KS - Overland Park Police Officer Investigated/Fired for Making Threats Against Child

tlcya

Old and Re-Tired Websleuth
Reaction score
https://www.facebook.com/OverlandParkPoliceDepartment/posts/672790336208203

The Overland Park Police Department overnight was made aware of a Facebook post, reportedly made by one of our officer's, from their personal Facebook account.

As soon as our department became aware of this post we commenced an investigation.

Chief Francis Donchez Jr. wants to assure the community the Overland Park Police Department will not tolerate any form of discrimination or threats. Possible disciplinary action for inappropriate behavior by staff members includes several steps including termination of employment.

-------------------------------------------
The Kansas City Star reports reports the Facebook post was apparently made by an officer from his personal account after the killing of police officers in Dallas. The post was on the page of a woman who had posted a picture of a small child.

The officer allegedly posted this: “We’ll see how much her life matters soon. Better be careful leaving your info open where she can be found
1f642.png
Hold her close tonight it’ll be the last time.” See more here

http://salinapost.com/2016/07/08/police-investigate-alleged-facebook-threat-made-by-kansas-officer/

Officer Rodney Lee Wilson was dismissed from the Overland Park force Friday after he commented on a public photo of LaNaydra Williams’ daughter, India — a 5-year-old who lives about 500 miles away in Dallas.

“We’ll see how much her life matters soon,” he wrote on a 2014 photo showing little India posing in a pair of boots. “Better be careful leaving your info open where she can be found :) Hold her close tonight it’ll be the last time.”

The chilling comment came just after five Dallas cops were killed while protecting an anti-police brutality protest downtown.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...k-threat-dallas-woman-child-article-1.2705351

In the midst of riots, protests, and police deaths in Texas, Dallas-native Lanaydra Williams Skyped into the KCTV5 newsroom to tell the Kansas City CBS-affiliate about her harrowing encounter with a stranger online - a man who turned out to be from Overland Park, Kansas.
10941404_G.jpg

[h=6][/h]

"People need to realize racism isn't dead. It isn't going anywhere," Williams said.
[...]
"I was upset because this is my child. If it had been me, it would have been different but this is my child," Williams said.

http://www.wibw.com/content/news/Ov...acebook-threat-to-Dallas-woman-386091371.html

“I received a notification from a name I didn't know,” Williams recalled.

She said she didn’t get any sleep overnight, but it's not just because of the deadly law enforcement ambush that happened in Dallas.

“It's not okay. Not my child, she's all I have. India is my heart, that's not right. We're already on edge, so why would you do that?” Williams asked.

http://fox4kc.com/2016/07/08/terrif...-targeted-her-with-threatening-facebook-post/

I saw this last night, and it's beyond reprehensible. I've also seen two other policemen who have been fired for snap chatting racist pictures, and one for a Facebook post spewing hatred to black persons. It's scary that we have LE who think this way AND put it out in public forums for all to see. I just wish there was a weeding out process prior to getting a badge, but I guess no one would admit to being racist in an interview.

"She said Overland Park Police Chief Francis Donchez Jr. called her to apologize. Overland Park police wouldn't comment on the investigation details or whether anything might have prompted Rodney Lee Wilson's post, but FOX 4 did learn that Williams' profile picture was a person dressed in black holding a knife to a police officer's throat. Williams did confirm to FOX 4 that Facebook deleted her account."

http://fox4kc.com/2016/07/08/terrif...-targeted-her-with-threatening-facebook-post/

None of this is ok IMO on either side.

"She said Overland Park Police Chief Francis Donchez Jr. called her to apologize. Overland Park police wouldn't comment on the investigation details or whether anything might have prompted Rodney Lee Wilson's post, but FOX 4 did learn that Williams' profile picture was a person dressed in black holding a knife to a police officer's throat. Williams did confirm to FOX 4 that Facebook deleted her account."

I guess disgusting and horrific pictures like this are okay, though? I saw that picture on Twitter and it is deplorable!

Sorry but I would have probably said something much worse to this so called mother.

I guess disgusting and horrific pictures like this are okay, though? I saw that picture on Twitter and it is deplorable!

Sorry but I would have probably said something much worse to this so called mother.

I saw the picture too but no way would I have threatened an innocent child.

I have not seen Williams Profile picture or Facebook account. If it is as described in the Fox article IMO that just means both adults acted badly and neither of them are people I would want to know or associate with. The only innocent here is the child whose only "crime" was having her photograph placed on her mother's Facebook page.

Shame on the officer. Shame on the mother. JMO

I understand that officers are humans and therefore flawed just like any other, but as officers of the law I hold them to a higher standard of behavior, in life and on social media. I don't care what distasteful hateful stuff may have been on Williams Facebook page that officer was way out of line for that post and I am glad he has been fired.

Apparently facebook deleted the picture, according to the link that I posted.

The child is innocent. Plus as tlcya says, police officers should be and generally are upheld to a higher standard of behaviour, as they should be.

I completely understand the emotions of police officers in the wake of Dallas and of the last few years in general.

But to threaten a citizen? And especially a child? Unacceptable. Glad he's gone, and not a moment too soon.

I couldn't find a thread for this but I brought it here because of the facebook/officer topic. Maybe it needs it's own thread?

An off-duty St. Louis County police officer fatally shot a man as he was trying to enter the officer's home Saturday evening, police said.

Police said the off-duty officer, who was not identified, shot and killed 20-year-old Tyler Gebhard after he threw a 50-pound concrete planter through a window to enter the Lakeshire home, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported.

According to police, Gebhard was known to the family and had recently made online threats toward it and "uninvolved members of the community."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/07/1...nty-officer-kills-man-breaking-into-home.html

Seriously? What could be worse than a death threat to her daughter?

I agree with the comments posted about this matter both the police officer and this mothers conduct is abhorrent. The police officer should never have reacted at all to the profile picture this woman posted he is allowed to be angry and report it but is not ok to react the way he did and threaten the life of a child. He has ruined his life as he will find it difficult to get another job and probably has lost his pension too. What a stupid way to behave. This mother should not have posted a horrendous profile picture like she did it is very convenient she has left this fact out in her interviews because she knows it makes her look bad. Not that posting the photo justifies the officers behaviour. I hope the two of them reflect on their actions and change their ways. Incidents like this just worsen tensions.

Maybe having a mother who posts disgusting pictures like that? Perhaps children's services should be involved.

:cow:

You're right. The mother expressing her anger at police via her First Amendment right DOES warrant death threats to her child by a police officer and a call to child protective services. How dare she have an opinion or express emotions?

You're right. The mother expressing her anger at police via her First Amendment right DOES warrant death threats to her child by a police officer and a call to child protective services. How dare she have an opinion or express emotions?

Yep, pass your hate along to your child. With those thought patterns, from the "mother" and those who defend her, who can wonder we're in the mess we are?

That's horrendous I don't understand how people can post offensive material like that. Is it an act she can be prosecuted for in the state? Doing so might make tensions worse though in the community.

It's chilling and terrifying and offensive. I don't understand Facebook guidelines at all. No pictures of mother's breastfeeding but beheadings are just fine.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater
Back