2016.02.26 Mark D. Sievers: ***ARREST*** GJ charged with Murder in the 1st Degree #2

I don't understand why anyone would file for wrongful death when none of the perps have a pot to pee in, so to speak. Am I missing something? Unless MS somehow was exonerated and got the life insurance proceeds, what would be in it for them?

I think it's usually not about the money. A wrongful death lawsuit is helpful to many victims' families for reasons besides the money.

I'm remembering the wrongful death suit against OJ and how the Goldman's fought and won.
:D It wasn't about getting money for themselves, but to facilitate the loss of money for the murderer of their son was and is priceless. IMO. That lawsuit really stuck it to OJ and he's probably still furious about it. I laugh out loud at this.

I think it's usually not about the money. A wrongful death lawsuit is helpful to many victims' families for reasons besides the money.

I'm remembering the wrongful death suit against OJ and how the Goldman's fought and won.
:D It wasn't about getting money for themselves, but to facilitate the loss of money for the murderer of their son was and is priceless. IMO. That lawsuit really stuck it to OJ and he's probably still furious about it. I laugh out loud at this.

The OJ civil case may have been won by the Goldman's but OJ was able to keep a very good pension and a very nice home in Florida. He also skirted paying the judgement by doing cash signing events and other despicable things. OJ was doing just fine until he screwed up in Las Vegas and went to prison.

In this case if for some reason any of the defendants are acquitted of this murder, I hope that a wrongful death suit is brought against them. They are not OJ. They will not be able to avoid a judgement and live the good life that OJ did for awhile. They would have to pay for the rest of their lives. JMO

I don't understand why anyone would file for wrongful death when none of the perps have a pot to pee in, so to speak. Am I missing something? Unless MS somehow was exonerated and got the life insurance proceeds, what would be in it for them?

Maybe to stop money that the murderer could make in the future....from a book, telling his story etc. I personally do not want any criminal to profit from the crime and stand behind this process. Doesn't the defendant also have to take the stand so the family is able to get answers they wouldn't otherwise get. I imagine the answers are more important than money. We see this clearly in the Rebecca Zahau case.

Continuing on with the example of the Goldmans, I think it's just as much about closure as anything else. Having it publically acknowledged that the victim would still be alive were it not for the defendant. Even if the punishment is only monetary in these cases, it's better than no punishment at all.

Sometimes the justice system fails, and people have to take their comfort from where they can get it.

Of course he was fine the eight months he was free, He is a psychopath and does not think he will face any consequences.

He does not think he will face consquences, but jail is getting tedious. Probably no marijuana, no women, and the food is not good.
And having the tables turned around where he is being totally controlled.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Where was TS suitcase found? I looked at crime scene photos today and it appears it is in the master bedroom. If that is the case, the attack happened in the kitchen. So, they were hiding and waited for her to put up her suitcase? Did they move it?
That suitcase was left behind by TS before their trip.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Maybe to stop money that the murderer could make in the future....from a book, telling his story etc. I personally do not want any criminal to profit from the crime and stand behind this process. Doesn't the defendant also have to take the stand so the family is able to get answers they wouldn't otherwise get. I imagine the answers are more important than money. We see this clearly in the Rebecca Zahau case.

Thanks to all who responded to my question about why a civil suit for wrongful death. Those were all good reasons that I hadn't thought of before. That's one of the things that makes this such a great forum!

coming out of :lurk: mode...

Wasn't there some kind of hearing on April 21st?? That's what I have in my notes - or is it being discussed on another thread?

TIA!! :wave:

back to :lurk:

Per Trent Kelly NBC-2 News on Facebook: BREAKING NEWS: A grand jury has indicted Mark Sievers and Jimmy Rodgers on first-degree murder charges in the death of Dr. Teresa Sievers of Bonita Springs, according to the State Attorney's Office. The two were previously charged with second-degree murder.

Hold on.... Opening new thread now for this.

Per Trent Kelly NBC-2 News on Facebook: BREAKING NEWS: A grand jury has indicted Mark Sievers and Jimmy Rodgers on first-degree murder charges in the death of Dr. Teresa Sievers of Bonita Springs, according to the State Attorney's Office. The two were previously charged with second-degree murder.

OMG!!! Now that is news, my friends!!!!

[video=twitter;729701749318139904]https://twitter.com/NDN_JCarpenter/status/729701749318139904[/video]

Received heads-up that Faga spoke to the media for over 30 minutes today. We will be getting more updates. Want to keep them in this thread so it's not co-mingled with the arraignments of both Mark and JR today.

[video=twitter;729715502877163520]https://twitter.com/NDN_JCarpenter/status/729715502877163520[/video]

Those of you on Tapatalk see direct twitter link above. I will also be posting link to new article by Jacob Carpenter with snips next.

Lawyer: There is no evidence tying Mark Sievers
to the murder-for-hire plot that killed his wife

(NaplesDailyNews direct link)
by NDN Reporter Jacob Carpenter
@NDN_JCarpenter

<snipped>

A lawyer for Mark Sievers started mounting a public defense for the Lee County murder defendant on Monday, speaking about the case at length for the first time. In an interview with the Daily News, Antonio Faga, one of the two lawyers representing Sievers, said he's yet to see definitive evidence that would prove the murder-for-hire arrangement alleged by investigators

"While you're not supposed to try the case in the public eye at all, there isn't any question that the overriding theory here is that he's a guilty man," Faga said. "We're here to say, today, he's an innocent man, irrespective of these charges."

More at link above.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back