Identified! CA - L.A. Griffith Park, WhtFem 725UFCA, 20-28, @Picnic Table, Jun'68 Cheryl McMillan

Is there anything happening with the potential match?

Is there anything happening with the potential match?

No. Without dentals, there is nothing that can be done. There is no DNA on GPJD, and no dentals on Anita.

Maybe they will have to either try and find Anita's dental records or exhume the Jane Doe's body to rule Anita out?

They can't exhume. She was cremated.

No. Without dentals, there is nothing that can be done. There is no DNA on GPJD, and no dentals on Anita.

Tthey can't exhume. She was cremated.

Well, my heart is officially broken. Thanks for trying, Carl. I sincerely appreciate it. :banghead:

Tthey can't exhume. She was cremated.

Oh no! Why would the LA police have her cremated and not even take DNA? That doesn't make any sense. I hope Anita's dental records can be found

There are cases in NamUs before 1968 which have DNA available. I guess they might not have bothered with this case because it wasn't a homicide. They still should've kept a strand of her hair or not had her cremated.

There are cases in NamUs before 1968 which have DNA available. I guess they might not have bothered with this case because it wasn't a homicide. They still should've kept a strand of her hair or not had her cremated.

Not many in Los Angeles County. They cremate all their UID's and indigents. The old cases with DNA are ones where clothing or blood/tissue samples were kept in storage (usually homicide cases).

Well, poop.

It seems like certain identification is an impossibility then. :(

So....how can this be solved? I'm thinking whoever was with her when she OD'ed? No doubt she was with others. What a sad end.

I've run into this with another JD in CA where the only identifier is fingerprints, they don't even have dental available. That boggles my mind because this was in 1980 and at the very least should have dental records. I talked to the NamUS rep of that particular case and asked how in the world can they make a match under those circumstances? He said they'd have to exhume the body, but it sounds to me like that wouldn't be an option if they cremated it.

Cheryl%20McMillan%20and%20Griffith%20Park%20JD..jpg

GREAT NEWS!!!!!

GRIFFITH PARK JANE DOE may finally have a name:

Cheryl McMillan of Campbell, California. It hasn't yet been confirmed, but I am certain that this is a good match.

Special thanks to my friend and former co-worker Rita Winsick Hood, who was following my facebook page and took it upon herself to research this case.:

Rita researched the ring with the initals CB to EJ 9-4-1920. Only one couple with those initials were married on that date: Charles Bush married Edna Jay on September 4, 1920 in Detroit.

Charles and Edna were Cheryl's grandparents.

Rita located Cheryl's brother and he verified that Cheryl has not been seen since 1968.

Cheryl's mother was Geraldine Charlotte Bush, and her father was Joseph Bradford. However, when Geraldine remarried to Douglas McMillan, Cheryl assumed the surname McMillan.

Apparently, the name Miller came from a man whom Cheryl had been dating at the time.

That's excellent. Is Cheryl listed as missing anywhere by chance?

That's excellent. Is Cheryl listed as missing anywhere by chance?

No, she is not. Rita spoke with Cheryl's brother, and she says he doesn't believe that a MP report was ever filed.

No, she is not. Rita spoke with Cheryl's brother, and she says he doesn't believe that a MP report was ever filed.

Sorry to hear that. I'm hoping GPJD will finally have her name back and be reunited with her family. That's great sleuthing!

It has to be a match - Well done Rita!

How wonderful to see a 60s case being resolved. This gives us hope for all our other long-term UIDs.

Special thanks to my friend and former co-worker Rita Winsick Hood, who was following my facebook page and took it upon herself to research this case.:

Rita researched the ring with the initals CB to EJ 9-4-1920. Only one couple with those initials were married on that date: Charles Bush married Edna Jay on September 4, 1920 in Detroit.

Charles and Edna were Cheryl's grandparents.

Rita located Cheryl's brother and he verified that Cheryl has not been seen since 1968.

Cheryl's mother was Geraldine Charlotte Bush, and her father was Joseph Bradford. However, when Geraldine remarried to Douglas McMillan, Cheryl assumed the surname McMillan.

Apparently, the name Miller came from a man whom Cheryl had been dating at the time.

This is the sort of good old fashioned sleuthing that solves cases. Great work by your friend.

She was from near me. How fabulous that she may very we'll have her name back, and how perplexing that she's just been kind of forgotten about since 1968.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305
Back