Dr. Phil Interviews Burke Ramsey (9/12 & 9/13 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Burke reacted very oddly when Dr. Phil asked him if the note looked like his mother's handwriting. He didn't didn't really vehemently deny it. He picked one phrase, at the beginning of the document when the writing is most disguised, "Listen Carefully", and said it stood out as not appearing to be her writing. Strange.

Simplest theory: BR woke JBR late to go downstairs and play with some toys. They ate pineapple together. He plays with train set, she annoys him, he jabs her with it. She threatens to tell on him, he hits her with flashlight. He thinks she's dead, tells parents. They think she's dead, panic, fear for son, stage ridiculous cover-up. Once police bought the kidnapping, they couldn't/didn't turn back.

Also, let's say, you snuck out of your room and witnessed something awful happening as a child...I imagine one way of coping is completely internalizing it and making it go away, therefore you just repeat what you hear the adults saying happened.

After watching the first episode, I watched the second one with that in mind. I have PTSD with a lot of avoidance. A lot about the interview makes sense when watched looking for signs of PTSD. It wouldn't be weird at all for Burke to have not read the ransom note or looked online to see what people were saying about the case. I also think that his constant smirk could be linked to coping by avoiding feeling any emotions. I know someone with PTSD and Asperger's Syndrome that struggles with presenting as "normal" when in a therapeutic setting. If Burke is on the spectrum and has PTSD, I can see him not knowing what emotional response people would be expecting and choosing one that made him seem suspicious.

The really interesting thing that I took away from watching the interview with that in mind, is that Dr. Phil's questions are not at all phrased to get through Burke's psychological defenses, if those assumptions that I made are true. Along with being easier to answer, questions that require a narrow answer don't help as much with memory recall. If there are things that he has suppressed, the interview was structured in a way that made it less likely for them to break through. It really makes me think that there were a lot of restrictions put on Dr. Phil before they agreed to the interview.

Maybe he did witness something. Maybe that's why he stayed in bed, pretending to be asleep, when people came in his room. Maybe he stayed in his room because he was scared. Maybe he still is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Ok after sleeping some, I have a few observations/questions to throw out there.
I agree with what someone said earlier regarding PR plan. This was definitely Plan C.
I don't think it was a crime of hate whether BR did it or PR. I think if BR did it, even if they were bratty brother and sister or he was jealous or they did sexually inappropriate things, I still feel if he did it, it was an accident. If PR did it, it happened out of exhaustion, frustration, and happened quickly.
I DO think BR is creepy and potentially the killer or witness. I think the real reason he was hidden away was because he would've made it obvious something was off with him. Reporters would have been on it like flies to poop. They shielded him to shield the family pride. He has issues whether it is a spectrum issue or just deviant behavior, that needed professional help.
I think this whole BR interview thing started off as DP thinking it was a good ratings booster and something that would seal his role in the industry.
After getting all of the videos of him as a 9 yr old, DP saw this as a WOAH moment. Maybe before he thought he might be innocent, but after seeing the videos and meeting him, DP knew he was looking at the killer or witness.
He knew it was a story that the viewers could draw the truth out of the whole story. He knew what he was looking at.
All he had to do was ask the questions and BR would seal it for him.
That smile. You can tell DP is kind of creeped out and in awe of it at the same time. Like "does he know he is giving himself away??? Am I seeing what I think I am seeing????"
I will never get behind the IDI theory simply because of the Ransom note. It was obviously her handwriting. They never ruled her out. They had 2 1/2 pages to look at, not just a few sentences. The more she wrote the deeper she dug her hole.
Besides creepy pedos falsely fessing up to it for 15 min of fame, none of the potential suspects in my opinion, fit the crime.
More evidence, much more, point to it being an inside job. I don't believe anyone framed JR out of jealousy. If they did, they did a horrible job. I think the only person who tried to frame JR..... was PR.
The glass on top of the suitcase shows that the suitcase was under the window when it was broken. It was not out of place, it was placed there as a staging effect and the window was open then broken. JR stated several times he broke that window months before. Why say this then say that the suitcase was out of place?
No one tried to put her in the suitcase (an intruder) in my opinion. Maybe Patsy TRIED to put her in it to move her body, then realized the difficulty, and staged the scene to look like an intruder. Glass on top of the suitcase.
It all points to someone thinking of how they would stage a scene if they were writing a broadway play. But the small details give it away. The things she didn't clearly think of as dead giveaways.
Trying to make it look like an IDI is actually what made them look more guilty.
Had they not wrote the RN, the over kill, the lies about small unimportant details, people might have bought the intruder theory.
What makes me sad is there will never be justice for JonBenet. Even if BR admits it, nothing will happen. Heartbreaking.

[video=youtube;rc568hF3B4Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc568hF3B4Q[/video]

At 15:59 DP, starts talking about BR. By the end of the topic (MOO) you get which way DP's pendulum swings. Again it's just my opinion.

Burke didn't venture outside his room that morning to ask "What's going on?" Didn't ask any questions about where/how was JBR? This is SO odd. During the interview he doesn't say he was upset. He says he could see OTHERS were upset and he was trying to stop people from being sad. Hmm...

It seems pretty clear that he thinks Burke/the family did it, or were at the very least, involved in the cover-up. This case got screwed right from the start, but it's not like it's a big 'whodunit' mystery like Jack The Ripper.

At 15:59 DP, starts talking about BR. By the end of the topic (MOO) you get which way DP's pendulum swings. Again it's just my opinion.

On The View DP says the boot print by her body is cleared up. Is that in Part 3? If not I missed it.

The thing is, someone--intruder or one of the Ramsey's-- in the house DID hit her in the head. How is it he'd think he hear a a family member, which I think is what DP is alluding to with the question, but DIDN'T hear an intruder do it?

I agree. Dr. Phil framed a very good question. The bottom line on this for me is Dr. Phil's question and Burke's response tells me Burke heard something.

X-Files -- yes, precisely!!!

With this new info from BR, it is very plausible to imagine a scenario where he uses the flashlight to sneak back downstairs to play with the toy and while out of bed decides to make himself a snack of iced tea and pineapple. Since he's just a kid, he uses the "too big spoon" that PR says she would never use to serve the kids pineapple with. And since he's just a kid, he doesn't clean up or clear the dishes (like he said was typically done in the house) from his snack.

We don't know for a fact whether or not BR used the flashlight to go back downstairs (BR says he "can't remember" when Dr P asks him about this), but somehow that flashlight found its way from upstairs back downstairs again and into the kitchen after it was used by JR to put BR to bed. It seems logical to me that BR would've used the flashlight to "sneak" back downstairs so as not to awaken anyone else in the house. The word "sneak" implies "stealth" to me, so I think it's plausible to assume that he did use the flashlight when he got out of bed and went downstairs.

Here's what I ask myself -- is it possible that while BR is downstairs, JBR wakes up (either because she hears BR up and about or because she has wet the bed -- we know that her sheets were urine-stained based on police report) and then goes downstairs to see what BR is up to? Maybe she wants to play too? We know there was no sign of struggle in her room. We know that it looks like the covers of her bed are just pushed back like someone would naturally do if getting out of bed.

And is it possible that after she goes downstairs, there is some sort of squabble over the pineapple? Maybe she grabs a few chunks out of BR's bowl and this sets him off? We know from transcripts of BR's taped interviews with law enforcement that he did have "issues" with people touching things that belonged to him. I can't recall which book I read this in (I believe either Kolar's or Thomas's), but I remember reading that the interviewer took a sip out of BR's soda can (or cup) by mistake, and this was very unsettling to BR. I believe BR made some comment about it now being "ruined" or something similar.

Totally plausible and realistic scenario. Or JBR touched his new toy were fighting over the new train track.
The stranger doesn't set right with me. The lack of footprints in the snow, unless they entered through the front door and also left the same way (still no footprints).

All he had to was hit her and then the cover up by the parents . I think he was jealous of all the attention that she constantly received and if he does have behavioral problems was prone to lashing out and he had already shown he was capable of hitting her. How many brothers and sisters use a golf club to hit a sibling ?

Not me, not mine, but Burke seems to have issues a normal kid does not.

On The View DP says the boot print by her body is cleared up. Is that in Part 3? If not I missed it.

I don't know what will be covered in part 3 next week (and I'm bummed I will have to miss that one).
Here is what I've heard about the boot print. Apparently the boot was a very popular one. I believe it was said John Andrew had a pair (and obviously is someone who would have been in the home previously). And that several of the law enforcement people in the home that day had those boots as well. This is what I remember from Kolar's book. Not sure what Dr Phil will say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought maybe I'd heard it wrong. I thought the interviewer asked him what kind of snacks JonBenet liked without qualifying "before bed" and BR answered very automatically "We aren't allowed to have snacks before bed time". I could have heard it wrong, and sorry if this has been answered. Trying like heck to catch up here!

PR wasn't an experienced criminal. She wrote a Hollywood version of what she thought a ransom note sounds like. I doubt she was thinking ahead very much or anticipating questions about the length, the notepad and pen, or the bonus amount. I do think that if JR had written the note, he would have been smarter about it and he would have made sure the body was found outside the home.

But she did change her handwriting sufficiently enough that experts are unable to definitively say she wrote it. In that sense, the ransom note was very successful in helping cast reasonable doubt on their involvement.
Agreed.
I don't think for one minute PR EVER thought they would suspect such "good christian people". I think she thought this was a well acted play until the investigators let her in on the fact no one was fooled.
I think she was insulted that no one bought her acting/ staging.
I think PR wanted her body to be found for selfish reasons.
JMOO

If Burke does have Asperger's or some form of autism why in the world would his father or Lin Wood even allow such an interview? They would know that Burke does not answer questions normally and would come across socially awkward and evasive. He might be an adult but they would have been able to advise him against putting himself out there and causing more negative publicity. Even if Burke does not have a medical condition his father would have known that Burke would not come across well during an interview.

Also, it was Dr. Phil who brought up the flashlight and stated John Ramsey said he used the flashlight when he put Burke to bed. Now, both JR and PR have both denied that the flashlight belonged to them. No fingerprints on the flashlight or even the batteries. Why would someone have wiped down the flashlight and batteries unless it was the murder weapon.

I believe someone in the house committed the murder since most of the evidence points to one of the three people who were in the home. There was staging that went on after the murder to throw off the investigators. However, one thing bothers me. The garrote and the details surrounding the device. Would the average person even know about making such a device?

Money Money Money and now I wonder if JR's fortune has dwindeled enough to consider interview's now. They both were paid a handsome sum no doubt, why else would they do it ?

Burke interview left me clueless. On one hand his body language and attitude could be due to how he copes with it all, on the other it could be a mask. I would crack by now if I had committed murder. So confusing!

Burke interview left me clueless. On one hand his body language and attitude could be due to how he copes with it all, on the other it could be a mask. I would crack by now if I had committed murder. So confusing!

I noticed he had the same weird grin as he was walking away from the funeral very quirky

ugh I had someones comment quoted, but i lost it when I replied.

This it to the poster who said she had an inappropriate response to the news of her grandfathers death.

yes but the difference is now as an adult - you see how your actions as a child during that sad time were inappropriate. BR seems to still behave that way at 30 years old, that is what is unsettling.

A natural death is extremely different from a sudden, violent death. Natural deaths aren't traumatic in the same way. (My apologies if your grandfather was violently murdered in your home.)

Deaths which are sudden or the result of a traumatic event pose special problems for the survivor. In addition to the typical signs of grief such as anger, denial, sadness and guilt, survivors may feel:

Shock
Increased vulnerability
Physical or emotional fear and anxiety

Very often the grief response is intensified because there is little or no opportunity to prepare for the death.

https://www.seton.net/medical-servi.../grief-following-a-sudden-or-traumatic-death/

A Sudden Loss is one that occurs without any forewarning. A Traumatic Death is one that is sudden, unanticipated, violent, mutilating or destructive, random and/or preventable, involves multiple deaths or one in which the mourner has a personal encounter with death

<snip>

Death due to a sudden or traumatic accident or disaster can raise a number of complex issues for the survivors. The grief process is often very different from an expected or anticipated death. Homicide, suicide, or exceptionally tragic events can cause reactions such as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder on the part of survivors and family members. Sudden loss or death creates special problems for the survivors. Many of these problems compound the grief response.

http://www.journeyofhearts.org/grief/accident2.html

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

No my grandfather wasn't murdered but died in surgery.

My friend however died in d under suspicious circumstances and it was never solved. I never got over it. I still refer to him in present tense and cannot stop myself from crying when I talk about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam