NM NM - Arden Bogart, 18, Santa Fe, 11 Feb 1988

My assessment of this MP:
-hair too dark (no red visible), and he may be too short
-no details of his disappearance story seem to be verifiable
-only one photo exists
-dental records are available, per doj.ca

Recommendation:
From the information I looked at, I don't believe there are enough details to have this be a practical prospect for our UID, unless the dental records actually exist and are helpful.

Glad someone else has posted this, bumping it up to the top now. I've learned A LOT more about Arden's case since I first posted and if anyone is interested I could share what I've got so far

Bumping it up to the top now. I've learned A LOT more about Arden's case since I first posted and if anyone is interested I could share what I've got so far

Gozer, jr, we are always interested here at Websleuths!

To start, which mall; or was the mall claim dis-proven? Can you tell us the other person's name? Seriously, we're all ears!

Gozer, Rickshaw, I alerted the post & asked that that threads be combined/unified.

Gozer, we do want to hear all that you've found!

Bumping it up to the top now. I've learned A LOT more about Arden's case since I first posted and if anyone is interested I could share what I've got so far

Please do share. Many of us here at Websleuths live in Ohio and would like to help in any way we can. So sad to think of the disappearance of such a healthy young man with his life ahead of him.

To start, which mall; or was the mall claim dis-proven? Can you tell us the other person's name? Seriously, we're all ears!

The mall aspect has been completely disproved. [FONT=&quot]I know a fair amount. Arden had been visiting a friend in Long Beach, CA (or possibly San Diego, the friend lived in Long Beach though). They were both from Lima, OH and they were on a trip to take Arden back to Ohio. Arden, and his friend (who I'll call "John" for anonymity) made several collect calls to Arden's parents along the way.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Feb 8. 1988- Needles, CA
Feb 9. 1988- Wagon Mound, NM
Feb 10. 1988(The day before Arden is reported missing) Santa Fe, NM
Feb 10, 1988 Albuquerque, NM
Feb 11. 1988- Kingman, AZ
Feb 11, 1988- Joshua Tree, CA
Feb 15, 1988- 29 Palms, CA[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]According to police record in the call Arden made in Needles on the 8th he stated there car had broken down. I assume all calls made after that were made by John. John called Arden's father (presumably the call made from Santa Fe on the 10th) and told him that the car had broken down in Santa Fe and they pulled over to the side of the road to attempt to fix the vehicle. He then said that Arden had wanted to climb a mountain and while John worked on the car Arden walked off and that was the last John ever saw of him. John claims he looked for Arden but his story is not very credible at all because he mentions such things as demons, talking animals and hearing voices, etc. John had also mentioned in his interview with investigators that Arden was using crystal (which I take to mean crystal meth, though I didn't think it was that big in 1988) and that they were both interested in satanism and joining a satanic cult so I don't put too much stock into anything John says. Here's where things get VERY interesting though, John claimed he reported the disappearance to the Santa Fe Police, the Las Vegas, NM police, and the New Mexico state police, and we have proven 100% that he never reported the case to anyone. The only way the case was ever reported was by Arden's father after John had called him. Another very suspicious thing, I spoke to John for the very first (and last) time last year and he told me he had also been questioned by the FBI about the case, which we're about 99% certain is not true. The detective working for the Santa Fe PD and his case manager on NAMUS both agree that there is no reason to suspect that the FBI ever had anything to do with the case . So the last person to see Arden alive likely is/was a drug addict and lied not only about reporting the case, but also about being interviewed by the FBI relating to the case. Sorry for the wall of text, but I'm just going by memory. This is a map I made pinpointing all the collect calls I mentioned earlier)[/FONT]

Hey, wait, Wagon Mound is northeast of Santa Fe!

Ah, and your map shows this. That route isn't returning anyone to Ohio.

Las Vegas, NM is also northeast of Santa Fe. Did "John" misplace Arden before returning to Santa Fe?

Crystal? Maybe healing crystals?

1982, a Roman Catholic priest was killed in a rest area just south of Santa Fe, this was attributed to Satanists at the time?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Unresolved..._priests_murdered_1200_miles_apart_were_they/

Maybe it's time "John" did enjoy the hospitality of the FBI....

Hey, wait, Wagon Mound is northeast of Santa Fe!

Ah, and your map shows this. That route isn't returning anyone to Ohio.

Las Vegas, NM is also northeast of Santa Fe. Did "John" misplace Arden before returning to Santa Fe?

1982, a Roman Catholic priest was killed in a rest area just south of Santa Fe, this was attributed to Satanists at the time?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Unresolved..._priests_murdered_1200_miles_apart_were_they/

The sequence of those calls is that they drove out to Wagon Mound, then were heading back toward SoCal.

The sequence of those calls is that they drove out to Wagon Mound, then were heading back toward SoCal.

The list of calls starts with February 8 in Needles, CA followed by the February 9 call from Wagon Mound.

MapQuest says that's 693 miles, 10 hours & 35 minutes. I haven't checked the weather for February 1988, but I-25 is sporadically closed due to snow accumulation.

Northern New Mexico is sparsely populated rugged terrain in any season.

Gozer, are the dates perhaps transposed?

Thank you!

That route isn't returning anyone to Ohio.

Maybe it is, maybe it's not they were heading north, but it doesn't seem like a logical path to get to Ohio
Did "John" misplace Arden before returning to Santa Fe?
It's entirely possible. I don't trust a word John says, all I know for sure is John called Arden Sr. and told him Arden Jr was missing and then Arden Sr reported Jr missing on the 11th. I presume the call in Santa Fe on the 10th was John calling Arden Sr and then the report was filed the next day.

No, I really think it was meth. It wouldn't surprise me, given the crazy story John told LE involving demons, posession, talking animals, etc...

This is interesting, I'll mention this to LE next time I speak to them

I couldn't agree more

I'm 99% sure that any calls made after the Needles call were made by John and he was heading home after he lost Arden. He certainly didn't waste any time looking for him.

MapQuest says that's 693 miles, 10 hours & 35 minutes. I haven't checked the weather for February 1988, but I-25 is sporadically closed due to snow accumulation.
I thought that was crazy too! I can't imagine driving that much in one day! To me, that seems to show they were in a hurry to get to Lima. As far as the weather goes I looked herehttps://www.wunderground.com/histor...reqdb.zip=87735&reqdb.magic=1&reqdb.wmo=99999 and it seems like a clear cold day.

Gozer, are the dates perhaps transposed?
It's possible, but those are the dates listed, that info comes from a 1990 teletype issued by the Santa Fe PD that we only re-discovered last week.

[FONT=&amp] Arden, and his friend (who I'll call "John" for anonymity) made several collect calls to Arden's parents along the way.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

Feb 8. 1988- Needles, CA
Feb 9. 1988- Wagon Mound, NM
Feb 10. 1988(The day before Arden is reported missing) Santa Fe, NM
Feb 10, 1988 Albuquerque, NM
Feb 11. 1988- Kingman, AZ
Feb 11, 1988- Joshua Tree, CA
Feb 15, 1988- 29 Palms, CA
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]

OK, have I understood this correctly? The two men drove between a third and half of the way home. Then one or both more or less turned round and drove almost back to their starting point.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
John claims he looked for Arden but his story is not very credible at all because he mentions such things as demons, talking animals and hearing voices, etc. John had also mentioned in his interview with investigators that Arden was using crystal (which I take to mean crystal meth, though I didn't think it was that big in 1988) and that they were both interested in satanism and joining a satanic cult so I don't put too much stock into anything John says.
[/FONT]

Assuming "John" is/was around the same age as Arden, the first thing that comes to mind is the onset of schizophrenia, whether or not drug-induced. Could "John" have killed Arden during an acute paranoid or psychotic state? That might then account for the irrationality of going back the way he had come.

Hi Gozer, There seems to be very little, or nothing on this one. What have you learned?

I thought that was crazy too! I can't imagine driving that much in one day!

I once drove 650 miles in a day, from Caen in Normandy to a French town very close to the Spanish border. Just me, no co-driver. It was exhausting, perhaps more so than it might have been as I did not use any motorways (freeways) but used the secondary (but still first class) road system.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back