largely been forgotten:
https://whereaboutsstillunknown.wor...issing-missing-females-iowa-through-missouri/

I come back to this case every few months and do a little digging with the few clues provided. A few weeks ago, I looked into the phone records again... and for anyone familiar with the links to Tennessee recording companies... well, it appears Charlie Fox (which I believe to be the same person as the CM Fox printed on the phone bill) owned/operated bowling lanes (White Horse Bowling) along with a nightclub/music venue called "The Frontier Room" in/around Trenton, NJ. IMO the phone calls associated with the Nashville recording companies were related to this business. It's possible CM Fox knew this UID, OR maybe he just owned a house/apt which he rented to Carmichael?

If anyone continues to have interest and would like links to the bits of info regarding Fox/The Frontier Room, etc... just let me know.

I come back to this case every few months and do a little digging with the few clues provided. A few weeks ago, I looked into the phone records again... and for anyone familiar with the links to Tennessee recording companies... well, it appears Charlie Fox (which I believe to be the same person as the CM Fox printed on the phone bill) owned/operated bowling lanes (White Horse Bowling) along with a nightclub/music venue called "The Frontier Room" in/around Trenton, NJ. IMO the phone calls associated with the Nashville recording companies were related to this business. It's possible CM Fox knew this UID, OR maybe he just owned a house/apt which he rented to Carmichael?

If anyone continues to have interest and would like links to the bits of info regarding Fox/The Frontier Room, etc... just let me know.

Ding ding, starting to ring a bell. I need to go back and see if I posted anything about him a few years ago. I feel certain I did at some point. I know I googled the heck out of him when I was combing through the phone bill. Some of her calls were to a local publisher and at one point I kept chasing a dead end theory that he worked there. I'm glad to know what he did for a living. Interesting that some of her calls were also to TN. Didn't some of the people who knew her say that they thought she'd been a dancer, but in New York? Some took that to mean that she was an exotic dancer, but maybe she worked in his club. I REALLY need to dig back in and read the old posts. There is a lot of good information in them. Maybe she was from Tennessee and had some sort of introduction to him from people back home. At one point I found a school with the initials on the ring in the same area code as one of the numbers -- I think a middle school in West Virginia, not Tennessee, though.

My memory is so poor that tonight, as I was reading upthread about the escapes of Defreitas and Rory from the same prison, I thought, "Wow, that prison was like a sieve" and scrolled down to see that someone had written exactly that...and then realized it was me.

I thought, "Wow, that prison was like a sieve" and scrolled down to see that someone had written exactly that...and then realized it was me.

RSBM

Thank you for such a good laugh!! (I'd keep my laugh to myself except I've done the same!)

Thought I'd bring my thoughts to the actual thread for this: Someone, I don't remember who exactly, asked on another thread what we thought the letters were on this ring & this is what I came up with.
Some meanings I found for JNHS: Junior National Honor Society, Japanese National Honor Society, Jim Ned High School (Texas). Don't know if any of those work in relation to this young lady but thought I'd try at least.

The thoughts & opinions stated above are that, MY random thoughts & opinions.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12365314

The thoughts & opinions stated above are that, MY random thoughts & opinions.

I took screen shots of the articles below, sent them to Lori Bruski. She is going to try to get with the ME to see what can be used for her NamUs profile.

10/06/1970 Escaping Men Handcuff Two

Lewiston Evening Journal - Jul 2, 1974 Body of Carmichael pulled out of swamp

Daily News - May 14, 1975 Conn police seeking info on homicide victim -
The unidentified victim, a 25-30 year old female, was 5'4" or 5'5" tall, weighed about 100 to 110 pounds, and had brownish red hair. She was last known to be working in NY City and is believed to have relatives living in Tennessee, West Virginia, or the Carolinas.

The unidentified female was wearing two rings and a wood carved broach or pendant. One ring appears to be a school ring with the letters J.H.S.N. in monogram and the initials I.L.N. and the date 1917 engraved inside. The other ring is an inexpensive one with an imitation emerald stone. The wood-carved figure appears to be an abstract ceremonial head.

7/01/1976 DeFreitas Escape Becomes Issue - Hilda Iemma (Former wife of James Gardner) had the UID's clothing until it was seized by detectives:

7/02/1976 Gardener Explains His Role In Murder - Says the date they were killed

The Day - July 8, 1976 Reluctant DeFreitas takes the stand - newspaper article detailing the murder trial against Donald DeFreitas. DeFreitas was accused of murdering Carmichael and the Jane Doe, and the two bodies were found behind DeFreitas' home. The murder allegedly occurred on December 31, 1970.

The Day - July 16, 1976 DeFreitas and Brant found guilty part 1 - part 2 is under the next link - The link takes you to the primary newspaper article, you have to go to the link below to see the references to her name. "Police had few clues to the woman's proper name, other than nicknames like Sandy, Connie and Lorraine."

The Day - Jul 16, 1976 Jury verdict leaves a question unanswered

7/25/1976 Woman Says Victim Assumed Her Identity - Lorraine Stahl

Huge document - State v. DeFreitas

Ding ding, starting to ring a bell. I need to go back and see if I posted anything about him a few years ago. I feel certain I did at some point. I know I googled the heck out of him when I was combing through the phone bill. Some of her calls were to a local publisher and at one point I kept chasing a dead end theory that he worked there. I'm glad to know what he did for a living. Interesting that some of her calls were also to TN. Didn't some of the people who knew her say that they thought she'd been a dancer, but in New York? Some took that to mean that she was an exotic dancer, but maybe she worked in his club. I REALLY need to dig back in and read the old posts. There is a lot of good information in them. Maybe she was from Tennessee and had some sort of introduction to him from people back home. At one point I found a school with the initials on the ring in the same area code as one of the numbers -- I think a middle school in West Virginia, not Tennessee, though.

My memory is so poor that tonight, as I was reading upthread about the escapes of Defreitas and Rory from the same prison, I thought, "Wow, that prison was like a sieve" and scrolled down to see that someone had written exactly that...and then realized it was me.

After finding the two advertisements linked below, I believe the phone number (609-888-1300 per phone bill) belonged to The White Horse Bowling Academy/The Frontier Room in the 1960's:

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/59496584/

KOUNTRY SWING KINGS Headed by LES SEVERS SATURDAY, JANUARY 12, 1963 from 9 P.M. Until . . . • DINNER SERVED FROM 4 P.M. DAILY • DANCING NIGHTLY • POPULAR PRICES • NO MINIMUM • 64 BOWLING LANES 888-1300

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/53257162/

SATURDAY-FEB. 16 PATSY CLINE AT DON LARKIN'S (IN THE WHITE HORSE BOWLING ACADEMY) ROUTE 206, 1 MILE SOUTH OF TRENTON PLUS SONNY SLEETER With His Country Cousins, Starring LES SEVERS Square Dancing Every Wednesday Good Food . . . Low Prices . . . Pretty Waitresses Catering To Parties And Banquets 888-1300 or 1301

I know I'm grasping at very flimsy straws with this question, but I wonder if Mr Glover (or anyone posting on the website below) would have any memories of our UID??

http://glover320.blogspot.com/2014/01/1941-grand-opening-of-white-horse.html

Has Cornelia June Enright been suggested?
One of the news articles on the DeFreitas trial stated that one of the names this JD went by was Connie. Cornelia June Enright went missing in 1969 from NY and she also went by Connie.
https://www.troopers.ny.gov/Wanted_...w.cfm?ID=06329207-bdcb-44a8-9717-81f65e278c35
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/33036/0
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/e/enright_cornelia.html
GetPhoto.aspx

I was fascinated by all the stuff found with her and that they know so much about her except her name. The Maine inspection sticker, the ring, and the phone bills intrigued me, considering two out of the three hit home, literally. I'm thinking the ring might belong to a defunct school. I'm certain the phone numbers on the bill were identified and contacted back in the day but they were probably a dead end if she was using an alias.

I searched FaceBook for Cornelia after I posted this. I look for all the MP's on FB first to see if maybe they just took off and to also look to see if they have a missing persons page. Someone already suggested this JD as a potential match for her on a missing person's post, so hopefully this will reach the right people for consideration. I hope it is a match because I want to find out about that ring! I'm hoping a friend or relative can shed some insight about it.

Has Cornelia June Enright been suggested?
One of the news articles on the DeFreitas trial stated that one of the names this JD went by was Connie. Cornelia June Enright went missing in 1969 from NY and she also went by Connie.
https://www.troopers.ny.gov/Wanted_...w.cfm?ID=06329207-bdcb-44a8-9717-81f65e278c35
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/33036/0
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/e/enright_cornelia.html
GetPhoto.aspx

I was fascinated by all the stuff found with her and that they know so much about her except her name. The Maine inspection sticker, the ring, and the phone bills intrigued me, considering two out of the three hit home, literally. I'm thinking the ring might belong to a defunct school. I'm certain the phone numbers on the bill were identified and contacted back in the day but they were probably a dead end if she was using an alias.

Did anyone submit her as a possible match?

I'm not sure. I haven't, so if someone wants to do it, please do.

I searched FaceBook for Cornelia after I posted this. I look for all the MP's on FB first to see if maybe they just took off and to also look to see if they have a missing persons page. Someone already suggested this JD as a potential match for her on a missing person's post, so hopefully this will reach the right people for consideration. I hope it is a match because I want to find out about that ring! I'm hoping a friend or relative can shed some insight about it.

It's always so good to see activity (with possible matches for this UID)!

I think CJE could be a match, but I can't seem to find any info other than Linton High School (which is the photo used in Namus).

I recently noticed the DNA status on the UID's Namus profile, "Insufficient DNA for profiling". So, the matching is now much more difficult. (This fact saddens me so much, as this case just won't "let me be"... it's always in the back of my mind. I've even found a bit more info on the organized crime aspect... which I find so strangely fascinating, but it doesn't help with identification).

Also, there are dental records for the UID, but there are none for CJE.

(IMO) we need to find additional information to help in possibly linking CJE to the UID.

Not sure why there was some confusion over the license plate of the car. Maine plates at the time were a very ugly yellow with black numbers. I'm thinking what happened is someone confused the state abbreviations. Very few people get that Maine is ME, not MA or MN or MI. I wonder if that car was reported stolen back in the day?

Does Cornelia Enright have her own page? If not, I'm hoping someone will start one in case she is ruled out as this JD. I couldn't find an MP page for her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419
Back