MA - Vanessa Marcotte, 27, murdered, Princeton, 7 Aug 2016 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Vanessa Marcotte, 27, was last seen Sunday afternoon while visiting family in Princeton, Mass., police said. Around 1 p.m., she went for a jog — and vanished. Officers found her body in the woods that night about a half mile from her mother’s home."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...c-google-employee-dead-mass-article-1.2742909

Vanessa lived and worked in NYC. From the link above:

"Marcotte worked as a healthcare account manager for Google in New York City, according to her LinkedIn page."

Press conference. LE is seeking public assistance/tips. They do think it's a homicide but do not know if it was random.

[video=youtube;2D3fmpBEAfU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D3fmpBEAfU&ab_channel=MassLive[/video]

Beautiful girl...First homicide in this town in 30 years ? According to the news reports,she moved to NYC in 2015, to work for google. I could only find an address in Princeton MA for her, so do not know where she lived in NYC. News report also states she may have been raped and set on fire . OMG, what an awful occurrence. She was an avid runner, and looked to be very fit. So sad...jmo

Beautiful girl...First homicide in this town in 30 years ? According to the news reports,she moved to NYC in 2015, to work for google. I could only find an address in Princeton MA for her, so do not know where she lived in NYC. News report also states she may have been raped and set on fire . OMG, what an awful occurrence. She was an avid runner, and looked to be very fit. So sad...jmo

Hi Liz B.

Do you have a link? I haven't see the fire reference yet. (I have been braced for something bad as LE said it was clear it was homicide.)

RIP Vanessa.

EDITED TO ADD: Found a link regarding the fire speculation http://www.fox25boston.com/news/state-police-searching-for-missing-jogger-in-princeton-/419252854

You know, this is very disturbing given the recent rape and murder of another female jogger in daylight.

I was a competitive runner for over a decade and still log a fair number of miles. Although cases of lone joggers being attacked weren't totally unheard of, they were very rare and murders were rarer still. The running world subculture is very closely knit and word travels fast regardless of what type of attack occurred and in what city. It's very unsettling that these two episodes happened so recently to each other. There's thousands upon thousands of runners who train alone (or else they'd be unable to train at all or in a very limited way) and most of us have never had a reason to fear for our safety. Honestly, the biggest threats to runners are cars and the occasional vicious dog. It's probably far more likely that a runner who is afraid to venture out alone on the streets has a much higher chance of dying in an auto accident on the way to or from a gym.

It could be a coincidence that there are two different random predators who struck in broad daylight (and probably is, given the distance between the two murders) but it does seem odd that both women were from NYC and had active social media accounts. :(

You know, this is very disturbing given the recent rape and murder of another female jogger in daylight.

I was a competitive runner for over a decade and still log a fair number of miles. Although cases of lone joggers being attacked weren't totally unheard of, they were very rare and murders were rarer still. The running world subculture is very closely knit and word travels fast regardless of what type of attack occurred and in what city. It's very unsettling that these two episodes happened so recently to each other. There's thousands upon thousands of runners who train alone (or else they'd be unable to train at all or in a very limited way) and most of us have never had a reason to fear for our safety. Honestly, the biggest threats to runners are cars and the occasional vicious dog. It's probably far more likely that a runner who is afraid to venture out alone on the streets has a much higher chance of dying in an auto accident on the way to or from a gym.

It could be a coincidence that there are two different random predators who struck in broad daylight (and probably is, given the distance between the two murders) but it does seem odd that both women were from NYC and had active social media accounts. :(

I agree, it is disturbing! And, both went running from their parents' homes in neighborhoods were they felt, literally, at home. :(

jmo

Would the fire be an attempt to conceal Dna evidence, her body, or her identity. If it's to destroy dna, I wonder if the perpetrator is in he system and knows he would be linked. Im not sure how many random rape/murder victims are attempted to be burned. I would imagine the criminal would want to get out of there asap, but a criminal isn't thinking clearly anyway.
I think it's most likely a repeat offender.

Would the fire be an attempt to conceal Dna evidence, her body, or her identity. If it's to destroy dna, I wonder if the perpetrator is in he system and knows he would be linked. Im not sure how many random rape/murder victims are attempted to be burned. I would imagine the criminal would want to get out of there asap, but a criminal isn't thinking clearly anyway.
I think it's most likely a repeat offender.

I would think the burns were to conceal her identity. Really sick thought process this perp has.

I agree that it would take time when you'd think the perp would want to flee quickly. Looking at some of the photos and news coverage, it seems like she was found in a very densely wooded area. Was the perp confident of being out of sight in that dense cover?? Or was she moved from elsewhere? We don't know yet.

So sad...my heart goes out to her family.

jmopinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member