Legendary Artist Prince Found Dead at 57 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well at least he probably died happy and not in pain. I was once given Fentanyl in the hospital for a D&C "twilight cocktail". I swear I felt Euphoric. If you had told me the sky was blue, I would've laughed hysterically.

^^^oh dear^^^...

I have a relative who accidentally OD'd on opiates. In the obit it said he died from pain. Because of a medical condition he needed the meds. The more he took the more he needed. IYKWIM I see Prince in the same situation. It breaks my heart.

Fentanyl
Adverse effects

Fentanyl's most common side-effects (more than 10% of patients) include diarrhea, nausea, constipation, dry mouth, somnolence, confusion, asthenia (weakness), sweating, and less frequently (3 to 10% of patients) abdominal pain, headache, fatigue, anorexia and weight loss, dizziness, nervousness, hallucinations, anxiety, depression, flu-like symptoms, dyspepsia (indigestion), dyspnea (shortness of breath), hypoventilation, apnea, and urinary retention. Fentanyl use has also been associated with aphasia.[6]

Despite being a more potent analgesic, fentanyl tends to induce less nausea, as well as less histamine-mediated itching, in relation to morphine.[33]
Fentanyl may produce more prolonged respiratory depression than other opioid analgesics.[34][35][36][37][38][39][40] In 2006 the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) began investigating several respiratory deaths, but doctors in the United Kingdom were not warned of the risks with fentanyl until September 2008.[41] The FDA reported in April 2012 that young children had died or become seriously ill from accidental exposure to a fentanyl skin patch.[42]

The precise reason for sudden respiratory depression is unclear, but there are several hypotheses:
• Saturation of the body fat compartment in patients with rapid and profound body fat loss (patients with cancer, cardiac or infection-induced cachexia can lose 80% of their body fat).
• Early carbon dioxide retention causing cutaneous vasodilatation (releasing more fentanyl), together with acidosis, which reduces protein binding of fentanyl, releasing yet more fentanyl.
• Reduced sedation, losing a useful early warning sign of opioid toxicity and resulting in levels closer to respiratory-depressant levels.
Fentanyl has a therapeutic index of 270.[43]

Overdoses and fatalities
In July 2014, the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) issued a warning about the potential for life-threatening harm from accidental exposure to transdermal fentanyl patches, particularly in children,[44] and advised that they should be folded, with the adhesive side in, before being discarded. The patches should be kept away from children, who are most at risk from fentanyl overdose.[45] Musician Prince died of an accidental overdose of fentanyl in April 2016.[46]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fentanyl

Imo - Prince at 112 lbs was very vulnerable to OD...

We were talking about this at work today after the news broke. I thought they were in 'patch' form. That's what I've always heard. And that addicts chew them.

Someone said how it was a shame that Prince was just a day away from the help he needed. And suggested that maybe, on this night, he was determined to get 1 last, really good high.

So, I wonder if he had been taking them for a long time or if this was relatively new to him, and he just took to much.

Sad, regardless!!

Fentanyl
Adverse effects

Fentanyl's most common side-effects (more than 10% of patients) include diarrhea, nausea, constipation, dry mouth, somnolence, confusion, asthenia (weakness), sweating, and less frequently (3 to 10% of patients) abdominal pain, headache, fatigue, anorexia and weight loss, dizziness, nervousness, hallucinations, anxiety, depression, flu-like symptoms, dyspepsia (indigestion), dyspnea (shortness of breath), hypoventilation, apnea, and urinary retention. Fentanyl use has also been associated with aphasia.[6]

Despite being a more potent analgesic, fentanyl tends to induce less nausea, as well as less histamine-mediated itching, in relation to morphine.[33]
Fentanyl may produce more prolonged respiratory depression than other opioid analgesics.[34][35][36][37][38][39][40] In 2006 the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) began investigating several respiratory deaths, but doctors in the United Kingdom were not warned of the risks with fentanyl until September 2008.[41] The FDA reported in April 2012 that young children had died or become seriously ill from accidental exposure to a fentanyl skin patch.[42]

The precise reason for sudden respiratory depression is unclear, but there are several hypotheses:
•Saturation of the body fat compartment in patients with rapid and profound body fat loss (patients with cancer, cardiac or infection-induced cachexia can lose 80% of their body fat).
•Early carbon dioxide retention causing cutaneous vasodilatation (releasing more fentanyl), together with acidosis, which reduces protein binding of fentanyl, releasing yet more fentanyl.
•Reduced sedation, losing a useful early warning sign of opioid toxicity and resulting in levels closer to respiratory-depressant levels.
Fentanyl has a therapeutic index of 270.[43]

Overdoses and fatalities
In July 2014, the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) issued a warning about the potential for life-threatening harm from accidental exposure to transdermal fentanyl patches, particularly in children,[44] and advised that they should be folded, with the adhesive side in, before being discarded. The patches should be kept away from children, who are most at risk from fentanyl overdose.[45] Musician Prince died of an accidental overdose of fentanyl in April 2016.[46]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fentanyl

Imo - Prince at 112 lbs was very vulnerable to OD...
Very interesting and informative article. I had never heard of Fentanyl.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Fentanyl?? Oh wow! That's a sign of a very serious addiction. You don't start out on Fentanyl.

He saw a doctor the day before for "withdrawal problems" and then took an overdose of fentanyl? It possibly could have been a case of after having had the airplane overdose incident several days before he was trying to "taper down" or "go cold turkey", then succumbed to the urge and took his "usual dose" - which ended up to be just too much.

What a sad state of affairs. If Prince had sought legitimate medical care for his chronic pain condition this could likely have been avoided. There are plenty, plenty of chronic pain patients who successfully and responsibly take opioids for years t o control pain from physical conditions that are not ever going to go away.

But these people are not abusing their medication. Not taking more than prescribed by their doctor. Not doctor shopping, obtaining medication from outside sources, etc.

May Price rest in peace.
Agree. It seems to be the price of celebrity aka V.I.P. syndrome. Drug overdose has claimed the lives of our greatest music legends starting with Elvis, then Hendrix, Joplin, Jackson and now Prince Rodgers Nelson. [emoji26]

I don't think for a minute that this man wanted to die... But he obviously didn't know his limits.
I read that because Fentanyl is synthetic its potency may vary especially if it was street made. Because of Prince's weight, age, etc. a dose that one day isn't fatal could be another day. But he was definitely playing Russian Roulette taking Fentanyl.

Bbm: I guess what you are saying is that Prince was addicted for a long time?

I don't know much about this addiction - but recently have visited pages on recovery from same. And, omg, it is truly a very difficult and harrowing addiction. I cannot believe what I am reading about the side effects....

Prince, at 112 lbs, was at a very vulnerable weight for any medication. (imo) I wonder how how long he was prescribed (RX) these pain meds?
Its possible that someone got it for him off the street.

I read that because Fentanyl is synthetic its potency may vary especially if it was street made. Because of Prince's weight, age, etc. a dose that one day isn't fatal could be another day. But he was definitely playing Russian Roulette taking Fentanyl.

I knew of someone a long time ago that died of a drug overdose. She didn't wake up on New Years Eve. My best friend baby sat for this woman and her husband.

She was a successful business woman with a young Son. Who had a prescription for Xanax and mixed that with alcohol during her New Years Eve party.

That was when I learned the importance of not mixing drugs with alcohol. And just because you have done it X amount of times in the past, doesn't mean that one day, it won't be fatal. There is a warning on prescriptions for a reason.

I knew of someone a long time ago that died of a drug overdose. She didn't wake up on New Years Eve. My best friend baby sat for this woman and her husband.

She was a successful business woman with a young Son. Who had a prescription for Xanax and mixed that with alcohol during her New Years Eve party.

That was when I learned the importance of not mixing drugs with alcohol. And just because you have done it X amount of times in the past, doesn't mean that one day, it won't be fatal. There is a warning on prescriptions for a reason.
Very true. And so many people do it.

Very interesting and informative article. I had never heard of Fentanyl.

Strangely enough, I have been talking with a friend this past month in another forum and I told him I wondered if Fentanyl was involved.
It's not that easy to OD on percocettes...and yes, if he was into fentanyl he had a serious problem...well obviously he's dead..
Strange thing about opiod addiction, you can start out using it because of pain and end upmtakingnit just cause your body needs it and you imagine pain, it can also trick your body into thinking you have more pain than you do.
My ex is so addicted I don't know if he even knows if he has pain or not anymore .
He takes those patches , cuts them open and eats them.
I had a headache one day and he offered me some...I was like ummm no !
Such a waste .,,,RIP Prince

Strangely enough, I have been talking with a friend this past month in another forum and I told him I wondered if Fentanyl was involved.
It's not that easy to OD on percocettes...and yes, if he was into fentanyl he had a serious problem...well obviously he's dead..
Strange thing about opiod addiction, you can start out using it because of pain and end upmtakingnit just cause your body needs it and you imagine pain, it can also trick your body into thinking you have more pain than you do.
My ex is so addicted I don't know if he even knows if he has pain or not anymore .
You are so right about the phantom pain. My bf thinks he has super bad back pain and continues to take oxycontin. He got addicted after a few weeks and now his pain is worse!

You are so right about the phantom pain. My bf thinks he has super bad back pain and continues to take oxycontin. He got addicted after a few weeks and now his pain is worse!

Exactly ! That's how it works ..

The report states that Prince was wearing a black cap, black shirt, grey undershirt, black socks, black pants, black boxer briefs. This sounds like what he was wearing when the person dropped him off at 8pm Wednesday. Prince was at Walgreens at 7pm Wednesday night. It could very well be that Prince passed away in the elevator soon after he was dropped off. It sure sounds like the attire that he was photographed in leaving Walgreens.
Here is a link to the toxicology report;

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2016/images/06/02/prince.toxicology.pdf

prince_autopsy_report.jpg

TMZ Prince Walgreens photo;

http://www.tmz.com/2016/04/21/prince-walgreens-death/

0421-prince-leaving-cvs-4202016-tmz-9.jpg

Off topic: after my mom died from cancer, my dad had a migraine. He tried to use one of her 100mg Dilaudid patches. Within 15 min he was vomiting and just about overdosed! I know people cut them and chew them - I am sorry that you have to go through this. It must be hard to watch someone you love go through an addiction like this. [emoji53] hugs!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

The report states that Prince was wearing a black cap, black shirt, grey undershirt, black socks, black pants, black boxer briefs. This sounds like what he was wearing when the person dropped him off at 8pm Wednesday. Prince was at Walgreens at 7pm Wednesday night. It could very well be that Prince passed away in the elevator soon after he was dropped off. It sure sounds like the attire that he was photographed in leaving Walgreens.

I agree he was only 112#? I knew he wasn't large man, but I had no idea about his weight. [emoji22] RIP PRINCE

Yep it sure does. I agree that Prince died soon after being dropped off at 8 pm. It seems he never made it to his rooms.

Off topic: after my mom died from cancer, my dad had a migraine. He tried to use one of her 100mg Dilaudid patches. Within 15 min he was vomiting and just about overdosed! I know people cut them and chew them - I am sorry that you have to go through this. It must be hard to watch someone you love go through an addiction like this. [emoji53] hugs!

Thank you ! We go from pissed off, to disgusted to just so damn sad ...like Prince , it's such a waste .
While we are mentally prepared , I'm sure it's going to be hard for my son especially He tends to hold it all in and pretend indifference, when in fact, I know it breaks his heart .
His fathers started with an injury ...now I'm not so sure if even he knows if he is in pain ...it's more about the addiction now.

Yep it sure does. I agree that Prince died soon after being dropped off at 8 pm. It seems he never made it to his rooms.

So damn sad...,although addicts have an arrogant attitude about it all, it really is a very lonely disease .

Thank you ! We go from pissed off, to disgusted to just so damn sad ...like Prince , it's such a waste .
While we are mentally prepared , I'm sure it's going to be hard for my son especially He tends to hold it all in and pretend indifference, when in fact, I know it breaks his heart .
His fathers started with an injury ...now I'm not so sure if even he knows if he is in pain ...it's more about the addiction now.
You aren't alone. Addiction rears it's ugly head even years after you thought a loved one had beat it. At least the laws have gotten a little tougher, hopefully it will protect some, however heroin is rampant here in part (I believe) because narcotics are harder to get a prescription for. [emoji53] IT IS SO SAD!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member