OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
How accurate is this quote? The reason I wonder is because the same expression was used for the murders: "It was a sophisticated operation." (Mike DeWine) The operation, then, could refer to the murder plan rather than the marijuana growing. It was "something bigger" than the outcome of a personal grudge against one person. I don't know. But I do know reporters, in their frenzy, can be careless with the facts -- and with quotes. Just sayin'. ;)

ETA: Listening to that CNN reporter, I got the impression that he was working hard to break a story. He learned that law enforcement was familiar with the family, suggesting that they were on LE's radar for criminal activities. Weren't they familiar with the family just because it was simply a large family that had lived in the region for many generations? He then said, based on that statement, that CNN looked into court records and found out that Dana (?) had some domestic-related charges. Some of her children (?) had drug-related offenses (not necessarily surprising if they were teens/young adults). Maybe CNN is on to something. Or maybe their report is breathless hype that has nothing to do with the murders. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

IMO It is all referring back to this bust:

http://www.newswatchman.com/news/article_2b29ce0c-27a4-5f3b-9c28-ff921fe53003.html

This family may have flipped and become informants or those involved thought so at least.

Something I find odd and maybe this is just me, but some of these people, held down regular jobs and all of them less than glamorous IMO. I don't understand why they would have jobs like the ones they had, if they had money coming in from another
source: I.e. Drug sales.

By CRIMESIDER STAFF CBS/AP April 25, 2016, 10:32 AM
Facebook threat targeted executed Ohio family

PIKE COUNTY, Ohio --A Facebook threat mentioning one of theeight members of an Ohio family who were shot and killed execution-style on Friday is among the the evidence investigators are examining, CBS News has confirmed.

The threat specifically called out Christopher Rhoden Jr., who died along with seven other members of the Rhoden family, in a string of shootings at four rural locations.

"I'm aware of the Facebook threat," Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine told CBS News. "Every piece of information is valuable and our investigators are certainly taking that into consideration."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/facebook-threat-targeted-executed-ohio-family/

When I saw that big shiny new steel barn with few/no windows, with no indication of any pens or pastures for animals, my first thought was that they were raising high-end marijuana, or chickens, or had a body/paint shop big enough to paint tractor-trailer rigs. (A raised portion on a building like that often houses ventilation equipment.) With their interest in racing, I was leaning to the body shop. Now I'm not so sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something I find odd and maybe this is just me, but some of these people, held down regular jobs and all of them less than glamorous IMO. I don't understand why they would have jobs like the ones they had, if they had money coming in from another

Perhaps a legitimate cover to meet with others to distribute the product. They most certainly would not want a ton of people coming and going at the house/lab/storage.

Carrying these forward from thread 1...

1) Dana Rhoden 3122 Union Hill
2) 4077 & 4199 Union Hill
3) Map showing distance between 1 & 2
4) Map showing distance between 1, 2 and 799 Left Fork where Kenneth was found.

The first house shown is the house at Left Fork

Plenty of people do exactly that to lay low. They have the money but they aren't flashing it to not be suspicious. Working their regular jobs to show how they are paying their bills.

I've been following this awful case with great interest. One thing I've noticed in the aerial photos is the dogs tied up outside, and the big dirt circles where they're chained to their houses. In one of the overhead photos I can see one dog, but not the others. Wouldn't the dogs have been barking when an intruder/intruders showed up? Were some of the dogs shot or killed, too? And these dogs and the houses don't show up in the google photos, so have been put there since those pics were taken. Were the dogs for protection or to sound the alarm? Or maybe they were just hunting dogs... they don't seem to have been pets, though.

IMO - now we know why KR and GR were there from KY. If earlier posts are correct GR and KR were popped for marijuana growing and for drug running. This is all drug related and it's starting to make sense. Look for the feds to get involved if it does connect back to Mexico. It's not sounding like a little back woods feud, someone very deliberate and methodical planned and executed. I still say the key is KR and GR - still weird to go 30 miles out of the way to kill one more...........dealers don't like they're supplies messed with or money messed with and my bet is someone screwed over the way wrong people or didn't deliver on what they said they would..........

And from what I remember, one if them had an indoor grow operation he was busted for. I really find it too much of a coincidence for the relative that was busted for a grow operation to be there and all killed and there were three grow operations on the land.

I am not buying into the cockfighting or dog fighting- and I am not sold on some disgruntled ex.....
Could it be something with gun trafficking?
I am sure there is some info that LE has not released yet....
Also, it is not yet established how grandiose these pot cultivation sites were, correct?

CNN is reporting that the pot growing at all three homes was commerical level and sophisticated. I think the federal agencies have different levels of "commercial producers" ranging from say, local to regional to national level orgainizations moving tons.

I also agree that dog or *advertiser censored* fighting is unlikely as the money simply is not there. A deadly dispute from this would probably have led to say, a drive by shooting at the principal rival's house, or a shooting outside of a rural tavern.

I would not rule out a personal dispute though. Even relatively minor property disputes in rural areas can become extremely personal. Likewise, people in rural areas of appalachia or the deep south can still have a sense of the old honor culture. Insults, incidents of "disrepect", public humiliation, etc. can escalate. Though there has not been an escalation leading to the targetting of an entire family in generations, I would not rule an honor motivation out.

But in the end, I am guessing local or regional drug rivals.

Are there any outlaw motorcycle gangs in the area? This really sounds more bikie related than cartel to me. Bikies will without hesitation eliminate a threat to their drug earnings. The bikie gangs of today are replicating the old ways the mafia conducted business, they rely heavily on the drug trade, stand-over tactics or delegation as they call it (settling business disputes) & debt collection as there main source of revenue. They have been known to be brutal in dealing with anyone undermining their business operations & they are hard core in sending a strong message to anyone else about what to expect should anyone be thinking of doing the same. The way this crime was committed is exactly how a bikie gang would carry out such an operation without fear or favour, I am related by marriage to a sergeant at arms of an OMG & we have no contact with them at all because of who he is for our safety, what we don't know can't harm us, but I know from past experience & word of mouth this is the type of thing they would do. They also are heavily involved in the transport industry, most of their leaders own trucking or heavy haulage companies, this gives them a foot in the door of virtually every industry, they turn up wearing their colours & their rivals are too scared & intimidated to compete against them.
Ironic that you mention bike gangs, I did see ties to one in particular that one of the deceased was involved with .

I've been following this awful case with great interest. One thing I've noticed in the aerial photos is the dogs tied up outside, and the big dirt circles where they're chained to their houses. In one of the overhead photos I can see one dog, but not the others. Wouldn't the dogs have been barking when an intruder/intruders showed up? Were some of the dogs shot or killed, too? And these dogs and the houses don't show up in the google photos, so have been put there since those pics were taken. Were the dogs for protection or to sound the alarm? Or maybe they were just hunting dogs... they don't seem to have been pets, though.

I haven't seen anything that's been released about the dogs either, and have wondered the same thing :frown: I have seen FB pic's posted of a black dog with one of the victims :frown:

This post falls at random.

We rely on facts for speculation. Members are free to read rumors on other sites the live long day. But the rules state - If you can't link to it just don't mention it. So read away. But leave it there.

"Extensive marijuana grow operations were found at three of the sites, DeWine told reporters Sunday.
An official with knowledge of the operation told CNN's Nick Valencia that the marijuana wasn't being grown for personal use.
"It was for something much bigger than that. It was a very sophisticated operation," the official said.
Such operations are often located indoors, and use elaborate lighting, watering and feeding systems designed to yield crops every three to four months, according to an April article in Police Chief magazine."

[video=cnn;us/2016/04/24/ohio-killings-marijuana-grow-operations-nick-valencia.cnn]http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/25/us/ohio-family-killed-marijuana/index.html[/video]

Did anyone who has seen facebooks of victims see the threat to Chris JR before it disappeared? JMO

I've been following this awful case with great interest. One thing I've noticed in the aerial photos is the dogs tied up outside, and the big dirt circles where they're chained to their houses. In one of the overhead photos I can see one dog, but not the others. Wouldn't the dogs have been barking when an intruder/intruders showed up?

Good observations. Then factor in that people commercially growing marijuana may well sleep "with one eye open" and awaken easily at the sound of their dogs barking. Perhaps the dogs knew the murderer(s)?

I haven't seen anything that's been released about the dogs either, and have wondered the same thing :frown: I have seen FB pic's posted of a black dog with one of the victims :frown:

It's one of a number of things that makes me think that at least one of the killers was someone who knew the victims very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie