Post Any Dateline Discussions Here!

Let's keep in mind that the media can edit clips all they want for the trailer. It's possible Burke was reacting to a completely different question.

But even dr.Phil says they were going through some very dark areas and he smiles

smiling, not smiling, maybe it is not even that important...he might cry and then we would say he is acting, so.....
the thing is he is there for damage control and the dangerous thing is he might try to change some of the past versions of the story so that people will think when they watch the CBS show that the experts ended up thinking BDI without knowing important details

Everyone's having a heyday because Burke smiled.

Good lord...a few clips, sound bites and he's convicted in the court of public opinion of murder because he's smiling! Great editing, Dr Phil show! You accomplished the maximum sensationalism. As usual.

I agree he may not have made a good choice in giving an interview, but only because he will be exploited. Does anyone really think he finds his situation funny, pleasant or ha-ha-worthy? Maybe he's uncomfortable and this is how his discomfort is expressed. Should he be cloaked in black, somber, depressed, cry and overwrought 20 years later?

I do expect someone his age to convey that he understands the seriousness of what is being discussed and I'm not getting that from the clips. Now perhaps clever editing is responsible for that - time will tell.

Somber with a few tears would work better for me.

The live chat from last night's Dateline can be downloaded from the following link. It might be a little confusing to some because of the different times that it came on. (I'm still trying to figure out how the MST and PST time zones align with EST and CST. If someone can tell me, I'll add those time zones to the schedule.)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/lkktr8i1c3g63gr/Websleuths_Chat-09-09-2016.html

I also addded this link to the Teamup.com schedule linked under my username here (c&p the URL).

Again (and for anyone who didn't see it before), if you click on "Notifications," you'll get an email each time I make a change or update to the schedule.

respectfully snipped

6.) Stephen Pitt said it perfectly when he mentioned how he's seen perfectly upstanding citizens commit acts they'd never thought possible for them. Sometimes people need to be reminded how seemingly "perfect" families can be, and have been, anything but. Pitt also stressed how he wholeheartedly believes this was an accident that escalated to something unthinkable, which I completely agree with.

BBM. And I think that is why Hunter and his advisory team chose not to formally indict. The punishment naturally rendered on those involved, especially the responsible, was horrendous. There would have been no purpose to send anyone to prison because what remained of his/her/their life/lives would be punishment enough. Taxpayers also were saved a lot of money and Hunter and crew were saved from a long, hard "day in court."

I still think Patsy killed JonBenet but that woman suffered the rest of her life in so many ways and prison would not have served any good purpose in my view.

My main gripe is why the Ramseys just couldn't seem to keep their mouths shut.

Ratings are in for Dateline. 6.5 million, and a 1.3/5 in the 18-49 range.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2016/09/10/tv-ratings-friday-september-9-2016/

Dateline's episode on OJ a few months ago was their highest-rated in 3 years and it did 5.9 million viewers and 1.4/4 in 18-49.

Steven Avery episode did 4.94 million viewers and 1.4/5 in 18-49 group.

I am not really sure what the 1.4/5, 1.3/5, 1.4/4 really mean.

I'd have to go over it again, Sunshine4Me, and you know I will. But he seemed to suggest that they didn't know she was still alive.

I can see the interpretation going either way about whether or not she was alive. But what gets my goat is that any parent would not seek immediate medical help for an injured child no matter what happened or who was involved.

Something is still not right with this picture, imo, no matter who-did-what. Even if covering for Burke such ill regard puts a mighty small price on whether on not JonBenet received medical help -- that's not love in my book.

There is no "controlling the narrative" when a case like this is globally famous. People decide what they want, how they want, and it doesn't matter how many facts there are. There will be people who insist to their dying breath that an intruder did it. Facts won't matter. The remaining Ramsey family will not tell what really happened in the house that night. So Burke's motives are for naught. He certainly would have been better off keeping his mouth shut and just getting on with the rest of his life. There's nothing to 'win' by him giving interviews.

I would expect him to be somber and serious...his affect is way off the hook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can see the interpretation going either way about whether or not she was alive. But what gets my goat is that any parent would not seek immediate medical help for an injured child no matter what happened or who was involved.

Something is still not right with this picture, imo, no matter who-did-what. Even if covering for Burke such ill regard puts a mighty small price on whether on not JonBenet received medical help -- that's not love in my book.

What if by the time JonBenet was found it was extremely obvious that she was dead? That's what I assume must be the case for these parents not to seek medical help.

Everyone's having a heyday because Burke smiled.

Good lord...a few clips, sound bites and he's convicted in the court of public opinion of murder because he's smiling! Great editing, Dr Phil show! You accomplished the maximum sensationalism. As usual.

I agree he may not have made a good choice in giving an interview, but only because he will be exploited. Does anyone really think he finds his situation funny, pleasant or ha-ha-worthy? Maybe he's uncomfortable and this is how his discomfort is expressed. Should he be cloaked in black, somber, depressed, cry and overwrought 20 years later?

People aren't convinced BR participated in the murder of his sister simply because he was smiling on the Dr. Phil show. There were many BDI theorists before this, mostly because of Kolar's book.

Mountain_Kat and madeleine: I'm sorry, but I have to go with Dr. Pitt on this one. I know you guys believe what you say, but it's just like skydiving: you can practice on the ground all you like, but it's not until you jump from the plane that you know whether you're F'd or not.

I would expect him to be somber and serious...his affect is way off the hook.

Exactly. Compare Dr. Phil's somber face with Burke's giddiness. It's just unsettling. I don't think many people here expect weeping and bawling but something's off about acting giddy when one's sister has been brutally murdered in their own home.

As for the show last night, I had my mom tape it for me. I just watched it and too many details were left out. As soon as that one guy stated the family was completely normal with no dysfunction, I knew the show was whitewashed in favor of the Ramseys. Not sure what planet he's living on but smearing scat is definitely dysfunctional.

What if by the time JonBenet was found it was extremely obvious that she was dead? That's what I assume must be the case for these parents not to seek medical help.

Yeah, it depends on whether you believe Patsy was involved in the strangling. JonBenet appeared dead after the head strike, but presumably she still had a pulse and why wouldn't Patsy make sure of that? But Kolar implies that the person who hit her over the head was the same person who strangled her. That would suggest that Patsy didn't discover JonBenet until she was in fact dead.

The big mystery for me is how much JR knew and when. I think it's possible he knew nothing until he saw the ransom note.

Yeah, it depends on whether you believe Patsy was involved in the strangling. JonBenet appeared dead after the head strike, but presumably she still had a pulse and why wouldn't Patsy make sure of that? But Kolar implies that the person who hit her over the head was the same person who strangled her. That would suggest that Patsy didn't discover JonBenet until she was in fact dead.

The big mystery for me is how much JR knew and when. I think it's possible he knew nothing until he saw the ransom note.

I find it impossible to believe that Patsy would have been involved with strangling JonBenet (a shove that results in a slip and a serious head injury- maybe - but I don't think that's what happened). I also find it impossible to believe that John would have been involved with strangling JonBenet.

Now if Patsy did do this evil - I could see her doing the cover-up without John. But if, as I believe she didn't hurt JonBenet in any way then why not wake John and get him involved?

I find it impossible to believe that Patsy would have been involved with strangling JonBenet (a shove that results in a slip and a serious head injury- maybe - but I don't think that's what happened). I also find it impossible to believe that John would have been involved with strangling JonBenet.

Now if Patsy did do this evil - I could see her doing the cover-up without John. But if, as I believe she didn't hurt JonBenet in any way then why not wake John and get him involved?
That's possible, but keep in mind that JR had a more distant relationship with the kids because he wasn't around as much. Patsy was used to dealing with the kids on her own. I could see a scenario where she didn't want to wake him up and complicate things.

We know the Ramseys stayed away from each other for most of the morning. JR didn't act like someone who was trying to support his wife and put on a united front. He acted like someone who was becoming more and more suspicious of his wife.

I am not really sure what the 1.4/5, 1.3/5, 1.4/4 really mean.

1.4 viewers out of every 5 viewers in that most important demographic (age range)?

from wikipedia: In general, the number of viewers within the 18–49 age range is more important than the total number of viewers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nielsen_ratings

DH and I both started watching Dateline last night, but he gave up after an hour and went to bed. I watched until the end but had lost interest and was doing other things (surfing the net) while listening half-heartedly.

I will be away for a few days and am not sure when/if Dr. Phil airs "up north" (Mackinac Island). I've watched several video clips of the interview and get a creepy feeling watching Burke. He's a strange character, and the ear-to-ear grin is scary :eek: Was he being groomed for a modeling career? The perpetual smile seems forced - as if he's been told "be sure to smile". I'm sure JonBenet was accustomed to the smile-coaching for her pageant participation, so it's possible that Burke thought smiling was a good thing. :moo:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee
Back