TX TX - Samantha Broberg, 33, missing from Carnival cruise ship, 13 May 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Omg. Terrible. I actually found an interesting website once that keeps track of all people that fall overboard/disappear/or get killed on cruise ships. Who even knew it was a thing. I hope for her families sake they can recover her.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

How sad. I can't imagine losing a loved one that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arlington woman missing in Gulf of Mexico after falling off cruise ship
V-WOMAN%20FALLS%20OF%20CRUISE.tra_1463191982270_1313780_ver1.0.jpg

http://www.fox4news.com/news/140950460-story

As I understand it, you can't fall off a cruise ship.

You can jump off, or be thrown off, but you can't fall off.

I'm guessing this woman jumped off.

I remember seeing that website someone mentioned as well. Lots of missing folks from cruise ships. It's scary! Then the legal situation involved because they are in water, not on land, so who is in charge of the investigation? I know people commit suicide daily. I know some people chose to drown. I don't understand spending that much money on a cruise, something most people only dream of doing, and committing suicide. Doesn't make sense to me. I often wonder if there's more foul play involved but easier for the cruise line, who want to make that money, to say video shows them going overboard, therefore suicide, case closed?

It's like when a crime happens in a tourist area on land, sometimes media doesn't want to report on it, and locals complain because crime happens, but to keep the tourist coming, it isn't reported to the public! All about that money...gotta keep the money coming...

Prayers for Samantha and the family!!!

I'm sure you can fall off the boat. The rails go just below chest level. There's many people that have fallen/gone missing on boats vacation.
How terrible for her and her family.

Frequent cruiser here. You would definitely have to climb up on something or otherwise hoist yourself over the rail. There are definitely a lot of suicides, and occasional foul play. But you won't accidentally fall off unless you decide to climb up on *something*.

Did the man overboard situation last year with the gay couple make it to Websleuths? It was pretty awful. The guy jumped after a fight with his partner, would not let crew help as they tried to reach down to help (he'd landed on an attached lifeboat, I believe) then finally slipped off and drowned. All on video. :(

If you are tipsy I bet you can fall

Absolutely. Leaning, climbing and stepping up on the railings or balconies with the movement of the ship would make someone fall, especially in the wee hours of the morning when crew members "scrub the decks".which could make it slippery. It was the first night of the cruise, I wonder if it was her first cruise.

Prayers to the family.

Frequent cruiser here. You would definitely have to climb up on something or otherwise hoist yourself over the rail. There are definitely a lot of suicides, and occasional foul play. But you won't accidentally fall off unless you decide to climb up on *something*.

Did the man overboard situation last year with the gay couple make it to Websleuths? It was pretty awful. The guy jumped after a fight with his partner, would not let crew help as they tried to reach down to help (he'd landed on an attached lifeboat, I believe) then finally slipped off and drowned. All on video. :)

Thank you.

You can not "fall" off a commercial cruise liner as a normal passenger.

Just leaning on the railing isn't going to make you fall over, and most newer ships have really good stabilizers. It's very hard for anyone to accidentally fall off, otherwise cruise lines would be out of business for lawsuits.

Relevant thread over here. Note that snark is high over here, but there are people like chengpk75 who really know their stuff about maritime law and engineering.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=49976025#post49976025

Absolutely. Leaning, climbing and stepping up on the railings or balconies with the movement of the ship would make someone fall, especially in the wee hours of the morning when crew members "scrub the decks".which could make it slippery. It was the first night of the cruise, I wonder if it was her first cruise.

Prayers to the family.

Have you ever been on a commercial cruise? I'm sorry to seem insistent, but a regular passenger can not slip and fall off a commercial cruise ship accidentally after a crew member "scrubs the decks".

I have been on over 30 cruises. You absolutely cannot accidentally fall off the ship. The rails are chest high on an adult and often full wall size with plexiglass. You would have to push a chair over and Climb up to hoist yourself up and over. Think climbing a backyard fence. It's not easy to "fall" over your fence into your neighbors yard right? There are also few decks that have the ocean directly below. Most open decks have the deck below that juts out farther than the one you are on like a pyramid, so if you climbed over you would fall onto the deck below which is wider not in the ocean. Many people do climb and jump to commit suicide. This is why you never hear about kids or the elderly falling off. If it was that easy it would happen every sailing. Falling off a cruise ship is a purposeful act. Fortunately they have cameras everywhere and can see exactly what happened.

Then the legal situation involved because they are in water, not on land, so who is in charge of the investigation?

Responsibility for investigation of incidents on board a cruise ship lies with the police of the state in which the ship is registered. Unfortunately many cruise ships are registered under flags of convenience in states such as Panama or Liberia.

Not only are you relying on Panamania or Liberan (or wherever) police to investigate murders and rapes, but the advantages of many flags of convenience to ship owners include:

1. Effective anonymity for the ships owner;
2. Much cheaper crew hiring costs; and
3 Frequently, virtually no checking of the backgrounds of 3rd world crew members, including criminal convictions.

And that's without the norovirus brought on board by the passengers.

Responsibility for investigation of incidents on board a cruise ship lies with the police of the state in which the ship is registered. Unfortunately many cruise ships are registered under flags of convenience in states such as Panama or Liberia.

Not only are you relying on Panamania or Liberan (or wherever) police to investigate murders and rapes, but the advantages of many flags of convenience to ship owners include:

1. Effective anonymity for the ships owner;
2. Much cheaper crew hiring costs; and
3 Frequently, virtually no checking of the backgrounds of 3rd world crew members, including criminal convictions.

And that's without the norovirus brought on board by the passengers.

No need to spread FUD. The overboard incident (not this one) I referenced earlier was investigated by the Broward County (Florida) sherriff's office.

And the reason the media loves making a huge deal out of norovirus on cruise ships is because cruise ships, unlike hotels and other dense tourist destinations, are REQUIRED to report gastro illness past a certain % to the CDC.

And of course Carnival is the media's favorite punching bag.

I'm sure you can fall off the boat. The rails go just below chest level. There's many people that have fallen/gone missing on boats vacation.
How terrible for her and her family.
I agree, especially at 2am, coming from the clubs, a little unsteady, with that "I'm on vacation nothing bad happens here" mentality. Very sad.

Edited to add I've only been on one cruise and had to stop hubby from looking for a spot to "Titanic" after a tequila soaked day in Cozumel. I'm going to agree it's impossible to fall, unless your jacking around.
Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member