TX - 'Lori Ruff', Longview, WhtFem UP9863, *General Discussion and Theories* #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder why Akoya thought releasing Lori's true identity was dangerous for her daughter?

Because she's a fraud. The case was solved by DNA. It says that very clearly--they found a first cousin and then a 3rd cousin. They made a family tree and then went to meet the family to see if they knew who she was. Then they confirmed with DNA. But it was the DNA that tracked down a possible surname match. Akoya didn't know any of that before the info was released.

Assuming no trauma or abuse has been omitted from her story, it seems that the breaking up of her family was the catalyst for her leaving. Still, leaving because you don't like your step dad is so extreme. Speculation, but I'm thinking she was dealing with mental health issue's as early as the 80's when she left home. She may have felt that she just wasn't understood and didn't know what to do but leave.

Is this a woman who struggled to feel a sense of belonging anywhere for her entire life? Did she secretly go off and cry during the times she left family events, feeling lonely thinking about the family she left? It makes sense that she held her own baby so tightly, and I can see how the breaking up of her own marriage could be the catalyst for her breakdown/suicide. Having her own little family may have given her a sense of safety and belonging that she hadn't felt since childhood, and then it unravels, leaving her back where she started. Alone. I'm rambling and I know nothing, but my heart is so heavy for Kimberly right now.

You're not rambling. This is exactly what I am thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Dorado is a fascinating case and with a few pictures and some clues.

I hung out w/ her she was a sweetheart long story , you have to read the thread in whole I suspect who she is related to ....its a long story we can get into it after this!

I hope someone in the Philadelphia area is making a beeline for the Bishop McDevitt High School library.

There are yearbook photos to be found.

Flippin' good point!!

I wonder if the female who called in the connection initially was SS1988? Linda always felt that poster was a female. But SS said "Lori" lived with her mother in Texas in 1988, so that bit definitely isn't right. Hmmmm.

Either SS1988 was a troll as well or Lori/Kimberly lied about staying with her mother and snowed him good. I'm going with SS1988 was a troll but JMO.

Assuming no trauma or abuse has been omitted from her story, it seems that the breaking up of her family was the catalyst for her leaving. Still, leaving because you don't like your step dad is so extreme. Speculation, but I'm thinking she was dealing with mental health issue's as early as the 80's when she left home. She may have felt that she just wasn't understood and didn't know what to do but leave.

Agreed - if that article really tells the whole story then for her to have broken things off so completely from her family forever I feel as if she had to have an untreated illness.

I'm so happy that we finally know who "Lori" is! I just can't believe that Kimberly used to live in my area. Wow!

So sad. We saw this exact same situation with Grateful Doe / Jason Callaghan.

Families, please, if there's someone who walked away and you've not heard anything for decades, please file them as missing. So much heartache could be avoided.

I don't think that would've gone anywhere in this case though - an adult who says she's leaving and wishes to have no contact, with no evidence of foul play?

Isn't that when the police say that there's nothing wrong with doing that and she has every right?

Either SS1988 was a troll as well or Lori/Kimberly lied about staying with her mother and snowed him good. I'm going with SS1988 was a troll but JMO.

He doesn't necessarily have to be a troll. Maybe he really did date someone who resembled her and thought he might know her. He could have reported it and it came to nothing. We really have no idea and probably won't ever. JMO

Well shoot. If Ayoka is CF, I'd feel like an a$$.

I don't think so.Akoya said there was reason it shouldn't be public because it was a bad situation IIRC.

So Professor Abbot was correct with his "18 year old runaway from Pennsylvania" leak, and that was back in March!! Presumably they have been waiting for the extra DNA confirmation before releasing it. EDIT I just checked and Colleen Fitzpatrick is the forensic genealogist looking at the Somerton Man / Taman Shud case. So there's our connection...

Wow. RIP Kimberly McClean from Philadelphia. Would love to know the backstory.

Rest in peace Kim. So thankful your daughter will have answers.

Because she's a fraud. The case was solved by DNA. It says that very clearly--they found a first cousin and then a 3rd cousin. They made a family tree and then went to meet the family to see if they knew who she was. Then they confirmed with DNA. But it was the DNA that tracked down a possible surname match. Akoya didn't know any of that before the info was released.

Ah but someone called in the name Cassidy as well:

For three years, a large cadre of dogged online sleuths has been trying to solve the mystery. Late last year, one of them called Velling with a theory: Lori Ruff came from a family back East, she said. The Cassidys. Based on the evidence she provided, Velling believed she was right.

I get the impression until then Velling/Fitzpatrick knew she was a Cassidy but had no idea which part of America she was from and came t a dead end. The called in tip late last year allowed them to concentrate on PA.

I don't think that would've gone anywhere in this case though - an adult who says she's leaving and wishes to have no contact, with no evidence of foul play?

Isn't that when the police say that there's nothing wrong with doing that and she has every right?

I agree. She was an adult. She told them she was leaving and to leave her alone. I am sure it was difficult but her mother respected her enough to do that. The police would have no interest in a case like that. I am curious of what happened to her in the next two years that made her think changing her name was necessary. Her family had not interfered. Wouldn't be necessary to hide from them. I smell a new mystery.

I keep thinking about her sister. My sister and I are thick as thieves but can also have our phases where we do NOT get along. I can't imagine my sister up and leaving, never to be heard from again. I hope that the reason Kimberly kept the PO boxes was to have contact with her sister. Probably not, but a girl can hope.

I wonder if some of her family members will do some interviews?
They'd likely think we're crazy, but she somehow feels like family to us now.
It would warm my heart to see some photos of her having fun as a kid or teen!
I loved reading the bits of info her cousin put out there, painting a fun and happy childhood.
At least she had that for some of her life and I'll bet she'd rather be remembered/thought of as that girl rather than the disturbed woman she became.

She came from Cassidy/McLean families and chose Kennedy for herself - another Irish origin surname...

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

OMG!!! I haven't been able to check the site for hours and I come back to a name!! [emoji15]

This is AMAZING!

I had a feeling she left her life for no traumatic reason.

Wow.. When these older cases are solved, the feeling afterwards is so odd.

Ah but someone called in the name Cassidy as well:

For three years, a large cadre of dogged online sleuths has been trying to solve the mystery. Late last year, one of them called Velling with a theory: Lori Ruff came from a family back East, she said. The Cassidys. Based on the evidence she provided, Velling believed she was right.

I get the impression until then Velling/Fitzpatrick knew she was a Cassidy but had no idea which part of America she was from and came t a dead end. The called in tip late last year allowed them to concentrate on PA.

Ah. Ok. When I read that, I thought the person that called in the tip was Fitzpatrick--the forensic genealogist and then she worked with Velling from there. Strange they had a tip sent in but it didn't go anywhere. I supposed that tipster COULD have been Akoya but she still didn't solve it. They had to use DNA to find the family and didn't even have a name until they showed the family pictures of Lori.

Omg I have been googling my fingers off between patients

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members