GUILTY NE - Juliette Geurts, 2, beaten to death, Gering, 11 July 2008

I'm so glad to hear there is some measure of justice for this little angel. It has been a long time coming with SO many who were supposed to care - Juliette's mother, her father, the detective investigating, her maternal grandmother, etc., not only not caring but actively setting up roadblocks to justice for her.

I will never understand.

Charyse, if you read here, know this: You were never a real mother and never shall be. You are a betrayer, a gross abuser of babies. You are sick. Your life will never ever be whole or happy. You may fool yourself now and then that you are enjoying life. You're not and you never will. Your life will ever be a pale imitation of life. Your soul will be haunted forever by the screams of your poor little helpless baby. Your mind will be plagued by what you destroyed by your apathy and selfishness. No one will ever truly trust you and everyone you meet will figure out who you are and how terrible you are. The face of Juliette's surviving twin will be a constant reminder of what you threw away and what you stole from Juliette's twin who, thanks to you, will always feel a piece of herself missing.
The murder of your precious baby will follow you forever, into your old age, should you live that long, and when you die, hers will be the last face you see before you disappear into absolute nothingness.

Your life is ruined due to what you have done and what you have failed to do. You are meaningless.

It is very bittersweet.
I'm thrilled there is some measure of justice.
However... it just doesn't seem right that only one person was convicted.
It only feels like a partial success... partial justice... partial closure.

Dustin shouldn't have beaten Juliette to death.
However, he never should have had the CHANCE to do that.
Juliette's mother should have protected her and prevented or stopped it to begin with.
It is awesome that we got some justice... but doesn't seem fair that it will never be complete. :twocents:

For the record, my daughter didn't see it that way.
When I saw the headline I was utterly shocked.
I said "80 years, he got 80 years?!"
She walked up behind me and saw "Juliette" and "80 years" in the same sentence...
Her response was to cheer and celebrate. :loveyou:
So, I will try to focus on the positive of this situation like she did...

However, there will always be part of me that is upset that she got away.
It was HER responsibility to protect her babies from her boyfriend.
She failed and she should have had to suffer for that. :sigh:

julietteg29.jpg

On Thursday, the Nebraska Supreme Court will hear an appeal in a second Scotts Bluff County child abuse case. Dustin Chauncey, convicted in February 2015 in the July 11, 2008, death of Juliette Geurts, has appealed his conviction. Chauncey was convicted of intentional child abuse resulting in death, with prosecutors alleging at trial that Chauncey had kicked the girl and punched her in the chest, causing her death. A pathologist testified at trial that the girl had three injuries that could have been fatal — a lacerated liver, bleeding on the brain and bruising in an intestinal area.

Chauncey’s appeal centers around a grand jury indictment that led to charges against Chauncey. Chauncey says that the court erred in not dismissing the indictment, which was brought about after family members of Geurts gathered support and volunteers to circulate a petition to convene a grand jury overseen by a special prosecutor. Chauncey says that a special prosecutor should not have overseen the case, but then-Scotts Bluff County Attorney Doug Warner should have presented the case to the grand jury. Chauncey also says that the special prosecutor misled the grand jury in advising them of 2012 child abuse statutes, which weren’t applicable. Statutes from 2008 were used to bring charges against Chauncey, but he argues the grand jury should not have been referred to the 2012 statutes. He also argues that DNA evidence — which prosecutors argued at trial showed that he had come into contact with Juliette Geurts on the night of her death — were inapplicable and prejudicial in court.

http://m.starherald.com/news/local_...64e-fe08-5fae-8bec-35e0c1c00a5c.html?mode=jqm

Don't see any updates yet.

Maria Thompson ‏@MariaKThompson
Appeal hearing has started for Dustin Chauncy, sentenced for beating 2-year-old Juliette Geurts to death.

Maria Thompson ‏@MariaKThompson
Chauncey's attorney says there should not have been a special prosecutor at the grand jury trial

https://mobile.twitter.com/MariaKThompson

That's the most recent I can find.

https://supremecourt.nebraska.gov/19231/state-v-chauncey-20

Thank God! I still cry over this tiny little angle, it kills me inside to know what she suffered at the hands of a monster. I know it is over, but there are still little angles like her, in danger. I hope to God, some one saves them. For the most part, people are good, but there is that 1% that I want to see taken off the planet.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee
Back