Found Deceased FL - Lane Graves, 2, Walt Disney World, 14 June 2016 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh. We have a pond, too, and we get a gator in it usually once or twice a year. We swim in it year-round, and so do our dogs, and our friends, and our friends' kids, and our friends' dogs. One of my dogs I can't keep out of the pond.

you are brave!!! :)

Sorry to be graphic but wondering....will an alligator consume clothes and shoes or will it spit those things out?

Huh. We have a pond, too, and we get a gator in it usually once or twice a year. We swim in it year-round, and so do our dogs, and our friends, and our friends' kids, and our friends' dogs. One of my dogs I can't keep out of the pond.

I would be to scared to take that chance. No one would be allowed in my pond.

Yep I'd be suicidal.

"Disney is doing its best to keep the family comfortable."

For me, after witnessing my child like that, I would hope that includes an elephant tranquilizer that lasts about 10 years because that's what I'd need to be dealing with being there right about now.

I certainly hope you warn your friends & their kids of the danger involved...

I was just at Disney World with my 6 kids, their spouses and 5 grandkids. With all of the security there - you would think you would see a camera image of what happened. Perhaps they would not want to broadcast it, however, it should take the heat off of the parents. In addition, people are using their phone cameras and video every where, it is amazing to me that there are no reports of anyone catching this on video. jmo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I pray a video like this would never be released to live on the internet forever. The poor family...........

I just wanted to say, I've seen this beach in person. I've also just been on TripAdvisor scouring hundreds of photos. It seems negligent to me that Disney does everything it could to make this beach look inviting and resort like. The white sand, loungers and umbrellas. To me that outweighs any no swimming signs. They advertise this theme hotel as beach style resort. Everything about that beach screams "come on in"

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sorry to be graphic but wondering....will an alligator consume clothes and shoes or will it spit those things out?

They eat small prey whole and would not differentiate clothing, etc.. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just wanted to say, I've seen this beach in person. I've also just been on TripAdvisor scouring hundreds of photos. It seems negligent to me that Disney does everything it could to make this beach look inviting and resort like. The white sand, loungers and umbrellas. To me that outweighs any no swimming signs. They advertise this theme hotel as beach style resort. Everything about that beach screams "come on in"

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

agree, this should have been fenced off with warning signs everywhere. Disney is going to take a huge hit over this.

This happened before 9 pm (the 911 calls came in shortly after 9)...it was still light out.

Orlando sunset time was 8:25pm. It was probably dark enough for them not to be able to see the water properly.

I would be to scared to take that chance. No one would be allowed in my pond.

They're in far far greater danger while in their car driving here.

They go water-skiing in the river, which is filled with gators. And in the harbor, where bull sharks and hammerheads are regularly spotted.

Risk assessment, when done realistically, indicates that gators are not generally something to be particularly concerned about.

Anyone who has watched any "Gator Boys" episodes knows that gators are typically very shy of humans, and not particularly dangerous.

This was a freak incident. My heart breaks for the parents of that child. But the fact that it happened doesn't suddenly make gators a huge or highly dangerous threat. They're not.

I guess I am coming at it from an Australian perspective. We stay right out the way of crocs. They terrify me.

I'm told that Florida alligators are much less aggressive than crocodiles. They're seen as lazy and maybe even slow-moving. I live in the North and personally could never get used to it. There's something about a reptile that's different from, say, a coyote when it comes to scariness.

agree, this should have been fenced off with warning signs everywhere. Disney is going to take a huge hit over this.

Why do you think so? I agree the warning signs should've included alligators, but there's not been a problem before. 45 years in business (according to the Sheriff), and 28 years with this specific beach, and it's never happened before. 19,000,000 visitors to WDW annually. It was a horrible accident, but I just don't see a huge "hit" coming. Disney is very very good at being Disney.

Alligators are on Florida golf courses, too. Did anyone see this 15 footer:

[video=youtube;RXn1g0xtUMk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXn1g0xtUMk[/video]

They would swallow it all in big chunks.

Disney normally relocates gators over 4 feet (presumably if they catch them). In this case they are hunting down gators and cutting them open to look for body parts. Four have been killed so far with no results.

Why are they doing that? Can't they just x-ray them? These aren't giant behemouth 900 lb animals, I don't understand why they can't put them on an x-ray table, check for parts and then relocate those that are clear. I would think a 2 year old's bones would be dense enough to show up on the x-ray.

Alligator with bone in stomach:
a1271_3714.4.BH.FOB.jpg

Why do you think so? I agree the warning signs should've included alligators, but there's not been a problem before. 45 years in business (according to the Sheriff), and 28 years with this specific beach, and it's never happened before. 19,000,000 visitors to WDW annually. It was a horrible accident, but I just don't see a huge "hit" coming. Disney is very very good at being Disney.

Exactly. One incident is not going to affect Disney at all. The world will keep spinning. They are not going to suffer any drop in visitors, and any $$ they pay out towards the family (in a settlement because it's not going to court) will be a drop in the bucket.

This has been on my mind all day since I heard it first thing this morning. I feel horrible for the parents I could not even imagine seeing a gator dragging your child away and you are helpless. When I was young my brother and I would spend a couple weeks in the summer with my grandparents in Florida. Gators were everywhere in their mobile home park and we were right near them a lot it's horrifying how unpredictable and dangerous they can be. I pray the parents can get some kind of answers I just can't imagine knowing your child was eaten uhhh I just can't....

They would swallow it all in big chunks.

Disney normally relocates gators over 4 feet (presumably if they catch them). In this case they are hunting down gators and cutting them open to look for body parts. Four have been killed so far with no results.

Why are they doing that? Can't they just x-ray them? These aren't giant behemouth 900 lb animals, I don't understand why they can't put them on an x-ray table, check for parts and then relocate those that are clear. I would think a 2 year old's bones would be dense enough to show up on the x-ray.

Alligator with bone in stomach:
a1271_3714.4.BH.FOB.jpg

In the presser, the Florida Wildlife Management representative stated that gators are not relocated, that would just be "relocating a problem alligator."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member