Cooper Harris - Sidebar Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christian Boone ‏@ReporterJCB 28m28 minutes ago
Defense: Media furor in this case" was pushed by #RossHarris supporters, citing ******** page, #hotcardeath

You know...I kind of think is true. I remember I first heard about the case because Ross was being charged with murder for leaving his child in a hot car. We had very little information but I remember his friends and family were all over social media defending him. They even made a video about it...Does anyone remember that? Wasn't there a video made that was against some public official? I'm surprised it's the defense bringing this up.

The state made that argument, not the DT. IMO that was a “he did it first” kind of assertion. Doesn’t matter, legally, what got the media rolling, just whether or not media saturation has so tainted the prospective jury pool as to deny RH a fair trial.

The timing of the DT’s motion for change of venue doesn’t matter either. Maybe it was DT strategy to gamble by waiting, maybe not. The DT has the right to strategize motions, as does the State. Only the bottom line matters. Does the voir dire to date support the DT’s contention the venue must be changed in order to protect RH’s constitutional right to a fair trial?

I was interested to see the DT argue that the Irwin USSC findings I posted about yesterday should be used as the standard for considering potential juror bias/prejudice. Even more interesting was the State’s reply that the Irwin standard applied only to DP cases, a point I noticed the DT did not rebut.

Staley will rightfully do an analysis of the numbers. If the DT had unlimited strikes, the number of prospective jurors left uncontested seems a large point in the state’s favor. Staley said she would review her full notes for those struck by consent for cause, looking for whether or not jurors mentioned being influenced by media coverage, but the sense I had as they all went quickly through the list was that the numbers wouldn’t be enough to support the DT’s motion, if Staley makes numbers and not Irwin (et al) the basis of her ruling.

I think Staley made her disdain known for the DT’s timing of motion, if nothing else, with her caustic barb that “as we’ve seen here today, opinions change….” (DT didn’t want a change of venue before, now they do).

What are some other high-profile national trials where the defendant was not a celebrity, wealthy, or attractive? I feel like JRH is setting a new precedent here. I honestly hate that the media insists on using pictures of JRH over Cooper. And not just in a "Show the victim, not the killer" way but because I find JRH extremely hard to look at.

It's typical for the media to focus on defendants rather than their alleged victims, and that only gets more pronounced during trial, a fact which too often contributes to victims' families feeling what happened to their loved ones becomes secondary.

What are some other high-profile national trials where the defendant was not a celebrity, wealthy, or attractive? I feel like JRH is setting a new precedent here. I honestly hate that the media insists on using pictures of JRH over Cooper. And not just in a "Show the victim, not the killer" way but because I find JRH extremely hard to look at.
LOL. I found RH extremely unattractive from the get go--that fat face! Then his sexting, yuck. Recall Rob Lowe had some sex video scandal 20 yes ago (in Atlanta??) Then he played some unsympathetic roles. I think one appeal of the O.J case was because O. J. and Nicole both had movie star good looks.
I do hope we see more photos of cute Cooper, such a contrast with his dad, like good vs evil.

****Snipped For Brevity ****

http://www.cbs46.com/story/31864136...o-move-justin-ross-harris-trial#ixzz47VqpgqAB

Kilgore said false information in the case has caused a community bias against the defendant. He said early on, detectives falsely claimed that Harris had researched hot car deaths. "That is not true," said Kilgore, adding that that single piece of incorrect information has perhaps caused the most damage to his client's ability to get a fair trial.

This is why I'm on the fence about this case. At the very least, I believe there may have been exaggerations and statements taken out of context. I'm keeping an open mind until I find out the true facts. Many of the prospective jurors are allowing their emotions and dislike of JRH to dictate their opinions about this case.

This is why I'm on the fence about this case. At the very least, I believe there may have been exaggerations and statements taken out of context. I'm keeping an open mind until I find out the true facts. Many of the prospective jurors are allowing their emotions and dislike of JRH to dictate their opinions about this case.

It definitely appears that LE has been loose with some of the descriptions of JRH's actions. It will be interesting to see what comes out during the trial.

well, maybe he didn't search "hot car deaths" in particular, but his searches skirted around that issue:

Harris visited a subreddit about “people who die,” which shows videos of people dying (suicide, executions, war, etc.). He also visited a subreddit called child-free and searched the Internet for “how to survive in prison” and “age of consent for Georgia.”

“We’ve only scratched the surface,” said Stoddard in regards to the searches police have done on Harris’ computers.

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2014/07/03/justin-ross-harris-cooper-toddler-hot-car-death-live-blog

__

"Leanna Harris, the child's mother, was also questioned regarding the incident and made similar statements regarding researching in car deaths and how it occurs,'' according to new search warrants made public Sunday.

Warrants showed the boy's father, Justin "Ross" Harris, 33, also recently researched the topic. The warrants do not say when those searches took place. "During an interview with Justin, he stated that he recently researched, through the internet, child deaths inside vehicles and what temperature it needs to be for that to occur. Justin stated that he was fearful that this could happen," the warrants said.

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2014/06/wife_of_justin_ross_harris_als.html

The biggest issue against Harris is not that he looked up any versions of death in a car, it's that he "forgot" Cooper was in the car in less than 1 minute after strapping him in his car seat.....IMO. The State/LE did not lie about that issue.

well, maybe he didn't search "hot car deaths" in particular, but his searches skirted around that issue:

Harris visited a subreddit about “people who die,” which shows videos of people dying (suicide, executions, war, etc.). He also visited a subreddit called child-free and searched the Internet for “how to survive in prison” and “age of consent for Georgia.”

“We’ve only scratched the surface,” said Stoddard in regards to the searches police have done on Harris’ computers.

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2014/07/03/justin-ross-harris-cooper-toddler-hot-car-death-live-blog“We’ve only scratched the surface,” said Stoddard in regards to the searches police have done on Harris’ computers.

__

Except that he apparently didn't search on the "child-free" forum either, and what's on search warrants isn't necessarily factual, much less solid evidence .of anything.

It might actually backfire on the State to have a lot of misleading info out there, if that's the case, because most of the jurors have been exposed to that info and seemingly have believed it. Fool me once and all that, especially if the DT's case is strong enough to persuade on reasonable doubt.

Really? especially since somehow that "admission" by RH was somehow not captured on video, and must not be supported by computer forensics. IMO It's increasingly obvious that what was in the search warrants might bear little resemblance to what was actually found on RH's computer. Since RH was employed in IT, that makes its own kind of sense, other explanations of arrogance etc. aside, that he would know how to erase his tracks if he'd really premeditated killing his baby.

The biggest issue against Harris is not that he looked up any versions of death in a car, it's that he "forgot" Cooper was in the car in less than 1 minute after strapping him in his car seat.....IMO. The State/LE did not lie about that issue.

The searches go directly to the charge of premeditation. "Forgetting" Cooper definitely goes to the child cruelty charges, but without supporting "evidence." very weakly so to malice murder

__

Except that he apparently didn't search on the "child-free" forum either, and what's on search warrants isn't necessarily factual, much less solid evidence .of anything.

It might actually backfire on the State to have a lot of misleading info out there, if that's the case, because most of the jurors have been exposed to that info and seemingly have believed it. Fool me once and all that, especially if the DT's case is strong enough to persuade on reasonable doubt.

I actually think that the prosecution's biggest liability is themselves. I have long wondered if their looseness with words will come back to the bite them. If the jurors don't find law enforcement to be trustworthy, I think that JRH will be acquitted on all of the child-cruelty and murder charges.

I believe that O.J. Simpson was acquitted in large part because of Mark Fuhrman. I hope that the same thing does not happen in this case.

ETA - I should have read the linked article before posting. I see that the article also mentions Mark Fuhrman. :-/

niner, try this: Go to WildAboutTrial the Justin Ross Harris live stream section (direct link HERE). Scroll down the page a bit to where there are tweets in a window just below the "chat" window. Scroll down through those to go back to the 29th and days prior. That is where I am seeing the tweets about the juror candidates.

okay - I went to this page

https://twitter.com/WildAboutTrial/with_replies

but when I scroll down to April 29th - he just talks about other trials... am I looking at the wrong page (again!) :( Did he not talk about each of the juror when they were questioned?

I'm not good at this... I do see his tweets for today's hearing, but as I said nothing in detail about the jurors from April 26 to 29th.... :gaah:

Help.jpg

Sorry for feeling so dense on this...

wait, I think I just missed the ruling. Did they just allow for the change of venue? Al I heard is that someone would assist with the logistics of the caravan as it goes down to wherever?

wait, I think I just missed the ruling. Did they just allow for the change of venue? Al I heard is that someone would assist with the logistics of the caravan as it goes down to wherever?

The decision has been deferred....

Judge Staley said that they are not going to bring jurors from another county into Cobb, and she wonders which rural county would take the case.

I just caught the tail end of the live feed. We are in recess until ETA 3pm local time (noon here in California). She initially said 4pm then moved it up to 3.

The Judge has passed this back to Counsel for them to "work it out" and if they can't then she will rule. She has stated she will not allow for jurors to be bussed in from out of the area. She mentioned that if the change of venue were to occur, there were many issues to consider (accommodations for the jury such as security, air conditioning, lodging, etc.), and at the end of the hearing, Vinnie Politan went on the air and commented. It sounded like the change of venue would put the case out in rural GA.

So, that's where we are right now. :waiting: until 3pm local time. Please chime in if I missed anything!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe the State has more than enough for Harris to be found guilty without any computer searches.

Christian Boone ‏@ReporterJCB 10m10 minutes ago
Judge asks "possibility we end up in rural community, away from support team" #RossHarris #hotcardeath
1 retweet 2 likes
Reply Retweet 1
Like 2
More
Craig LucieVerified account ‏@CraigLucie 10m10 minutes ago
"Who is going to accept us?" Judge Staley on motion filed to move #RossHarris trial out of #CobbCounty #wsbtv

It looks like the county would have to agree to the trial being moved there. Rural counties have less cases so more likely to accept, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998