TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers,45, murdered in church/person in SWAT gear,18 Apr 2016 #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crime Stoppers doesn't always offer reward money, and sometimes they mentiongenerous rewards offered by others in a case. Crime Stoppers originated for people who don't want to get involved, are afraid of police or afraid of criminals, etc.; it is a 501c3 charitable organization. My post was more about the fact that Crime Stoppers has not put out any reminder that a person could call them and give a totally anonymous tip without calling LE, and my hope that this is a good sign that LE has a suspect(s) and also that this is not a stranger crime - ie, it could be meaningful that Crime Stoppers is not involved. If local WS have seen any Crime Stoppers reminders on TV there, let us know.

Anonymous tips in the USA 1-800-222-TIPS

Crime Stoppers doesn't really have a presence in Midlothian, from what I can tell. The city is under 20,000 population so a pretty small city. Cities that do have Crime Stoppers, it's connected with their local police departments like Dallas or Plano. But those PDs are not involved with the Bevers case.

A strong thought came to me this morning - what if Missy were about to accuse someone of wrongdoing, and that accusation could ruin that someone's business, reputation, and pride? That would provide motive, and it might be someone not on the SW target list, was not family, but who knew her schedule.

I wish I knew why she wasn't going to the gym lately.

Just brainstorming aloud, just my opinion. Subject to change. No links as it's only an idea, and one that someone else in all likelihood already posted 17,000 posts ago.

Crime Stoppers doesn't always offer reward money, and sometimes they mentiongenerous rewards offered by others in a case. Crime Stoppers originated for people who don't want to get involved, are afraid of police or afraid of criminals, etc.; it is a 501c3 charitable organization. My post was more about the fact that Crime Stoppers has not put out any reminder that a person could call them and give a totally anonymous tip without calling LE, and my hope that this is a good sign that LE has a suspect(s) and also that this is not a stranger crime - ie, it could be meaningful that Crime Stoppers is not involved. If local WS have seen any Crime Stoppers reminders on TV there, let us know.

Anonymous tips in the USA 1-800-222-TIPS

I think Oak Farms Dairy put up the $10K reward which is something they do frequently. I'm not sure what their criteria is but as I said, this is something they very frequently do in crimes.

My post you quoted seems unrelated to your response. I find it hard to grasp the concept when people say this was obviously a military or ex military member due to how they "cleared" the building. I'm not seeing a correlation; there was no "military style" clearing of the building. And yes, veterans or active duty do have very telltale habits IMO. Not all; fine. But I was taught how to actually clear a building by veterans (including my spouse) and tactical teams in defensive pistol training. I just don't think it's "obvious" this perp has any military/army affiliation just because they strolled around the building looking in rooms. JMO.

Agree. When I watch the video of the suspect, there is no hint of "command presence" that I'd expect in someone with any military training, but that's just my opinion. However, when it came down to it, the suspect was capable of some forceful behavior.

I think Oak Farms Dairy put up the $10K reward which is something they do frequently. I'm not sure what their criteria is but as I said, this is something they very frequently do in crimes.

I would imagine that LE might be advising people regarding reward donations - there is a law of diminishing returns (i.e., eventually you reach an amount level at which adding to it doesn't really get a different result and just wastes the money). If someone is going to come forward with info and they are motivated by money, it's unlikely that they're going to say, "Oh, it's only $___ right now. I'm going to wait til it goes up to $___."

I don't know where that level is, though..

This cellphone tower and pings from phones amazes me.

I am trying to understand what it is that they (LE) can get from this. Am I correct in thinking that the collection of cellphones from family and gladiator participants is a process of elimination. As in the tower receives pings from a phone and once they verify the known numbers they are left with the unknown numbers that pinged that tower in a certain time frame.? If that is the case seems they would know/have that info by now. jmo idk

The NYPD experts were called in to help analyze "pings" from cell towers in the hopes of tracking down an "electronic footprint" of the person who killed Terri "Missy" Bevers the morning of April 18.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/nypd-assisting-in-texas-church-murder-investigation/

This cellphone tower and pings from phones amazes me.

I am trying to understand what it is that they (LE) can get from this. Am I correct in thinking that the collection of cellphones from family and gladiator participants is a process of elimination. As in the tower receives pings from a phone and once they verify the known numbers they are left with the unknown numbers that pinged that tower in a certain time frame.? If that is the case seems they would know/have that info by now. jmo idk

The NYPD experts were called in to help analyze "pings" from cell towers in the hopes of tracking down an "electronic footprint" of the person who killed Terri "Missy" Bevers the morning of April 18.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/nypd-assisting-in-texas-church-murder-investigation/

I used to occasionally assist the US Marshalls fugitive unit, and was quite impressed with the info they had available from cell towers. I don't know alot about how it works, and think its probably best that way. It is widely known, though, that a cell phone is constantly looking for service, trying to communicate with towers, to keep you in coverage. Couple that with the concept of triangulation from these towers, and you can imagine how it is possible to not only track people, but to provide an accurate idea of a current, or historic location.

As cell phones are hugely important in terrorism cases, and the NYPD has maybe the best terrorism intel squad in the world, its great that they are involved.

I used to occasionally assist the US Marshalls fugitive unit, and was quite impressed with the info they had available from cell towers. I don't know alot about how it works, and think its probably best that way. It is widely known, though, that a cell phone is constantly looking for service, trying to communicate with towers, to keep you in coverage. Couple that with the concept of triangulation from these towers, and you can imagine how it is possible to not only track people, but to provide an accurate idea of a current, or historic location.

bbm, Right like reaching out and tapping a phone on the shoulder. It would seem that (LE) would know every number that the tower/s would have been in communication with the tower that morning, verifying the numbers of the campers and the numbers that just drove by the tower. It would also seem that the suspects number would be there as well, showing up around 3:30 3:45, iirc suspect shows up on cctv at 3:50 and then leaving the area before 5:00. I am starting to think the suspect didn't have a cellphone with them. jmo

... I am starting to think the suspect didn't have a cellphone with them. jmo

If suspect put as much effort into planning to avoid detection as the SWAT outfit suggests, you'd think so. Still, there is a streak of dumbness that runs through all criminals of all types -- to believe that committing such a crime is worth the risk it entails.

Then, there are other variables, like an accomplice outside watching or for escape help. That could make suspect risk carrying a disposal phone he thinks is safe, etc.

As cell phones are hugely important in terrorism cases, and the NYPD has maybe the best terrorism intel squad in the world, its great that they are involved.

Yes, it's great, but WHY were they involved? They have enough to do fighting terrorism. Why a murder of a woman in a small town in Texas? Not saying Missy's life was not important, not at all, but it seems like an unlikely assignment for such a specialized team.

One thing I do know from watching it... stopping and starting... the part where the Suspect comes out of the door.. then starts hitting breaking glass.... stop it and watch closely... THAT is NOT a continuation... it is an EDIT and it is also a Zoomed in edit. OR It is a different part of the building from a different camera angle. JMHO I not convinced it same area. This is the part where everyone is trying to "figure out " what the Suspect has. JMHO since it was already zoomed in to be added in the video, it really distorts any enlarged/zoomed photo. Thats why I do not think anyone will get a clear ss. Cant ... JMHO

The number "12" on the door he exited is visible in both parts, in the "original" and the "zoomed in". Therefore I do not think it is another part of the building. A zoom edit it is, yes.

-Nin

I have been thinking about the video and the suspects actions. I am leaning toward the suspect not knowing/noticing there were cameras.
Why dress as LE and not act like LE when you are on camera?
An officer (especially one in tactical gear) would attempt to clear a building and not wander around casually opening doors or breaking windows.
Also, a lone officer would never do this by themselves.
No matter the situation, I would be alarmed to see an officer dressed in full tactical gear and he was alone. (even riding down the street on a motorcycle)

So what if there hadn't of been cameras?
The evidence would lean more towards an interrupted burglary. We would have had no way in knowing that the suspect dilly dallied around 45mins. We would have had no knowledge of this strange outfit.

It makes me think that this suspect may not have known the ins and out of this building.
Does that help narrow down any leads? Sadly no.

I think that it is a continuation (albeit zoomed in). That door sign that looks like a "12" remains after the zoom; and there's something that sort of looks like a dotted white line (reflection of something?) on the floor which also remains after the zoom.

Did not see your post earlier, sorry.

-Nin

I must say, I have spent a godawful amount of time on WS lately. If something were to happen to me right now, LE would be scratching their heads over the notebook of "case notes" that I keep in my purse. They would find long lists of initials and acronyms, notes about possible ways to launder money, notes about the typical nature of a Pisces/Scorpio relationship, and all kinds of other randomness. Then y'all would be calling the tip line to let LE know what it all means! HA!

So funny! My husband found my MB FB Timeline the other day and asked if those were my "murder notes" and my co-worker saw my list of "target number" names on my desk when it came out and asked who those people were. If I am murdered or in a freak accident my family and close friends would have a fun time explaining my side (job) hobby of online crime detective to the real police. They all know, thankfully, so at least they can direct them here! Bless. :laughing:

BB said he spoke with Missy at 9:30 that night. But he checked in on Facebook at the oyster restaurant at 9:30 or so.

Question. What's the time difference between Mississippi and Texas. And did he state if he spoke to her at 9:30 her time or his. I remember him saying she started dosing off on the phone. So I think it was 9:30 her time?

Now depending on the time difference; I must wonder if the check in facebook post at 9:30 was in texas or Mississippi time.

Because it would be impossible to be posting to facebook while on the phone with your wife at the same time. Jmo.

The detectives have got to be very queasy about these coincidences. The probabilities/odds of these things lining up have to ring alarm bells. As in:
How often is a husband out of town when wife is murdered?
The Facebook timing
Men this age Facebooking on vacation (IDK, maybe phones do it now without prompting)
Calls, FB, Dinner at a relatively late hour - which happen to help an alibi.

Even though I consider the hitman angle the worst possible idea, that's an unusual amount of proof of location for a pretty critical timeframe to be so readily available. But, I guess it also may be just the way people live these days.

I hope this is not over-speculating, or out-of-bounds, I'm still very rookie on this site.

If LE had a POI, wouldn't they be able to check their cell phone if it was turned off at the time of the murder & if that was unusual?

If LE had a POI, wouldn't they be able to check their cell phone if it was turned off at the time of the murder & if that was unusual?

I think that is something LE can and would do....but it's not evidence enough to arrest someone just because his/her phone was turned off.

I remain hopeful that this perp WILL be caught. Might not be today, but an arrest will happen. JMOpinion

i have been thinking that if it had come back as dog blood that would be announced. Or maybe the testing isn't finished. I've read it can take "awhile" but you would think this case would be expedited.

The whole issue about the blood on the shirt is odd to me. Given the fact there has just been a bloody murder in the family, I would have shown it to the police before throwing in the trash. Interestingly, with everything else going on, he had time to take it to the drycleaners even before she was buried. Must have been a high priority. JMO

The whole issue about the blood on the shirt is odd to me. Given the fact there has just been a bloody murder in the family, I would have shown it to the police before throwing in the trash. Interestingly, with everything else going on, he had time to take it to the drycleaners even before she was buried. Must have been a high priority. JMO

:yeahthat:

Yes, it's great, but WHY were they involved? They have enough to do fighting terrorism. Why a murder of a woman in a small town in Texas? Not saying Missy's life was not important, not at all, but it seems like an unlikely assignment for such a specialized team.

Its probably no big thing, really. It may have worked something like this:

Midlothian puts a feeler out to NYPD. NYPD has a handful of these guys that are old hands at this, and one agrees to come in on his day off to work the "extra job" for Midlothian. Midlothian flys a guy to NY, and NYPD gives him a ream of info, and instructs how to use decipher it. Midlothian pays the NYPD guy for his time. Or, if going to Texas was the only option, the NYPD guy goes on his days off, or burns a couple vacation days to fly down. Extra jobs are a hugely common thing for police officers everywhere. Having a skill like this that involves "clean" work and good pay would be very opportune.

Alternately, it could be that NYPD actually is mostly introducing the Midlothian detectives to their silent federal source that is charged with supplying numerous agencies this type of data, when circumstances warrant. A foot in the door goes a long way.

Experts like this regularly line up sidejobs giving lectures, workshops, etc to other agencies. It is cost effective, and a good way to get highly specialized knowledge spread around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23