Found Deceased FL - Lane Graves, 2, Walt Disney World, 14 June 2016 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being a Californian who has set foot in Florida exactly once, and that was to board a cruise ship- I know in theory that gators exist in Florida. I thought swamps. I did not know that Disney World was built next to a lagoon where gators swim!!!

It was an artificial lagoon, I think the sheriff said. I would personally think, if I was visiting Disney, that a manmade lagoon would be safe.

It's really just common sense. When you are in Florida, EVERY body of water is suspect. Even private swimming pools FGS. I can't imagine venturing into a lagoon, canal, non-supervised body of water in Florida. Is there really anybody that doesn't associate Florida with alligators? They roam everywhere, they don't care if it's Disney property or not. What were they thinking???? I can't blame Disney for this one.

I lived in Minnesota, the land of 10,000 lakes. We can swim anywhere we want to. Anytime we want to. Day, night, it does not matter. We just have to worry about dangerous currents in rivers or in the Big Lake-- Lake Superior. I imagine some people live where there is no water. No, people do not know about where other people live.

Having been to Disney several times, it would have never crossed my mind that there were gators in the lagoon - even with it being Florida (Gator Country) .. it's a horrible tragedy that happened. I personally would probably not have been in the water because to me, I always thought that lagoon was "dirty" looking and lakes/ponds creep me out anyways. But to a child and a family on vacation, I am sure it looked tempting to play around, gators being the last thing on their minds at Disney World!! I hope there is added caution after this incident to keep this from happening again.

I was hoping that the parents got to see and hold their son, if it's what they wished, before he was taken to the ME's office. I don't know if that would be allowed but I would sure hope so.
:rose:

maybe they wouldn't want to. I know even if my baby was in pieces, I would want to hold him.

I was hoping that the parents got to see and hold their son, if it's what they wished, before he was taken to the ME's office. I don't know if that would be allowed but I would sure hope so.

I talked with a friend today who goes to the military "resort". Something Green? She said it is right next to this hotel in Disney. She said the military place has alligator signs all over , but she does thing Disney did. Even though she was staying right next door to Disney with the signs, she never dreamed about Disney having gators.

I've been to the military resort, as well. Shades of Green. It is also a resort, but only military families (or retired) and offers the same type of amenities at much, much lower prices. We couldn't have afforded Disney, otherwise. It is on the Disney property. There are gators there, as well -- I've seen them. I also live in Ohio, where gators are not common. We watched it from a (very long) distance. Would never have even thought to get close to the water (pond) where it was. But there was no sand there, either. I agree with an earlier poster, that having sand around the place gives a very confusing message. And yes, there were "beware of the alligator" signs posted at Shades of Green. It is very close to the Polynesian -- there is a walking path that goes between the two. You then catch the boat over to the park, and pass the Grand Floridian.

Sweetdreams little man. Utterly heartbroken but just a tragic accident.

I'm from Scotland, no Aligators or crocodiles in sight, I'v been to Florida once when I was 7 and even I know that I would never ever go near any bed of water in Florida. Everyone is different. They must have thought it was perfectly safe.

His body is intact - likely drowned. But Dr. G's office will perform an autopsy. Per FNC, LE live statement. He was found in 6 feet of water about 15 feet out.

maybe they wouldn't want to. I know even if my baby was in pieces, I would want to hold him.

I agree, cv, everyone's different. I was thinking about what I would want. Some people wouldn't want to and I completely understand that too. We just ache for them and their grieving has just begun.

I doubt it for now...he drowned, as you probably already know, he wouldn't look "ok enough". I am sure they will be able to though at some point. :( Those poor people.

Saw a photo of the family from when Lane was a baby. It just makes it seem even more sad somehow. More real, I guess.

Alligators are on Florida golf courses, too. Did anyone see this 15 footer:

[video=youtube;RXn1g0xtUMk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXn1g0xtUMk[/video]

That guy cinches it for me! I'll never go to Florida ever again.

Being a Californian who has set foot in Florida exactly once, and that was to board a cruise ship- I know in theory that gators exist in Florida. I thought swamps. I did not know that Disney World was built next to a lagoon where gators swim!!!

Disney World was built pretty much entirely on swampland.

The lagoon is man-made. But that's immaterial to the gators. They get in people's pools all the time.

His body is intact - likely drowned. But Dr. G's office will perform an autopsy. Per FNC, LE live statement. He was found in 6 feet of water about 15 feet out.

It's likely though I read on wikipedia's entry on american alligators that alligator bites alone can be fatal due to injury and/or infection. But in this case it's probably drowning, the alligators do that to their food so they can eat later.

The discovery of the boy's body comes after a Disney lifeguard revealed to Daily Mail Online that the boy was 10 feet from the shore when he was snatched. It was previously reported that the boy was only in ankle-deep to a foot of water.
The employee told Daily Mail Online even at a distance of ten feet, the water is 'not too deep'. 'We have lifeguards on duty at the play area but at the beach we don't have any lifeguards because you're not supposed to be in the water,' they said.

The two-year-old was wading in about a foot of water. The Seven Seas Lagoon behind the upscale hotel is off limits to guests, and there are 'no swimming' signs posted nearby - but none of them warned about possible alligators in the water.
The Disney worker said that the father was the first at the scene and then the lifeguards rushed in. But nobody was able to save the child from the alligator, which was up to seven feet long. The father witnessed was left with lacerations on his arms.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-struck-lifeguard-reveals.html#ixzz4BgINUDWk
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I take the DailyFAIL "info" with a grain of salt, for the most part. They can't even get the family's hometown right. The maps, however, are quite helpful for anyone unfamiliar with the resort layout.

I cant imagine the sheer hell it is to leave there, getting on the plane to go home. Ugh.

I was just reading on the Orlando Sentinel that they weren't in the water at all! So much contradictory information at this point in time still.

In response to reports the family was watching a hotel-sponsored movie near the shore, Disney said it hosts such events but believed the film ended before the attack. The family was sitting near the water, not swimming or wading in it, officials said.

The body was found 10-15 yards in, according to that article.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...-dragged-alligator-disney-20160614-story.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998