OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlcya

Old and Re-Tired Websleuth
Reaction score
PIKE COUNTY, Ohio (WSAZ) -- An act of violence that has shaken the small community of Piketon in Pike County, Ohio is leaving many in disbelief.

Eight people, including a teenager, were all killed execution-style in four separate locations Friday in the Peebles area of Pike County, Ohio near the Adams County line Friday.

http://www.wsaz.com/content/news/Inv...376728131.html

Shootings with multiple fatalities reported in southern Ohio

Posted: 10:47 AM, April 22, 2016
Updated: 11:42 AM, April 22, 2016

CINCINNATI - A shooting involving multiple fatalities was reported in rural Ohio on Friday morning, but details on the number of deaths and the whereabouts of the suspect or suspects weren't immediately clear.

The attorney general's office said a dozen Bureau of Criminal Investigation agents had been called to Pike County, an economically struggling area in the Appalachian region some 80 miles east of Cincinnati. Spokesman Dan Tierney says the Pike County sheriff's office requested state help at 8:20 a.m.

Tierney had no information on whether a suspect was in custody. He also had no confirmation on the number of fatalities...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/n...ported-in-ohio

PIKE COUNTY, OH (WCMH/WDTN) — The Pike County Sheriff’s Office has confirmed that there were seven adults and one 16-year-old juvenile who were killed execution-style Friday late morning. They were all members of the same family. Death notifications were still being made Friday night.

Three children survived; a 4-day-old, 6-month-old and 3-year-old. The newborn’s mother is among those victims shot. Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine said it does not appear any of the victims committed suicide.

http://wdtn.com/2016/04/22/ohio-bci-...d=twitter_wdtn

PIKE COUNTY, Ohio (WSAZ) -- The names and dates of birth for the eight victims killed in execution-style murders in Pike County, Ohio Friday have been released. The names are as follows:

• Hannah Gilley, DOB 02/28/1996
• Christopher Rhoden, Sr., DOB 09/17/1975
• Christopher Rhoden, Jr., DOB 11/04/1999
• Clarence "Frankie" Rhoden, DOB 08/10/1995
• Dana Rhoden, DOB 08/29/1978
• Gary Rhoden, DOB 12/19/1977
• Hanna Rhoden, DOB 04/07/1997
• Kenneth Rhoden, DOB 03/30/1972

http://www.wsaz.com/content/news/Inv...376728131.html (this link also contains audio of the 911 calls)

A victim's advocate provided a short statement on behalf of the Rhoden family Saturday afternoon.

"The Rhoden family would like to thank everyone for all the outpouring for prayers and support for their family," she read. "They ask that you continue to keep them in your prayers. They'd like to thank all law enforcement from Pike County and all surrounding counties for their immediate response, especially to Sheriff Charlie Reader for all his hard work."

http://www.chillicothegazette.com/st...l-22/83380444/

They eight victims have been identified as: recent-father and husband-to-be Frankie Rhoden and his 20-year-old fiancee Hannah Hazel Gilley; 22-year-old mother Hanna May Rhoden; grandmother-to-be Dana Lynn Rhoden, 37; 16-year-old Chris Rhoden Jr; 40-year-old Chris Rhoden Sr; 38-year-old Gary Rhoden and 44-year-old Kenneth Rhoden.

[...]

During a news conference on Friday evening, Attorney General Mike DeWine said authorities have interviewed more than 30 people and will talk to more of them as the investigation continues.

'We will continue until the case is solved. We do not know whether we're talking about one individual or two or three or more,' DeWine added.
No person of interest has been apprehended and investigators are looking at different theories.

They believe the killers targeted the family specifically, and DeWine said there was no indication of a threat towards the rest of the community.

The rest of the family has been in touch with the sheriff's office for their protection.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz46h5rLZf2 (this link further describes who's who and the familial relationships of the victims to one another)

Investigators found three marijuana “grow operations” at residences where eight family members were slain in southern Ohio, state Attorney General Mike DeWine said Sunday at a news conference.

He didn’t say whether the marijuana was connected to the execution-style killings discovered last Friday at four residences in Piketon.

http://fox13now.com/2016/04/23/autho...e-county-ohio/

PRESSER: APRIL 24, 2016

MOD NOTE: Tricia has given permission for sleuths to discuss the criminal records of the family members who were murdered. In light of the grow operations they may be very relevant. Please refrain from posting criminal histories of other individuals who have not been named persons of interest or suspects by LE or simply because they have the last name of the victims or may be a distant cousin or aunt. Stick with the victims for now. That may change as more develops on this case.

MOD NOTE: Please don't speculate about the current custody of the minor children who were left alive. It is a blessing they are alive. If posting snips from articles regarding the children please redact their names. These babes are innocents. one day they will google their names. And plenty will come up. Thanks.

Thread #1
Thread #2

CASE NOTES (courtesy of cujenn81) this link contains locations, distance, victim info, relationships and more.

Someone in thread #2 stated that family's grow operation was around smallish, around 200 plants but they didn't cite where they got that info. Where was that information obtained? I've not see LE specify anything about the size of the grow operations other than their were "three separate" operations for growing pot on the various properties where the victims were found.

'Due to the meticulously planned and professional execution style killings of the 8 Rhoden family members. Cartel involvement is highly likely, imo'.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/7-mysteries-from-the-pike-county-murders/nrBb6/
<snipped & BBM>

7 mysteries from the Pike County murders

7. What is the drug history of Pike County?

In August 2012, Ohio law enforcement officers found &#8220;a major marijuana grow site in Pike County with suspected ties to a Mexican drug cartel,&#8221; according to a press release DeWine&#8217;s office issued at that time.
Investigators discovered about 1,200 marijuana plants &#8212; which were destroyed &#8212; and they also found evidence of two abandoned campsites they believe belonged to Mexican nationals.
It has not been indicated by authorities that there is any connection between this incident in 2012 and the operations found on the Rhoden properties.
Piketon is a community of 2,158 in Pike County, which has 28,217 residents, according to the 2015 census. The county is classified by the Appalachian Regional Commission as &#8220;distressed&#8221; and the unemployment rate is among the highest in the state, according to the county website.

Someone in thread #2 stated that family's grow operation was around smallish, around 200 plants but they didn't cite where they got that info. Where was that information obtained? I've not see LE specify anything about the size of the grow operations other than their were "three separate" operations for growing pot on the various properties where the victims were found.

2. What was the size of the grow operation discovered that determined it was professional, not for personal use?

DeWine said marijuana grow operations were found at three of the four crime scenes, but he did not disclose the amount of drugs found.
Authorities also wouldn&#8217;t say publicly whether they thought the killings were drug-related, but an official with knowledge of the operation told CNN&#8217;s Nick Valencia: &#8220;This operation was not for personal use; it was for something much bigger than that. It was a very sophisticated operation.&#8221;

<snipped - read more @ Li8nk>
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/7-mysteries-from-the-pike-county-murders/nrBb6/

Ok, ive now convinced myself that the Cartels were not involved.
If you are dealing with the likes of the Cartels and you have even the slightest inkling you have wronged them in some way you are going to be sleeping armed and on high alert. Im not saying they were dealing with top guys from the Cartels but even dealing with an intermediary or someone else working for the Cartels then that person is going to let you know who you are ultimately going to answer to.

I know they are a big family but i dont think even they would think they were untouchable if dealing with Cartels.

I really think its to do with something or someone more local.

Now back to the housework :)

The marijuana grow operations found were not simply a few random plants in a field somewhere, the Columbus Dispatch reported from an interview with Pike County Prosecutor Rob Junk. He told Dispatch reporters at least one was indoors and there appeared to be several hundreds of plants.
&#8220;It wasn&#8217;t just somebody sitting pots in the window,&#8221; Junk told the Dispatch.

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/n...y-shooting-could/nrBzy/?videoIconPresent=true

Also says autopsy results could be released today.

Moving forward....

On April 12th, there was a *advertiser censored* fighting bust from an "anonymous tip" that happened in Fort Gay, WV which is about 2 hours South of Piketon and 1 hour South of Greenup, KY. IMO, these 2 hours would not be a long distance to travel to attend/fight chickens. If the Rhodens were involved in fighting chickens, it would not be unlikely that they knew the person busted through the *advertiser censored* fighting circles.

http://www.wsaz.com/content/news/An...ting-operation-in-Wayne-County-375584381.html

http://www.thenewscenter.tv/content...rged-in-cockfighting-operation-375712731.html

That was me. My information was taken from this link:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/officia...ound-in-executed-ohio-familys-grow-operation/

Nothing about this case is making sense to me, but the biggest thing that is throwing me off is the fact that the family was killed throughout multiple locations.

That detail makes it very hard to pinpoint a motive. If it was a relationship gone bad (an ex is upset with another) it would MAYBE make sense for there to be multiple victims (in addition to the target) in one house because others may have seen or heard and could identify the assailant. But why go through the trouble of going to THREE other properties and killing more people?

If it was a cartel hit, or something related to the marijuana operation, that also doesn't make sense with the multiple crime scenes. In the interview I watched with Dana's father he stated the family had dogs, several of them, and breeds that are known to be guard dogs. He also stated that whoever is responsible is likely someone the dogs were friendly with, and I agree with that. I haven't heard of any signs of forced entry, nor the dogs being injured, shot, etc. All of that points to whoever is responsible being very familiar with the family. I don't buy that the cartel was someone that was frequenting the family homes enough to know their dogs, know where their key was hidden, know what residents would be in which house, etc.

That, to me, leaves only one plausible theory which is that someone very close with the family was upset and killed the entire family. They would know who would be home, in which house, at what times, and have the knowledge to plan this very carefully, as the sheriff has stated occurred. But the question is why, and who? Who had THAT big of a grudge against MULTIPLE different members of this family?

I just can't get past the fact that a person (or people) planned this at multiple houses, to target multiple victims.

From the article here...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/over-60-people-interviewed-in-ohio-family-murder-investigation/

It says "A law enforcement source confirmed to CBS News that investigators found some 200 marijuana plants. They were inside an indoor grow operation that was found in some of the homes where the eight members of the Rhoden family were executed."

It's claiming that the plants were found in some of the homes and I see no mention of out buildings, previous articles said at 3 locations so I assume at 3 of the homes. This is NOT a huge cartel level operation. This is small stuff. This is for local sell and self use and nothing more. In fact, it could very well be for self use. I know pot smokers that would smoke the equivalent of 1 plant a month by themselves. Looking at it that way, 200 plants doesn't add up to much at all. I am not a smoker but I have a friend who smokes for medical use and you really don't get a lot from one plant as a person would think. If they were growing inside the homes in which they live, this gives them smaller space to grow which will lead to smaller growth and high rate of disease to the plants and smaller yield. This may seem like big stuff to LE but it really is little stuff. Some 200 plants between 3 properties and possibly divided among 6 or more people is nothing if you think about it. Now if we were talking about a major grow operation in outer buildings of some 1000 or more plants, that is cartel worthy - this is not. This is personal use and maybe a little extra cash use. At the best, this crop is street valued at $6,000 and that is giving credit for a very high yield to someone who is super experienced at growing and selling at the highest prices out there.

All this information is available on the web. I also have a few "hippie" friends that know a little something about this so they gave me the breakdown.

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer but I think it is only wise that factual information should be posted about the FBI and their role in assisting local or state jurisdiction cases like this. The incorrect information becomes fact as posters assume it to be true.

They CANNOT take over a state case as some seem to think nor can they become the lead agency either in any murder case that is under the jurisdictional control of local law enforcement.. If they come into this case it will be only because Sheriff Reader ASKED them to assist. Assist being the key word. Their actual role is nothing like it seems on crime shows.

The FBI answers this question on their website.

If a crime is committed that is a violation of local, state, and federal laws, does the FBI “take over” the investigation?

No. State and local law enforcement agencies are not subordinate to the FBI, and the FBI does not supervise or take over their investigations. Instead, the investigative resources of the FBI and state and local agencies are often pooled in a common effort to investigate and solve the cases. In fact, many task forces composed of FBI agents and state and local officers have been formed to locate fugitives and to address serious threats like terrorism and street violence.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/faqs

Is there a connection with the post office bust on feb 4th. No names have been releasd and why. They said the value was a hundred thousand dollars. Someone owes that money

From the article here...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/over-60-people-interviewed-in-ohio-family-murder-investigation/

It says "A law enforcement source confirmed to CBS News that investigators found some 200 marijuana plants. They were inside an indoor grow operation that was found in some of the homes where the eight members of the Rhoden family were executed."

It's claiming that the plants were found in some of the homes and I see no mention of out buildings, previous articles said at 3 locations so I assume at 3 of the homes. This is NOT a huge cartel level operation. This is small stuff. This is for local sell and self use and nothing more. In fact, it could very well be for self use.

Thank you for the article, this is what I've been saying they're not big time dealers. They sold things to make more money, and worked other jobs. I believe there's around 30,000 people in the county, alot of drug problems. I just don't see every crime in the county being connected to them, or in the surrounding areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy