OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Full article here.

Not the Pike County we've been discussing, but I know some people had mentioned informants, LE involvement, etc. Interesting story.

Not that it's relevant to your point really, but personally, I can't wait until I see this story unfold on ID network and maybe even a lifetime movie! Only so, in 10 years, I can sit and cry while watching it repeatedly and have my husband glaring like I'm crazy!

Not that it's relevant to your point really, but personally, I can't wait until I see this story unfold on ID network and maybe even a lifetime movie! Only so, in 10 years, I can sit and cry while watching it repeatedly and have my husband glaring like I'm crazy!
Not that this is relevant either but if you want to read a well-written, true, weird, story, try out The Bluegrass Conspiracy.

Is there a thread for this case?

I doubt it. There's next to nothing in the media but I thought it odd that there are no missing persons reported from the Jackson area and Pike County is next door.

This is long, but I wanted to tell you my story in hopes maybe you can understand addiction itself a little better....

As for me...I had two loving, supportive, comfortably middle class parents. I never wanted for anything, and aside from some tumultuous-but drug free-teenage years, my childhood was wonderful. I would not trade it for a million mansions in Beverly Hills. My husbands was exactly the same.

My very first foray into drugs was the result of the flu that resulted in two painfully ruptured eardrums. I was an uninsured single mother at the time, so the doctor was less important to me than making sure my rent check cleared. So, I waited....until I was practically deaf because of two severe double ear infections that ended very, very badly.

When the first one ruptured, i ended up giving in and going to the ER, where, as I was sitting on a gurney....the other one popped. They tried to admit me for fever, but I refused because I had no insurance, so they gave me a ton of antibiotics and a bottle of Percocet for the pain. Mind you, I was completely ignorant of opiates that day...

Once I felt better, I quit taking them and sat them aside, only to grab one late one evening when I couldn't sleep, thinking it would help. Strangely....once it kicked in I realized that not only did I relax....but my mood shifted in a way that was nice....

I take another...and notice that if I move around after I take them instead of trying to sleep, I'm actually energized and happy. I get more done at home and at work in one day than i usually do, and I'm quite cheerful about everything to boot!

This goes on until the bottle is gone....and while I'm not addicted at this point, they're on my radar. I end up with another bottle some months later after having a wisdom tooth pulled. I do not use them for pain...I use them for pleasure because I knew what they could do for me.

After this? I start gently plotting to find more. I rack up a few doctors bills that I can't pay...then I run into an old high school friend who sells them. I pawn my jewelry....some of it heirloom. Slowly, I lose my apartment and have to move back in with my parents where there is no rent....I keep just enough on hand to provide for my son...and the rest goes to drugs. Before I know what's happened, I'm sitting at one of my dealer's houses being talked into shooting one for the first time. It was such a glorious sensation....I was immediately hooked. After that? I spiraled. Down. Down. Down. I hid it well. When I met my husband, I was spending at least 300 dollars a day on drugs if I could hustle it up.....and, sadly, he was too.

We got married. We said we'd kick it together-we tried cold turkey-herbal cocktails from the Internet. Needless to say, we failed....and one day wayyyyyy later....we realized we'd hit rock bottom when we'd blown through a 6300 dollar tax return in just over a week. It was that one simple realization that kicked us in to gear and painted a good picture of what we'd become. The day we got on Suboxone was one of THE most painful, but rewarding, days of our entire lives. We haven't looked back since. That has been a long time ago, and just thinking about that life now makes my heart race and my palms sweat.

So, you see? Some of it is environmental, but it doesn't start solely because of your upbringing. I believe my descent into drug use was fueled by the stress of single parenting, money matters, divorce, a desire for some kind of happiness-even of it was chemically induced-and a strong genetic predisposition from both sides of my family-a lot of alcoholics on both sides and a few addicts on my dad's side. I'm not kidding when I tell you that I had seriously convinced myself that I was better WITH them than I was without.

However, you DO have a lot of folks who have had bad childhoods. Those are the people who start using earlier in life. They truly have a harder time putting it down because, as They tell you in groups-you pretty much stop aging mentally the day you start to use, and that only starts back up again when you put it down. So, they have more to contend with mentally. They basically have to learn to be adults when they've spent the last 5+ years or more as a kid. It's so hard to do. It's like climbing Everest....with no map, no gear and a horrible sense of direction.

Addiction is all encompassing and strikes all walks of life-rich, poor, 14 or 85. I've met them all. One person's drive will always differ from someone else's-childhood, untreated mental illness, jobs, finances, physical pain,...the list goes on.

In the end? It all comes down to the choices YOU make. You can blame everyone on planet earth and make excuses until you're blue in the face....but the decision belongs solely to you.

Maybe I've been lucky. I've been on every pain medicine made in large amounts on and off for years. I can run out for days and never had a problem being without them other than the pain. I used to drink quite a bit but never HAD to have that either.

yes that's the right page. It's GONE!!! It was there this evening when I came home from work about 6!!!!

Also, the post about the baby sitting up wasn't there. There was a post about chicken nuggets and fries that is still there, but the post was there, dated April 21. HR had put some??? In the comments and another girl asked if she was ok.

This is is creeping me out. I'm not the first person on WS who has seen SM posts and they have disappeared.

I'm not trying to be overly nosy, but have you friended her? This whole thing with reported disappearing posts is starting to creep me out, too. I've just had a generally creepy internet day, though.

<snipped>

It all comes down to the choices YOU make. You can blame everyone on planet earth and make excuses until you're blue in the face....but the decision belongs solely to you.

Thank you. This. Amen. I'm really glad you're here with us.

I'm not trying to be overly nosy, but have you friended her? This whole thing with reported disappearing posts is starting to creep me out.

Just popping in. Who are we talking about?

EDIT: Nvm. Went back and saw. :)

Just popping in. Who are we talking about?

EDIT: Nvm. Went back and saw. :)

Hannah Gilley. I'll find the post # for you.

Post # 119 sums it up pretty well. Disappearing facebook post.

Edit: Well, I'm not deleting all this, LOL!

Along those lines, I've been wanting to mention the attitude to the case here in North Carolina based on my observations. I am planning on moving back to Northern Ohio this summer. When mentioning it in casual conversation with various groups of people (moms at school, mechanic, doctor's office), the Pike County murders sometimes work their way into the conversation. It's amazing to me how people not following the case are under the assumption that it was Mexican Cartel and basically solved by lack of being able to pursue the perps. It's sad how it has fallen off people's radars. The consistent response is "oh yeah, the family killed by the Mexican cartel." Then I'm left wondering if that was a calculated move on LE's press releases out of the gate to deter from what was really going on. Unfortunately, our society is becoming accustomed to unsolved hits linked to mafia, cartels, etc.
They made the family look bad. It's almost like they want people to not care and forget about it.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

This is long, but I wanted to tell you my story in hopes maybe you can understand addiction itself a little better....

As for me...I had two loving, supportive, comfortably middle class parents. I never wanted for anything, and aside from some tumultuous-but drug free-teenage years, my childhood was wonderful. I would not trade it for a million mansions in Beverly Hills. My husbands was exactly the same.

My very first foray into drugs was the result of the flu that resulted in two painfully ruptured eardrums. I was an uninsured single mother at the time, so the doctor was less important to me than making sure my rent check cleared. So, I waited....until I was practically deaf because of two severe double ear infections that ended very, very badly.

When the first one ruptured, i ended up giving in and going to the ER, where, as I was sitting on a gurney....the other one popped. They tried to admit me for fever, but I refused because I had no insurance, so they gave me a ton of antibiotics and a bottle of Percocet for the pain. Mind you, I was completely ignorant of opiates that day...

Once I felt better, I quit taking them and sat them aside, only to grab one late one evening when I couldn't sleep, thinking it would help. Strangely....once it kicked in I realized that not only did I relax....but my mood shifted in a way that was nice....

I take another...and notice that if I move around after I take them instead of trying to sleep, I'm actually energized and happy. I get more done at home and at work in one day than i usually do, and I'm quite cheerful about everything to boot!

This goes on until the bottle is gone....and while I'm not addicted at this point, they're on my radar. I end up with another bottle some months later after having a wisdom tooth pulled. I do not use them for pain...I use them for pleasure because I knew what they could do for me.

After this? I start gently plotting to find more. I rack up a few doctors bills that I can't pay...then I run into an old high school friend who sells them. I pawn my jewelry....some of it heirloom. Slowly, I lose my apartment and have to move back in with my parents where there is no rent....I keep just enough on hand to provide for my son...and the rest goes to drugs. Before I know what's happened, I'm sitting at one of my dealer's houses being talked into shooting one for the first time. It was such a glorious sensation....I was immediately hooked. After that? I spiraled. Down. Down. Down. I hid it well. When I met my husband, I was spending at least 300 dollars a day on drugs if I could hustle it up.....and, sadly, he was too.

We got married. We said we'd kick it together-we tried cold turkey-herbal cocktails from the Internet. Needless to say, we failed....and one day wayyyyyy later....we realized we'd hit rock bottom when we'd blown through a 6300 dollar tax return in just over a week. It was that one simple realization that kicked us in to gear and painted a good picture of what we'd become. The day we got on Suboxone was one of THE most painful, but rewarding, days of our entire lives. We haven't looked back since. That has been a long time ago, and just thinking about that life now makes my heart race and my palms sweat.

So, you see? Some of it is environmental, but it doesn't start solely because of your upbringing. I believe my descent into drug use was fueled by the stress of single parenting, money matters, divorce, a desire for some kind of happiness-even of it was chemically induced-and a strong genetic predisposition from both sides of my family-a lot of alcoholics on both sides and a few addicts on my dad's side. I'm not kidding when I tell you that I had seriously convinced myself that I was better WITH them than I was without.

However, you DO have a lot of folks who have had bad childhoods. Those are the people who start using earlier in life. They truly have a harder time putting it down because, as They tell you in groups-you pretty much stop aging mentally the day you start to use, and that only starts back up again when you put it down. So, they have more to contend with mentally. They basically have to learn to be adults when they've spent the last 5+ years or more as a kid. It's so hard to do. It's like climbing Everest....with no map, no gear and a horrible sense of direction.

Addiction is all encompassing and strikes all walks of life-rich, poor, 14 or 85. I've met them all. One person's drive will always differ from someone else's-childhood, untreated mental illness, jobs, finances, physical pain,...the list goes on.

In the end? It all comes down to the choices YOU make. You can blame everyone on planet earth and make excuses until you're blue in the face....but the decision belongs solely to you.

Very much agreed. My adoptive parents were pretty strict. Didn't smoke cigarettes. Nothing. I started hanging out with the people that lived around us, was smoking cigarettes on occasion by 14, well hidden from my parents - smoked pot for the first time at 15, started dating someone that smoked pot, his brother was a dealer for most in town. I got busted for having a dime bag on me at school. My parents still had no clue I was dating someone that was starting to deal because of his brother or what his brother was into, they actually loved him, he had his charming ways.. Then his brother started getting Xanax and adderall, by 16 I was snorting Xanax on an almost daily basis and popping aderall during the day or snorting it to stay up all night. Then he started getting cocaine, and I started doing that on a rare occasion, drinking heavily anytime I could. Then his brother started getting pain pills. At first they made me drowsy, but I kinda liked it. My parents had ZERO idea what was going on in my life, they chalked it up to a hormonal teenage girl. Assumed I got over the pot hump and was fine. They couldn't have been more wrong. I just started wanting anything I could get my hands on. Then I started hanging out with the people my boyfriends brother did all the time, and they introduced me to heroin, after I all, I was pretty hooked on the way pain pills made me feel. I never injected it, but I snorted it, and I loved it. I was instantly hooked, it was cheaper, lasted longer. Finally, I overdosed at 17. I luckily had friends that didn't leave me for dead and called 911. Narcan wasn't a big thing back then like it is now if you suspect an overdose. I was unconscious, intubated, they called my Dad who rushed to the hospital. He was torn to pieces. They didn't have a clue. By 18 I was pregnant and quit everything. I thank everything in my life that I never fell back into it after my son was born. I separated myself, I moved. I had to get away from the situation. I busted my *advertiser censored* to get us out up until the day I delivered so I could have the money to get us a place somewhere. I had surgery a few years later and was so scared to take a pain pill. I just stuck to Tylenol and Motrin because I was so scared I was going to lose myself again. It all felt like it happened so fast and looking back I'm so thankful I wasn't dead.

My adopted parents always raised me with drugs being bad, smoking is bad, and because they were so naivé to it all, they didn't have a clue their teenage daughter was addicted to anything she could get her hands on. Looking back now, they saw the signs, but they didn't think they had to worry about something like that.

It was definitely all my choice. It was the people I surrounded myself, that I continued to surround myself with. It's rare someone can hang around a bunch of druggies and not be curious. They were "cool" I was 15-16 hanging out with 20-30 year olds.. And at the time I was blinded to see what losers they really were. They just wanted the money. They didn't give a **** they were giving pills, alcohol, hard drugs to a teenager. They could've cared less. But they all made me think they were my friends.

It seems like such a quick downfall once it starts, and soon after you lose your sense of reality. It's a VERY hard cycle to break, and if I didn't get pregnant, I'm scared I wouldn't have.

Pot wasn't my issue. I never felt like I NEEDED it. I did need the pain pills, the Xanax, the heroine. I started feeling like I couldn't function without it. I didn't care how high I was, I just wanted to be high. I didn't care about mixing drugs. I just didn't care. It was addiction. It was hard. But it was my fault I developed it, absolutely. It was my choices. But they had me hooked, and I felt like I needed them. It was my one and only focus. Skipping school, sneaking out. Getting high in my bedroom while my parents thought I was asleep. It's scary thinking back to that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many don't understand that people with normal upbringings can fall to drugs. Especially when they aren't looking at doctors as drug dealers. The push in the 90s to get peoples' pain leave to zero fueled this and it is one of our biggest problems today. The war on drugs was being fought at the exact same time that they were creating the opiate problem.
Estella, u are one of few suboxone actually worked for. Hope your relationships with your family and friends are strong now... Addiction is a strain on the addict and debilitating to families, especially those who never thought they would be faced with it. Stay strong and keep educating people. Too many think you have to fit the role to become an addict... Most people probably know one and don't even realize it.

They made the family look bad. It's almost like they want people to not care and forget about it.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

I'm not convinced they intentionally made the family look bad. I mean, that first shock wave about the murders and pot and possible cockfighting. I really think there's something in there, somewhere. We can honor someone's life by caring that their killer(s) are brought to justice. It really doesn't matter if they lived the country club American dream white picket fence thing. Sadly, facts are facts. Justice is still justice. And murder is still wrong.

I'm thinking Saturday night mystery dateline on nbc ;)

Very much agreed. My adoptive parents were pretty strict. Didn't smoke cigarettes. Nothing. I started hanging out with the people that lived around us, was smoking cigarettes on occasion by 14, well hidden from my parents - smoked pot for the first time at 15, started dating someone that smoked pot, his brother was a dealer for most in town. I got busted for having a dime bag on me at school. My parents still had no clue I was dating someone that was starting to deal because of his brother or what his brother was into, they actually loved him, he had his charming ways.. Then his brother started getting Xanax and adderall, by 16 I was snorting Xanax on an almost daily basis and popping aderall during the day or snorting it to stay up all night. Then he started getting cocaine, and I started doing that on a rare occasion, drinking heavily anytime I could. Then his brother started getting pain pills. At first they made me drowsy, but I kinda liked it. My parents had ZERO idea what was going on in my life, they chalked it up to a hormonal teenage girl. Assumed I got over the pot hump and was fine. They couldn't have been more wrong. I just started wanting anything I could get my hands on. Then I started hanging out with the people my boyfriends brother did all the time, and they introduced me to heroin, after I all, I was pretty hooked on the way pain pills made me feel. I never injected it, but I snorted it, and I loved it. I was instantly hooked, it was cheaper, lasted longer. Finally, I overdosed at 17. I luckily had friends that didn't leave me for dead and called 911. Narcan wasn't a big thing back then like it is now if you suspect an overdose. I was unconscious, intubated, they called my Dad who rushed to the hospital. He was torn to pieces. They didn't have a clue. By 18 I was pregnant and quit everything. I thank everything in my life that I never fell back into it after my son was born. I separated myself, I moved. I had to get away from the situation. I busted my *advertiser censored* to get us out up until the day I delivered so I could have the money to get us a place somewhere. I had surgery a few years later and was so scared to take a pain pill. I just stuck to Tylenol and Motrin because I was so scared I was going to lose myself again. It all felt like it happened so fast and looking back I'm so thankful I wasn't dead.

My adopted parents always raised me with drugs being bad, smoking is bad, and because they were so naivé to it all, they didn't have a clue their teenage daughter was addicted to anything she could get her hands on. Looking back now, they saw the signs, but they didn't think they had to worry about something like that.

It was definitely all my choice. It was the people I surrounded myself, that I continued to surround myself with. It's rare someone can hang around a bunch of druggies and not be curious. They were "cool" I was 15-16 hanging out with 20-30 year olds.. And at the time I was blinded to see what losers they really were. They just wanted the money. They didn't give a **** they were giving pills, alcohol, hard drugs to a teenager. They could've cared less. But they all made me think they were my friends.

It seems like such a quick downfall once it starts, and soon after you lose your sense of reality. It's a VERY hard cycle to break, and if I didn't get pregnant, I'm scared I wouldn't have.

Pot wasn't my issue. I never felt like I NEEDED it. I did need the pain pills, the Xanax, the heroine. I started feeling like I couldn't function without it. I didn't care how high I was, I just wanted to be high. I didn't care about mixing drugs. I just didn't care. It was addiction. It was hard. But it was my fault I developed it, absolutely. It was my choices. But they had me hooked, and I felt like I needed them. It was my one and only focus. Skipping school, sneaking out. Getting high in my bedroom while my parents thought I was asleep. It's scary thinking back to that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly, it's no longer you wanting the drug, it's the drug running your system and u are just a shell.

Still can't figure out multiple quotes in one post :/

Along those lines, I've been wanting to mention the attitude to the case here in North Carolina based on my observations. I am planning on moving back to Northern Ohio this summer. When mentioning it in casual conversation with various groups of people (moms at school, mechanic, doctor's office), the Pike County murders sometimes work their way into the conversation. It's amazing to me how people not following the case are under the assumption that it was Mexican Cartel and basically solved by lack of being able to pursue the perps. It's sad how it has fallen off people's radars. The consistent response is "oh yeah, the family killed by the Mexican cartel." Then I'm left wondering if that was a calculated move on LE's press releases out of the gate to deter from what was really going on. Unfortunately, our society is becoming accustomed to unsolved hits linked to mafia, cartels, etc.

Ditto. I'm 4 hours away people here have no clue. If it's not close to home or shoved down their throat people don't tend to care much. It doesn't really get bigger than this. Out of sight out of mind I guess. From the time the crimes started to currently everything about this is absurd. People should really be demanding answers.

Thanks to everyone that has shared these intensely personal (and inspiring!) stories. I think you really put a different face on this monster than a lot of people imagine it to appear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SLEUTHER TRAE PGH