Australia - Warriena Wright, 26, dies in balcony fall, Surfers Paradise, Aug 2014 #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
'Its ostensible subject was rugby’s recent sex scandals, but yesterday’s op-ed by Northland Age editor Peter Jackson seemed more concerned with criticising the sexual behaviour of Warriena Wright, the New Zealander whose death led to xxxxx xxxxxx facing murder charges in a Brisbane court. An appalled Kristina Hard responds.

Yesterday nzherald.co.nz republished a vitriolic screed in which Northland Age editor Peter Jackson – the Canon Media Awards’ Best Editorial Writer for 2015 – castigated the “Tinder generation” for its sexual depravity. Worse, he repeatedly ****-shamed Warriena Wright, the New Zealand woman who fell to her death from a Surfers Paradise apartment balcony, calling her “a willing accomplice” and blaming her for “indulging” in casual sex with a stranger without foreseeing the tragic consequences – that she would lose her life.

This is my letter to Peter Jackson in response – the sentences in italics are quotes from his op-ed.'

Source: In defence of Warriena Wright: an open letter to a ****-shaming newspaper columnist

'Above everything else that emerged from the xxxxx xxxxxx trial in the past weeks, one fact should be *singled out: the death of *Warriena Wright on August 7, 2014 was a tragedy. Her friends and family have lost one of their own and the horror of *reliving that in court is unimaginable.

But there is a pool of other information that has been grouped together in a murky mass and displayed on social media and by news *outlets both here and in New Zealand, Wright’s home country.

She was “drunk”, he was a “playboy” and they were both using Tinder to hook up.

It was a salacious cocktail and the events of their short time together made irresistible news fodder.

The case, in which xxxxxx was acquitted of both murder and manslaughter after Wright fell to her death from his balcony, has attracted *attention and drawn social censure around both parties’ willingness to meet up for a night of no strings sex.'

'A night of consensual, casual sex is simply commonplace, as old as humanity itself.

And moralising about Wright’s death is irrelevant. No night out, casual sex or not, should ever end with the loss of a young person’s life.

Rest in peace, Warriena Wright.
'

Source: xxxxx xxxxxx trial: Casual sex is not a crime

This behavior should not be "normalized" as a safe, fun adult pastime. It's extremely dangerous. By now we all know how deadly it can be. That's not a "moral" judgement. It's a fact.

'Its ostensible subject was rugby’s recent sex scandals, but yesterday’s op-ed by Northland Age editor Peter Jackson seemed more concerned with criticising the sexual behaviour of Warriena Wright, the New Zealander whose death led to xxxxx xxxxxx facing murder charges in a Brisbane court. An appalled Kristina Hard responds.

Yesterday nzherald.co.nz republished a vitriolic screed in which Northland Age editor Peter Jackson – the Canon Media Awards’ Best Editorial Writer for 2015 – castigated the “Tinder generation” for its sexual depravity. Worse, he repeatedly ****-shamed Warriena Wright, the New Zealand woman who fell to her death from a Surfers Paradise apartment balcony, calling her “a willing accomplice” and blaming her for “indulging” in casual sex with a stranger without foreseeing the tragic consequences – that she would lose her life.

This is my letter to Peter Jackson in response – the sentences in italics are quotes from his op-ed.'

Source: In defence of Warriena Wright: an open letter to a ****-shaming newspaper columnist

Oh my, I think Peter Jackson better step out of the dark ages. Fabulous response by Kristina Hard. I hope she emailed it to him!!

Then he was over 5 times the legal limit and was the more intoxicated of the two.

According to their estimations. They were unable to get a proper reading on him - from that night - due to him hiding out for so long.
I have also wondered if any medication that he may have been on (for his social anxiety or whatever) could have affected his result. And, could he have ingested more alcohol while he was hiding out? A sneaky shot or two or three before meeting his lawyer/going to police, to calm his nerves?

As we have heard on the recording, and seen in the CCTV, he certainly did not appear very drunk. No slurring when in the apartment or when speaking with dad on the phone, no wonky walking to get his pizza, clear thought pattern of escape from his apartment and calling his lawyer, clear thought pattern of unscrewing whatever it was he unscrewed before he left the apartment (telescope legs?)
Seems to me that if he was that drunk at the time, there would have been noticeable signs.

ETA: He was also clear-thinking enough to hide the phone containing the recording in that car. He admitted (in his online 'explanation') that he did not offer that to police, they had to find it in a search.

This behavior should not be "normalized" as a safe, fun adult pastime. It's extremely dangerous. By now we all know how deadly it can be. That's not a "moral" judgement. It's a fact.

Yes - true. But how does it differ from the 'old ways' of going home with someone (smashed to the gills) that you have met in a bar that night?
That, too, was/is dangerous .... but many, many people have done it.

I think Katrina Hard's open letter hit the nail on the head.

Thanks SouthAussie for the full explanation, and yes he did not sound that drunk but I was trying to make sense of the many posters saying that she was the more intoxicated and he was getting her plastered while he stayed close to sober.

Yes - true. But how does it differ from the 'old ways' of going home with someone (smashed to the gills) that you have met in a bar that night?

Agree. It was dangerous then, and it's dangerous now. Although now we have a lot more evidence, (AIDS, designer drugs, a wealth of education about the volume and patterns of predators online, that we didn't have back in the day, of how incredibly dangerous it is).

** Plus you can often get a certain "sense" that a person is "off" if you meet at a bar. Tostee was kicked out of most all the clubs on the GC. for that very reason. He was not (as) successful at finding prey, until he hid the *creepy* vibe (somewhat), inside the internet.

Agree. It was dangerous then, and it's dangerous now. Although now we have a lot more evidence, (AIDS, designer drugs, a wealth of education about the volume and patterns of predators online, that we didn't have back in the day, of how incredibly dangerous it is).

** Plus you can often get a certain "sense" that a person is "off" if you meet at a bar. Tostee was kicked out of most all the clubs on the GC. for that very reason. He was not (as) successful at finding prey, until he hid inside the internet.

Yes. You can get a certain sense of someone (if you are not off your face) when meeting them face to face in a bar. Instead of listening to the lies and platitudes that he spouted in his Tinder exchanges, where a person cannot see the look in the eye, read the body language, see how his friends/companions interact with him (or not).

If Warriena had met him in a bar, and stayed there with him for any length of time, a friendly bouncer or patron may have been able to give her the heads-up.

I only wish that Warriena had trusted her gut when she said to Tostee "Please don't be a creepy old perv".
It just goes to show that you should not judge a book by its cover. Inside may be a horror story.

** Plus you can often get a certain "sense" that a person is "off" if you meet at a bar. Tostee was kicked out of most all the clubs on the GC. for that very reason. He was not (as) successful at finding prey, until he hid inside the internet.

IIRC Rrie was pretty quickly hustled off to xxxxxx's apartment. I think the time from their face-to-face meeting to going to his apartment was pretty brief as they only stopped for one quick drink at a bar and to buy a six-pack of beer at a liquor store on the way there. I have a vague memory of the timeframe being 8 minutes but I'm not sure that's correct. Anyway it was brief enough so he could maintain his mask long enough to get her behind a locked fire door. The rest, as they say, is tragedy..

Yes. You can get a certain sense of someone (if you are not off your face) when meeting them face to face in a bar. Instead of listening to the lies and platitudes that he spouted in his Tinder exchanges, where a person cannot see the look in the eye, read the body language, see how his friends/companions interact with him (or not).

If Warriena had met him in a bar, and stayed there with him for any length of time, a friendly bouncer or patron may have been able to give her the heads-up.

I only wish that Warriena had trusted her gut when she said to Tostee "Please don't be a creepy old perv".
It just goes to show that you should not judge a book by its cover. Inside may be a horror story.

I'm certainly glad I'm not a young person in the age of internet dating. There's something to be said for getting to know someone, their friends, their family, their character and values. Even though doing so and developing a long-term relationship can often result in a similar tragedy - Lisa Harnum; for example.

IMO there are lots of factors that resulted in Warriena's tragic death. It would take me a page of this forum to list them all. Right now, I'm just too depleted - physically, emotionally and psychologically, to even attempt that task and explain my reasoning. It's been a difficult week on WS and IRL and I need to regroup.

Anyone who comes into contact with xxxxxx has my sympathy. If this is how I feel as a result of merely being a detached bystander, I can hardly imagine what the effect is on those closest to him; especially his parents.

I think Katrina Hard's open letter hit the nail on the head.

I'm thinking it may be a more attractive way for creeps and sociopaths to find a victim, hiding behind text on a phone device. Yes you'll get them anyway in a bar, but this is like a sweet shop, get one rejection swipe onto the next until you succeed.

Call me old fashioned.

I'm thinking it may be a more attractive way for creeps and sociopaths to find a victim, hiding behind text on a phone device. Yes you'll get them anyway in a bar, but this is like a sweet shop, get one rejection swipe onto the next until you succeed.

Call me old fashioned.

Very true ... keep on swiping until you hit a 'taker'. Bit easier than hitting on every girl in a bar until you find someone who will play. IF you find someone who will play - which apparently Tostee could not do very often on a face to face basis, according to his bodybuilding posts.

Tinder and other online apps have made it easier for predators. And people, men and women, need to be very much on their toes and using every safety precaution if they are going to utilise the app(s).

Call me old fashioned, too. :)

Call me old fashioned.

If you read some of the misc threads he posted on, you can see that's exactly what he did. His true nature was easy to conceal online and able to be 'let out to play' in his apartment once the door was closed and locked.

The girl who left abruptly when he picked her up on the balcony doesn't know how lucky she was but, then again, she hadn't been plied with spirits and was still sober.

Rrie, on the other hand, was like a butterfly trapped in his web. When she tried to escape, he bound her tighter and when he'd sucked the life out of her psychologically he was done. What happened to her after that was of no consequence.

I have a resident spider in my garden. Handsome creature who I've seen do exactly the same thing to its prey. Afterward it simply cuts the threads of its damaged web and the emptied corpse of the insect drops to the ground, forgotten, all the while the spider is repairing its web in anticipation of its next victim.

Gotta go. Heavy bag and swimming pool await. Then it's brunch with my wonderfrul partner - someone who is more than capable; both psychologically and physically of inflicting great pain on others, but instead chooses to cherish and protect anyone or anything more vulnerable than he. :loveyou:

If you read some of the misc threads he posted on, you can see that's exactly what he did. His true nature was easy to conceal online and able to be 'let out to play' in his apartment once the door was closed and locked.

The girl who left abruptly when he picked her up on the balcony doesn't know how lucky she was but, then again, she hadn't been plied with spirits and was still sober.

Rrie, on the other hand, was like a butterfly trapped in his web. When she tried to escape, he bound her tighter and when he'd sucked the life out of her psychologically he was done. What happened to her after that was of no consequence.

I have a resident spider in my garden. Handsome creature who I've seen do exactly the same thing to its prey. Afterward it simply cuts the threads of its damaged web and the emptied corpse of the insect drops to the ground, forgotten, all the while the spider is repairing its web in anticipation of its next victim.

Oh, very good comparison! Nicely put.
And also, your message of self-care is greatly important. All of us souls on this board need tending.

I've been trying to think how dating apps could be made safer for everyone. Perhaps showing how many dates the user has hooked up with might be a start. If I saw anyone with 150/250 dates, or notches on their bed post, I would feel suitably warned.

I've been trying to think how dating apps could be made safer for everyone. Perhaps showing how many dates the user has hooked up with might be a start. If I saw anyone with 150/250 dates, or notches on their bed post, I would feel suitably warned.

That is one HECK of a good idea!!

That's the beauty of an internet forum; a topic can be *closed* for us, anytime we decide it's a waste of our time and effort and stop visiting it. We don't get to decide that for others though, so the topic stays open.

The reason for my query.....The Oscar Pistorius Thread on WS was closed/locked for a while during the latter stages....Then reopened for the final Appeal.....I think it was closed/locked for a few months ??

Then he was over 5 times the legal limit and was the more intoxicated of the two.

I dunno how they possibly "estimate" this, based on a reading of 0. Unless he told them he drank X amount, and nobody questioned it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123