FL - Mass Shooting at Pulse Nightclub, Orlando 12 June 2016 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just so confused.... So many people dead.. and so many people arguing over why..... If I was a parent or sister or brother or friend.... this is so sad...

I just want to acknowledge and thank Everyday Grace & ib Nora for their links. I personally think you both are consistently on track with your postings and information. THANKS!

The media

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...spaper-front-pages-pictures-photogallery.html

1050x591

1050x591

1050x591

1050x591

Mosque where Orlando shooter Omar Mateen attended receiving threats, targeted by group of motorcyclists, Islamic group says
Sun Sentinel
By Kate Jacobson
June 28, 2016

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-fort-pierce-mosque-threats-20160628-story.html

“Fort Pierce-area mosque once attended by Orlando shooter Omar Mateen is receiving threats and members are being intimidated, according to an Islamic group representing the mosque.

Since Mateen killed 49 people in an Orlando nightclub June 12, the mosque has received threatening voice messages and was visited by a motorcycle group Sunday that circled the building yelling at congregants, according to the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

"They called it a 'patriotic rally,'" said Wilfredo Ruiz, communications director for the council's Florida chapter.

The messages left at the Fort Pierce Islamic Center had profanity, included racial slurs and alluded to physical harm, Ruiz said. He said people in the Muslim community — specifically those in the Fort Pierce area — are fearful that they might be attacked.”​

More...

Motorcyclists conduct ‘Patriotic Ride’ on Sunday around Fort Pierce mosque
June 27, 2016
By Elliott Jones of TCPalm

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/special/...pierce-mosque-where-orlando--3-384595831.html

“ST. LUCIE COUNTY — Lewis Smith is a retired Marine sergeant who served in the conflicts in Afghanistan in 2001 and Iraq in 2003.

After the Orlando mass shooting, the Port St. Lucie resident and his wife, Mondie, said they felt compelled to speak out.

Smith, 36, a Martin County firefighter, let his motorcycle's engine do the talking, as did 200 bikers on Sunday as they repeatedly circled a mosque formerly attended by the shooter, Omar Mateen, of Fort Pierce.

The Islamic Center of Fort Pierce, which is in the 1100 block of West Midway Road, also was attended by Moner Mohammad Abu-Salha, 22, the former Indian River County resident who federal authorities identified as the nation's first suicide bomber.

Organizer Randy Anderton said the event was aimed at drawing attention to the mosque and the mass shooting in Orlando.

At noon on Sunday, bikers from around Florida converged in St. Lucie County to show they do not fear terrorism, Smith said.

"We stand united against those willing to destroy our country and what we stand for," he said.”​

More...

And so it goes. A year or so ago, the same group likely would have just as easily ridden their bikes around a Pulse nightclub united against "the gays".

June 27, 2016

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/special/...pierce-mosque-where-orlando--3-384595831.html

“ST. LUCIE COUNTY — Lewis Smith is a retired Marine sergeant who served in the conflicts in Afghanistan in 2001 and Iraq in 2003.

After the Orlando mass shooting, the Port St. Lucie resident and his wife, Mondie, said they felt compelled to speak out.

Smith, 36, a Martin County firefighter, let his motorcycle's engine do the talking, as did 200 bikers on Sunday as they repeatedly circled a mosque formerly attended by the shooter, Omar Mateen, of Fort Pierce.

The Islamic Center of Fort Pierce, which is in the 1100 block of West Midway Road, also was attended by Moner Mohammad Abu-Salha, 22, the former Indian River County resident who federal authorities identified as the nation's first suicide bomber.

Organizer Randy Anderton said the event was aimed at drawing attention to the mosque and the mass shooting in Orlando.

At noon on Sunday, bikers from around Florida converged in St. Lucie County to show they do not fear terrorism, Smith said.

"We stand united against those willing to destroy our country and what we stand for," he said.”​

More...

And so it goes. A year or so ago, the same group likely would have just as easily ridden their bikes around a Pulse nightclub united against "the gays".

Aren't they special! Ugh

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-fort-pierce-mosque-threats-20160628-story.html

He said people in the Muslim community — specifically those in the Fort Pierce area — are fearful that they might be attacked.

"People in the community are afraid," he said. "They are fearful for their safety and community. The imam told me, when I asked what is your main concern, he told me safety and security of his family and he was in tears when he told me that."

If I went to a church in a community that turned out both the first American overseas suicide bomber and the perpetrator of the worst mass shooting in America -- in less than two years-- I'd be more worried what's going on inside my church and community, than who's circling around outside or allegedly leaving nasty voicemails. :thinking:

A spokesman for the Saint Lucie County Sheriff's Office said the agency has received no calls for service to the mosque since the shooting. In a statement to the Associated Press, Sheriff Ken Mascara said that deputies are patrolling the mosque more frequently but that the agency does not have enough staff to place guards there long term.

So the mosque won't make a formal complaint to the police, haven't called for service, but they have complained to the Sun-Sentinal. Interesting.

So McVeigh is an outlier? Or just a different form of terrorist? He could have easily gone up with the building but chose not to. He didn't turn himself in and afaik he didn't have a mental illness.
Perhaps McVeigh did, only it's a metal illness or personality disorder that is either not already well-known or named?
At first glance Mr. McVeigh [...] seemed utterly ordinary. [...] Everybody who met him described him the same: quiet, polite, neat. Yet, as commonplace as this seems, criminologists say, these traits are often the stuff of serial killers, terrorists and other solitary murderers.

"There are the same kind of characteristics," said John Douglas, recently retired as head of the Federal Bureau of Investigation's psychological profile unit. "Asocial, asexual, a loner, withdrawn, from a family with problems, strong feelings of inadequacy from early in life, an underachiever."

"[An] obsession with weapons -- a form of power -- is an overcompensation for deep-rooted feelings of inadequacy," said Mr. Douglas, the model for the F.B.I. analyst in the movie The Silence of the Lambs. "They compensate for a while by talking the talk, but after a while they have to go out and do something about it," he said. "Typically the time for violence is in the mid-20's. They look in the mirror and see they're going nowhere fast.".
http://www.nytimes.com/1995/12/31/u...ct-unraveling-frayed-life.html?pagewanted=all
Way more at link. The article is specifically about McVeigh, of course, but a lot of this also applies to Mateen. A misogynistic streak apparent in both would be another parallel, imo.

Mosque where Orlando shooter Omar Mateen attended receiving threats, targeted by group of motorcyclists, Islamic group says
Sun Sentinel
By Kate Jacobson
June 28, 2016

“Fort Pierce-area mosque once attended by Orlando shooter Omar Mateen is receiving threats and members are being intimidated, according to an Islamic group representing the mosque.

Since Mateen killed 49 people in an Orlando nightclub June 12, the mosque has received threatening voice messages and was visited by a motorcycle group Sunday that circled the building yelling at congregants, according to the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

"They called it a 'patriotic rally,'" said Wilfredo Ruiz, communications director for the council's Florida chapter.

The messages left at the Fort Pierce Islamic Center had profanity, included racial slurs and alluded to physical harm, Ruiz said. He said people in the Muslim community — specifically those in the Fort Pierce area — are fearful that they might be attacked.”​

More...
Considering two terrorists came out of this very small mosque, I can't say I am surprised. However, civilians threatening the mosque is pretty stupid. Their time would be better spent writing their representatives and picketing the mosque to get more attention so it gets checked out again, since I'm sure LE's been out there more than a few times already. I've just remembered the guy from this mosque that actually reported Mateen, however, and he seemed like a good guy. He could have been lying and the mosque could actually be encouraging their congregation to do horrible stuff and/or believe a twisted version of the Quran/Hadith, but I think it's also possible it could just be a horrible coincidence. When I think of all these weirdo couples (not necessarily married or dating, friends as well) that commit these heinous murders for the absolute stupidest reasons that somehow find each other to commit all these disgusting, vile, and horrid crimes, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that it could have been coincidental. "Could have", as in maybe. I definitely think the mosque could be at fault as well.

If I went to a church in a community that turned out both the first American overseas suicide bomber and the perpetrator of the worst mass shooting in America -- in less than two years-- I'd be more worried what's going on inside my church and community, than who's circling around outside or allegedly leaving nasty voicemails. :thinking:

So the mosque won't make a formal complaint to the police, haven't called for service, but they have complained to the Sun-Sentinal. Interesting.
Yep, I definitely can see your point. :(

Sun Sentinel
By Kate Jacobson
June 28, 2016

More...

the mosque that keeps churning out terrorists isnt claiming anything, cair, widely considered a terrorist group itself, is on their behalf.
any links to the audio? heh

June 27, 2016

More...

The event, said Smith, also was for showing support for the 49 people fatally shot at Orlando gay nightclub Pulse.
try again

Aren't they special! Ugh

Its just so ironic to me that people are responding to hate with hate.A bunch of motorcycle people terroizing a bunch of people in a mosque is NO idfferent than the Turkey terrositsts terrozing airline passengers.

That was the motor cycles goal - to terrorize- Isn' that impressive - driving all the way down there to drive around in a circle 15 times.Dumb imo- go do something productive bring flowers to a cancer unit or something. Wound love to here this brillant idea get started - hey lets drive down there , ride in circles , yeh lets go zoom zoom zoom

Hate is hate, its no different which direction its thrown - its hate

mo

[h=1]Inside an Orlando gun show just one week after the Pulse massacre[/h]
http://fusion.net/story/320212/orlando-shooting-gun-show-defend-weapons/

160628-gun-show4.png

Its just so ironic to me that people are responding to hate with hate.A bunch of motorcycle people terroizing a bunch of people in a mosque is NO idfferent than the Turkey terrositsts terrozing airline passengers.

That was the motor cycles goal - to terrorize- Isn' that impressive - driving all the way down there to drive around in a circle 15 times.Dumb imo- go do something productive bring flowers to a cancer unit or something. Wound love to here this brillant idea get started - hey lets drive down there , ride in circles , yeh lets go zoom zoom zoom

Hate is hate, its no different which direction its thrown - its hate

I respectfully disagree. Driving motorcycles around the block 15 times is IN NO WAY comparable to detonating 3 bombs at an airport. One is a constitutionally protected act of political expression, and one is terrorism.

Such a comparison totally trivializes what all those people went through in Istanbul.

Law enforcement theory: Omar Mateen may have had plans for other attacks following Pulse shooting
WFTV ABCNews 9
Updated: Jun 30, 2016 - 6:19 PM

http://www.wftv.com/news/pulse-shoo...er-attacks-following-pulse-shooting/375088626

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. — “New information obtained by Eyewitness News suggests Orlando mass shooter Omar Mateen, did not expect to die inside the Pulse nightclub on June 12.

A source who saw surveillance video told Channel 9’s Shannon Butler that Mateen had a gun strap over his left shoulder and walked into the club with the rifle along his left side.

Authorities have said that Mateen did most of his killing in the first several minutes inside the nightclub. Three sources told Eyewitness News Mateen was headed out the door when he was confronted by an off-duty Orlando police officer.

Sources told Eyewitness News Mateen first parked his car at the Wendy's restaurant, walked across the street to Pulse and had a drink.

A few minutes later, he left the club and went back to Wendy’s to move his vehicle closer to Pulse. He walked from a nearby tint shop, passed an off-duty officer who was in an unmarked vehicle to go inside Pulse. At 2:02 a.m., Mateen began shooting, sources told Eyewitness News.

The off-duty police officer heard the shots and made his way toward the club.

Investigators think Mateen was likely done with the killing and was heading out the door to the patio when he was confronted by the off-duty officer.”​

More...

Cops: 13 SWAT members fired at Mateen in final Pulse gunfight
Orlando Sentinel
By David Harris
June 30, 2016

“Thirteen Orlando police and Orange County sheriff's deputies opened fire on Omar Mateen in the final gunfight at the Pulse nightclub, OPD's SWAT commander said in an interview Thursday.”​

Much more...

From yesterday:

FBI asks agencies who responded to Pulse to deny records requests
Orlando Sentinel
By Christal Hayes
June 29, 2016

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...bi-letter-law-enforcement-20160629-story.html

“The FBI has asked law enforcement agencies who responded to Pulse nightclub to withhold records from the public, according to officials.

A June 20 letter from the FBI, attached to the City or Orlando's lawsuit over withholding 911 calls and other records from 25 media outlets including the Orlando Sentinel, was also sent to the Seminole County Sheriff's Office with instructions pertaining to how they should respond to records requests.

The letter requests that agencies deny inquiries and directs departments to "immediately notify the FBI of any requests your agency received" so "the FBI can seek to prevent disclosure through appropriate channels, as necessary."”​

More, more, more...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member