OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably make a few thousand per person per month. Dumping into cars, derbys, land, roosters, hunting, general cost of living and whatever else helping each other out. Odd jobs and things they did had rain days, winters and slow times as we all see. IMO it was an income supplement and much cheaper if there was personal use?
I agree. I don't see this as a really big scale operation, that they're socking back money like Heisenberg. I think it helped pay the bills and allowed them their hobbies.

Indoor ops are typically run in cycles so there is a constant supply. I don't know what they were doing or what cycles they would use but it might be split in to groups of 25 or 50 in different stages so maybe every 3 or 4 weeks you have a harvest instead of every 3 months. In that case it was probably and friends and family deal they would be selling to. There is also a long curing and drying cycle that the bud needs to go through for it to become of the highest quality (like wine or whiskey but not as long). Seed to sale is like 4 maybe 5 months. My guess is they had it stuffed with as many plants they could fit under lights, which would cause some of the plants (probably half or better) to produce extremely low yelds.

Agreed. I doubt they had a sophisticated 200+ grow op, and I've suspected they are on different cycles because that is a LOT of work and would be a LOT of time with no product at all. Just throwing it out there that it IS possible to generate quite a bit of cash on pot sales if it's good quality and 200 were on the same cycle, it would likely bring in more than $60k. But they don't strike me as the type that was saving the money up by any means or that was selling 10 pounds per sale. JMO.

I know of someone growing 12 plants that has 4 on one cycle, 4 on another, and 4 on another, they do fairly well for what they are going for.

This has probably already been posted and if so, sorry.

•Sources have confirmed for The Dispatch that though each of the victims had varying numbers of gunshots, Kenneth Rhoden was the only one shot just once, and Chris Sr. sustained the most, with nine shots.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2016/05/13/another-week-and-still-few-answers.html

First time I've seen that, so thank you!

Likely to be true, IMO, considering the source.

Interesting. The amount of blood in the front room at 4077 Union Hill Road may have come from both CR1 and GR.

Interesting and something new to ponder with regard to where the killing began.

Also interesting in that a loosening of the otherwise tight lips could indicate the investigation is moving along nicely.

•Sources have confirmed for The Dispatch that though each of the victims had varying numbers of gunshots, Kenneth Rhoden was the only one shot just once, and Chris Sr. sustained the most, with nine shots.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2016/05/13/another-week-and-still-few-answers.html

Thanks for finding this - I think it's the first we've had confirmation of this. It definitely makes Chris senior look like the principal target.

I am going out to the north 40 with this case one more time.

Those cars are the only thing that LE has admitted were evidence except for the crime scenes themselves. Since 150 cars cannot all be the crime scene, I can only assume they are the motive, or a big part of it.

I also think the reason LE is so tight-lipped is because it is local and they do not want to tip their hand by giving the killer a heads up on what they have. That being said I think they killer is of the "big fish in a small pond variety." So I think LE is being very careful to get everything they need to prosecute before making the arrest because the killer has the money to hire a "Dream Team" defense team. Also I think they are being careful not to step on toes or ruffle feathers.

I also feel that the killer had money to hire this done so the actual murders were done by ex-military and /or ex-police.

Given that the cars are evidence it follows the used car lots they were being sold on are also involved.

That leads us in several directions to the assumption that the owner of those used car lots have mucho $$$$ invested. If those dollars were threatened in any way (e.g. being ripped off for payment, someone threatening to go to LE) then it could possibly lead to murder of everyone involved so that no one was left to testify.
JMO

It could also be that the vehicles are evidence in a case that was revealed by the murders but not directly related to the murders. i.e. While working the murders, LE discovered evidence that the cars were stolen. Even though they are working a murder investigation, that does not preclude them from working a parallel investigation into stolen cars. Same with the grow op. It may have nothing to do with the motive of the murders, but LE is not going to just let it go if they find evidence that others were involved.

Also from that piece:

A small, roadside memorial that included photos and plastic flowers at the base of Union Hill Road at Rt. 32 is gone.

Who got rid of this, and why?

If hubby walks next door to his moms, I tell him to be careful. It's mostly habit for me.

Yeah, I always tell my wife "drive carefully, I love you" when she leaves for work in the mornings. Of course, that's mostly because she's a crappy driver (and if any of you tell her I said that ...:bricks:

It could also be that the vehicles are evidence in a case that was revealed by the murders but not directly related to the murders. i.e. While working the murders, LE discovered evidence that the cars were stolen. Even though they are working a murder investigation, that does not preclude them from working a parallel investigation into stolen cars. Same with the grow op. It may have nothing to do with the motive of the murders, but LE is not going to just let it go if they find evidence that others were involved.

And with that thought, I think it's unlikely the perps were involved with any illegal activity with the vehicles (if there is any). Why murder 8 people knowing LE would be going over the vehicles with a fine tooth comb and it would lead directly back to them?

Agreed. I doubt they had a sophisticated 200+ grow op, and I've suspected they are on different cycles because that is a LOT of work and would be a LOT of time with no product at all. Just throwing it out there that it IS possible to generate quite a bit of cash on pot sales if it's good quality and 200 were on the same cycle, it would likely bring in more than $60k. But they don't strike me as the type that was saving the money up by any means or that was selling 10 pounds per sale. JMO.

I know of someone growing 12 plants that has 4 on one cycle, 4 on another, and 4 on another, they do fairly well for what they are going for.

Exactly! Also the fact that weed is very common in that area and people grow it a lot drives the price way down. Also with less income in the area is going keep the price lower. Could have shortened this whole thing down to supply and demand.

Exactly! Also the fact that weed is very common in that area and people grow it a lot drives the price way down. Also with less income in the area is going keep the price lower. Could have shortened this whole thing down to supply and demand.

Very much agree. I've not been under the impression they were "going big" so to speak. Likely supplying their friends and family, and maybe a few of their friends and families friends.

Which also totally blew out any cartel theory for me. That's chump change for them.

JMO.

The amount of people taking up for them regarding their way of life baffles me. I've lived here all my life and there is absolutely nothing wrong with being country. I don't care how much money people have, I don't judge anyone based on that but they were involved in some incredibly shady and illegal activities that (more than likely) cost them their lives. As a parent, it's my job to protect my children and raise them in a healthy environment. The whole "they were just trying to provide for their family" excuse is lame. I know plenty of people here who work their butts off with legit jobs to provide for their family and don't have to resort to questionable methods. I just can't get on board with that way of thinking I guess. Maybe I lack compassion, empathy, etc. Not sure.
I guess my point - no one is bashing them for being poor- I know I'm not. But I don't agree with their way of life and I can't ignore that just because of what happened.
I take up for them because quite frankly we don't know what thier way of life completely was. They found pot plants in one guys garage and we assume plants in 2 other outdoor locations. But really we don't know where the other stuff was found or what it was that was found. So NO I'm not ready to condemn the whole family over a supposed "commercial" growup. One grown man raised chickens that could be sold for fighting chickens so no I'm not ready to condemn his family over his stupid chickens. He might have been raising them more for bragging rights and for all I know tried to sell them but never actually made a sale. Yes I think growing and selling pot and fighting chickens are something that bears looking into but to condemn a whole family over it. I don't think so.

Very much agree. I've not been under the impression they were "going big" so to speak. Likely supplying their friends and family, and maybe a few of their friends and families friends.

Which also totally blew out any cartel theory for me. That's chump change for them.

JMO.

Although we do know that there was an established pipeline to Detroit associated with some of their relations. So it could have been bigger. Not arguing as I agree with you & IC that I think it was smaller scale, but in reality we don't know the scope of the grow and while I've never thought it was mexican cartel related, it could very well be associated with either a street gang or a 1% MC club..

Knowing that Chris Sr. was the one who was shot the most times brings a lot of other facts into focus for me. He and Gary were, I believe, shot first and I don't think it was pre-planned given the messy crime scene in two rooms, the dragging of the bodies, the number of shots, etc. I think more than one person went there to conduct drug-related business (buying, selling, warning off competition, or the like). Things got heated, shots were fired, Chris and Gary were murdered. The murderers said "oh, $#%$" and tried to clean up the scene by dragging the bodies into a back room. Then they realized that other people knew of their existence/relationship to Chris/Gary, and calmed down and made a plan to get rid of all of them. Kenneth was the last one they murdered and by then, I think they had a half-baked idea to make it look like a "cartel" or gang killing so they left the money. I know the AG said they went to great lengths to cover their tracks; what he didn't say was that they were actually any good at covering their tracks. I think LE knows who it is, has had them under surveillance, and arrests/indictments are forthcoming. And I don't think familial suspects and drug suspects are necessarily mutually exclusive in this case.

Although we do know that there was an established pipeline to Detroit associated with some of their relations. So it could have been bigger. Not arguing as I agree with you & IC that I think it was smaller scale, but in reality we don't know the scope of the grow and while I've never thought it was mexican cartel related, it could very well be associated with either a street gang or a 1% MC club..

Yes, there were connections in the past, but we also have nothing saying that it is what was going on here either. Just like we don't have anything saying it isn't. My opinion is that 200 plants would be a lot of work to be in the same cycle, the growing, the drying, the trimming. Sure, it's possible, especially if everyone "working on cars" and "feeding animals" was helping with the plants.. But they clearly did have cars to work on.. And animals to feed. I tend to lean towards the 200 were not being grown on the same cycle. Because if they were, they'd have a lot of time with no product. I just suspect they weren't as big as some are making them out to be. That's JMO.

That is true. You are right, it may be a parallel investigation. Makes sense.

That is true. You are right, it may be a parallel investigation. Makes sense.

I've definitely believed that this murder investigation has sparked many other investigations, and could potentially be assisting with other ongoing investigations. My personal opinion is that they have their hands way full and are trying not to jeopardize any of the (likely multiple) ongoing investigations. JMO.

Just my thoughts on the probate business.1. When my ex passed his mother was in charge of his estate. I was his ex. This didn't mean she could run rampant with estate it just meant she was in charge to sign paoerwork and make sure it was all split up and spent properly. 2. When my brother passed he had 2 young adult children and 1 minor child. He was recently divorced. My mom or his 2 older children could have been put in charge but the court takes into consideration age and responsibility. We all agreed his exwife was best suited. The court went with our decision. All it gave her the power to do is sign papers and make sure everything was taken care of properly. No way in either case is the person in charge allowed to just take the money or sell properties and blow it for themselves. In the case of minor children there are guidelines on how any money can be spent. For instance as a mother I could petition the estate for a vehicle to drive my kids to school but would have been turned down because the vehicle was profiting me not the kids. (Not that I ever did that but I did sit in court and watch a judge explain to a lady why she couldn't have money for a car) IMO grandma Rhoden will be the one handling the kids inheritance unless the families come together and choose a person and present a united front. Or the court will appoint a person. The surviving parents grandparents can object if they think money is being misspent but they have to prove it because records are to be kept.

Yeah, I always tell my wife "drive carefully, I love you" when she leaves for work in the mornings. Of course, that's mostly because she's a crappy driver (and if any of you tell her I said that ...:bricks:

Yes usually the one who is staying says that to a person leaving. I usually don't tell people to be careful when I'm leaving them, as they're home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288