OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
But why would DS know the amount? Unless Daily Mail decided it for him, which I wouldn't doubt.

I tend to take anything reported by a tabloid with a grain of sale. Also, it doesn't make sense to me why DS would tell so much to some reporter who isn't even local or regional and with whom he could not possibly have even been familiar with?

I find myself going to bed thinking about this case and waking up thinking about it and the one thought that keeps repeatedly coming up for me is this; the person(s) who did this - likely motivated by revenge and/or envy - are NOT devoid of ALL empathy and compassion. I know that seems crazy to say considering the fact that they killed eight people; however, they did not kill the children, so they have some moral code, as bizzarre as that may be. A "normal" person would ask how is it caring for/about a child to kill the child's parent? And with the child in the home when the parent is being killed? I wonder if this person or persons, for some reason, convinced themselves that these children were somehow better off without their parents? Perhaps the key to finding the killer(s) is not so much in looking at those they killed, but who they allowed to live; the children. There was a rationale for letting the kids live. IMO, The killer(s) will not be able to simply go on with business or life as usual. They will exhibit signs of emotionally distress. Those close to them will notice these changes and be tempted to write it off as nothing. I hope they don't. JMO .

Leaving the children alive is the one thing that leads me to believe that several were killed simply because they could answer the question "who was around last night". If it was revenge as in "I wiped out your entire family" revenge, they would have killed the little ones also.

I tend to take anything reported by a tabloid with a grain of sale. Also, it doesn't make sense to me why DS would tell so much to some reporter who isn't even local or regional and with whom he could not possibly have even been familiar with?

Which is why I stated I wouldn't doubt if they decided that.

He was most likely paid for his interview. JMO

The Daily Mail isn't even an American tabloid. They are a tabloid out of Great Britain. They are sensationalist and I wouldn't be surprised if the whole story they told has been made up. How does some reporter with a very foreign-sounding name score such a big interview - over any of the local or regional reporters who have likely been hounding all of the family and with whom the family might have some familiarity.

I suppose the tabloid could have paid DS for his interview, but I would think DS, being a person who found one of the victims, and being a family member would be very careful about what he said to anyone, particularly since the Sheriff has warned the family to arm themselves.

This has been bothering me too. I haven't found one post from any of their friends about the death. Not one. Has anyone seen anything?

It doesn't surprise me at all. The last place I would expect to see HR's boyfriend or anyone close to the family is on Facebook. If anyone is going to talk/gossip on FB, I think they would be worried or sensitive enough to make the posts private.

We have the same problem, if we were to call the LE (Police) in the closest city in our area, we are transferred to the Sherriff for our County. Even though the City police station is closer to our home. Jurisdiction. You gotta know which Law enforcement agency is specific to your area should you need LE, Ambo, etc. Out in the country each area within a certain county has specific first responders. In the event of a fire, all the counties FD within a reasonably distance, as well as your "local" FD that have the capability to pump, fill their tankers with water from a pond usually respond to a fire that cannot be contained by a single fire department. We also have several VFD that respond. You know when they are coming because they still use the old station siren to alert the volunteers to report to the station. We have no fire hydrants in these parts and rely on tankers or ponds on our property to supply the water to fight the fire.

The only thing I could come up with besides it was just a number pulled out of DM's ....that it was $1000 would be maybe a currency band was also found? Besides someone sitting and counting it or LE letting someone know.

10k_lg.jpg

Definitely. We were always a "handle it ourselves" family. Nobody would call the cops in a situation. Someone wants to beat up on their wife? The men would step in and there would be problems. Not that someone would necessarily be murdered over it, but you know what I mean. Growing up in these parts your consistently told to handle your own, your a snitch or a b*tch if you call the cops. Especially if these families are dealing with pot.

For example, a family member was pushed down the stairs by an ex husband. While she herself did not grow pot or have large amounts in her home, she was scared she would call the cops and they would search her house for whatever reason, find a tiny smoking device and $10 worth of weed and take her to jail. Especially because in these parts you hear stories of corruption more than good. You know that you are looked down on. It's scary. People in these parts fear LE isn't there to protect them, so they don't get involved. They fear being looked down on as someone that casually smokes pot into a big criminal when they may be a very hard worker that does it just to relax, they fear their word won't be taken over LE. They fear losing everything knowing they don't have the money for the legal fees.

Obviously, the Rhoden's had more than just $10 worth of pot, but that's the point. They strike me as the type to handle it themselves. Which could have been a reason nobody called 911. We have no idea if CRsr and GR heard the gunshots, or FR and HG, or whatever, but they may have been arming themselves to handle it, not call.

Or again, that hearing gun shots was normal, like it is here. I've heard a dozen more since I posted hearing some early this morning. No reason for me to call the police because it's normal.

I'm just going in circles and arguing with my own theories. I'm stumped.

Best explanation I've heard yet. I grew up in this environment and still live in Appalachia. This is how it is. You handle your own, you don't call LE.

To me, it seemed she wasting out of her way to mention it because the operator didn't say anything about how she got into the house. Also, if you look at the transcript, the information about the key is the longest group of statements she makes and the most complex sentence structure. It sounds rehearsed and seems out of place for the tone of the rest of the call.

I know I'm going to bop my forehead when I read the answer but what does "BBM" mean? "Big Bolding Mine"? "Bigger, badder, Meaner"? "Bacon, Bacon, Morebacon"?

I think that's only part of the 911 call.

It doesn't surprise me at all. The last place I would expect to see HR's boyfriend or anyone close to the family is on Facebook. If anyone is going to talk/gossip on FB, I think they would be worried or sensitive enough to make the posts private.

Speaking of the boyfriend....I do hope that he and Daddy are not contracted to clean up the crime scenes.....that would be REALLY imprudent. JMO

The money thing, if there's any validity to it, might send a message of, "here's your damn money!"
Maybe someone owed the family money, the family was hounding/harassing them about it, and the person snapped and killed them. Then threw some money at Kenneth's feet.

I don't know. It could be absolutely anything at this point. We haven't ruled out bigfoot, either.

I doubt anybody who was willing to kill on this scale would have been bothered by killing children, they only killed 8 as their were only 8 people there, if there had been other people staying in the four homes they too would have been killed, to me this shows that it is personal, the children were spared because the killer/s knew them and whatever motive they had for killing all the others it did not extend to the children,

I suspect that they didn't kill the children only because they were to young to identify the perps.

There have been a couple of associates quoted but not many and not since last weekend that I've seen. It is strange that no human interest articles have been written about the victims from friends or workmates perspectives this far out. Maybe after the funerals.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I've seen quotes from CRsr's boss and a coworker of DR. But one recent article said a person where CRjr worked refused to say anything other than this is a time for mourning. I think they are pissed that some have portrayed the family or area in an unflattering light and they've clammed up. The family comments at the vigil were appropriate when they thanked the media that reported facts correctly.

I think that's only part of the 911 call.

So do I. I'm quite sure that I heard the unedited version on CNN. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I know what I gleaned from it, and was LATER surprised by contradictions. JMO

Maybe this has been answered before, but I'm new here. Kenneth was found hours later. I don't understand why someone wasn't trying to contact him right away to notify him of his brother's death, along with all of the others. I wonder if it took hours to notify the Manleys and CR1's mother or the two surviving brothers. Just seems odd to me that no one tried to notify the family sooner. I can't even imagine what Chris Sr.'s mother is going through. She has buried two sons, husband, ex-daughter-in-law, and three grandchildren.

I imagine someone in the Rhoden family was called immediately by one of the Manley's. You can just imagine the calls, upset, lack of info, and chaos. It's very possible someone assumed someone talked to Kenneth or that after several calls to him with no answer, someone asked DS to check on him. I don't think anyone expected top find him dead because if they did, I doubt DS would have gone to his place alone. And that's another question...did someone go with him to KR's place?

So, we've talked a bit about whether or not Sheriff Reader's claim that he's never dealt with the Rhoden family in a criminal capacity was honest or dishonest. Have we considered why he may have said that in the first place? The Rhodens have criminal histories. That is undisputed. I'm not sure what relevance there is in whether or not he was personally involved in their cases. Seems like a weird thing to mention.

I think the multiple shots were either information extraction or torture. Only a couple bodies had that many shots, and it's easy to assume the bloodiest scene (Chris and Gary) might be the one with the most bullets. They would also be the brains of the operation.

I do see anger and showing someone what happens when you do whatever they did to tick these people off, though. They crossed the wrong people, and paid with their lives. That's how I see it.

Three of the shots in GR could have also hit CRsr.

So, we've talked a bit about whether or not Sheriff Reader's claim that he's never dealt with the Rhoden family in a criminal capacity was honest or dishonest. Have we considered why he may have said that in the first place? The Rhodens have criminal histories. That is undisputed. I'm not sure what relevance there is in whether or not he was personally involved in their cases. Seems like a weird thing to mention.
He was asked, I think it was a canned response he was coached to give. If not, he is very political savvy, not a good sign for a sheriff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member