MN - Philando Castile, 32, shot by police officer, 6 July 2016 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely atrocious.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

The video is hard to watch. You can literally see this man's life leave him. From what is being "said" in the video... it appears that the man was getting his information out (like requested) and even informed the officer that he had a weapon and it was legal. As he reached to get his information... he was shot four times and killed. Hopefully the officer had a body cam or at the very least... his dash cam was on. I'd like to see the stop from start to finish. I am happy that the woman and the child are okay.

This police officer shot into a car at point blank range when a child was in the back seat! What is going on with these trigger happy police? Are they not getting enough training or what?
I am generally supportive of LE but there have been way, way too many of these incidents

The video is hard to watch. You can literally see this man's life leave him. From what is being "said" in the video... it appears that the man was getting his information out (like requested) and even informed the officer that he had a weapon and it was legal. As he reached to get his information... he was shot four times and killed. Hopefully the officer had a body cam or at the very least... his dash cam was on. I'd like to see the stop from start to finish. I am happy that the woman and the child are okay.

I hope the cop had a body camera. I'd like to see the stop from the beginning as well.

Many people have their gun holstered in the same general area of where they need to reach for their wallet. KWIM? What is the safe way for cop and concealed carrier to proceed? Sounds like this cop just shot when the guy reached.

Sad case! Innocent traffic stop turned deadly. This could be my Husband. He carries. (This will stir up conversation tonight)

I hope the cop had a body camera. I'd like to see the stop from the beginning as well.

Many people have their gun holstered in the same general area of where they need to reach for their wallet. KWIM? What is the safe way for cop and concealed carrier to proceed? Sounds like this cop just shot when the guy reached.

Sad case! Innocent traffic stop turned deadly. This could be my Husband. He carries. (This will stir up conversation tonight)

bbm

Not sure about Minnesota, but when I listen to police scanner in Md,Va the cop knows if the owner of the vehicle that is being stopped has a concealed carry permit. But in this case it appears that the victim, Philando was the passenger..

IDK what happened before the video began but I do wonder why the officer was on the passenger side and not the driver's side. Definitely needs to be investigated. jmo idk

eta: husband has CC & it's the first thing he says when he is pulled over, with both hands on the steering wheel he announces he has a CC and where the weapon is, ( they say they know.) he then proceeds to show license & insurance.

bbm

Not sure about Minnesota, but when I listen to police scanner in Md,Va the cop knows if the owner of the vehicle that is being stopped has a concealed carry permit. But in this case it appears that the victim, Philando was the passenger..

IDK what happened before the video began but I do wonder why the officer was on the passenger side and not the driver's side. Definitely needs to be investigated. jmo idk

eta: husband has CC & it's the first thing he says when he is pulled over, with both hands on the steering wheel he announces he has a CC and where the weapon is, ( they say they know.) he then proceeds to show license & insurance.

(The footage appears to have been flipped when it was uploaded to social media sites, mistakenly suggesting Castile was the passenger in the car when, in fact, he was the driver.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...campaign_id=A100&campaign_type=Email#comments

bbm

Thanks! I was just told the same thing on Facebook from a CC.

And after you mentioned he was the passenger I realized the interior of the car looked odd.

So, he was in deed the owner and driver of the car. But the image was somehow flipped. That's why the steering wheel placement looks so odd.

No body cam, according to CNN.

"I'm here for you, Mommy"

That little voice... this is just heartbreaking and rage inducing.

So it sounds like-police stop the car, ask the driver for his license and registration (as usually done). Driver tells them he is a concealed weapon holder then proceeds to reach for his license. Policeman then shots him (presumably afraid he is reaching for his gun). So how was he supposed to stay alive during this traffic stop (for something routine)? He was following instructions to get his license.

So it sounds like-police stop the car, ask the driver for his license and registration (as usually done). Driver tells them he is a concealed weapon holder then proceeds to reach for his license. Policeman then shots him (presumably afraid he is reaching for his gun). So how was he supposed to stay alive during this traffic stop (for something routine)? He was following instructions to get his license.

Communication break down or one of the parties involved wasn't trained correctly on how to handle this situation? IDK

The cop should be trained to tell CC to keep hands where they can be seen. (this cop says that's what he said but the girlfriend says otherwise)

And the CC should be trained to inform of gun on person and licensed status and to keep hands up. (girlfriend says he reached because the cop asked for ID)

As a CC, if you know you the best thing for you to do is keep your hands up because that's what you've been trained to do, what should you do if the cop is telling you otherwise? Scary!!

And without a body cam it becomes he said - she said.

No body cam, according to CNN.

"I'm here for you, Mommy"

That little voice... this is just heartbreaking and rage inducing.

Okay, 2 cop shootings within days an no body cameras? UGH!!

I realize the Louisiana cops had them but they became dislodged during the struggle, but, still. We're not doing good enough with this technology if every department doesn't have it or it's not being placed properly.

One of the most sickening things is that this man's life could have been saved if he'd received immediate first aid. But no, the officers went in to 'cover-my-*advertiser censored*' mode, treated the rest on the scene as hostile and let this man bleed out. I know many of you know my negative opinions on guns, but this country does afford this man his right to carry a gun in his car and he shouldn't have been shot as someone just exercising that right.

One of the most sickening things is that that man's life could have been save if he'd received first aid. But no, the officers went in to 'cover-my-*advertiser censored*' mode, treated the rest on the scene as hostile and let this man bleed out. I know many of you know my opinions on guns, but this country does afford this man his right to carry a gun in his car and he shouldn't have been shot as someone just exercising that right.

Totally agree.

More extensive video transcript via the Minneapolis Star Tribune:

He asked him for license and registration he told him that it was in his wallet but he had a pistol on him because he’s licensed to carry and the officer told him don’t move and as he was putting his hands back up the officer shot him in his arm about four or five times.

He asked him for his license and registration which was in the back of his pocket because he keeps his wallet in his pocket. And as he went to reach he let the officer know before he was reaching that he had a firearm on him and before he can let the officer know anything the officer took off shots. About 4 or 5 rounds were shot...

Much more at the link:

http://m.startribune.com/transcript-of-facebook-live-shooting-aftermath-video/385850431/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk