GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU law professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #4 *Arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Above the Law is widely read by legal academics, many of whom were critical of ATL for early blog posts that suggested W's guilt before the evidence began to mount and while some (many?) of DM's friends were still doubtful of her involvement.
My impression is that Lat has been extremely cautious since then to imagine scenarios in which WA might be innocent.
RBBM. Can you or someone point us to where Lat ever said this?

Here we go.

Why are people against abovethelaw.

They seem to update this case plus add some personal opinion. But imo. The site isn't bad.

I'm with you. I don't get why anyone is against him. He seems to be very fair.

Thanks for contextualizing ATL. I was wondering about Lat's deference to Wendi and the Adelsons in light of all the developments.

Both Sides Now
Joni Mitchell

I've looked at clouds from both sides now
From up and down, and still somehow
It's cloud illusions I recall
I really don't know clouds at all

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_...ing-adelson-family-to-dan-markels-murder.html Tuesday, October 18, 2016 More Details Emerge Linking Adelson Family To Dan Markel's Murder

During her interview with investigators, Adelson worried that her former in-laws would think she had something to do with Markel's death. "The reason I say his parents are going to say I did it is because when we got divorced, I wanted to move to South Florida and I filed a petition to relocate in the court and the court said no," she said in the recorded interview. "So, we're in Tallahassee because of Danny's job." After the judge denied Adelson's request to leave with her children, her mother, Donna Adelson, suggested the family offer Markel $1 million to get him to allow the relocation, according to the warrant signed on Sept. 30. Wendi Adelson refused to go through with that plan, and her mother became "extremely upset," police said in the same report.

JMO, speculation - Is David Lat part of WA defense team? a journalist would care about credibility and he appears to care about defending WA by raising unreasonable doubt.
I enjoy reading AboveTheLaw and Lat’s views on the Markel murder case.

I believe Lat would be described as a ‘columnist’, rather than a ‘journalist’, because he offers commentary and opinions along with the facts.

Markel alleged his children told them their grandmother said she "hated" Markel for "taking her sunshines away from her."

it just occurred to me where DA probably got that line from -

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are grey
You never know, dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away

sick.

Markel alleged his children told them their grandmother said she "hated" Markel for "taking her sunshines away from her."

it just occurred to me where DA probably got that line from -

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are grey
You never know, dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away

sick.
I hate to say it but wasn't that Caylee Anthony's song with her Grandma, too? 😢

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

I hate to say it but wasn't that Caylee Anthony's song with her Grandma, too? 

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

OMG you're right. sad.

[video=youtube;T613YgLw_HE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T613YgLw_HE[/video]

Here we go.

They seem to update this case plus add some personal opinion. But imo. The site isn't bad.

For me, the problem with Lat is that he editorializes the information he's reporting. He couldn't let Demko's quote stand and reminded us that Wendi is known to have odd reactions. After the 20/20 report he denied that LR was in plea talks with LE, and after the confession he suggested that LR was confused about 'the lady' when he implicated Wendi. Most news outlets or bloggers like Caron just relay the information, but ATL attempts to muddle. Instead of coming off impartial, this seems like he’s on the payroll doing defense work.

Here we go.

For me, the problem with Lat is that he editorializes the information he's reporting. He couldn't let Demko's quote stand and reminded us that Wendi is known to have odd reactions. After the 20/20 report he denied that LR was in plea talks with LE, and after the confession he suggested that LR was confused about 'the lady' when he implicated Wendi. Most news outlets or bloggers like Caron just relay the information, but ATL attempts to muddle. Instead of coming off impartial, this seems like he’s on the payroll doing defense work.

RBBM. Can you or someone point us to where Lat ever said this?
In his first long post about the case, he noted a few possible theories, but fleshed out only one, including personal knowledge about the contentiousness of Danny's divorce and even linking to the court docket.
http://abovethelaw.com/2014/07/a-prominent-law-professor-is-shot-at-home-and-killed/

My recollection--and this is purely from memory--is that there was criticism from friends who knew Wendi that he was "going there" too quickly. I don't remember the source of that impression-- whether it was in comments that have since been disabled, comments on Facebook, or just talk among colleagues. Sorry.

And I agree with others that David Lat does not think of himself as a journalist.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I just realized that Saam Zangeneh, SG's attorney, was Derek Medina's (the 'facebook killer") attorney as well. As I recall he was found guilty...

Pot calling the kettle black!
A wealthy dentist with a very supportive family, ( allegedly) talks about going to a " seedy Cuban" neighbourhood to find someone to murder the father of his young nephews.
rbbm.
imo, speculation.
http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_...ing-adelson-family-to-dan-markels-murder.html
"Wendi had reported to me that Charlie had considered all the options possible to take care of this problem," he said. "She said it in a dead serious, chilling, uncomfortable way." When investigators asked Lacasse how he thought Adelson would have committed the murder, he said: "He'd get his buddy in the special forces to do this, or he'd get some seedy guys down in the Cuban neighborhood or something like that." .

No, Lat does not practice law and does not know the As. However, Above the Law is widely read by legal academics, many of whom were critical of ATL for early blog posts that suggested W's guilt before the evidence began to mount and while some (many?) of DM's friends were still doubtful of her involvement. My impression is that Lat has been extremely cautious since then to imagine scenarios in which WA might be innocent.

Lat had met Wendi Adelson through Dan Markel one time in Washington DC. He mentions this in an article posted a few months back. He may not practice law right now, but he has been a federal prosecutor and practiced law for a few firms.

See his bio here: Managing Editor
David Lat
David Lat is the founding editor of Above the Law. Lat’s writing has also appeared in the New York Times, the Washington Post, the New York Observer, Washingtonian magazine, and New York magazine, among other publications. Prior to ATL, David worked as a federal prosecutor in Newark, New Jersey; a litigation associate at Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz, in New York; and a law clerk to Judge Diarmuid F. O’Scannlain, of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. David graduated from Harvard College, magna *advertiser censored* laude and Phi Beta Kappa, and Yale Law School, where he served as book reviews editor of the Yale Law Journal. He has received several awards for his work on ATL, including recognition as an ABA Journal Legal Rebel, a group of innovators within the legal profession, and inclusion as a member of the Fastcase50, “the fifty most interesting, provocative, and courageous leaders in the world of law, scholarship, and legal technology.”

Lat had met Wendi Adelson through Dan Markel one time in Washington DC. He mentions this in an article posted a few months back. He may not practice law right now, but he has been a federal prosecutor and practiced law for a few firms.

See his bio here: Managing Editor
David Lat
David Lat is the founding editor of Above the Law. Lat’s writing has also appeared in the New York Times, the Washington Post, the New York Observer, Washingtonian magazine, and New York magazine, among other publications. Prior to ATL, David worked as a federal prosecutor in Newark, New Jersey; a litigation associate at Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz, in New York; and a law clerk to Judge Diarmuid F. O’Scannlain, of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. David graduated from Harvard College, magna *advertiser censored* laude and Phi Beta Kappa, and Yale Law School, where he served as book reviews editor of the Yale Law Journal. He has received several awards for his work on ATL, including recognition as an ABA Journal Legal Rebel, a group of innovators within the legal profession, and inclusion as a member of the Fastcase50, “the fifty most interesting, provocative, and courageous leaders in the world of law, scholarship, and legal technology.”

http://abovethelaw.com/2016/06/the-murder-of-dan-markel-wendi-adelson-speaks-part-3/
June 9 2016
I met Wendi once briefly when I had coffee with her and Dan at a cafe in D.C. near Dupont Circle. Her self-description — as warm and friendly and smiling, but in an almost autopilot sort of way — is completely consistent with my recollection of her.

here's another real life case that kind of sounds familiar -

Killer Grandma on Snapped!

Grandma Ann Trexler moved to Florida to spend more time with her granddaughter. When the girl’s father decided to move her to Montana, Ann hired a hitman to bring the relocation plan to a dead stop.

When grandmother Ann Trexler relocated to Florida, it wasn’t just to spend her retirement years in the sun. Ann wanted to spend more time with her oldest daughter, Tina, and her six-year-old granddaughter. Tina shared custody of the child with her ex-husband Ron, an arrangement that worked well until “Moms” Ann moved to town. Ann threw herself into her role as grandmother, and resented the child’s closeness with Ron and, especially, Ron’s new wife. In August of 1998, Ron petitioned the court to give him primary custody, telling the court that his ex-wife and her mother were disrupting his daughter’s school and social life, cursing his new wife in front of the child, and their hostility was affecting the girl’s physical and mental health. But the court never had a chance to rule on Ron’s petition. On the morning of October 6, when Ron opened the door to leave for work, a shot rang out. As Ron ran back into the house the shooter followed, shooting him eight times, while his panicked wife called 911 from the bedroom. Before he fled, Ron’s wife heard the shooter say, “This is for her.” Ron bled to death on the kitchen floor, curled up in the fetal position. Investigators believed Ron had been targeted for execution, but when the alibis of the usual suspects – his current wife and his ex – checked out, the investigation stalled. The break in the case came when police found the murder weapon, and traced it back to local hairdresser, Kim Miller – Ann Trexler’s hairdresser. Faced with a murder charge, Kim confessed that Ann had frequently wished aloud that Ron was out of the picture, so Kim hooked her up with someone who could make that wish come true. Using Kim as a go-between, Ann paid a man $10,000 to take Ron out. At her trial, prosecutors used Kim’s confession, bank records showing the money trail, and cell phone records to prove Ann was behind Ron’s murder. The defense claimed Ann was an innocent, church-going grandmother who was being framed by a drug addict working the system to get out of a murder charge. But the jury didn’t buy the innocent grandmother act – they took just two hours to find Ann guilty and sentence her to life in prison.

https://mylifeofcrime.wordpress.com/2008/05/11/killer-grandma-on-snapped/
Maybe KM will get 5 years probation . . .

There are interesting similarities in the 1998 murder-for-hire of the ex-son-in-law of Grandma Ann Trexler.
The go-between got a ‘deal’ of 5 years probation, while the hirer and the hitman both got life in prison.
The go-between was K Miller, who was Grandma Ann’s hairdresser.
K Miller’s boyfriend was A Perez who killed Trexler’s ex-son-in-law.
Trexler paid $10,000 to Miller, which Miller gave to Perez.
Miller, who faced 15 to 30 years in prison if convicted of accessory to murder, agreed to testify against Trexler in exchange for five years probation on a reduced charge of compounding a felony.

http://www.pcnhhalifax.com/archives/article.php?id=53715&q=&bd=2005-01-26&ed=2005-02-01

Maybe KM will get 5 years probation . . .

There are interesting similarities in the 1998 murder-for-hire of the ex-son-in-law of Grandma Ann Trexler.
The go-between got a ‘deal’ of 5 years probation, while the hirer and the hitman both got life in prison.
The go-between was K Miller, who was Grandma Ann’s hairdresser.
K Miller’s boyfriend was A Perez who killed Trexler’s ex-son-in-law.
Trexler paid $10,000 to Miller, which Miller gave to Perez.
Miller, who faced 15 to 30 years in prison if convicted of accessory to murder, agreed to testify against Trexler in exchange for five years probation on a reduced charge of compounding a felony.

http://www.pcnhhalifax.com/archives/article.php?id=53715&q=&bd=2005-01-26&ed=2005-02-01

if KM gets offered 5 years probation i'd be shocked. but maybe that's what her lawyer is negotiating for as we speak and hey - anything is possible. if i was her lawyer, i'd be pointing to this (also FL) case as precedent. but it's not a bad starting place for negotiation for KM. negotiating down from the possible needle to probation - wow. i guess it depends on how much she knows and who she knows it on - and how much the prosecution needs her for a slam dunk on the masterminds. time will tell. i would not want to be the masterminds right now - i would not be able to work, sleep, eat, or do anything but constantly looking over my shoulder waiting for the shoe to drop and knowing that my once wonderful privileged life is now basically F'ed and it's all my own dumb fault. i wonder if any of the case participants look at this thread?

During the past few months, after SG and LR were arrested, CA might have threatened KM.
Example: CA says to KM - If you are arrested and if you snitch on me or any of my family, know that I have already hired a hit on your children. So if I’m arrested, expect your children to die.
What a quandary!
Speculation only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members