OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) - #22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rhoden family 'angry, hurt, confused' amid Pike County investigation
Wednesday, October 26th 2016, 7:58 am EDT

“

http://www.cleveland19.com/story/33...s-amid-pike-county-investigation?sf39944114=1

Thanks for the link. This interview gives a little more back story to the timeline of events leading to finding KR. Family was blocked from going to the Union Hill crime scene. They assumed KR was at work in Columbus, but wasn't answering his phone. When they called him again around noon, expecting him to be on his lunch break, he still didn't answer, so they called family down on Left Fork and asked them to check on him.

IIRC, KR usually left for work in Columbus around 4:30 am, so they would have expected he was already at work when they first heard of the other murders.

Along with the interview of Hannah Gilley's mom, it seems LE didn't bother to notify any family members about the deaths. Very inconsiderate. They were left to find out through gossip or on the news. It's also odd that so many family members have not been interviewed to any great extent by LE. That's not how you conduct a murder investigation. It sounds like there's been very little communication with family, little or no communication about their surviving grandchildren, no follow up interviews, etc. Very hinky. These people (Hanna G's mom, KR's daughter) are not criminals or suspects. Why are they being treated as if they are?

The way these deaths were handled by LE from the start, in the first hours, indicates they had an idea about why this happened and were doing their best to keep it under wraps. IMO, they may have known who the killers were from the beginning and knew there could be negative consequences for LE. Everything LE has done since then appears to be damage control. JMO.

JMO, they hurt their own case for justice by exposing the warehouse being unguarded to the news.

Maybe, however, if I remember correctly, every door and window, on those trailers were boarded up. I'm not sure whether it was right or wrong to move the trailers, hindsight is 20/20, but unless a the defendant's atty. can prove that someone un-boarded the trailers, entered, and then re-boarded them up, just as they were, I don't see how they can prove that the evidence would have been compromised. They were just as, or more, likely to be entered out in the middle of UHR and Left Fork.

Betty, you gave us more food for thought, which never hurts! I'm beginning to believe that Charlie didn't care for the Rhodens lifestyle, and wasn't caring how extended members were notified about the crime from the very start.

Maybe, however, if I remember correctly, every door and window, on those trailers were boarded up. I'm not sure whether it was right or wrong to move the trailers, hindsight is 20/20, but unless a the defendant's atty. can prove that someone un-boarded the trailers, entered, and then re-boarded them up, just as they were, I don't see how they can prove that the evidence would have been compromised. They were just as, or more, likely to be entered out in the middle of UHR and Left Fork.

Agree. They may still be able to make a case if there is any evidence from those trailers that is used in the trial. In prior interviews, DeWine and Reader have asserted that all the evidence they needed was gathered and moved before the trailers were relocated. It continues to beg the question why the family members aren't allowed to retrieve important information and personal items they need to handle probate, etc.

If the trailers no longer contain relevant evidence, why not let families retrieve any of the remaining items they need? Why not assist the family in getting the documents, etc. they need to probate the estates of the families? This is highly unethical and unprofessional behavior by Reader and DeWine.

A little more confusion for me now. I thought DS was supposed to spend the night with KR and work on cars or something in the morning. His daughter says he should have been at work in Columbus. I guess it doesn't help that I haven't completely believed DS from the start...

That's exactly what D.S. said, and since the others didn't know that KR was supposed to be off work to hang w/D.S. they called KR at work. KR normally left by 4 a.m. to go to work. So, whoever did this had to know that as well. Why call DS and another person to check? I'd have just gone. (That's just me though) That's also not the order of how DS said he found things. Ooops found a tray of pot, better call 911, then went to check on KR.

O/t but;
As far as notifying family members, they had the Manley next of kin there at the scene. Geneva and HHG's mother were the only other ones to be notified, and HHG's mother was called to come there. However, at that point, LE was busy processing evidence, seven dead bodies, and interviewing at least three Manly family members and two tag alongs. That was a major crime scene. I'm sure they planed to call Geneva as soon as they processed the scene, but evidence was the top priority I'd say, and KR had not been found yet.

The one thing I thought of and posted about the mobile homes is that maybe there was something written on the wall of one of them or all of them. I believe all other evidence had long been removed before moving them.

Agree. They may still be able to make a case if there is any evidence from those trailers that is used in the trial. In prior interviews, DeWine and Reader have asserted that all the evidence they needed was gathered and moved before the trailers were relocated. It continues to beg the question why the family members aren't allowed to retrieve important information and personal items they need to handle probate, etc.

If the trailers no longer contain relevant evidence, why not let families retrieve any of the remaining items they need? Why not assist the family in getting the documents, etc. they need to probate the estates of the families? This is highly unethical and unprofessional behavior by Reader and DeWine.

If they let one family member in, then they've opened the gate to let them all in, and it looks a bit to me, like they suspect someone in the family.

If they let one family member in, then they've opened the gate to let them all in, and it looks a bit to me, like they suspect someone in the family.

At this point, they wouldn't necessarily need to let them in. They could send someone in to retrieve the paperwork, personal items, etc. that family are requesting for probate. They could surely find personal photos or photo albums, examine them, and hand them on to family if they're not needed for the case.

From an earlier article about this:

"They aren't handling this professionally," said Lawrence Kobilinsky, a professor of forensic science and chair of the sciences department at John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York. "You have possession of a crime scene, you review, photograph and document and then you turn it back to the owners. They have an ethical and moral obligation to return it together, intact.

"This is crazy. It's not fair. It's not right," he said.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...ourtroom-battle-brewing-rhoden-case/90729690/

IMO, the family needs to get an attorney to take this matter to court. Sounds like a good judge (maybe someone outside the area) could sort through this and find a way to help the families.

As for suspecting someone in the family, they should have enough evidence by now to make their case. Otherwise they would be out there at the trailers every day going through stuff.

At this point, they wouldn't necessarily need to let them in. They could send someone in to retrieve the paperwork, personal items, etc. that family are requesting for probate. They could surely find personal photos or photo albums, examine them, and hand them on to family if they're not needed for the case.

From an earlier article about this:

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...ourtroom-battle-brewing-rhoden-case/90729690/

IMO, the family needs to get an attorney to take this matter to court. Sounds like a good judge (maybe someone outside the area) could sort through this and find a way to help the families.

As for suspecting someone in the family, they should have enough evidence by now to make their case. Otherwise they would be out there at the trailers every day going through stuff.

I can see how that could turn into a problem as well. How would the LE know where pertinent papers are stored? Lockbox keys (if they had them)? Bank statements? If someone came into my house looking for a certain set of papers they'd not know where to look. I would even have trouble getting those things together.

I can see how that could turn into a problem as well. How would the LE know where pertinent papers are stored? Lockbox keys (if they had them)? Bank statements? If someone came into my house looking for a certain set of papers they'd not know where to look. I would even have trouble getting those things together.

It's probably safe to assume they've tossed, turned over and opened everything in those trailers. Everything has been thoroughly searched. They're professionals, trained to do that.

During murder investigations, especially those related to drugs, they will have gone through all their bills, credit card records, bank statements, phone records, business transactions. They probably searched extensively for all paperwork related to the vehicles on the property, financial transactions related to their hobbies, derby, cockfighting, etc.

They know where to find that information. Some of it may not even still be at the trailers. There's no reason they can't provide legal copies of basic information to relatives about bank accounts, insurance, etc.

It breaks my heart to actually now know HG was shot 5 times ( article link above ) , 5 times while her baby was beside her....To me five times is overkill ,I seriously think most of the victims were awake to some point.

The one thing I thought of and posted about the mobile homes is that maybe there was something written on the wall of one of them or all of them. I believe all other evidence had long been removed before moving them.
But, even if something was written on the walls, all LE needs to do is take a video camera in there and get it all on tape. Unless they might be afraid the jurors wouldn't believe it came from one of the crime scenes. But then, tapes have been presented as evidence for around 30 years.

Really has my mind wondering in all directions. Did the killers not only write something on the walls of the trailers, but maybe wrote something in blood? Are the trailers contaminated... like with cocaine all over the place? Are all of the trailers riddled with bullet holes? If I recall correctly, it was said that the trailers were moved in order to preserve some evidence. Sure, photos and video could have been taken of the condition of the trailers, but, in my opinion it would be more dramatic and impressive to me if I were a juror and saw the actual bullet holes and blood in person.

It's probably safe to assume they've tossed, turned over and opened everything in those trailers. Everything has been thoroughly searched. They're professionals, trained to do that.

During murder investigations, especially those related to drugs, they will have gone through all their bills, credit card records, bank statements, phone records, business transactions. They probably searched extensively for all paperwork related to the vehicles on the property, financial transactions related to their hobbies, derby, cockfighting, etc.

They know where to find that information. Some of it may not even still be at the trailers. There's no reason they can't provide legal copies of basic information to relatives about bank accounts, insurance, etc.

That may be true, but I still don't see it as simple as accommodating one person for one need, and then being able to say no to others, who need/want something from the trailers. I mean, really, what paperwork would they need if they don't want the trailers back? Titles to the vehicles? It's kind of the responsibility of each individual to take care of their estate before they pass. A lot of the Rhodens business transactions may not be something LE is ready to release, either. We only know the living family's side of this.

That may be true, but I still don't see it as simple as accommodating one person for one need, and then being able to say no to others, who need/want something from the trailers. I mean, really, what paperwork would they need if they don't want the trailers back? Titles to the vehicles? It's kind of the responsibility of each individual to take care of their estate before they pass. A lot of the Rhodens business transactions may not be something LE is ready to release, either. We only know the living family's side of this.

Not every family is able to do this, knows to do this, or even has the means to do this. It usually falls to those left behind --- I can tell you with absolute certainty this family was not a preplanning group.

Really has my mind wondering in all directions. Did the killers not only write something on the walls of the trailers, but maybe wrote something in blood? Are the trailers contaminated... like with cocaine all over the place? Are all of the trailers riddled with bullet holes? If I recall correctly, it was said that the trailers were moved in order to preserve some evidence. Sure, photos and video could have been taken of the condition of the trailers, but, in my opinion it would be more dramatic and impressive to me if I were a juror and saw the actual bullet holes and blood in person.

And, I can't see them spending all of that money, or wasting their time/effort by moving them, if they were able to remove ALL of the evidence prior to the move. There HAS got to be SOMETHING inside of those homes that LE was not able to remove or physically move to another location... and whatever that may be has got to be so vital to the investigation that it justifies the money spent. Otherwise, they would not have wasted their time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Several years ago, a little boy named Sylar Newton died in a campground in northern AZ. His mom, grandma and two siblings had gone camping. Sylar had found some drugs the mom & grandma had and od'd. His body was held for about 2 years before he was buried. Many were concerned, so I wrote the funeral home asking if money was needed and why he hadn't been buried yet. The director replied, "there is no better evidence than Sylar, himself" in the conviction of his mom.

That's the way I view the holding of the mobile homes. That and it's obvious some family members are under suspicion. jmo

Several years ago, a little boy named Sylar Newton died in a campground in northern AZ. His mom, grandma and two siblings had gone camping. Sylar had found some drugs the mom & grandma had and od'd. His body was held for about 2 years before he was buried. Many were concerned, so I wrote the funeral home asking if money was needed and why he hadn't been buried yet. The director replied, "there is no better evidence than Sylar, himself" in the conviction of his mom.

That's the way I view the holding of the mobile homes. That and it's obvious some family members are under suspicion. jmo

Wow...that's heavy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member