TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers,45, murdered in church/person in SWAT gear,18 Apr 2016 #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Psychopathy is a medical diagnosis. We can't even agree on if what evidence we have access to identifies the perp's gender, much less whether that person fits the specifically defined criteria of psychopathy.

I think we all can agree on the intent of the label, in that the perp is operating outside of society's accepted boundaries. But as there are many diagnosed 'psychopaths' who, by hard work and treatment, are able to operate within normal society, it can be considered demeaning to them to give this person a diagnosis. Murdering someone is possible by completely sane people with no diagnosable mental illness.

ETA: I am not attempting to moderate anyone's discussion, just trying to explain why some might not appreciate using the label.

Thank you for this. And thank you for noting the intent of what I was trying to say. I am sorry for not using it correctly and offending anyone. It wasn't my intention at all as I don't believe the perp has a mental illness. So, I might just need someone to buy me a dictionary.

I appreciate this post a lot. Thanks again for taking the time to explain this so well! :)

Psychopathy is a medical diagnosis. We can't even agree on if what evidence we have access to identifies the perp's gender, much less whether that person fits the specifically defined criteria of psychopathy.

I think we all can agree on the intent of the label, in that the perp is operating outside of society's accepted boundaries. But as there are many diagnosed 'psychopaths' who, by hard work and treatment, are able to operate within normal society, it can be considered demeaning to them to give this person a diagnosis. Murdering someone is possible by completely sane people with no diagnosable mental illness.

ETA: I am not attempting to moderate anyone's discussion, just trying to explain why some might not appreciate using the label.

Psychopathy is not classified as a mental illness. It is an Antisocial Personality Disorder.

I'm sorry imcurious2....I did not mean it that way nor do I think anyone else was trying to be disrespectful to anyone who has dealt with mental illness. My apologies as when I used "psychopath" it wasn't meant to be offensive to anyone with a mental illness. I wish you knew me in RL, you'd know that I didn't mean to be rude towards you or anyone else. I'm sorry you've ever had to deal with this. I have lost a few close friends to suicide due to mental illness and it's heartbreaking. I didn't mean to be judgmental. EVER.

I do want to say that I personally have never even considered whether or not the perp has a mental illness so I will look for another word to use.

Again, my most sincere apologies to you! :blowkiss:

When I was writing my response, I was also trying to think of a word that fits what you are trying to say yet doesn't have any connotations of implying a mental illness. Obviously I couldn't think of one, because "perp is operating outside of society's accepted boundaries" ​sounds like I have a big stick up my butt!

I'm sorry imcurious2....I did not mean it that way nor do I think anyone else was trying to be disrespectful to anyone who has dealt with mental illness. My apologies as when I used "psychopath" it wasn't meant to be offensive to anyone with a mental illness. I wish you knew me in RL, you'd know that I didn't mean to be rude towards you or anyone else. I'm sorry you've ever had to deal with this. I have lost a few close friends to suicide due to mental illness and it's heartbreaking. I didn't mean to be judgmental. EVER.

I do want to say that I personally have never even considered whether or not the perp has a mental illness so I will look for another word to use.

Again, my most sincere apologies to you! :blowkiss:

I think you're an amazing, concerned, caring person. Such a thoughtful post.

This thread is about Missy as we're often reminded.

It's not about society, common characters or a general murder-debate. The focus here is on Missy's murder and her murderer/s. I am not one to bow down to common, conventional thinking and political correctness in case we cast aspersions on an anonymous being. I can't apologize for using a word specific to this case. It's not a blanket statement to attack society.

Everyone reading here knows who/what/why/when of all we refer to when we state psychopath. Fact remains psychopaths exist and my belief is the perp/s is/are psycho.

The SWAT perp walks slowly and deliberating, methodical...not fueled by roid rage. Unless the police have footage of him/her raging during r after the murder.

Not every pro athlete takes steroids, in face they are doing a lot more drug testing these days before you can compete. And on another note, just because someone is 145 lbs doesn't mean they don't. Remember Lance Armstong?

I think I know who you're referring to, and he frequently shaves his head. He sometimes has a beard or goatee, too. No disrespect to you when I say this, but I do not think you can equate ones hairstyle with their propensity to commit rape/murder....especially in this situation.

By itself, a new hairstyle means nothing, I agree with you on that. :)

To me, the reference to newly shaved head was that someone shaved their head in preparation. A way to lessen the chance of leaving evidence during a murder? Not that I think about ways to murder people, but that would be one way to lessen the chance of dropping a hair with DNA potential.

I also think the same thing applies to a conversation earlier about narcissism and posting selfies galore not having anything to do with being a murderer.

FWIW, I don't see him as the killer.

Right. There was obviously a reason their phones were on the warrant. Even if she had nothing to do with this, she COULD very well be dealing with the discovery that her husband was cheating if that is why the phones of these two specific people were looked at.

Are we even sure At was cheating with MB? Has there been actual confirmation of this? and if so, from who? If true, maybe some other guy she was involved with was insanely jealous and killed her.

Calling them a psychopath is really starting to get old.

Here, I'll come out and say it this way...

I myself deal with mental illness and it runs in my family. It sucks MAJORLY when your disease is used as an excuse for immoral behavior.

We wouldn't blame the perp's actions on diabetes, AIDS, high blood pressure, or anything else without a burden of proof and I don't think we should be doing it with mental illness.

Sorry, but someone who can kill like that is very likely to have psychopathic tendencies. Criminal psychopathy is a personality disorder characterized by violence, disregard for human life, criminal behavior, etc. It's unfair to imply that psychopaths have anything in common with people suffering from NON-criminal psychopathic behavior, like depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, etc. It's also wrong, IMO, to start down the path of trying to make psychopaths seem as though they are to be excused or given sympathy. Do you think MB's family would sympathize with such a criminal psychopath who could kill their daughter like that? I don't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopathy

When I was writing my response, I was also trying to think of a word that fits what you are trying to say yet doesn't have any connotations of implying a mental illness. Obviously I couldn't think of one, because "perp is operating outside of society's accepted boundaries" ​sounds like I have a big stick up my butt!

Ha! Love it!! :)

I just took a CJ class on deviant behavior last semester so I think I'll just call SwatPerp a DEVIANT. ;)

Not every pro athlete takes steroids, in face they are doing a lot more drug testing these days before you can compete. And on another note, just because someone is 145 lbs doesn't mean they don't. Remember Lance Armstong?
Respectfully, Lance didn't take steroids. He used other things that helped his body recover more quickly. Other drugs don't cause the rage and anger that steroids can. I may be wrong, but I don't see someone on drugs when I look at the video of the person roaming the halls of the church.

From everything LE has made public, other than the perp's description, it seems evidence is technologically based. Digital footprints etc rather than trace evidence. Even with the disguise you would think the perp not only left trace evidence on MB (fibers under her nails etc) but also left with MB's DNA or fibers on them?

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
Too bad LE didn't have access to a suspect early on. They should look into anyone who left town shortly after murder. Hiding evidence in another state would make it much less likely to be found especially if perp disposed of it in dumpster or waterway out of state.

Not sure how much I would go by mapquest, they have mislead me more than once.. and most recently while at my daughters about a couple miles from my house it told me that I would be home in 20 minutes. LOL so I don't trust them. Just saying

Of course. But barring traffic (which there wouldn't be at 3:30 or 4:00 in the morning), that's how long it should take. Mapquest, Google Maps, your GPS, etc. all calculate time by taking into account speed limits and distance. And using this technology every day of my life, I can see it's pretty damned accurate, unless there is heavy traffic.

Scott Peterson drove a hell of a lot farther than 28 minutes to dispose of Lacy's body, didn't he? When someone is determined, they'll drive a bit.

Goodnight all.

As a reminder,not once have I attacked a poster, named suspect or a family member. I have stated certain actions are curious,weird odd or concerning. I have condemned those who discuss children and/or show their pics (on other sites where they remain and only slightly occasionally here - and fortunately on-the-spot mods remove instantly). I have respected all opinions,and still do. I am concerned for the livelihood of some apparent "suspects", (despite being updated by LE that they're not), repeatedly taken for granted to be the perp, and most especially because children are involved. The children are priority.

Whomsoever did this, IMO, has children - either their own or within their family. That's disturbing. It adds to my psychopath pot of valid characteristic ingredients.

I apologize if my posts, thoughts, beliefs and comments have offended anyone. I understand I am in a minority and accept being dismissed (for want of an expression) for this fact alone:)

Wishing you safety, security, peace and resolutions. RIP Missy. Blessings to your 3 beautiful Angels and your loved ones.

I agree. It seems to be a targeted hit, but it also seems that the one delivering this hit had no small amount of personal rage involved in delivering it.

So JMO, maybe, but if this was a 'hit' it was carried out by a somewhat willing party who was motivated by personal anger (he knew Missy) as well as by payment.

Whenever multiple perps are involved in a crime of this magnitude, there is usually a weak link. Very rarely can they escape detection for the long haul.

Are we even sure At was cheating with MB? Has there been actual confirmation of this? and if so, from who? If true, maybe some other guy she was involved with was insanely jealous and killed her.

Thank you! Truth!

I think you're an amazing, concerned, caring person. Such a thoughtful post. This thread is about Missy as we're often reminded. It's not about society, common characters or a general murder-debate. The focus here is on Missy's murder and her murderer/s. I am not one to bow down to common, conventional thinking and political correctness in case we cast aspersions on an anonymous being. I can't apologize for using a word specific to this case. It's not a blanket statement to attack society. Everyone reading here knows who/what/why/when of all we refer to when we state psychopath. Fact remains psychopaths exist and my belief is the perp/s is/are psycho.
JMO but whoever wanted MB dead like this strikes me as more of a Narcissistic personality ala so many who thought their problems could be solved by a murder.

Respectfully, Lance didn't take steroids.

Yes, he did. And eventually admitted to it, as you'll see if you look up his wiki entry. Steroids were not the ONLY PEDs he took. But he did take them.

I do agree with you that the perp in the video doesn't demonstrate "roid rage" behavior. She or he has taken SOMETHING, though, it appears to me. Way too nonchalant for the circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radnewal