IN IN - Union Co., WhtFem UP4847, 18-26, in field off Route 27, Feb'84

The Liberty Herald newspaper article reported that human skeletal remains were found shortly before sunset in a farm field two miles northeast of Liberty, Indiana. The human skeletal remains was determined to be a white female in her late 20’s to early 30’s, medium build, and five feet four to five feet five inches tall.

Indiana law enforcement authorities believe the body had been deceased since July or August of 1983.

Identifiers
Fingerprints: Not Available
Dentals: Not Available
DNA: Not Available

I thought the NamUs age range was too young to include Viola Marie Findley (http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...a-Marie-Findley-29-Volusia-County-1-Sept-1983), but then the Liberty Herald snippet nerosleuth posted caught my eye with the age estimate of late 20s to early 30s. Viola went missing anywhere between Florida and Iowa - a huge swatch of possibilities. She has DNA and fingerprints available whereas this UID doesn't seem to have any so a comparison likely hasn't been automatically done yet by the system?

I know one of the people that found this body, she was only a teenager at the time but she vividly remembers seeing the skull and that it had a hole around the ear area of it. Would be great if anyone can put a name to this poor lady.

Does she have a Doe Net page? I couldn't find one.

Was this UIDs body cremated or buried? If it was buried there's a chance to have the body exhumed and a DNA sample taken as well as dental x-rays. Otherwise I'm not sure she'll ever be identified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just spoke with Scott McCord, who is the NamUs case manager state wide for Indiana cases.

I asked him if anything can be done to get this Jane Doe compared to Kimberly Blackburn. I told him that my previous attempts to inquire about this case have gotten nowhere. He says that he has frequently had similar experiences trying to drum up interest with local authorities on other cases in that state. But he is in the process of giving these cases more due diligence. And I know that Scott McCord is one of the more diligent of the people who work on these cases.

He wasn't in front of his desk, so he wasn't sure off the top of his head which case I was talking about, but he says that one of his colleagues has 26 cases stacked up in boxes in her office, and they are in the process of doing the anthropological work-ups on them.

He asked me to send him an email and he will reply with any additional info he can find on this case (and the potential connection to Kimberly Blackburn).

I just spoke with Scott McCord, who is the NamUs case manager state wide for Indiana cases.

I asked him if anything can be done to get this Jane Doe compared to Kimberly Blackburn. I told him that my previous attempts to inquire about this case have gotten nowhere. He says that he has frequently had similar experiences trying to drum up interest with local authorities on other cases in that state. But he is in the process of giving these cases more due diligence. And I know that Scott McCord is one of the more diligent of the people who work on these cases.

He wasn't in front of his desk, so he wasn't sure off the top of his head which case I was talking about, but he says that one of his colleagues has 26 cases stacked up in boxes in her office, and they are in the process of doing the anthropological work-ups on them.

He asked me to send him an email and he will reply with any additional info he can find on this case (and the potential connection to Kimberly Blackburn).

Great! Thanks, Carl. You're the #1 guy for getting UID work done, and done well.

Sure sounds like she could be Kimberly Blackburn. I wish that there had been a recon done.

Scott McCord replied back and says that this case is not among the 26 cases that they are working on. So he says that he will start "digging around" to see if he can find anything on this case. He says he will get back to me if he finds anything.

I feel like they would at least have her dentals if they still have her file. Even if she was cremated (Like they sometimes were back then), they would have had to do a full investigation on her, which includes autopsy. Fingers crossed that they find her file!

Larry Dewayne Hall is a convicted serial killer who lived in Wabash, IN in the 1970s and 80s. Hall traveled all over the Midwest, South, and Eastern U.S. -he was a Civil War re-enactor with a distinctive set of historically accurate sideburns. He has a twin brother. The brother has been co-operating with authorities. Hall would cruise college towns and areas near Civil War battle and Civil War memorial sites, areas associated with the Civil War, etc. looking for victims. He is known to have visited one Revolutionary War site. He is serving life in a southern prison. He seemed to be attracted to young women with dark (brunette) hair and heights ranging from 62-67 inches. It would not surprise me in the least if this young woman was one of his victims also. LE does not believe that Hall acted alone. One of the vehicles he drove was a Dodge van, similar to a van witnesses saw when the Springfield Three disappeared.

The link below contains a detailed timeline of LDH whereabouts and lists his known victims and an even longer list of alleged victims. The timeline does not contain info on his whereabouts in 1984. Surprisingly, he is not listed on Murderpedia. The below link also contains pics/mug shots of Hall with his sideburns.

http://maamodt.asp.radford.edu/Psyc 405/serial killers/Hall, Larry DeWayne.pdf

Number of victims 4 admitted, 40 alleged, 14 found = 54 total
Country where killing occurred United States
States where killing occurred Pennsylvania, Virginia, Maryland, West Virginia, Kentucky,
Tennessee, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Missouri,
Wisconsin, Georgia, Alabama
Cities where killing occurred Various cities among each of the states.

This is very close to where I grew up. Miami University is my alma mater and I was a financial advisor in Oxford, Ohio, roughly 15 miles away (and usually the town most people came to for shopping).

I don't feel like she was a Miami student after looking her up in the paper...also called "The Miami Student". It didn't mention this finding at all in the paper or anything about a missing female.

I would be interested to seeing if any progress has been made on this case.

I just saw the Larry Hall post with regards to this investigation. Most will not know this, but being a Civil at war buff Larry would have known that his favorite Civil War "character" was General Burnsides and he fashioned his looks after him. Liberty, IN was where General Burnsides was born. A lot of Larry's victims were found/snatched near prominent Civil War locations. I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't one of his victims.

AHHHH! This case caught my attention first because I live in Indiana and second because my aunt, Marcie Fuller Swinford, is listed as a possible victim of Larry Hall. Larry Hall was convicted of killing Jessica Roach who was also found in a farm field, in Perrysville, Indiana, which is located in a county on the western border of Indiana. I am going to go down the list of his suspected victims to see which of the ladies would fit into the specifics of this case.

Also, my aunt's murder is a cold case and is not listed in ISP's database so I'm not shocked that this one isn't either.

Good luck to Mr. McCord. I can't imagine that handling Indiana cases is an easy one even on the best days.

I've looked and looked. I'm with you Carl, I believe this could be Kimberly Blackburn and I'm thinking there is a good chance that she may be another victim of Hall. Hopefully they can get this figured out because a family needs closure and this girl deserves a name.

The NamUs casefile was edited just yesterday

https://identifyus.org/cases/4847

The following fields have been changed:
Fingerprints : Fingerprints Available changed from "" to "elsewhere"

Demographics : Body Condition changed from "" to "Not recognizable - Traumatic injuries"

DNA : DNA Status changed from "" to "none"

Dental : Dental Available changed from "" to "none"

So it appears that they finally located some info on this case. I had always thought the remains were skeletal.

It looks more like the remains were not decomposed, but badly damaged. Perhaps the body was run-over by a combine.

1466UFIN

1466UFIN - Unidentified Female

No_Image_Available_female.jpg

Date of Discovery: February 22, 1984
Location of Discovery: Union County, Indiana
Estimated Date of Death: 1983-1984
State of Remains: Unknown (disputed)
Cause of Death: Unknown

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 18-26 years old
Race: White
Sex: Female
Height: 5'5"
Weight: Unknown
Hair Color: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Possibly had a crippled leg.

Identifiers
Dentals: Unknown
Fingerprints: Unknown
DNA: Unknown

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Discovery
The remains were found by two people hunting arrowheads in a farmfield 2 1/2 miles northeast of Liberty on County Rd 150 East. Investigators, at the time, believed the body to have been there since July or August of 1983.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Union County Coroner's Office
Agency Contact Person: Julie Laird
Agency Phone Number: 765-580-0007
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: 72-0781

Agency Name: Newton County Coroner's Office
Agency Contact Person: Scott McCord
Agency Phone Number: 219-285-2515
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: Unknown

NCIC Case Number: Unknown