Found Deceased IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #37

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone point me to a picture of where their bikes where found? I was in Evansdale the other day. I went by the bike path. If their bikes where found where I think they were then it all makes sense now. But I am not 100% sure where their bikes where found.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

There is a question of where the bikes were first seen and/or if they had been moved. The area was on the sidewalk side of the fence near or in front of the double gates which leads to the overflow/intake pipe which extends out into the lake. Since the girls' disappearance though, the vegetation has been cleared and the area and the island look different.

Most of the pictures have been saved in amandareckonwith's case archive. A link to this archive as well as other important links in this case can be found on the first post of each thread.

There is a question of where the bikes were first seen and/or if they had been moved. The area was on the sidewalk side of the fence near or in front of the double gates which leads to the overflow/intake pipe which extends out into the lake. Since the girls' disappearance though, the vegetation has been cleared and the area and the island look different.

Most of the pictures have been saved in amandareckonwith's case archive. A link to this archive as well as other important links in this case can be found on the first post of each thread.
Thank you.
Evansdale is much bigger then I had realized.

What are your thoughts on the recovery location, the familiarity of the perp with the grounds and the way the girls were positioned?

He is familiar with the location, whether it be a party place or a place his father took him hunting/fishing in his youth. He hadn't gone back there frequently, but now after the murders, he has likely returned a time or two. Most likely within the last year or two, as not to call attention to himself.

As far as the positioning of the girls, since we don't know the exact position of the bodies each, we can only assume one of many theories:
-He placed one girl, couldn't see where he put her and just happened to place the other further away
-Depending on the state of decomposition and when they were placed, the body could have been moved by an animal
-As he finished placing one, he heard a vehicle/person, was spooked and 'tossed' one from where he stood
-The girls were both alive when they arrived at Seven Bridges, he killed one, the other ran and he caught up to her where she was found

Not knowing X amount of other details, I couldn't tell you for sure which theory could be close to correct or if any of them are. I do however commend LE for keeping so close to the breast on the details of the recovery. It will help ensure that if someone slips up, they have a significant amount of information that can nail their coffin shut.

Do you think the offender immersed himself in the search or investigation at all?

Yes. Most likely he was there at the vigils, perhaps even gave Heather, Drew, Misty or Dan a hug or kind words, visits the Angel's Park and closely follows the case. BUT! he is sure not to let on to anyone else just how closely he follows it. He doesn't "care" or feel anything toward what he did, but he is paranoid of being caught, so he may put on the facade of sadness, but is really basking in his 'accomplishment'. He delights in the fact that he can attend these vigils, memorial rides and such, and no one knows the truth. It's a thrill, a push of endorphins, a high, for him. That he knows something no one else does.

I think your theory about the perp is solid. I have always thought he kept them alive for several days and then had to dispose of them. If he lives at home with mom and dad, he may have taken them while his parents were out of town, kept them captive and then only killed them when his parents were coming back.

I may be wrong but I have always felt that LE referring to Lyric & Elizabeth's "bodies" being found rather than "remains" being found meant they had not severely decomposed. If they'd been in the woods since the middle of July, they'd have been nothing but bones, which I consider "remains", but an intact corpse is still a "body". It may be a stretch but that's just my opinion on it.

One thing is for certain - that town is full of some very strange people, it's almost like a collection of Stephen King characters in a little Iowa town.

I think your theory about the perp is solid. I have always thought he kept them alive for several days and then had to dispose of them. If he lives at home with mom and dad, he may have taken them while his parents were out of town, kept them captive and then only killed them when his parents were coming back.

I may be wrong but I have always felt that LE referring to Lyric & Elizabeth's "bodies" being found rather than "remains" being found meant they had not severely decomposed. If they'd been in the woods since the middle of July, they'd have been nothing but bones, which I consider "remains", but an intact corpse is still a "body". It may be a stretch but that's just my opinion on it.

One thing is for certain - that town is full of some very strange people, it's almost like a collection of Stephen King characters in a little Iowa town.

I completely agree. I honestly don't think he killed them immediately. I think he took them out of town to a place he knows about. Parents home, abandoned farmstead...etc (I strongly believe he lives in Evansdale). I too picked apart the verbiage that LE used to describe what was found at Seven Bridges. Perhaps it meant something...Perhaps it didn't. I could easily be reading too much into their use of words.

Yes, Evansdale/Waterloo is full of interesting and shuddering characters. Having lived here 10 years (lived close by prior to that) and working with the general public on a daily basis, there are a lot of very strange people in these parts. Working where I do I constantly wonder if the person in front of me knows what happened, but because this area tends to hold to the phrase "Snitches get stitches and end up in ditches", I'm afraid that even if someone does know, they won't speak up.

Just don't confuse Evansdale with Waterloo.
That'd be pretty hard to do. Lol I actually thought it was further from Waterloo then it was also.

Earlier in theses threads, there was much discussion about search dogs, here is a new, lengthy article about cadaver dogs, fwiw.

grief-and-breeze.JPG
Grief (L) and Breeze (R) in the back of Kim Cooper's pickup truck.​ (David Ridgen/CBC)
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/cadaver-dogs-science-training-1.3654993

https://www.facebook.com/radiocbc/videos/vb.48363581912/10154080597536913/?type=2&theater

What the dog smelled: The science and mystery of cadaver dogs
Scientists still can't fully explain why some dogs are so effective at finding human remains

By Chris Oke, CBC News Posted: Jul 23, 2016

Not only can these dogs detect the scent of human remains under 30 metres of water, some can also detect traces as small as a shard of bone or drop of blood. They can also tell the difference between, say, a dead raccoon and a dead hiker.

And yet scientists still aren't 100 per cent sure how they do it and the training community is still figuring out how to train them most effectively.
'Body Farm'

"Most think an odour is just made of one chemical, when in reality it is made up of dozens or hundreds of chemicals," said Arpad Vass, a research scientist at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee.

Vass is a leading expert on decomposition odour analysis, and conducts his studies at the University of Tennessee's "Body Farm" — a research facility where human bodies are allowed to decompose in a variety of settings.
Breed isn't overly important. The dogs just need to be very energetic and very motivated to work for a reward. However, typical cadaver dog breeds are German shepherds, Malinois and Labrador retrievers.

Only fifteen dogs have qualified to work with the Ottawa Valley Search and Rescue Dog Association in the past 25 years.

Kim Cooper has personally trained five of them.

The most important part of the training is to expose the dogs to as many human remains as possible.

Cooper said human bones can be ordered off the internet from companies with names like Skulls Unlimited and The Bone Room. She occasionally gets access to the surface, be it a piece of carpet or some dirt, for example, on which a body was found.

But the most common training aid is placenta, donated by new moms.

The smell of decomposing pigs was least similar to that of humans, which is a problem for cadaver dog trainers in the U.K., where it's illegal to possess human remains.

They'd been using pigs as training aids for years. But as Cablk points out, "If you have a dog trained on pigs, then you have a dog trained to find dead pigs."

Have the FBI generated a profile of a potential POI yet. It probably has been generated and I just lost perspective in this case and many others that are sleuthed here.. Most of the cases I follow I do not necessarily check every day for NEW info but I will check every so often to see If anything is happening with the case. Not that this has anything to do with this case but I was so glad that a POI and then a final arrest of Wendell Noyes for the murder of celina cass. But nothing really shook out about this case until that profile was given and subsequent arrest. Though I think the Le community in west stewarton always had Noyes on the back burner. With Elizabeth and Lyric's death at least what has been shared so far is that their killer was not a family member but a stranger to them.

Have the FBI generated a profile of a potential POI yet. It probably has been generated and I just lost perspective in this case and many others that are sleuthed here.. Most of the cases I follow I do not necessarily check every day for NEW info but I will check every so often to see If anything is happening with the case. Not that this has anything to do with this case but I was so glad that a POI and then a final arrest of Wendell Noyes for the murder of celina cass. But nothing really shook out about this case until that profile was given and subsequent arrest. Though I think the Le community in west stewarton always had Noyes on the back burner. With Elizabeth and Lyric's death at least what has been shared so far is that their killer was not a family member but a stranger to them.

http://whotv.com/2014/08/22/investigators-release-suspect-profile-in-murder-of-evansdale-cousins/
According to the website, the offender is familiar with both Meyers Lake/Angels Park in Evansdale and Seven Bridges Wildlife Area in Bremer County. The suspect chose Seven Bridges because he or she was familiar with the area and knew it was secluded, the site said.

“The offender blends in with and may be part of the Evansdale, Bremer and surrounding communities. It is unlikely that the offender is a transient or someone who was merely traveling or ‘passing through’ the area,” according to the site. The suspect likely used “quiet coercion” to gain the girls’ compliance into leaving Meyers Lake, using a ruse or threats of violence.

According to the website, other characteristics include:

The suspect may have been experiencing stress related to legal troubles, spousal problems, employment difficulties, financial strain or mental health issues in July 2012.
The suspect may avoid discussing the case or showing interest in the matter but is likely following developments in the media.
The offender may have attempted to abduct children or adults in the past.
Following the disappearance, the suspect may have altered his or her physical appearance, such as changing hair style and facial hair. The offender’s vehicle may also have been altered with a new paint job or re-upholstery.

“The offender blends in with and may be part of the Evansdale, Bremer and surrounding communities. It is unlikely that the offender is a transient or someone who was merely traveling or ‘passing through’ the area,” according to the site. The suspect likely used “quiet coercion” to gain the girls’ compliance into leaving Meyers Lake, using a ruse or threats of violence.

I think there's a possibility that James Worten killed Elizabeth and Lyric. He's the guy who's been arrested for the murder of Sierah Joughin in Fulton County, OH. It's about an 8 hour drive. I know the suspect profile says they don't think it was a person just passing through, but I still think he should be looked at carefully as a suspect.

He fits MY profile pretty well, shouldn't that count?! Lol.

31 July 2016

Elizabeth Collins would have celebrated her 13th birthday today
Elizabeth Collins would have celebrated her 13th birthday today.

(...)

Police are interested in anything people have to say about the case. When stepping into the Evansdale Police station, it's clear these two girls are on the officers' minds every day. There's pictures and information about the girls hanging on the walls and in frames on desks.

This just came across the news...

http://www.kcrg.com/content/news/Po...mpted-abduction-in-Cedar-Falls-389081311.html

SBM

Police said three children were playing at the park about 3:30 p.m. on Tuesday when a man in a silver four door vehicle pulled up to the park. The driver offered the children money to get into his vehicle. The children refused and he drove away.

The driver was described as being in his mid-30's with short dark hair.

FYI...20 minute drive from Clay Street Park in CF to Meyers Lake in Evansdale. If you take Highway 218 it would also take you right past George Wyth where Lyric was known to frequent with her mom. Not to mention this guy tried to get 3 kids into the car at once.

This just came across the news...

http://www.kcrg.com/content/news/Po...mpted-abduction-in-Cedar-Falls-389081311.html

SBM

Police said three children were playing at the park about 3:30 p.m. on Tuesday when a man in a silver four door vehicle pulled up to the park. The driver offered the children money to get into his vehicle. The children refused and he drove away.

The driver was described as being in his mid-30's with short dark hair.

FYI...20 minute drive from Clay Street Park in CF to Meyers Lake in Evansdale. If you take Highway 218 it would also take you right past George Wyth where Lyric was known to frequent with her mom. Not to mention this guy tried to get 3 kids into the car at once.

Finally, an update of sorts!
Don't know if there is a connection but Evansdale is like a hub with Dike to the west, Waterloo and Cedar Falls to the north, and Seven Bridges to the northeast.

Cedar Falls and Grundy County authorities are investigating a possible connection between a series of reported child abduction attempts in Cedar Falls and the Dike area.

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/cr...cle_aebabca6-c66d-54cb-84a4-be9647d4d250.html

Oh my gosh, how terrifying. Breaks my heart that we live in such a crazy world.

Summer is for kids, not for selfish perverts who ruin it for them.
Hope they catch the person who is trying to entice/ grab these children, and i hope they resist arrest...
imo.

I just watched the documentary called "Who Took Johnny" on Netflix about the disappearance of Johnny Gosch. Within the first 5 minutes Heather and Drew Collins are in it, speaking with Gosch's mother. As soon as I saw their faces I recognized them. They are also in the documentary a few other times. Their appearances in the film were recorded after the girls' disappearance and before they were found. It was stated during the film that the girls were ultimately found. A simple bump for these girls! I really hope this case gets solved.

I have just read that the remains of little Jacob Wetterling have been found after 27 years. My heart aches for his mom Patty, who never gave up hope that he was alive somewhere. It made me think about Elizabeth and Lyric. I am grateful that at least their families know where their girls are. Now if we could only learn what happened to them and who did it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee