Why GJ Likely Solved Case In 1999

The law - complete & total shielding of the murderer prevented the case from being "solved" publicly.

The law, the way it's written, demands people to actually lie to shield an "infant" murderer's identity.

The Ramsey's, in covering up the crime, actually imprisoned themselves all these years.

Karma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

it sounds like Blue Crab settled the issue long ago: there's basically no crime due to the age, so no D.A. should have any reason or interest in pursuing this. My last curious question is what the consequences would be if he confessed. Sounds like no legal consequences, but huge stigma for JR.

No No - that's not what the people on the GJ said - they were thinking Murder in the First Degree - and a cover-up of that Murder in the First Degree.

money talks! wonder if someone got 'paid off' t0 look the other way?...............political................JR ran in the political game also

it sounds like Blue Crab settled the issue long ago: there's basically no crime due to the age, so no D.A. should have any reason or interest in pursuing this. My last curious question is what the consequences would be if he confessed. Sounds like no legal consequences, but huge stigma for JR.
I was wondering what the statute of limitations is on the crimes the GJ voted to indict the Ramseys on. Is it safe to assume from the bold in your post that they can no longer bring those charges?

I was wondering what the statute of limitations is on the crimes the GM voted to idiot the Ramseys on. Is it safe to assume from the bold in your post that they can no longer bring those charges?

IIRC it was 3 years. I believe it was extended to 5 years because the Ramsey's moved out of state. But yes, it's expired.
The age referenced is Burkes age at the time of the crime being investigated. He was 9 and no criminal charges could be brought against anyone under 10 years of age in Colorado at that time

IIRC it was 3 years. I believe it was extended to 5 years because the Ramsey's moved out of state. But yes, it's expired.
The age referenced is Burkes age at the time of the crime being investigated. He was 9 and no criminal charges could be brought against anyone under 10 years of age in Colorado at that time
Thanks! Btw I just noticed the autocorrect mistakes in my post lol

The law - complete & total shielding of the murderer prevented the case from being "solved" publicly.

The law, the way it's written, demands people to actually lie to shield an "infant" murderer's identity.

The Ramsey's, in covering up the crime, actually imprisoned themselves all these years.

Karma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is one thing I don't understand. If Burke was not/is not chargeable due to age, how does a True Bill reconcile with that? How can *any* charges be filed if the offender never committed a crime (committed in a legal sense). So why convene a Grand Jury that isn't going anywhere from the git-go?

Very puzzling to me but then I live in a state that has no age limits for offenders committing murder although there are some stipulations for punishment that comes under juvenile offender courts and statutes.

Correct, I meant Burke's age. What's almost 'Twilight Zoneish' about this (and I hope I'm wrong) is that since there was no 'starting' crime (the murder) in the legal sense due to his age, then the parents can't be charged for being accessories. You can only be an accessory to a crime - since there was no crime, being an accessory is not even possible. Can that be true? I've heard of the term 'legal loophole' but this would be the worst example I've heard of. Can you imagine how people close to the case felt when they first heard: "you're not going to believe this, but if Burke is shown to the likely killer we can't ever say that in public, and if the Ramsey's were shown to have tried to cover for him we can't even go after them since that would require us to name Burke as the killer, which we can't do ..." So were the GJ proceedings a sham?. If the police/DA didn't genuinely think either of the Ramsey's killed her, then they knew going in that nothing 'productive' could emerge from it.

I can't read them on my phone- can someone post a synopsis or tell the significant points in the documents- please? Thanks in advance.

It's getting late right now, but will try to transcribe what I can tomorrow. :)

Correct, I meant Burke's age. What's almost 'Twilight Zoneish' about this (and I hope I'm wrong) is that since there was no 'starting' crime (the murder) in the legal sense due to his age, then the parents can't be charged for being accessories. You can only be an accessory to a crime - since there was no crime, being an accessory is not even possible. Can that be true? I've heard of the term 'legal loophole' but this would be the worst example I've heard of. Can you imagine how people close to the case felt when they first heard: "you're not going to believe this, but if Burke is shown to the likely killer we can't ever say that in public, and if the Ramsey's were shown to have tried to cover for him we can't even go after them since that would require us to name Burke as the killer, which we can't do ..." So were the GJ proceedings a sham?. If the police/DA didn't genuinely think either of the Ramsey's killed her, then they knew going in that nothing 'productive' could emerge from it.

There was a crime and the John and Patsy could have been charged with child endangerment and being accessories. The fact that Burke was 9 years 11 months when his sister was killed does not mean there wasn't a murder. It just means that in Colorado he personally could not be held criminally responsible for that murder.

My take on what happened is that the DA knew he'd be up against very powerful defense attorneys and was afraid they didn't have a strong enough case in part due to some early, serious mistakes by the police. We'll never know, but I'd bet if the Ramseys didn't have the funds to hire such counsel and were stuck with public defenders with no money for experts, they would have been charged without hesitation.

As for why the GJ in the first place, I think Hunter had to do SOMETHING and didn't think grand jury would actually vote to indict them. Unless the proceedings are unsealed we may never know but it's possible Burke's testimony tipped the scales, something Hunter may not have anticipated.

Since it's related, I screencapped some interesting images from the latest Dateline special, Who Killed JonBenet? They flash some court documents on screen which appear to be the final three pages of the 73 page Grand Jury report.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/22urdz9g7kjsrqw/dateline1.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1umx847dt2kp2ng/dateline2.png?dl=0

Nice work ZoriahNZ.
Transcription (my eyes are getting old, so some words near page crossovers where difficult to read):
Sorry my eyes are getting old, but here is what I read:

Pg. 71

That around 1000 hours, he made a trip to the basement. He noted that the window in the train room was open and that he closed it. He does not bring that to the attention of Det. Arndt, who was the only officer in the residence at that time. Det. Arndt reports that Mr. Ramsey personally tells her that he checked all of the doors and windows that morning.

In his interview of June 1998, he tells investigators that not only did he take a trip to the basement, but he was upstairs, looking through binoculars from Burke’s room, in an attempt to ascertain if the house was being watched. He told investigators at that time that he observed a suspicious car on the street, but did not bring that, nor the open window in the basement to the attention of Det. Arndt.

Security

After the homicide, the Ramsey’s reportedly were heavily concerned with the security issues. This mainly centered around Burke. Ellis Armistead, private investigator for the Ramsey’s, suggested that a private security guard drive Burke to and from school. He reported that Patsy decided that Susan Stine would do that instead. They hired Tracy Temple, with Temple Security. Ms. Temple interviewed and advised investigators that she was hired to sit in her car outside High Peaks Elementary School for two weeks following the homicide. She was unarmed.
After that, the security fell upon volunteer mothers that sat outside Burke’s classroom. They wore alarms around their necks that they were to activate in case of problems. The alarms were wired in the school’s office and secretaries were to call 911.

Conclusion
It is the belief of the investigative team that the evidence and information gathered to date strongly indicates the Ramsey’s have knowledge, involvement, and responsibility for the death of their daughter. The following is a reiteration of the points that head us to that opinion.

1) Prior vaginal trauma

2) The Ramsey note
- The notepad was Patricia Ramseys.
- The sharpie pen with the same ink was found beneath the telephone where Patricia Ramsey made the 911 call.
- Patricia Ramsey cannot be eliminated by the QD examiners as the author.
- The existence of a practice note was found in the same notepad.

Pg 72 Partial Page (cut off at right)

3) Texual analysis and conclusions
- The expert forensic linguist has identified…
- Professor Foster has a perfect record when…
and analysis, including the SBTC acrostic…
exclamation marks, are marked similarities…
of the factors which led him to his conclusion…

4) The pineapple and pineapple bowl
- Not only was there pineapple in the refrig…
on the kitchen table, with Patricia Ramsey…

5) 911 Enhancement-
Burke was awake and in the kitchen at the…
Provided by both John and Patsy Ramsey…

6) Inconsistent statements-
- Burke was not asleep.
- John’s statement about the discovery of Jon…
- The sequencing of the discovery of the …
- The Ramsey’s statements, to three different…
these statements on a later date.
- John Ramsey’s statement to two officer’…
statement.

7) Paintbrush garrotte linked to tray, found…
Although investigators cannot account for…
to strangle Jon Benet, this paintbrush garrott…
the home. The paint on the handle came from…
this was also the instrument that was insert…
that the cellulose in her vagina is similar to…

8) The floor plan of the residence
- it would have been difficult to accomplish…
- the lack of any conclusive point of entry, …
-one would conclude that one would have…

9) Staging aspects of the crime
Investigators met with members of the Child…
1997. A presentation of the case was compl…

The right edge of a third page is shown, but I cannot make out some of the words, but here is what I read:

…care with the blanket and nightgown, the loose ligatures never
…indicative of parental care and involvement.
…minal element the ________, it was not consistent with a “real”
...Ramsey, very complementary of him for such an angry crime. It is
…written by someone who thought that this is what a ransom note
…someone who was writing a note for an actual ransom amount.

…of this type (child killed, left in home, fake ransom note) is the only
…no other case with this M.O. exists.

…early stages of the investigation, the Ramsey’s first attorney, Brian
…retired profiler from the FBI’s Behavioral Science Unit, Mr.
…that he never interviewed Patsy Ramsey and that he was hired to

..injury to the head occurred anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours

…cooperation.

...opportunity.

…the same clothing when she was contacted by police officer’s on the
…were the night before to the White’s.

…Mrs. Ramsey’s jacket.

This is one thing I don't understand. If Burke was not/is not chargeable due to age, how does a True Bill reconcile with that? How can *any* charges be filed if the offender never committed a crime (committed in a legal sense). So why convene a Grand Jury that isn't going anywhere from the git-go?

Very puzzling to me but then I live in a state that has no age limits for offenders committing murder although there are some stipulations for punishment that comes under juvenile offender courts and statutes.

I've thought about this as well, and the only thing I can come up with is that no matter who the unindicted murderer is, the charges against PR and JR were themselves separate charges, and needed to be addressed.

No, the crime hasn't gone away because the perpetrator was too young to be prosecuted. He could have been institutionalized for treatment in case he was a danger to himself or others. Other remedies could have been applied. It is unlikely that John and Patsy would have been convicted - probably their lawyers would have negotiated a plea bargain when they were charged.

I do believe that Alex Hunter knew the entire situation and how convoluted it was, and he didn't have the balls to face it head-on and do anything about it. What a cowardly and useless DA he was. But the GJ did their job.

Nice work ZoriahNZ.
Transcription (my eyes are getting old, so some words near page crossovers where difficult to read):

Pg. 71

That around 1000 hours, he made a trip to the basement. He noted that the window in the train room was open and that he closed it. He does not bring that to the attention of Det. Arndt, who was the only officer in the residence at that time. Det. Arndt reports that Mr. Ramsey personally tells her that he checked all of the doors and windows that morning.

In his interview of June 1998, he tells investigators that not only did he take a trip to the basement, but he was upstairs, looking through binoculars from Burke’s room, in an attempt to ascertain if the house was being watched. He told investigators at that time that he observed a suspicious car on the street, but did not bring that, nor the open window in the basement to the attention of Det. Arndt.

Security

After the homicide, the Ramsey’s reportedly were heavily concerned with the security issues. This mainly centered around Burke. Ellis Armistead, private investigator for the Ramsey’s, suggested that a private security guard drive Burke to and from school. He reported that Patsy decided that Susan Stine would do that instead. They hired Tracy Temple, with Temple Security. Ms. Temple interviewed and advised investigators that she was hired to sit in her car outside High Peaks Elementary School for two weeks following the homicide. She was unarmed.
After that, the security fell upon volunteer mothers that sat outside Burke’s classroom. They wore alarms around their necks that they were to activate in case of problems. The alarms were wired in the school’s office and secretaries were to call 911.

Conclusion
It is the belief of the investigative team that the evidence and information gathered to date strongly indicates the Ramsey’s have knowledge, involvement, and responsibility for the death of their daughter. The following is a reiteration of the points that head us to that opinion.

1) Prior vaginal trauma

2) The Ramsey note
- The notepad was Patricia Ramseys.
- The sharpie pen with the same ink was found beneath the telephone where Patricia Ramsey made the 911 call.
- Patricia Ramsey cannot be eliminated by the QD examiners as the author.
- The existence of a practice note was found in the same notepad.

Pg 72 Partial Page (cut off at right)

3) Texual analysis and conclusions
- The expert forensic linguist has identif…
- Professor Foster has a perfect record wh…
and analysis, including the SBTC acrost…
exclamation marks, are marked similarit…
of the factors which led him to his concl…

4) The pineapple and pineapple bowl
- Not only was there pineapple in the refri…
on the kitchen table, with Patricia Ramsey…

5) 911 Enhancement-
Burke was awake and in the kitchen at the…
Provided by both John and Patsy Ramsey…

6) Inconsistent statements-
- Burke was not asleep.
- John’s statement about the discovery of…
- The sequencing of the discovery of the …
- The Ramsey’s statements, to three differ…
These statements on a later date.
- John Ramsey’s statement to two officer’…
Statement.

7) Paintbrush garrotte linked to tray, foun…
Although investigators cannot account for…
to strangle Jon Benet, this paintbrush garr…
the home. The paint on the handle came fr…
this was also the instrument that was inse…
that the cellulose in her vagina is similar t…

8) The floor plan of the residence
- it would have been difficult to accompli…
- the lack of any conclusive point of entry…
-one would conclude that one would have…

9) Staging aspects of the crime
Investigators met with members of the C…
1997. A presentation of the case was com…

The right edge of a third page is shown, but I cannot make out some of the words, but here is what I read:

…..never
…with a “real”
..angry crime. It is
..a ransom note
..amount

ansom note) is the only

..first attorney, Brian
..cience Unit. Mr.
..he was hired to

..to 2 hours

..officer’s on the
That was a lot of work, thank you so much. I think it's very telling.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305
Back