Switzerland - Attack on train passengers 13 August 2016

gregjrichards

Reaction score
Breaking News

Swiss train passengers have reported been attacked by a man with 'fire and a knife' sparking fears of new terror attack.

At least seven passengers were left seriously injured by the man who is believed to be 27-years-old.

Details surrounding the incident took place are currently unclear, but it comes after Europe has been rocked by a series of terrorist attacks over the past 12 months.

France, Germany and Belgium have all been targeted, and other European nations have been bracing for assaults on their soil.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/terror-swiss-train-passengers-attacked-8624527

Latest Update

The man set the train carriage on fire using a flammable liquid and also stabbed passengers, including a six-year-old child, police said.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sengers-fire-knife-rampage.html#ixzz4HEPx5JJv

Train-main.jpg

Unfortunately it is looking like a terror incident by a lone man.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37072847
_90777167_swisssalez0816.png

The suspected attacker, described as a Swiss man aged 27, was also taken to hospital after the incident near Salez in St Gallen Canton.
The attack occurred around 14:20 (12:20 GMT) as the train was approaching Salez station, between the towns of Buchs and Sennwald.

Several dozen passengers were on board at the time of the attack.

Apart from the child, a girl and a boy, both 17, two women aged 34 and 43, and a man aged 50 were hurt.

Some of the injured are said to be in a serious condition.

Have there been any attacks like this in Switzerland before? I cant think of any.

Swiss police do not exclude the possibility of a crime of passion as the motive for the attack, a police spokesman told welt.de.

The spokesman said authorities did not yet know the motive behind the attack, but did not think terrorism was likely. "A terrorism background still seems very, very far-fetched," the spokesman said.
read more: http://www.haaretz.com/world-news/europe/1.736727

ATTACKER DOUSED A WOMAN WITH METHYLATED SPIRIT AND SET FIRE

BLICK.ch
http://www.blick.ch/news/schweiz/dr...au-mit-brennbarer-fluessigkeit-id5375522.html

The incident occurred shortly after 14h between Buchs and Altstätten. In an attack on a train Südostbahn a 27-year-old Swiss injured himself and six others, some of them seriously. The cantonal police confirmed to BLICK that several victims are in critical condition.

According to Bruno Metzger, the police spokesman on the spot, the perpetrator doused a woman on the train with methylated spirits and put a fire to the liquid. He also injured other passengers with a knife.

BBM

One would expect this in India of Bangladesh, not on a train in Switzerland on its way to Liechenstein.

Swiss police do not exclude the possibility of a crime of passion as the motive for the attack, a police spokesman told welt.de.
read more: http://www.haaretz.com/world-news/europe/1.736727

BBM

I am sure the woman was passionate about being set afire..... NOT!
Why can't they stop calling an attempted murder a 'crime of passion'??
And why stab the other passengers AND a child of six years?

"THE ATTACKER WAS IN FLAMES WHEN WE OVERPOWERED HIM"

WATSON.ch
http://www.watson.ch/!976099544?utm..._rainbowunicorn=0&utm_campaign=share-tracking

Mr. Krüsi, can you already say something about the motive for the deed in Salez, St. Gallen?
Hanspeter Krüsi: No, impossible. All have been injured. The offender injured himself seriously, a victim also very seriously. We currently have nothing. There is no evidence in either direction.

Can you rule out a terrorist background?
As I said, we do not have anything. There is no claim of responsibility, nothing. This event has appeared out of nothing.

Is the seriously injured victim the child? No.

Does police know more about the perpetrator?
Again, we are at the very beginning. He is a 27-year-old Swiss with a typical Swiss name. We must now retrace everything. This may take several days. Just one example: if find out we that among the victims was his ex-girlfriend, reality looks quite different, from what many my think now.

How did the police overpower the man?
The train driver has responded very well. He could even steer the train into the station, which made the work easier for firefighters and for us. A passenger grabbed the the accused ans pulled him out of the train. The accused was on fire. When we arrested him, he could no longer defend himselfs. He was burning heavily.

Did he douse himself with the liquid?

We do not know that, yet.

What type of liquid was it?
We are busy in to find out.

Was the train burning too?
It has black marks everywhere, it was not in full fire.

BBM

RESCUERS FOUGHT LONG FOR THE WOMAN'S LIFE

Tagesanzeiger.ch
http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/panorama/Retter-kaempften-um-das-Leben-einer-Frau/story/26090511

The village of Salez in SG is in shock. In the afternoon, a man attacked several passengers on a train. A villager was among the first at the station when the train of the Südostbahn arrived. "From the doors came there a lot of smoke," the witness describes. Some people were already outside and gasped for air. Others were accompanied out of the train by firefighters with breathing masks.

The villager asked what happened. "I've heard that a man poured inflammable liquid over a woman and then stabbed her," he tells. Then the man allegedly attacked even more people. "I saw three helicopters and several ambulances transporting the injured."

What is particularly affecting the readers: Also among the injured is a child.
"The girl's backpack was lying on the floor in the front of the train."
The condition of one person, he estimates to be very critical. Apparently rescuers fought long for the woman's life. "It was only after about an hour that she was apparently transportable and could be airlifted to the hospital."

The attack took place shortly before the Salez Station. "Fortunately, the train could stop shortly after the attack. Otherwise the outcome would surely have been even worse."

BBM

The motive is still unclear.
It is still unknown why the knifeman boarded the train and if knew any of his victims.
The Swiss Federal Department of Justice and Police (FDJP) is involved, a clear sign that a terror-related attack is one of the options.
The Federal Department of Justice and Police (FDJP) deals with issues such as asylum, crime and internal security.

SEARCH AT HOME OF KNIFE MAN

Tagblatt.ch
http://www.tagblatt.ch/nachrichten/polizeinews/Taeter-und-ein-Opfer-in-Lebensgefahr;art675,4717335

The attacker carried at least one knife and inflicted stab wounds and cuts on some victims. He also suffered cuts himself. "We do not know if he has inflicted these deliberately," Krüsi commented on the emerging rumors that the perpetrator had wanted to commit suicide.

The police do not want to comment on a possible crime of passion or a terrorist background. "The motive we will only hear from the perpetrator," says Krüsi. Already on Saturday night a search was carried out at the home of the knifeman. So far, no claim of responsibility, no suicide note, no announcement of the act has been found. "Maybe we'll find something, we are working on it with a large police contingent," Krüsi says. About the attacker, he only says: "The 27-year-old is Swiss, does not come from St.Gallen and lives in a neighboring canton."

All of the victims are from Rheintal, a district of Sankt Gallen.

BBM

Tagesanzeiger.ch
http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/panorama/das-6jaehrige-kind-ist-nicht-in-lebensgefahr/story/19840362

In the light of the train attack in Würzburg many immediately think that this is a terrorist attack. Do you know anything about the motives of the perpetrator?

[ Hanspeter Krüsi ] Two years ago nobody would have thought of terror. Today, after the events of recent months, it is understandable. We do not exclude it either. However, there is no evidence of a terrorist background. There is also no evidence of a politically motivated act or of a relationship offense. About the motive of the perpetrator nothing is currently known.

BBM

SALEZ: FURTHER INFORMATION ON THE INCIDENT ON THE TRAIN IN SALEZ - CALL FOR WITNESSES

Kanton Sankt Gallen, press release
http://www.kapo.sg.ch/news/kapo/201...rmation-zum-zwischenfall-im-zug-in-salez.html

On Saturday (08.13.2016), after 14:15 hrs, it is on the train route between Buchs and Sennwald, an incident happened shortly before Salez Station. Seven people were injured, some seriously. The cantonal police of St.Gallen reported this. To dispel rumors, we summarize the events (as of Sunday morning) and the repeatedly asked questions.

There are still five people in the hospital. According to doctors, the injuries of the alleged offender, the 34-year and 17-year-old woman, and meanwhile also of the 6-year-old child, are considered serious.

The alleged 27-year-old defendant lives in a neighboring canton of St.Gallen. His home was searched. The results are part of the criminal proceedings and therefore not public. The motive is still unclear. No motive can be identified at the moment. Therefore, investigations go in all directions. The man is not listed as a criminal with the cantonal police St.Gallen nor in his home canton. In Swiss Criminal Register no record of him exists.

The act was taped on video in the train. On this video it can be seen how the accused, armed with a knife, was pouring a flammable liquid. Because the liquid took fire and because of the knife, five passengers and the accused himself were injured. A helper who was on the platform, was injured when he tore the burning perpetrator out of the train. Because of the video footage on the train, we believe for the moment that there was a single perpetrator. The detailed processes indeed are the subject of ongoing investigations, respectively of the "perpetrators knowledge". In order not to jeopardize the ongoing criminal case, this can not be communicated.

The liquid, which was used as an fire accelerator is being analyzed by the Department of Forensic Chemistry and Technology of the police of the Canton of St.Gallen. Forensics on the train has been carried out by forensic service of the cantonal police St.Gallen. The involved part of the train has been secured by the Prosecutor St.Gallen.

The affected train tracks are in normal use since Saturday evening, 2100 AM.

BBM

So everything seems to be unclear, except that it happened. Police appear even cautious about there being a sole perpetrator, and the inflammable liquid is a mystery. I read in other press reports that it is not clear if the perp put fire to the liquid or if it caught fire by itself. Has someone been doodling with a chemistry set, or did he buy it on the darknet?

PS I propose that this thread be moved to Rampage Killing & Terrorist Attacks ~ IMHO it is a lucky coincidence that all victims are still alive.

SRF.ch
http://www.srf.ch/news/schweiz/attacke-im-zug-34-jaehrige-erliegt-ihren-verletzungen

A 34 year old woman has succumbed to her injuries in hospital

BBM

:rose:

The lady aged 34 has sadly died of her injuries and the 27 year old male attacker has also died of his injuries.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-five-including-girl-six-remain-hospital.html *apologies cut and paste not working great on my mobile today.

Thanks ZaZara and everyone for your news posts about yet another senseless tragedy. I wonder if we will ever know his motives perhaps he was mentally ill.

The lady aged 34 has sadly died of her injuries and the 27 year old male attacker has also died of his injuries.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-five-including-girl-six-remain-hospital.html *apologies cut and paste not working great on my mobile today.

Thanks ZaZara and everyone for your news posts about yet another senseless tragedy. I wonder if we will ever know his motives perhaps he was mentally ill.

Mentally ill can mean anything nowadays .... from smoking a joint to borderline psychotic.
IMHO taking recent events into consideration, this is beginning to look like the München attack too:

Daily Mail:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-five-including-girl-six-remain-hospital.html
The woman who died had received a large portion of the flammable liquid over her, leading to speculation she might have been the main target of the attack.

But police spokesman Bruno Metzger said he could not confirm that, and another police spokesman Hanspeter Kruesi told AFP late Saturday it did not appear that the attack was directed at a single person.

BBM

EYEWITNESS ON THE TRAIN SPEAKS

20Minuten.ch
http://www.20min.ch/schweiz/ostschweiz/story/13915462

Dino K. * (21) is one of the passengers who were sitting in the compartment of the train, in which a 27-year-old Swiss attacked and seriously injured other passengers on Saturday afternoon. One of the victims, a 34-year-old woman, and the culprit died on Sunday because of their injuries. In a video interview K. told 20Minuten what he experienced. Some of his descriptions are so disturbing that 20Minuten cut them out the recording.

K. had visited his girlfriend and was on the way home on the train of Südostbahn. "At some point I felt that there was a sort of draft in the train," he says to 20Minuten. "But I thought nothing of it." Then he suddenly heard shouting in the compartment, and people were rushing towards him.

"When I looked to seewhat's going on, there was smoke everywhere - and I saw a young woman on fire. She was burning from head to toe, like a torch. Suddenly her clothes had dissolved." He took his water bottle out of his bag and gave it to a woman who was taking care of the burning victim. Some passengers have done everything to help, others were like frozen.

K. reported he had searched for the SOS button on the train, he wanted to call for help. Along the way he passed a another victims: "On the ground, a woman lay with a stab wound to the abdomen, there was blood everywhere." This may have been the woman who has succumbed to their injuries on Sunday morning. Also he saw a girl with burn injuries on her face, K. told . He had asked the other passengers to look for a fire extinguisher, but it was took a while until they found him.

He had feared for his life. "Will the fire catch me too, will it burn us all or suffocate us, will there be an explosion? These questions were going through my head."

Then the train stopped at the Salez station. "We all got out, other passengers took the injured out of the train," says K. When the train stopped, emergency personnel had not yet arrived on the scene. "Shortly thereafter, however, we heard sirens, fire-fighters and emergency services arrived in." K. has noticed nothing about the knifeman: "I think I have not seen him, anyway, if I did, I did not realize who he was."

From the moment in which he realized that something was wrong, to the arrival of the train maybe be five minutes had passed, K. says.. "But it seemed to me as if it were seconds." K. was taken to a hospital, where he was examined whether he suffered from smoke inhalation. "In addition, I was given a medication that made me sleep better."

The experience is getting to him. "All the time I keep having these terrible images before my eyes, the burning woman and injured child - and I wonder constantly whether I have done enough to help." It was a feeling of uselessness: "You want to help, but you have the feeling that you can not do anything or you are not doing enough."

BBM

EYEWITNESS ON THE TRAIN SPEAKS

20Minuten.ch
http://www.20min.ch/schweiz/ostschweiz/story/13915462

Dino K. * (21) is one of the passengers who were sitting in the compartment of the train, in which a 27-year-old Swiss attacked and seriously injured other passengers on Saturday afternoon. One of the victims, a 34-year-old woman, and the culprit died on Sunday because of their injuries. In a video interview K. told 20Minuten what he experienced. Some of his descriptions are so disturbing that 20Minuten cut them out the recording.

K. had visited his girlfriend and was on the way home on the train of Südostbahn. "At some point I felt that there was a sort of draft in the train," he says to 20Minuten. "But I thought nothing of it." Then he suddenly heard shouting in the compartment, and people were rushing towards him.

"When I looked to seewhat's going on, there was smoke everywhere - and I saw a young woman on fire. She was burning from head to toe, like a torch. Suddenly her clothes had dissolved." He took his water bottle out of his bag and gave it to a woman who was taking care of the burning victim. Some passengers have done everything to help, others were like frozen.

K. reported he had searched for the SOS button on the train, he wanted to call for help. Along the way he passed a another victims: "On the ground, a woman lay with a stab wound to the abdomen, there was blood everywhere." This may have been the woman who has succumbed to their injuries on Sunday morning. Also he saw a girl with burn injuries on her face, K. told . He had asked the other passengers to look for a fire extinguisher, but it was took a while until they found him.

He had feared for his life. "Will the fire catch me too, will it burn us all or suffocate us, will there be an explosion? These questions were going through my head."

Then the train stopped at the Salez station. "We all got out, other passengers took the injured out of the train," says K. When the train stopped, emergency personnel had not yet arrived on the scene. "Shortly thereafter, however, we heard sirens, fire-fighters and emergency services arrived in." K. has noticed nothing about the knifeman: "I think I have not seen him, anyway, if I did, I did not realize who he was."

From the moment in which he realized that something was wrong, to the arrival of the train maybe be five minutes had passed, K. says.. "But it seemed to me as if it were seconds." K. was taken to a hospital, where he was examined whether he suffered from smoke inhalation. "In addition, I was given a medication that made me sleep better."

The experience is getting to him. "All the time I keep having these terrible images before my eyes, the burning woman and injured child - and I wonder constantly whether I have done enough to help." It was a feeling of uselessness: "You want to help, but you have the feeling that you can not do anything or you are not doing enough."

BBM

There are more victims from violence beyond just the physically injured. Witnesses suffer too. My heart goes out to all the people in that train car.

I was thinking that the perp knew the woman he doused, but it is seeming random, not targeted. ?

There are more victims from violence beyond just the physically injured. Witnesses suffer too. My heart goes out to all the people in that train car.

I was thinking that the perp knew the woman he doused, but it is seeming random, not targeted. ?

Police spokesman says they have no indications for a "Beziehungstat" meaning no relationship between attacker and victim(s)

In fact, they have no indication for ANY motive. (terrorist, political, against foreigners...)

The man would have acted alone.

Spokesman describes the video from the train:

You see how the perpetrator walks through the train
He is seen shaking out an inflammable liquid.
He is seen holding a knife in his hand.
Suddenly, you see a fireball.
The fireball injures all people (both perp and victims)

Video from FAZ.net
http://www.faz.net/aktuell/gesellsc...tacke-in-zug-gestorben-14387106.html#GEPC;s30

17 YEAR OLD GIRL IS FROM LIECHTENSTEIN

Liechtensteiner Vaterland
http://www.vaterland.li/liechtenste...verletzte-kommt-aus-Triesenberg;art172,218746

Train tragedy: the 17-year-old woman who was seriously injured comes from Triesenberg (Liechtenstein)
During the tragedy on Saturday on a train of the Südostbahn, a 17 year old woman from Triesenberg was seriously injured.
She is in a hospital in Zurich and has severe burns.

This morning one victim, a 34-year-old woman, succumbed to her injuries. Also the 27-year-old offender from Switzerland died.

BBM

The press mentioned one foreigner among the victims. Would that apply to nearby tiny Liechtenstein?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back