OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, we're talking at least 1/10th of a mile between the two trailers. I'd not think a thing about hearing gunshots in the night around here. I'd not get up and arm myself, nor would I call the police, IF it even woke me (and I do sleep w/windows open on nice nights). I'd just go back to sleep, b/c I'd figure someone was running a critter off or playing with their new night sights. We shot for at least an hour and one of the guns we shot sounds like a bomb going off. Not one neighbor ventured out, called to see if anything was wrong, called 911 or anything. It could have been a slaughter going on here and no one would have been the wiser. People don't think about hearing gun shots in rural areas.

Maybe. But this isn't a usual situation. If you had a pot grow operation, expensive derby cars, etc., you might be a bit more alert.

That's what I'm given to understand, and that dogs barking not unusual, either.....but what about motorized vehicles at 3 or 4 am? Does anyone think they were dropped off and on foot?

I suspect it was either someone they knew or a frequent visitor that wouldn't put the car as suspicious for being there, or they parked a ways away and walked.. Also, electric cars are damn near silent. JMO.

But you can usually tell if they are next door or out in the woods.

as far as hearing it next door, who knows they could shoot so much themselves, nobody thinks anything of it.
but I still think some kind of silencer had to be used.

Maybe. But this isn't a usual situation. If you had a pot grow operation, expensive derby cars, etc., you might be a bit more alert.

But this IS a usual situation for these folks. This is their lifestyle.

ETA: While the operations aren't quite as big as these, everyone out here grows pot, everyone out here smokes pot, even people you would never think smoke or grow, smoke and grow, everyone does derby cars, this is normal. Not normal for certain areas, normal for others. This has been their life, for years and years. They didn't just suddenly start growing 200+ plants. This has been going on for a LONG time. JMO.

Well getting them arrested others can take over.

Killing an entire family can make people really think about taking over business of arrested people.

True, but with grow op it's not just someone getting arrested, they'd also get all their equipment confiscated. Particularly for an indoor op, that's at least $10K - not so easy to just get it back up and running.

I am starting to wonder if we should be starting to look closer at who WASN'T killed and why not.<modsnip>

That's what I'm given to understand, and that dogs barking not unusual, either.....but what about motorized vehicles at 3 or 4 am? Does anyone think they were dropped off and on foot?

That depends on if the road is out of the way or a short cut to somewhere else. My road, if there is a car on it that I don't recognize, I pay attention. It's not a short cut and no reason for people to be on it if they don't live here or aren't visiting neighbors. I only have two neighbors so I pretty much know everyone that uses this road. I'm not sure about the Rhoden property. Would it be a short cut going from piketon to peebles?

Especially if they get a heads up from someone they know in LE. JMO.
Exactly. Which I'm sorta wondering if there was someone seeing significant prison time if the Rhodens were thinking of rolling. . . jmo

Again, we're talking at least 1/10th of a mile between the two trailers. I'd not think a thing about hearing gunshots in the night around here. I'd not get up and arm myself, nor would I call the police, IF it even woke me (and I do sleep w/windows open on nice nights). I'd just go back to sleep, b/c I'd figure someone was running a critter off or playing with their new night sights. We shot for at least an hour and one of the guns we shot sounds like a bomb going off. Not one neighbor ventured out, called to see if anything was wrong, called 911 or anything. It could have been a slaughter going on here and no one would have been the wiser. People don't think about hearing gun shots in rural areas.

I know rural areas.

A lot depends on the time and where the shots are coming from and how many there are.

When you talk about 1/10th of a mile, that is a little over 500 ft. That is very close, especially for gunshots.

Exactly. Which I'm sorta wondering if there was someone seeing significant prison time if the Rhodens were thinking of rolling. . . jmo

While I'm a firm believer there are plenty of good cops, crooked cops exist, especially in these parts. And there is documented evidence of it in this sheriff's office. I'm not saying LE has had ANYTHING to do with any of this, but it's not something I'm ready to completely rule out yet. JMO.

Gunshots 1/10th of a mile away should get attention. Most country people don't have neighbors that close, if they do it is close family.

That depends on if the road is out of the way or a short cut to somewhere else. My road, if there is a car on it that I don't recognize, I pay attention. It's not a short cut and no reason for people to be on it if they don't live here or aren't visiting neighbors. I only have two neighbors so I pretty much know everyone that uses this road. I'm not sure about the Rhoden property. Would it be a short cut going from piketon to peebles?

there is the electric light pole cut out in the woods that runs buy all the locations, go through there on atv, walk trough wood, out with no traffic on the roads

as far as hearing it next door, who knows they could shoot so much themselves, nobody thinks anything of it.
but I still think some kind of silencer had to be used.
I think suppressors are used a lot less than most people think.

I don't think teen pregnancies are from being dumb, it's from being in love and things happen, nor is it to get assistance. My son is one of my best friends. :)
I did not mean that in a derogatory way, we call it being "young and dumb annnnd..." I'll leave that last part off. They just are not the best at using birth control in the heat of the moment. I'll put it that way.

I am thinking (hoping) that this case will be narrowed down from camera footage. The trailer supposedly had a camera that was removed. People mentioned possible trail cams. Isaiah said his home security camera will clear him. That tells me cameras are not unheard of! There are only so many roads in and out of the area. I sincerely hope they went house to house to get any footage the night of/ surrounding the murders. My guess is you will see someone hightailing it out of there.

But this IS a usual situation for these folks. This is their lifestyle.

ETA: While the operations aren't quite as big as these, everyone out here grows pot, everyone out here smokes pot, even people you would never think smoke or grow, smoke and grow, everyone does derby cars, this is normal. Not normal for certain areas, normal for others. This has been their life, for years and years. They didn't just suddenly start growing 200+ plants. This has been going on for a LONG time. JMO.

Then I contend that they had been on high alert for a LONG time.

And you might also be used to more people coming & going at odd hours.

When I lived in suburbia anything that was not part of the normal routine was cause for attention by nosy neighbors. A gunshot at anytime or an unknown car coming & going in the middle of the night would put folks on alert. Even a dog barking after 10 would be enough for a neighbor to look to see what was going on.

Living out in the boonies the sound of gunshots or dogs barking is like background noise.

It's just different, it's hard to explain to anyone who doesn't/hasn't lived in a very rural area.

Studies have shown that there can be a bit more to it socially and culturally whether in the country or inner cities. The gist is that young women (teen girls) may be more likely to have babies as it fulfills a role and gives their life a purpose when other options such as continuing education and employment aren't readily available. I'm glossing over it, but it's a cycle that is frequently repeated - some refer to it as the cycle of poverty. Their is huge pride in being a good momma.
Basically they are blinded by love and if they get pregnant they do not see past the cute baby that will be here in 9 months. When it arrives, and a lot of times the father departs, reality sinks in. Sad, but many times, true.

Then I contend that they had been on high alert for a LONG time.
There is a certain amount of higher alert in the country than in the city, even without something like this going on.

In the city you could walk past a neighbor every day for 3 months and have no idea what they look like. In the country you know who they are, where they work, who their family is etc, the day they move in.

there is the electric light pole cut out in the woods that runs buy all the locations, go through there on atv, walk trough wood, out with no traffic on the roads

Yeah. You or someone said that a while back and I didn't give it much thought, but it is a possibility...........are atv's loud? jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23