Assisted-suicide law prompts insurance company to deny coverage to California woman

Swirlz

Reaction score
A terminally ill woman from California says her insurance company declined to cover a chemotherapy treatment, but offered to pay for her to kill herself, shortly after California passed a law permitting physician-assisted suicide.

Stephanie Packer, a wife and mother of four who was diagnosed with a terminal form of scleroderma, said her insurance company initially indicated it would pay for her to switch to a different chemotherapy drug at the recommendation of her doctors.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/oct/20/assisted-suicide-law-prompts-insurance-company-den/

Doctor-Assisted Suicide Legal in California Starting Thursday
Jun 8, 2016 5:42 pm
The Wall Street Journal
By Jacob Gershman

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2016/06/08/doctor-assisted-suicide-legal-in-california-starting-thursday/

Physician-assisted suicide is about to become legal in the nation’s largest state.

The California End of Life Option Act takes effect on Thursday (June 9, 2016). The law allows terminally ill adults in California with less than six months to live to get a doctor’s prescription for a lethal dose of “aid-in-dying” drugs.​

California Judge Rejects Request to Suspend Assisted Suicide Law
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
August. 27, 2016
The New York Times

SAN DIEGO — “A California judge has rejected a request by physicians to immediately suspend a new state law allowing terminally ill people to end their lives.

Judge Daniel A. Ottolia of Riverside County Superior Court ruled on Friday that the law would remain in effect for now. But he agreed to allow the physicians to pursue their lawsuit claiming that the law lacks safeguards against abuse.

The law, which took effect on June 9, allows terminally ill adults to obtain a prescription for life-ending medication if a doctor has determined they have no more than six months to live.

Supporters of the law have argued that terminally ill people could face prolonged, painful deaths if it is suspended.”

California is one of five states where terminally ill people may legally receive assistance to end their lives. Oregon became the first to provide the option in 1997.

The California law is being challenged by the Life Legal Defense Foundation, the American Academy of Medical Ethics and several physicians.

Opponents of the law say that hastening death is morally wrong, that the law puts all kinds of patients at risk of loved ones’ coercing them to end their lives, and that it could become a way out for people who are not insured or who fear high medical bills.”​

Stephanie Packer in May of 2015 on All Things Considered:

Terminally Ill California Mom Speaks Out Against Assisted Suicide

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-...ornia-mom-speaks-out-against-assisted-suicide

"We're a faith-based family," he says. "God put us here on earth and only God can take us away. And he has a master plan for us, and if suffering is part of that plan, which it seems to be, then so be it."

They also believe if California legislation called SB 128 passes, it would create the potential for abuse. Pressure to end one's life, they fear, could become a dangerous norm, especially in a world defined by high-cost medical care.

Instead of fatal medication, Stephanie says she hopes other terminally ill people consider existing palliative medicine and hospice care.

"Death can be beautiful and peaceful," she says. "It's a natural process that should be allowed to happen on its own." Even, she says, when it poses uncomfortable challenges.”​

Its all politics and religion, imo. Neither of which are allowed to be discussed at Websleuths, thankfully.

I found the original article so misleading because once you read, they didn't offer her assisted suicide instead of chemo. She ASKED THEM if suicide pills were covered. SO totally different.

Big Pharma is poised to lose BILLIONS of dollars when terminally ill people with short life prognosis start choosing to die with dignity instead of being poisoned to death at $$$$ profits.

My beautiful MIL was diagnosed with stage 4 stomach cancer and a prognosis of 2 to 8 months. I was with her when she asked the doctor to give her something to put her out of her misery. Of course he couldn't. Those six months were the worst six months in our families life. This was no young woman with a whole life ahead of her to fight for. This was a tired, sick, beloved Nana that lived a great life and wished not to suffer. Suffer she did. I find the article to be fear mongering.

Please, this is only my opinion based on real life that I have personally experienced. I weep as I write this. I think it's for every single terminally ill patient to choose whether to fight or not.

Peace.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I found the original article so misleading because once you read, they didn't offer her assisted suicide instead of chemo. She ASKED THEM if suicide pills were covered. SO totally different.

Big Pharma is poised to lose BILLIONS of dollars when terminally ill people with short life prognosis start choosing to die with dignity instead of being poisoned to death at $$$$ profits.

My beautiful MIL was diagnosed with stage 4 stomach cancer and a prognosis of 2 to 8 months. I was with her when she asked the doctor to give her something to put her out of her misery. Of course he couldn't. Those six months were the worst six months in our families life. This was no young woman with a whole life ahead of her to fight for. This was a tired, sick, beloved Nana that lived a great life and wished not to suffer. Suffer she did. I find the article to be fear mongering.

Please, this is only my opinion based on real life that I have personally experienced. I weep as I write this. I think it's for every single terminally ill patient to choose whether to fight or not.

Peace.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Much love to you. I'm sorry for your loss

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Hugs to you and peace to your Nana, ninij9

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads