The Grand Jury & Trial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha, I should have been clearer - I went back and amended my post. My point was that Leanna's worst fear of Cooper being left in a hot car is incredibly specific, almost like a phobia. Yet neither she nor Ross did anything about it and then coincidentally Cooper was indeed left in the hot SUV. I have a hard time getting past that.

It's almost enough to make me wonder if Ross would have committed that particular kind of murder (hot car) on purpose in order to punish Leanna. Maybe it's a stretch but if Ross in fact murdered Cooper and didn't just forget him then it's worth considering a motive of revenge.

My speculations about the possibility Ross drove him to work on purpose because he was late are most related to thinking through whether or not the State can make a good case for premeditated murder. IMO Ross has very little chance of evading a conviction on the second degree cruelty felony.

IMO the DT has 2 narratives for trying to convince a jury that Ross "forgot" Cooper.

I don't think the first narrative passes even the lowest barrier of jurors' common sense. Trying to spin that odious sexual addiction reason for forgetting Cooper is bad enough, but that forgetting story relies upon jurors believing it's even possible, given the 2 minute or less window.

But, I think the DT is stuck with this story.

Narrative 2, Ross took him to work meaning to go right back and THEN forgot is more believable in the sense that it doesn't rely upon that 2 minute window.

But, thinking it through, it is a narrative that also leads straight to the possibility of proving premeditation, especially given the timing of his texts and the fact that up until 9:25 or so, they were NOT sexual. How is the Defense going to peddle forgetfulness due to sexual addiction if the texting at that point wasn't sexual?

What I've been thinking and posting about is the possibility Ross began "premeditating" during his texting with Whisper lady, not before. That when he "remembered" Cooper during that texting, he also remembered the hotcar videos, knew he might already be in legal trouble if he took Cooper to daycare that day and then kept not doing nothing at all.

If Ross get mostly men on the jury than it may result in a not guilty or hung trial.

The sexting will destroy him in the eyes of most female jurors but he may find 1 or 2 men that may still give him the benefit of the doubt.

I think the fact that the defendant is responsible for his baby son's horrible death transcends the gender of jurors, regardless of any otherwise potentially different and gender-based responses to a sexual addiction defense.

Ha, I should have been clearer - I went back and amended my post. My point was that Leanna's worst fear of Cooper being left in a hot car is incredibly specific, almost like a phobia. Yet neither she nor Ross did anything about it and then coincidentally Cooper was indeed left in the hot SUV. I have a hard time getting past that.

It's almost enough to make me wonder if Ross would have committed that particular kind of murder (hot car) on purpose in order to punish Leanna. Maybe it's a stretch but if Ross in fact murdered Cooper and didn't just forget him then it's worth considering a motive of revenge.

BBM. Ms Marple, that has long been my theory on this particular case. From the method of murder, to the phone call to L about picking up his "little buddy", even to her reaction to finding out the Cooper wasn't at LAA. She knew at that point what he had done. I hope she takes the stand during the trail.

Maybe this is all wrong. Time will tell.

But, thinking it through, it is a narrative that also leads straight to the possibility of proving premeditation, especially given the timing of his texts and the fact that up until 9:25 or so, they were NOT sexual. How is the Defense going to peddle forgetfulness due to sexual addiction if the texting at that point wasn't sexual?

What I've been thinking and posting about is the possibility Ross began "premeditating" during his texting with Whisper lady, not before. That when he "remembered" Cooper during that texting, he also remembered the hotcar videos, knew he might already be in legal trouble if he took Cooper to daycare that day and then kept not doing nothing at all.
RSBM
RBBM
I've been thinking along similar lines. My thoughts are a little different but I also think that Ross may have come to a decision that morning at Chick Fil A to relieve himself of his family burden while talking with the married woman. His marriage was in trouble and he was also facing financial and job difficulties. And here comes a woman who feels the same way about wanting to be free of relationship responsibilities. Given his immaturity and the poor choices he'd already made it wouldn't be surprising if he made a rash decision without thinking it through. By lunch time there was no way he could unring that bell and so he devised the great reveal for after work.

This may be a bit snarky but I am loving how many potential jurors are like "How can you forget your baby, he is totally guilty". I mean, I don't know what that means for the trial, legally etc, but I just love that part of the reporting will be "x amount of potential jurors can not believe that he could be innocent". I think he thought that he had found the perfect plan. He's much, much less smart than he thinks he is.

This may be a bit snarky but I am loving how many potential jurors are like "How can you forget your baby, he is totally guilty". I mean, I don't know what that means for the trial, legally etc, but I just love that part of the reporting will be "x amount of potential jurors can not believe that he could be innocent". I think he thought that he had found the perfect plan. He's much, much less smart than he thinks he is.

This is why I don't really think the gender of the juror will affect the outcome. Male jurors seem to be responding similarly to the females. "how can you forget your baby?"

When this story was under 48 hours old, and we knew none of these sexting/philandering details, I had a PT appointment. Everyone (therapists, patients) in the open therapy space was talking about it. None of the men bought that it was an accident. Not my mid-to-late twenties, single, childless, male therapist, none of the other therapists (two more males, one female), and I distinctly remember a grizzled old biker-grandpa patient. "That's some bulls**t. Mark my words, he didn't forget that baby." Then he went on about just punishment for Ross which I shall not repeat here. :angel:

Nancy Grace has an investigative special about the Harris trial this Friday night at 8PM EST. Thought some of would like to watch!

RSBM
RBBM
I've been thinking along similar lines. My thoughts are a little different but I also think that Ross may have come to a decision that morning at Chick Fil A to relieve himself of his family burden while talking with the married woman. His marriage was in trouble and he was also facing financial and job difficulties. And here comes a woman who feels the same way about wanting to be free of relationship responsibilities. Given his immaturity and the poor choices he'd already made it wouldn't be surprising if he made a rash decision without thinking it through. By lunch time there was no way he could unring that bell and so he devised the great reveal for after work.

Not enough evidence known yet to be able to do more than speculate, but IMO I don't think he proactively decided to kill Cooper, which is why the scenario that seems most plausible is the drove him to work to sign in on time intending to drive Cooper to daycare afterwards one.

I think he either forgot Cooper for close to half an hour, knew he might be in legal trouble already and wanted to spare himself that, and then kept going, working himself up into indignation rationalization that he deserved a different and easier life anyway.

Or all that minus any fear that he might be in legal trouble....

I've been following along, and just want to say I appreciate that there are folks posting here who hold varying opinions on this case. I cannot say which direction I am leaning yet in terms of intentional or not.

Heads up peeps, this thread will be closing shortly.

As we are in jury selection, and trial is imminent, I am about to open a sidebar thread for this forum. We will continue to discuss jury selection there. Once the jury is selected, there will be a sticky thread describing the various jurors selected, and there will we a trial discussion thread meant specifically for discussion of trial and the testimony offered therein.

The sidebar thread I am preparing for you now will be used to discuss the remaining jury selection and once selected, the off topic, nonspecific discussion that does not fit in another topical discussion thread already available.

Thread is now closed. Please move to the sidebar linked above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam