Man feared dead after falling into Yellowstone hot spring

MelmothTheLost

Reaction score
A man is feared to have died after falling into a hot spring in Yellowstone National Park.

A visitor to the park on Tuesday reported seeing a man in his early 20s walk off the boardwalk in the Norris Geyser Basin area and fall into the thermal spring about 225 yards away.
<aside class="element element-rich-link element--thumbnail element-rich-link--upgraded" data-component="rich-link" data-link-name="rich-link-1 | 1">
</aside> The Norris Geyser Basin is the hottest and most dynamic thermal area in Yellowstone, which features springs that can reach temperatures close to 200F (93C).

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ead-after-falling-into-yellowstone-hot-spring

(Perhaps I should have put this in the missing section)

I think there is a thread on people missing in national parks downstairs.
With all the recent incidents at Yellowstone it will not be long before it is closed off to visitors.

I think there is a thread on people missing in national parks downstairs.
With all the recent incidents at Yellowstone it will not be long before it is closed off to visitors.

Or they'll have to put 30-foot-high plexiglass walls around all the springs.

I had wrongly assumed when I first heard this story on the news yesterday that this person had committed suicide. To me, though, if you choose not to follow the rules or safety guides, you do so at your own risk. There is no way possible the man and his sister were not aware of the instructions. 225 feet from the given walkway is a long way, IMHO.

More fines, less missing people sounds good to me!

There's a book about deaths in Yellowstone, and I just finished the chapter on hot springs. It's pretty gruesome reading.

Heard about this story today. Why people don't take greater precaution when there have been so many similar incidents before, I just don't get it. Especially when you risk getting cooked alive.

I grew up near Yellowstone Park. Everybody has tales of really stupid tourist behavior. My personal favorite was the woman who berated me loudly for the way we wasted energy by not turning off the geysers in the winter...

I grew up near Yellowstone Park. Everybody has tales of really stupid tourist behavior. My personal favorite was the woman who berated me loudly for the way we wasted energy by not turning off the geysers in the winter...
:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

DH and I just took the camper to St Joe's Peninsula at the edge of the Florida panhandle. We went out to an eatery where tons of tourists go and we watched several tourists heading towards the dumpsters. Being a ws'er, I had to investigate. There was a baby black bear trying to get to the dumpsters for food. Several children were attempting to get towards the cub and I had to tell them that "where there's a baby, there's a Momma who will protect her cub". They gasped and went back to the protection of their parents who were watching from a good distance. There were some adults there though. I went into the restaurant to report what was taking place for the bear and human safety, but was waved off with a "Yeah, they are out here every night and the people take pictures". Seriously???!!!

I worked in Yellowstone during the summer of 1988.

We called visitors "tourons" for a reason. (a cross between a "tourist" and something that rhymes with "tourons") :p

SABBM

Unbelievable. Some people's ignorance is astounding. Leave wildlife where it is and if you have concerns... call the DNR !

OMG people are so stupid! I visit yellowstone a lot and it is crazy how stupid some people can be. You have to know that there are areas around those hot springs etc where the crust of the earth there is inches or less, stupid to wander off those ramps and boardwalks. But every yr people go ahead and try to pet the buffalo or walk on thin ground it's amazing the stupid that abounds. And you get a booklet when you go into the park, there's signs everywhere its pretty easy to be smart.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucius79
Back