911 Call

"There. We have a r—, there's a note left and our daughter's gone." Patsy begins to say ransom note but stops herself. The whole thing feels scripted.

"There's a note left" has got to be the least sure way to indicate this. It's like she's avoiding so much possible information in just that sentence. It's such an awkward and unusual sentence. The wording is just all wrong for someone trying to tell the 911 operator everything they know. This combined with "we have a kidnapping" is just the oddest *sincere* 911 call I ever heard. Meaning... there's just no way this is sincere.

As I write this, years and years ago today, Officer French would have been showing up at her door and poor JBR would have already been gone. I wonder what he thought. I wonder if he ever heard this 911 call, and then it all sunk in that the parents most likely participated in this awful crime.

It's so weird to me that its not until the fourth thing she says does she mention "our" daughter is gone. (Gone, not missing.)
Wouldn't the most natural thing to say be "My daughter is missing!"? But instead it's full of distancing language.

Otg, you posted a link for me before, I believe it was from mediafire?, and I listened to those recordings. At the end when PR is saying "help me Jesus", I hear BR but its almost like a whisper, "what did you find".

otgProductions:
[video=youtube;GgpRPn2xCPg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgpRPn2xCPg[/video]

That's cool, elannia.
I've never been able to hear that portion distinctly.

"There. We have a r—, there's a note left and our daughter's gone." Patsy begins to say ransom note but stops herself. The whole thing feels scripted.

Heyya AndHence.
iirc PR isn't a habitual stutterer, as is JR.

It's so weird to me that its not until the fourth thing she says does she mention "our" daughter is gone. (Gone, not missing.)
Wouldn't the most natural thing to say be "My daughter is missing!"? But instead it's full of distancing language.
Annapurna

Ya, Annapurna.
I can appreciate the term 'distancing language'.

I am pretty sure she did give the address. But everything else was so... just off. And then her on TV later. I'm pretty sure she does the whole tearless crying thing. [video=youtube;cAFmNapkpfQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAFmNapkpfQ[/video]. That's always a big red flag, especially for a woman raised in U.S. culture. I mean, and not to mention how she blubbers out 'keep your babies close to you' ... while being the woman who basically instantly tossed Burke off to a neighbour.

I'm entirely new to this discussion, but not the case. I've been reading over the JB threads this weekend, and the footage above is what inspires me to finally post. Before I do, I've been around WS for a time now, primarily posting in the Heather Elvis case, and I thought that was a crazy ride. It in no way compares to the JB case. Secondly, I'm in CO and am familiar with the City of Boulder's failures in investigating this murder. I worked in Boulder for a year, a few years before this happened, and am all too familiar with the local denial of anything less than the picturesque image of the city. And I can't begin to adequately express my disdain for Alex Hunter.

But, while I've followed this case since the day it broke in CO news, I wasn't aware of all the exhaustive details that are compiled on this site, and other sites referenced here. Wow. And wow. It's the case that just gets more complicated the more you read, and you definitely need a program to keep track of the players.

So, to now jump into my point - I recall vividly the moment when PR made her Hollywood-esque appeal to Boulder parents to "keep your babies close", and she declared a killer was on the loose. I don't know why, but it was reminiscent of the Gone With the Wind scene where Tara had been lost to the enemy army and Scarlett was eating raw turnips just to stay alive.

There was always just too much theater with Patsy, and it always seemed to take precedence over contributions to the greater mission of finding answers and obtaining justice for her daughter.

In regard to the 911 call, I hear it as a mother. And there is a decidedly discernible difference between a staged narrative for an audience and official record, and the authentic emotional distress of a mother who's child was not only missing, but supposedly a captive of individuals prepared to kill her for a (measly) $118,000. Of course we can call all of these opinions utterly subjective, anti-Patsy, or whatever. But as a mother, I can tell you that there is absolutely no freaking way that I would have begun a call for help with an announcement that "We have a kidnapping", especially if I had not lifted one finger to turn my home, yard, garage and basement upside-down looking for signs of my kid - while screaming to my husband to call the police himself while I searched. This searching instinct comes from a primal maternal place where the mission is to locate and protect the offspring from harm. It comes from the same place that has new mothers lifting up blankets of their newborns in the delivery room and commencing a systematic counting of fingers and toes, and inspection of their overall welfare. My maternal instinct to locate and protect, and to personally even rip my kid from the clutches of any intruder would prevail.

I've also had to make numerous 911 calls for my mother, who had several strokes and medical crises that I came upon with no warning. I didn't say, "We have unresponsiveness". Or, "We have a stroke". I opened the exchange with a call for an ambulance and a report of exactly what I was witnessing, and I began answering the rapid fire questions of the dispatcher, because that was the ticket to help I needed.

Yes, we all respond at least somewhat uniquely to crisis, but there's a point at which what you're doing and saying is either consistent with priorities of solving the problem, or, not. In this case, a immediate and ongoing red herring media campaign, and emotionally-packed theater of tears that did absolutely nothing to solve the case, was the R's patterned agenda.

So the 911 call was a waving red flag, and so were the subsequent waterworks when Patsy appealed to the masses to keep all the babies close, lest the phantom abductor and long-winded note writer came to their homes too. Bunk to all of it, and my heart aches for a child who will likely never see a lick of justice. JMO

I'm entirely new to this discussion, but not the case. I've been reading over the JB threads this weekend, and the footage above is what inspires me to finally post. Before I do, I've been around WS for a time now, primarily posting in the Heather Elvis case, and I thought that was a crazy ride. It in no way compares to the JB case. Secondly, I'm in CO and am familiar with the City of Boulder's failures in investigating this murder. I worked in Boulder for a year, a few years before this happened, and am all too familiar with the local denial of anything less than the picturesque image of the city. And I can't begin to adequately express my disdain for Alex Hunter.

But, while I've followed this case since the day it broke in CO news, I wasn't aware of all the exhaustive details that are compiled on this site, and other sites referenced here. Wow. And wow. It's the case that just gets more complicated the more you read, and you definitely need a program to keep track of the players.

So, to now jump into my point - I recall vividly the moment when PR made her Hollywood-esque appeal to Boulder parents to "keep your babies close", and she declared a killer was on the loose. I don't know why, but it was reminiscent of the Gone With the Wind scene where Tara had been lost to the enemy army and Scarlett was eating raw turnips just to stay alive.

There was always just too much theater with Patsy, and it always seemed to take precedence over contributions to the greater mission of finding answers and obtaining justice for her daughter.

In regard to the 911 call, I hear it as a mother. And there is a decidedly discernible difference between a staged narrative for an audience and official record, and the authentic emotional distress of a mother who's child was not only missing, but supposedly a captive of individuals prepared to kill her for a (measly) $118,000. Of course we can call all of these opinions utterly subjective, anti-Patsy, or whatever. But as a mother, I can tell you that there is absolutely no freaking way that I would have begun a call for help with an announcement that "We have a kidnapping", especially if I had not lifted one finger to turn my home, yard, garage and basement upside-down looking for signs of my kid - while screaming to my husband to call the police himself while I searched. This searching instinct comes from a primal maternal place where the mission is to locate and protect the offspring from harm. It comes from the same place that has new mothers lifting up blankets of their newborns in the delivery room and commencing a systematic counting of fingers and toes, and inspection of their overall welfare. My maternal instinct to locate and protect, and to personally even rip my kid from the clutches of any intruder would prevail.

I've also had to make numerous 911 calls for my mother, who had several strokes and medical crises that I came upon with no warning. I didn't say, "We have unresponsiveness". Or, "We have a stroke". I opened the exchange with a call for an ambulance and a report of exactly what I was witnessing, and I began answering the rapid fire questions of the dispatcher, because that was the ticket to help I needed.

Yes, we all respond at least somewhat uniquely to crisis, but there's a point at which what you're doing and saying is either consistent with priorities of solving the problem, or, not. In this case, a immediate and ongoing red herring media campaign, and emotionally-packed theater of tears that did absolutely nothing to solve the case, was the R's patterned agenda.

So the 911 call was a waving red flag, and so were the subsequent waterworks when Patsy appealed to the masses to keep all the babies close, lest the phantom abductor and long-winded note writer came to their homes too. Bunk to all of it, and my heart aches for a child who will likely never see a lick of justice. JMO

Nice post, and nice to meet you! On your assessment of dramatics and theatrics I could NOT agree more. One thing that struck me, is comparing this to other cases where we know the parents were innocent. Elizabeth Smart comes to mind because we have a living (thank God) victim who can attest to what happened to her. When on TV, recently after the abduction, her mother had her head down and basically looked like a total wreck. She was lost. She didn't even give a **** about the cameras, the audience at home, whatever. She was a wreck because her daughter was gone and she feared the worst I bet. She had no narrative or any dramatic speech. Her public image meant nothing to her, the only thing that mattered to her was getting her daughter back. When people start manipulating their public image, this is when I get nervous. It doesn't automatically mean guilt, but it looks fishy.

With the 911 call, it's one of the most suspicious things I've ever heard. I agree that everyone reacts differently to a crisis, but that wording was soooo distant. And in case anyone thinks that only a trained actress can pull off sounding this upset, I've heard a few 911 calls made by the guilty party where he/she has done an equal job of faking distress. Later they were proven guilty by evidence and court.

History may be important. I worked in a nursing home and I had to call 911 a few times and by the third time maybe I was pretty rehearsed and was able to remain very calm when relaying information about DNR's and age of patient and symptoms. So if an elderly person (that I'm not related to) has a stroke in front of me I can make a calm call. I'm not sure I could make a calm call at all if my child was missing.

Quite the opposite of PR, I think honestly I would be blaming myself constantly on that phone call. I've done this when something as simple as my dog goes missing or gets out of my sight. "Did I leave the gate open somehow? Why did I have my head down right then?" If my future-kid ever goes missing I'd send myself on a one-way ticket to guilt town. I just think it's odd that on the call PR basically just takes no blame at all and starts giving alibi's right away. "We were asleep" etc. I don't even think she was asked if she was asleep or anything. She just offers up an alibi. That's weird to me.

Just my thoughts on this. I'm sure there are cases where an innocent person sounds distant. It just looks suspicious. It wouldn't be enough to hang her, but in combination with all the other evidence it just adds up to an arrow pointing at the R's.

One of the things I find the most odd about the Ramseys' public persona is they never seem to have any urgency to find the killer. I really think that if JonBenet was killed by an intruder, the Ramseys would have launched an investigation that the country has never seen before. I can't think of a case where a child went missing or was killed and their parents had millions of dollars to spend on their own investigation. I actually think that a lot of the things that were controversial about this case would still be controversial even if it was established that an intruder had killed JonBenet and the Ramseys were not considered suspects. The pageant stuff would still be a big issue. The Ramseys might still feel like BPD has no experience and want to hire their own investigators.

Nice post, and nice to meet you! On your assessment of dramatics and theatrics I could NOT agree more. One thing that struck me, is comparing this to other cases where we know the parents were innocent. Elizabeth Smart comes to mind because we have a living (thank God) victim who can attest to what happened to her. When on TV, recently after the abduction, her mother had her head down and basically looked like a total wreck. She was lost. She didn't even give a **** about the cameras, the audience at home, whatever. She was a wreck because her daughter was gone and she feared the worst I bet. She had no narrative or any dramatic speech. Her public image meant nothing to her, the only thing that mattered to her was getting her daughter back. When people start manipulating their public image, this is when I get nervous. It doesn't automatically mean guilt, but it looks fishy.

With the 911 call, it's one of the most suspicious things I've ever heard. I agree that everyone reacts differently to a crisis, but that wording was soooo distant. And in case anyone thinks that only a trained actress can pull off sounding this upset, I've heard a few 911 calls made by the guilty party where he/she has done an equal job of faking distress. Later they were proven guilty by evidence and court.

History may be important. I worked in a nursing home and I had to call 911 a few times and by the third time maybe I was pretty rehearsed and was able to remain very calm when relaying information about DNR's and age of patient and symptoms. So if an elderly person (that I'm not related to) has a stroke in front of me I can make a calm call. I'm not sure I could make a calm call at all if my child was missing.

Quite the opposite of PR, I think honestly I would be blaming myself constantly on that phone call. I've done this when something as simple as my dog goes missing or gets out of my sight. "Did I leave the gate open somehow? Why did I have my head down right then?" If my future-kid ever goes missing I'd send myself on a one-way ticket to guilt town. I just think it's odd that on the call PR basically just takes no blame at all and starts giving alibi's right away. "We were asleep" etc. I don't even think she was asked if she was asleep or anything. She just offers up an alibi. That's weird to me.

Just my thoughts on this. I'm sure there are cases where an innocent person sounds distant. It just looks suspicious. It wouldn't be enough to hang her, but in combination with all the other evidence it just adds up to an arrow pointing at the R's.

Thank you for the welcome. :)

For me, being calm vs not being calm isn't the issue as much as is the emotion and concern you're expressing genuine, and it sounded to me more like theater and a narrative mission than an organic reaction to sudden and mind-blowing news. I thought she behaved similarly in police questioning footage and interviews.

I realize that some view the 911 call as the behavior of a distraught mother's whose child had been kidnapped, but I never did. I saw it as a crisis-management acting strategy that commenced a 'find the intruder killer' distraction to obscure what really went down in that house hours earlier.

I found this link this evening: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-human-equation/201304/lying-murder-and-deceptive-911-calls

Fake vs genuine 911 calls. Direct quotations from the article are in quote marks and in bold. The 911 transcript is below them in places where I felt it matched.

"...fake 911 callers tended to distance themselves from their victims."

911: Ok, what’s your name? Are you...
PR: Patsy Ramsey...I am the mother. Oh my God. Please.

("the" mother. Not even "her" mother. Just 'the')

"A guilty 911 caller might spontaneously launch into an explanation of how the “accident” happened (we were arguing and he wouldn’t let me leave) or what s/he was doing before s/he found the victim (I just got home from a business meeting)."
911: Do you know how long she’s been gone?
PR: No, I don’t, please, we just got up and she’s not here.

"fake 911 callers are more likely to get thrown by easy questions"

911: Does it say who took her?
PR: What?
PR: No I don’t know it’s there...there is a ransom note here.

"
Since the real goal of a guilty party’s 911 call is to establish his innocence, it makes sense that the focus of the call would be on the caller instead of the victim. In comparison to genuine calls for help, fake 911 callers tended to ask for help for themselves as opposed to their victims."

911: What is going on there ma’am?
PR: We have a kidnapping...Hurry, please

(Jonbenet isn't the victim in these words - the "we" as in PR and JR are the victims. The entire call is an example of this though. Patsy doesn't even worry about JB at all aloud, but only wants help for herself.)

"give conflicting information"

PR: No I don’t know-
PR: It says S.B.T.C. Victory...please

"avoid or repeat answers"

911: What is going on there ma’am?
PR: We have a kidnapping...Hurry, please
911: Explain to me what is going on, ok?
PR: We have a ...

In the new CBS trailer, we can now hear John Ramsey in the background say "we are not speaking to you". Around the 2:22 mark.

[video=youtube;rKjfIEgbtCA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKjfIEgbtCA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKjfIEgbtCA[/video]

In the new CBS trailer, we can now hear John Ramsey in the background say "we are not speaking to you". Around the 2:22 mark.

Good find - thanks for this post!! I hear that, but I am still not 100% confident that's definitely what is said or if it's because that's what I've read it says. It still doesn't sound much different in quality to me than what we've already heard. JMO! That makes me worry that all of this 'new' evidence is new to most but not to those of us who have researched and followed the case over the years. Even so... I'm really excited to watch it!

Good find - thanks for this post!! I hear that, but I am still not 100% confident that's definitely what is said or if it's because that's what I've read it says. It still doesn't sound much different in quality to me than what we've already heard. JMO! That makes me worry that all of this 'new' evidence is new to most but not to those of us who have researched and followed the case over the years. Even so... I'm really excited to watch it!

I'm confident! I heard it clear as a bell. And after 20 years, I know John's voice.

I thought gunslingers eventually go deaf. How can you hear after 20 years? (Just kidding)

Seriously, this is not what the Ramseys would have us believe. I love the part where John says that he didn't kill his daughter It bothers me that he does it with the smile. During that interview, Patsy starts to talk and by the end, John's smile is completely gone and he looks worried. I would think that he would look that way when he was saying he didn't kill his daughter.

I thought gunslingers eventually go deaf. How can you hear after 20 years? (Just kidding)

LOL

Seriously, this is not what the Ramseys would have us believe. I love the part where John says that he didn't kill his daughter It bothers me that he does it with the smile. During that interview, Patsy starts to talk and by the end, John's smile is completely gone and he looks worried. I would think that he would look that way when he was saying he didn't kill his daughter.

Their attitude in general bothers me. The film of Patsy's 2001 deposition is quite disturbing, for the reasons you give here.

I'm very excited to hear the 911 call. Since the clip is so short, I looped the part where 'John''s line is played in the promo.
http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=rKjfIEgbtCA#/143;144
It's ambiguous and obviously I'm biased by my prior beliefs but I really do think it's JR. I'm more positive it's him speaking than I am of what he's saying. It's just the cadence of the speech; like Jim Clemente said, I recognize that voice. The recording is still murky, but I've listened to the 911 call on youtube quite a few times and found it inconclusive. Obviously there was speech after the call and Patsy chanting "Help me Jesus" was obvious but I couldn't hear "We're not speaking to you," nor could I make out anything that sounds like a child. But I sat straight up when I first watched this because that. is. John. If they can deliver Burke's voice on that tape, that is one major Ramsey lie exposed on national TV.

For comparison, here is a loop of what I think is the same portion of the tape that someone else has interpreted as "What did you do to me, what did you do?" IMO, this could be anyone saying anything.
http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=686Ic9-yIwo&p=n#/59;74

This one is from our very own otg, and while I can hear "we're not speaking to you" a little bit, there's too much electrical interference to be certain.
http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=GgpRPn2xCPg&p=n#/142;151
So I do think the tape played is going to be of higher quality than we've heard so far and that at the very least we will be able to hear a child's voice saying something. I've never thought the actual words were that important. Mysterious and definitely of interest, but there's nothing particularly incriminating about the exchange heard on the Aerospace tape. It's the lie about the conversation ever happening and subsequent 20 year cover up that makes you wonder, "what's going on with these people?"

I'm very excited to hear the 911 call. Since the clip is so short, I looped the part where 'John''s line is played in the promo.
http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=rKjfIEgbtCA#/143;144
It's ambiguous and obviously I'm biased by my prior beliefs but I really do think it's JR. I'm more positive it's him speaking than I am of what he's saying. It's just the cadence of the speech; like Jim Clemente said, I recognize that voice. The recording is still murky, but I've listened to the 911 call on youtube quite a few times and found it inconclusive. Obviously there was speech after the call and Patsy chanting "Help me Jesus" was obvious but I couldn't hear "We're not speaking to you," nor could I make out anything that sounds like a child. But I sat straight up when I first watched this because that. is. John. If they can deliver Burke's voice on that tape, that is one major Ramsey lie exposed on national TV.

For comparison, here is a loop of what I think is the same portion of the tape that someone else has interpreted as "What did you do to me, what did you do?" IMO, this could be anyone saying anything.
http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=686Ic9-yIwo&p=n#/59;74

This one is from our very own otg, and while I can hear "we're not speaking to you" a little bit, there's too much electrical interference to be certain.
http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=GgpRPn2xCPg&p=n#/142;151
So I do think the tape played is going to be of higher quality than we've heard so far and that at the very least we will be able to hear a child's voice saying something. I've never thought the actual words were that important. Mysterious and definitely of interest, but there's nothing particularly incriminating about the exchange heard on the Aerospace tape. It's the lie about the conversation ever happening and subsequent 20 year cover up that makes you wonder, "what's going on with these people?"

Thanks, DFF! This post was incredibly helpful to me.

I hear something different in each one. This reminds me of listening to EVPs - my husband leads ghost tours/hunts in Gettysburg, and he'll bring home EVPs for me to listen to. We'll almost always disagree on what we hear. When something isn't perfectly clear, it's so hard to understand it with certainty. We have to account for tone, speed, accent, etc., and even if we knew the words spoken for certain, it's possible to misinterpret their meaning.

But I totally respect that others are convinced of what they hear - since it matches what the experts found, I tend to believe it, too.

To me the 911 tape is one of the most intriguing pieces of evidence out there. It provides insight into the family's thinking and behavior early on when they thought they couldn't be heard. Makes me remember how frustrated BPD was that they couldn't get the home bugging approved...how informative that would have been!

Thanks again for this share!

Makes me remember how frustrated BPD was that they couldn't get the home bugging approved...how informative that would have been!
Bugging the home would have likely solved the crime.......which is why they wouldn't do it.

Bugging the home would have likely solved the crime.......which is why they wouldn't do it.

Damn skippy, singularity. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation actually wondered why the BPD wasn't doing all of these things.

[video=youtube;rKjfIEgbtCA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKjfIEgbtCA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKjfIEgbtCA[/video]

Ugh, the way PR says "I loved that child" , like she's talking about a piece of furniture or something, and closes her eyes when she says it. Thanks for the clip, expat. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickyBones
Back