Bosma Murder Trial 05.16.16 - Day 49

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sachak says Brendan Daly testified that Smich said the gun in his toolbox belonged to him. Smich says the gun wasn't his.
by Adam Carter 2:43 PM

Daly also testified that Smich had said he had bullets for that gun. Smich says he disagrees with Daly's statement.
by Adam Carter 2:44 PM

Smich says he tried to sell the gun because he was looking to get a lawyer and needed money.
by Adam Carter 2:44 PM

Sachak asks if he had "Millard's permission" to sell the gun. Smich says no.
by Adam Carter 2:45 PM

"I thought he was going to try to frame me, and in the letters it obviously shows he was, so I was right," Smich says.
by Adam Carter 2:45 PM

molly hayesVerified account ‏@mollyhayes 4m4 minutes ago
Smich says there's "a lot of different aspects" of what he meant by 'don't tell them anything.' #Bosma

Susan ClairmontVerified account ‏@susanclairmont 4m4 minutes ago
Smich: "There are a lot of different aspects of that. I was really confused and I was seeking legal advice." #bosma

molly hayesVerified account ‏@mollyhayes 4m4 minutes ago
Sachak says that Brendan Daly testified that Smich told him the gun in the toolbox was his. Smich says no. #Bosma

molly hayesVerified account ‏@mollyhayes 3m3 minutes ago
Smich agrees he heard that testimony. #Bosma

Sachak asks "you never ever told Mr Daly 'the gun in the toolbox is mine?'" Smich says no. #Bosma

Sachak suggests his testimony was nothing but the truth. Smich disagrees. Says Daly said different things to different counsel. #Bosma

Adam CarterVerified account ‏@AdamCarterCBC 3m3 minutes ago
Daly also testified that Smich had said he had bullets for that gun. Smich says he disagrees with Daly's statement. #TImBosma #Bosma

molly hayesVerified account ‏@mollyhayes 2m2 minutes ago
Smich agrees he tried to sell the gun. Sachak asks why he was selling a gun that didn't belong to him. #Bosma

I'm way behind....but I don't think Sachak is doing himself any favours with the jury.....I'm annoyed with his badgering of the witness.....he's been stuck on the same question for hours.....not going to debate the veracity of MS's testimony, but MS seems to be maintaining his composure and is at least consistent with his answers. Can we move on? (they likely have moved on....I realize I'm many pages behind...)

all MOO

I wonder more about the effectiveness. It's everybody's first instinct that not knowing where you buried a gun does not feel credible. But if he spends 12 hours on it and then Dungey comes back with a memory expert that says it's possible, well you just spent the opening of your cross and several hours after on nothing. I'm less annoyed than shocked (again) at the way some of his questions are formulated. "You didn't sleep at the Bosma's did you?" "You didn't bring marshmallows to roast." - in this case!! Ugh.

"I wanted to go to the police, I just didn't know how. I wanted to contact a lawyer first, but I needed money to do so," Smich says.
by Adam Carter 2:47 PM

Smich says he was looking for over $1,000 for the gun. He says he didn't realize how expensive a lawyer would be.

Whether he is lying or not is debatable but...it is clear that his Defense team did quite the good job of preparing MS for the stand. MOO

Smich says he was looking for over $1,000 for the gun. He says he didn't realize how expensive a lawyer would be.

With his record, I don't believe it was his first time with legal representation.

MOO

"Can you tell the jury how much you were trying to profit from the death of Mr. Bosma," Sachak says. "I wasn't trying to profit from the death of Mr. Bosma," Smich says. "Why don't you tell Mr. Bosma and his mother how much their son's life was worth when you were trying to sell that gun?" Sachak says. "Like I told you, that wasn't a thought going through my mind," Smich counters.
by Adam Carter 2:49 PM

Peter Akman ‏@PeterAkmanCTV 3m3 minutes ago
Millard's lawyer is growing the list of ppl who Smich says is lying - flipping the story on him. Smich staying the course. #Bosma @CTVNews

Adam CarterVerified account ‏@AdamCarterCBC 3m3 minutes ago
Sachak asks if he had "Millard's permission" to sell the gun. Smich says no. #TimBosma #BOsma

Sachak says we're focusing on the gun. He asks if he had asked Millard for permission to sell the gun. Smich says no. #Bosma

He says no because he thought Millard was trying to frame him--"and in the letters it obviously shows he was, so I was right." #Bosma

Sachak says he's suggesting he was trying to sell a gun that belonged to someone he was terrified of. #Bosma

Smich says he wanted to go to police, but he didn't know how. He needed to see a lawyer first. #Bosma

Peter Akman ‏@PeterAkmanCTV 2m2 minutes ago
Millard's lawyer making fun of Smich during cross because he was "scared and terrified." #Bosma @CTVNews

Sachak asks what profit he was trying to make. Smich says "anything over $1,000." #Bosma

Susan ClairmontVerified account ‏@susanclairmont 2m2 minutes ago
"I didn't realize how expensive the lawyer would be," says Smich. #Bosma

Sachak: "Mark Smich can you tell the jury how much you wanted to profit from the death of Mr. #Bosma...how much was his life worth to you."

I don't understand why it's OK to suddenly talk poorly about what "great" job DM defense is doing here. IIRC other posters mentioned how the DM defense team really seemed to be of no help and people came down hard us all.

To quote "He is absolutely not a bad lawyer. There are no bad lawyers on this case. They are all very good."
This is from a media source who was at the trial.

IMO after today's cross exam, I hope to see a clearer picture because as of right now all I've got is, "where's the gun?" I hope this annoying questioning actually proves something in the end.

All comments are JMO unless stated otherwise

Sachak now asking Smich to tell the jury what the emergency number is to call police. "The same number everywhere, 911," Smich says.
by Adam Carter 2:51 PM

If Millard was trying to frame him, who better to help than the police, Sachak asks. "With my criminal record, I didn't know if the police would believe me or not," Smich says.
by Adam Carter 2:52 PM

I don't understand why it's OK to suddenly talk poorly about what "great" job DM defense is doing here. IIRC other posters mentioned how the DM defense team really seemed to be of no help and people came down hard us all.

To quote "He is absolutely not a bad lawyer. There are no bad lawyers on this case. They are all very good."

This is from the media.

IMO after today's cross exam, I hope to see a clearer picture because as of right now all I've got is, "where's the gun?" I hope this annoying questioning actually proves something in the end.

All comments are JMO unless stated otherwise

You forget, CN lied. I know, it's hard to keep these two questions straight when they are asked 200 times.

MOO

Smich says he wasn't trying to profit off his death. "Sir like I said that wasn't a thought that was in my mind," he says. #Bosma

He says he felt confused and scared and everything. #Bosma

Sachak suggests he made a conscious decision getting Daly involved. #Bosma

molly hayesVerified account ‏@mollyhayes 1m1 minute ago
Smich says Daly was already there when he found out CityTV had called his mom's house. That's when he decided to sell it. #Bosma

Susan ClairmontVerified account ‏@susanclairmont 1m1 minute ago
The day @citytvtoronto showed up at Smich house, he decided he needed to get rid of the gun. #Bosma

molly hayesVerified account ‏@mollyhayes 57s57 seconds ago
Sachak asks Smich what the emergency number is in Halton. "The same it is everywhere, 911," Smich says. #Bosma

Sachak asks who else could help him if he thought Millard was trying to frame him. #Bosma

Smich says with his criminal record he didn't know if police would believe him. #Bosma

molly hayesVerified account ‏@mollyhayes 50s50 seconds ago
Smich insists he wanted to speak to a lawyer. Sachak says forget the lawyer--who could protect you besides police. #Bosma

"Why bury the gun that belongs to the individual that's trying t frame you? Why? Why sir? Why would you want to bury the murder weapon of the man who's trying to frame you? Why not give it to the police and say, 'here you go, DNA.'" Sachak says.
by Adam Carter 2:53 PM

Smich insists he wanted to speak to a lawyer. Sachak says forget the lawyer--who could protect you besides police. #Bosma

Sachak suggests he was instead prepared to illegally sell the gun. Smich says he was confused. #Bosma

Sachak asks why he would bury the gun if he thought Millard was trying to frame him. #Bosma

Adam CarterVerified account ‏@AdamCarterCBC 1m1 minute ago
"Why not give it to the police and say, 'here you go, DNA.'" Sachak says. #TimBosma #Bosma

Susan ClairmontVerified account ‏@susanclairmont 2m2 minutes ago
Smich: "With my criminal record I was concerned they might not believe me." #Bosma

Smich says he didn't know what happened with the gun after Millard put it in his satchel and before it made its way to him. #Bosma

Sachak says Smich felt comfortable enough to sell the gun -- Smich says no, and that's why that didn't happen and he buried it instead.
by Adam Carter 2:55 PM

In Daly's testimony, he said Smich said some "n----rs" were coming after him. Smich says that he said "this n----r" is coming after him -- meaning Millard.
by Adam Carter 2:56 PM

Unless I'm missing something, not sure what you mean by this? Can you please clarify? Thanks

You mentioned that he only asked about the gun. Just pointing out that there was more, but the gun question was asked over and over, so some of the other information like not having a conversation with CN is lost.

MOO

Smich says he doesn't know why Daly would pluralize it, because it was one person.
by Adam Carter 2:58 PM

Peter Akman ‏@PeterAkmanCTV 1m1 minute ago
"I didn't know what had happened to the gun between when he used it to kill #Bosma and was dropped off to me." Smich @CTVNews

Sachak suggests Smich was comfortable enough to sell gun. He says no, which is why it fell through. #Bosma

Sachak says Smich felt comfortable enough to sell the gun -- Smich says no, and that's why he buried it instead. #TimBosma #Bosma

Sachak says Daly said he told him "some n----s are comin after me." Smich says he said "this ni--a" is coming after me. #Bosma

Peter Akman ‏@PeterAkmanCTV 1m1 minute ago
"Did you tell them some n......s are going to come after me?" Millard Lawyer. Smich "No I said a n....r about Dell" #Bosma @CTVNews

Smich says that he said "this n----r" is coming after him -- meaning Millard. #TimBosma #Bosma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pechi_eupa