Worldwide system failure ----Delta Air Lines

CARIIS

Former Member
Reaction score
[h=1]WORLDWIDE FLIGHT CHAOS Tens of thousands of Delta passengers stranded around the world after huge computer failure forces ALL planes to be grounded[/h][FONT=&amp]since 3:20 AM EDT[/FONT]

According to Twitter accounts, passengers are stuck at Heathrow Airport in London, Málaga Airport in Spain, Keflavík International Airport in Reykjavík, Iceland, Amsterdam Schiphol Airport and Rome Ciampino Airport.

[FONT=&amp]elays have also been reported at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport San Francisco International Airport, Sarasota-Bradenton International Airport in Florida and NYC LaGuardia Airport.[/FONT]
View image on Twitter
'Delta experienced a computer outage that has impacted flights scheduled for this morning. Flights awaiting departure are currently delayed. Flights enroute are operating normally. Delta is advising travelers to check the status of their flights this morning while the issue is being addressed.'
https://www.rt.com/news/355030-delta-system-down-planes/
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/15712...ompanys-computers-systems-go-down-everywhere/[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

Fox
U[FONT=&amp]nspecified issues with its computer systems globally.
Hack anyone??
[/FONT][FONT=&amp]airline declined to immediately comment[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Stephen Smith, 32, of Baton Rouge, Louisiana. He has been stuck on the ground for about three hours at Tokyo's Narita Airport on a flight that was supposed to go to Shanghai.
[/FONT][FONT=&quot] on the plane
FOX[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Ugg...I used to work for an airport's major car rental company and when an airline system like this had a major outage it trickled down to the car rental companies, taxi cab drivers and local hotels. Lines and lines of passengers become unglued and belligerent, demanding rental cars to drive to their destination regardless of what the local rental car supply is. Glad I'm not at an airport today......it's going to be ugly and require infinite patience by all involved.

Ugg...I used to work for a major car rental company and when an airline system like this had a major outage it trickled down to the car rental companies, taxi cab drivers and local hotels. Lines and lines of passengers become unglued and belligerent, demanding rental cars to drive to their destination regardless of what the local rental car supply is. Glad I'm not at an airport today......it's going to be ugly.

Hi Blondie!!

i cant imagine, really bad part in the big scene shows how completly useless entire systems are without computers. Use your imagination....not a pretty thought!!

[FONT=&amp]This could turn into a real mess if this applies:

[/FONT]The new rule prohibits U.S. airlines operating domestic flights from permitting an aircraft to remain on the tarmac for more than three hours without deplaning passengers, with exceptions allowed only for safety or security or if air traffic control advises the pilot in command that returning to the terminal would disrupt airport operations. U.S. carriers operating international flights departing from or arriving in the United States must specify, in advance, their own time limits for deplaning passengers, with the same exceptions

https://www.transportation.gov/briefing-room/new-dot-consumer-rule-limits-airline-tarmac-delays-provides-other-passenger
[FONT=&amp]Southwest Airlines was forced to cancel more than 2,000 flights across the U.S. last month [/FONT]

[h=2]The No. 2 U.S. carrier by traffic[/h]
[FONT=&quot] passengers unable to check in and grounding departures globally.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] they can have knock-on effects that last long after technical issues are resolved.[/FONT]

British Airways has been phasing in a new at-gate check-in system, at times snarling the processing of passengers. United
Continental
Holdings Inc. suffered repeated computer problems after United and Continental merged. Last month Southwest Airlines Co., the No. 4 U.S. airline by traffic, also suffered a tech outage grounding some flights.[FONT=&quot]http://www.wsj.com/articles/delta-air-lines-says-computers-down-everywhere-1470647527[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Write to Robert Wall at robert.wall@wsj.com[/FONT]

Aug 8 2016, 6:57 am ET

Delta Computer Failure Grounds Flights Worldwide After Power Outage

by Alastair Jamieson, Shamar Walters and Kurt Chirbas

Tens of thousands of Delta passengers around the world were grounded indefinitely Monday after a power outage at its Atlanta headquarters caused a global system-wide computer failure.

Check-in systems, airport screens and even the airline's website and smartphone apps are affected by the problem, which began at 2:38 a.m. ET.

The airline has suspended departures until the problem can be fixed, while airport agents are writing out boarding passes by hand.

"Our systems are down everywhere," the airline told customers on Twitter...

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/travel/delta-system-outage-triggers-delays-worldwide-n625141

Speaking to CP24 Monday morning, one couple said it appears the delays could cause them to miss a very special occasion in San Francisco this afternoon.

"We were supposed to get married at city hall in San Francisco at 3 p.m. but it’s not looking like we are going to make it," Alaina Whitaker said.

"I just feel bad. We have family and friends that are coming to San Francisco so obviously that’s changed."

Whitaker and her fiancée Perry Higgins said they looked into travelling with another airline but had no luck finding an available flight.

"Everyone is in the same boat right now," Whitaker said.

"There is nothing we can really do now other than think it’s going to be a story to tell at some point."
http://www.cp24.com/news/lineups-co...irport-after-delta-flights-grounded-1.3019260

What a nightmare. Do they pay for missed connecting flights? I had insurance with Allegiant air. Since I did not tell them within 24 hours that another airline I was on had problems, the insurance was no good. Cute. I had no idea when my broken airplane was going to fly.

So always tell the airline right away if if you have no clue when you are flying. Who knows what other things are in those insurance plans to make it so they don't pay. Allegiant was not partners with anyone. The other airline said their only duty was to get me to the city I was going to. They did, but a couple days later.

Hi Human Dotr

Ground stop lifted (means nothing!) oh good now we can go!

Hardly-

We have 426 airplanes waiting to move, 215 needing a gate ,478 looking for baggage handler, 232 that need reboarding, 69 who need to top off their tanks, baggage that is gonna be all over the place, 1200 connections missed, 21,000, to start checking in( with their, a massive surge at all TSA stops which are mess even witout a tidal wave of pissed off folks) , 421 gate changes, air traffic controllers that need to be rested cause of the confusion, some recatering on 51 flights, 78 aircraft now behind on maintneance, gate agent personal changes, landing/gate holds on the other end,

This is only in Atlanta!! Repeat worldwide! At the end of the day the only way to "restart" is a cancel a bunch of flights and reboot

I think that annoucmenets like that end up making people more pissed. They hear good we are going - nothing could be further from the truth. It is a big machine that has start up again .I think they should tell me people we are getting our systems back up, however please be aware that we are going to be experincing many delays in getting fully operationial again, please be patient, thank you for choosing Delta!

[h=1]Delta Warns of Chaos After Power Outage[/h]
[FONT=&quot]UPDATE 10:20a ET [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Delta flights are now departing worldwide at a rate of multiple flights per minute and over 275 flights in the air currently. There is still a backlog of hundreds of flights and passengers will continue to experience mass delays and cancellations, but operations are now on track for a recovery.

[/FONT]
Delta offering waiver through Aug. 12 for customers whose flights are canceled or significantly delayed on Aug. 8

expects large-scale flight cancellations on Monday

US airline giant Delta has blamed a power cut for its decision to suspend flights worldwide and leave hundreds of passengers stranded around the world.

A company statement said the outage caused its computer systems to crash.
power outage in Atlanta that impacted Delta computer systems," the company tweeted.

Delta ranks third in the world in terms of most passengers carried, according to industry body the IATA.

The overnight power failure took place in Atlanta, near Delta's headquarters, the company said.

"
"Check-in is currently operating using a back-up system and airport staff are on hand to assist any passengers that are impacted by the delays."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37007908
I

Hi Blondie!!

i cant imagine, really bad part in the big scene shows how completly useless entire systems are without computers. Use your imagination....not a pretty thought!!
rbbm.
O/t ,Hi CARIIS, Using my imagination, the title of this thread would make a good name for a band or a group of anarchists!..

" Worldwide System Failure " featuring the "songs", Grounded and Check the Status.
imo.

Thats a hoot !!

Humm some airline jingles might be a hoot:

Delta "We Love To Fly and It Shows"

[video=youtube;EJIIZI7wFZo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJIIZI7wFZo[/video]

Delta " Delta is Ready When You Are"

[video=youtube;mWi8n5KWsHM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWi8n5KWsHM[/video]

American : "The On Time Machine"
[video=youtube;5B6QYtXLR34]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B6QYtXLR34[/video]

[h=2]The Wall Street Journal reports that Delta's system-wide outage was tied to an airline 'switch gear' failure and not a utility company. Georgia Power, the paper reported, said that there were no power outages in its territory last night or today and that all of its equipment is functioning normally. -
[/h]

US airline giant Delta has blamed a power cut for its decision to suspend flights worldwide and leave hundreds of passengers stranded around the world.

A company statement said the outage caused its computer systems to crash.
power outage in Atlanta that impacted Delta computer systems," the company tweeted.

Delta ranks third in the world in terms of most passengers carried, according to industry body the IATA.

The overnight power failure took place in Atlanta, near Delta's headquarters, the company said.

"
"Check-in is currently operating using a back-up system and airport staff are on hand to assist any passengers that are impacted by the delays."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37007908
I

Im surprised they did not have a battery backup system with a generator backup system that would at least provide some constant running of their main system for a little while. Some of the larger systems have huge diesel generators that are supposed to kick in and provide constant power at least for a little while.

Maybe they did and maybe the power outage went past the time limits those backup systems can provide. The backup systems are usually not meant for long running times.

The way this outage was described it did not sound like they had a backup power source.

Im surprised they did not have a battery backup system with a generator backup system that would at least provide some constant running of their main system for a little while. Some of the larger systems have huge diesel generators that are supposed to kick in and provide constant power at least for a little while.

Maybe they did and maybe the power outage went past the time limits those backup systems can provide. The backup systems are usually not meant for long running times.

The way this outage was described it did not sound like they had a backup power source.

Hi Hat

switchgear, which helps control and switch power flows like a circuit breaker in a home, malfunctioned for reasons that were not immediately clear....

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-delta-air-outages-idUSKCN10J0VP

big computer systems that get airplanes, passengers and baggage to their destinations every day are having a bad summer.

Delta Air Lines experienced the latest debacle on Monday,

Southwest Airlines three weeks earlier, when a single notebook-size router failed at a data center in Dallas, .......2,300 canceled flights over four days. The failure itself lasted only an hour, but it took 13 hours to reboot the carrier’s computer systems.

Both episodes left thousands of passengers ..... a better question might be why it doesn’t happen more often.

“These systems are so complex, it’s surprising we haven’t had more major failures,” former chief architect at Sabre, the world’s largest computer reservations system.
Last year, malfunctions in United Airlines’ computer systems grounded hundreds of flights, .............. American Airlines experienced delays after a bug in its iPad software meant that pilots did not have accurate airport maps.

In Southwest’s case, a backup system was in place, .......... And Delta said on Monday that it was investigating why some of its own critical operations had not switched over to backup systems.
Continue reading the main story
ADVERTISEMENT

Southwest has said its malfunction on July 20 will cost the company tens of millions of dollars.

each minute its system processed 164,000 requests and approximately $250,000 worth of travel spending.

it said it would provide $200 in travel vouchers to customers who were delayed more than three hours or whose flight was canceled. (That is the law now-posted earlier.)

Delta Air Lines passengers waited in line at a ticket counter in Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey on Monday.

CreditSeth Wenig/Associated Press
Delta was scheduled to operate roughly 6,000 departures on Monday, and by the early evening, about 3,340 of those flights had departed. “

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/09/business/delta-air-lines-delays-computer-failure.html?_r=0

ADVERTISEMENT

[FONT=&quot] antiquated technology that has plagued many airlines.

[FONT=&quot]raises questions about whether a recent wave of four U.S. airline mergers that created four large carriers controlling 85% of domestic capacity has built companies too large and too reliant on IT systems that date from the 1990s.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]there are about 3,600 social conversations involving Delta on [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]Twitter[FONT=&quot],[/FONT][FONT=&quot] according to social media analytics firm Networked Insights. On Monday morning, there were 43,000.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]gates aren’t available for arriving flights. Further delays arise because planes and crews are out of position to follow the published schedule. It can take days for a carrier to recover and get all of its passengers to their destinations.

[/FONT]
http://www.wsj.com/articles/delta-air-lines-says-computers-down-everywhere-1470647527​
[/FONT]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back