NY - Karina Vetrano, 30, found murdered, Queens, 2 Aug 2016 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The red is where she was seen on surveillance (the footage that was shown to public)..green is the rest of the route she took and entered park. I'm guessing houses located around the perimeter with surveillance did not caputure. Boyce stated they reviewed tapes from the perimeter of the park and did not see anything...not sure who captured what with this bike gopro stuff. It has me perplexed
ca05a49b4769a5f3d4f61ed2e3a1fa50.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
So then, anyone could have entered and we wouldn't know it?! Why did we spend so much time on entrances from the parkway when there was an easy and obvious entrance from the houses??!!!

So, if I'm understanding correctly, anyone could have entered behind or ahead of Karina from
another road (parallel to where she was caught on surveillance)
and not be seen? That really opens things up and indicates to me this was not a random killing but one where she was seen alone (from the houses?) and the perp purposely went out after her, not having to comb through the weeds to get to the path but could have easily walked, ridden a bike or run on a path to meet or surprise her and kill her?!

Lunancyc83, please advise!!

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

So then, anyone could have entered and we wouldn't know it?! Why did we spend so much time on entrances from the parkway when there was an easy and obvious entrance from the houses??!!!

So, if I'm understanding correctly, anyone could have entered behind or ahead of Karina from
another road (parallel to where she was caught on surveillance)
and not be seen? That really opens things up and indicates to me this was not a random killing but one where she was seen alone (from the houses?) and the perp purposely went out after her, not having to comb through the weeds to get to the path but could have easily walked, ridden a bike or run on a path to meet or surprise her and kill her?!

Lunancyc83, please advise!!

According to LE, since they did not see anyone entering or leaving from surveillance cameras around the perimeter of the park on homes (not everyone has cameras), they believe the perp entered and left from the Belt Pwky/Bike Path

I don't know how far back they viewed cameras from the homes around Spring Creek..hours, days? I would hope days...months if possible. Or other days when she was seen on video jogging, if anyone was seen watching her.

I wish I knew the answer, I wish her family could have some closure. .I'm very curious about this GoPro biker etc.

According to LE, since they did not see anyone entering or leaving from surveillance cameras around the perimeter of the park on homes (not everyone has cameras), they believe the perp entered and left from the Belt Pwky/Bike Path

I don't know how far back they viewed cameras from the homes around Spring Creek..hours, days? I would hope days...months if possible. Or other days when she was seen on video jogging, if anyone was seen watching her.

I wish I knew the answer, I wish her family could have some closure. .I'm very curious about this GoPro biker etc.

From looking at your map, it could have been any # of people along all those houses that could have taken the 83rd entrance without being seen. Maybe it was by someone who knew he wouldn't be seen by camera. And if he waited until dusk to return to one of those homes, his injuries would not have been as obvious. (He did run the risk of bumping into PV, however. Which may be why he threw the phone. He wanted to delay discovery for as long as possible so he could return unnoticed to his house).

Checking for any new MSM news.... nothing to report, but I did see mentioned -

http://www.qchron.com/editions/quee...cle_69e8c8b4-5f77-594d-99a1-3ab6abc4929c.html I noticed the reward is for just an arrest, not for an arrest and conviction -- that's pretty good....
This is the most recent new MSM news posted 10/8- new info from PV about a biker on a bike using GoPro..but LE has not released any info on that.

http://www.ny1.com/nyc/queens/news/...ing-for-answers-more-than-2-months-later.html

Thanks for posting those distances and maps, Forager. This has probably been posted but does it look like the fight initially took place where the earbuds were found and she was dragged to the other side after she died (to hide her in the marsh?)? Or is it possible she broke away and he caught up/killed her on the other side of the path?? The phone is further along, i.e. 87 feet further than she ran? That's too far for a throw and it doesn't look like it KV dropped it during the struggle. Did the killer drop it accidentally or, maybe, on purpose?

Thanks for that post. It's gratifying to see someone using the map to try to figure out the case and you raise good questions. For which I have no answers, I confess. I stick to the mapping because I'd make a rotten detective.

That map is way more valuable than any of my ramblings. :)

It also got me to test those distances at a local football field (my cell phone sucks so any damage requiring me to buy a new one would be welcome). Even with a running start, no "weeds," and no one fighting/biting me, I couldn't match them. So I don't believe the sneaker, the phone or the headphones were thrown - which convinces me the killer came and went via the Beltway (as police say).

If the killer used the bike path to access the Beltway, the crime is opened up exponentially. Add to that Karina's online presence. She's open and free with her emotions and her thoughts. Her blog and instagram could have made anyone feel connected to her. She also traveled widely and had a very active social life. If it was known her father wasn't running with her and if she posted about this even privately on her FB, it could be almost any man.

Thanks for that post. It's gratifying to see someone using the map to try to figure out the case and you raise good questions. For which I have no answers, I confess. I stick to the mapping because I'd make a rotten detective.

If killer did come and go via the beltway it seems likely this crime was premeditated and that Karina was targeted, probably by someone who didn't know her well. If there is no link to the Marcotte case, it will be difficult to solve. If there is a link and this is far from established, then the way to find the killer is via Marcotte.

Hopefully they will find the goPro biker and/or the person who took that shot, if they haven't already.

300K is a lot of money. Why hasn't that made a difference thus far?

If killer did come and go via the beltway it seems likely this crime was premeditated and that Karina was targeted, probably by someone who didn't know her well. If there is no link to the Marcotte case, it will be difficult to solve. If there is a link and this is far from established, then the way to find the killer is via Marcotte.

Hopefully they will find the goPro biker and/or the person who took that shot, if they haven't already.

How do you know that a link between Marcotte and Vetrano is far from being established?

Also, perhaps the killer got rid of the phone and the earbuds in the weeds so people would think that he came from the Parkway. Seems alot of investigation has already gone toward that theory.
A good bait and switch technique, maybe.

^^ Good Question^^^

JMO… I think the information about the REWARD $$ hasn’t been conveyed in a manner that promotes trust. If someone has information about the perp, ideally it would be reported regardless of reward payment. But ‘ideal’ is often not ‘real’.
and Posters and News Articles all differ in describing the reward amount and the circumstances for payment.
Is the reward $235,000? Or is it $300,000?
Is the reward paid for information? For arrest? For arrest and conviction?
I can’t find confirming specifics.

http://a056-crimestoppers.nyc.gov/crimestoppers/public/index.html
NYPD Crime Stoppers
SUBMIT A TIP
Do you have information about a crime?
Provide it anonymously and receive up to $2000 for a tip that leads to an arrest and indictment.

Good questions.

It seems odd to me that in 2 months there has been no story out of the dozens written and aired that states Marcotte's and Vetrano's DNA does or doesn't match. It's possible Boyce means that when he says there is no match in the CODIS database. But in 2 months has no reporter posed this question directly either to the MA or NY police?

My gut instinct is that the killer would take the earbuds and phone with him (after destroying it) rather than throwing them because of DNA. Also, the earbuds were found apart from each other and apart from the cord. I don't see animals or another person doing that, especially in the allotted time. More likely the perp gets the cord around her neck and is going to strangle her but she yanks it hard and it snaps. The earbuds go flying. Later there is no way the killer has time to sort through the weeds in search of that stuff. The phone I'm not sure about - it is possible he dropped it or that he left it intentionally (staging or because he wanted the body found quickly for some reason). I also surmise Boyce may have known this when he gave the interview; the shoe remark on the Crime Watch Daily broadcast is interesting.

The lack of info with the huge reward also implies an organized killer who was able to cover up the crime pretty well to most people.

That's my guesswork, anyway.
How do you know that a link between Marcotte and Vetrano is far from being established

Also, perhaps the killer got rid of the phone and the earbuds in the weeds so people would think that he came from the Parkway. Seems alot of investigation has already gone toward that theory.
A good bait and switch technique, maybe.

How did the father know to look in the weeds right away? Just a hunch? Did they track her phone there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did the father know to look in the weeds right away? Just a hunch? Did they track her phone there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Her phone pinged from that area, and NYPD helicopter was over head and spotted her and hoovered over the spot and the father ran in.

I just have to ask...What is going ON in the world? Makes me want to never leave my house. I'm not a runner by nature, so I know I may not have the perspective that many do, but I will NEVER not EVER run outside. There are other ways to work out which are safer and while I hate that people cannot safely do what they enjoy most, it's gotten out of hand. :shakehead:

Interesting..perp gave up and took phone...black male, scruffy beard....hmmm wonder if they will show the victim police sketch of man LE is looking to talk to in KV case

http://nypost.com/2016/10/11/jogger-sexually-assaulted-while-running-in-central-park/

Yikes! Scary. Not much to go off of from that description, but I found it interesting that he tossed her phone aside.

There will be surveillance footage of this guy in no time, I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave