CA CA - East Area Rapist aka The Original Night Stalker 1976-86

Status
Not open for further replies.
This alleged perp in Canada, shares some m/o with EAR, ie face mask, rape with husband and daughter present. imo, fwiw.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/jack-william-kramer-rape-sexual-assault-trial-1.3749912

Chilling details of a brutal rape were read aloud in a Calgary courtroom as Jack William Kramer's sexual assault trial got underway Tuesday morning.

Kramer — who wasn't arrested until 2014 — faces numerous charges including sexual assault with a weapon and forcible confinement.
The alleged victim was the first witness to testify following the prosecutor's opening statement and detailed an hours-long ordeal during which she was raped several times — including once in front of her husband — by a masked man in their home two decades ago.

Attachments

• jack-william-kramer.jpg
    jack-william-kramer.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 291
I am amazed at how many young males, in their late teens to 20's, have been perpetrators of dramatic crimes. EAR/ONS is one. Other examples include John Wilkes Booth (he was 26 when he shot president Lincoln) and Ted Bundy (he was 24 when he assassinated JFK). It seems many of these perpetrators have a sense of invincibility that maybe tied with being young.

I am new to the forum but not new to the case, and just wanted to share this thought I had. Thank you.

Actually, it was Lee Harvey Oswald that got JFK, Charles Bundy didn't start his crime spree until 74' when he was 27.

And those ages technically weren't really young; it used to be common for folks to get married and have kids around 18-21.

I am brand new here and just finished reading this thread. This case is the most haunting thing I have come across! I am constantly reading true crime or watching unsolved cases and nothing has ever truly scared me before. After looking into the case I listened to a podcast, it was the most in-depth thing I could get my hands on at the time, and also read Hunting a Psychopath, I was left so freaked out. I don't understand why there has not been more exposure, this case is far more insane than Zodiac and he got a movie.

I read a couple of things as I was going through the thread that I have wondered about as well, specifically the multiple vehicles. Has it been considered that he had access to a junk yard/salvage/auction lot? I remember reading that when plate numbers were obtained they had at least once led back to a car that had been scrapped if I am recalling correctly.

I am brand new here and just finished reading this thread. This case is the most haunting thing I have come across! I am constantly reading true crime or watching unsolved cases and nothing has ever truly scared me before. After looking into the case I listened to a podcast, it was the most in-depth thing I could get my hands on at the time, and also read Hunting a Psychopath, I was left so freaked out. I don't understand why there has not been more exposure, this case is far more insane than Zodiac and he got a movie.

I read a couple of things as I was going through the thread that I have wondered about as well, specifically the multiple vehicles. Has it been considered that he had access to a junk yard/salvage/auction lot? I remember reading that when plate numbers were obtained they had at least once led back to a car that had been scrapped if I am recalling correctly.

Welcome to Ws amosp!
Although i post and read on many threads here on Ws.this case is possibly the freakiest and scariest one of all.
The recorded phone call by the perp to a victim is off the radar, i could barely even listen to it, truly hoping that one day soon he will be identified.

There are actually at least a half dozen Zodiac inspired movies. Letter writing seems to enhance interest for some reason.

There are actually at least a half dozen Zodiac inspired movies. Letter writing seems to enhance interest for some reason.

I think it was the codes Zodiac used that brought many to the case, not really the letters. One code letter was solved by a teacher, the rest unsolved. Also he wrote to newspapers and threatened to kill children as they got off school buses. That gets attention from the public.

With EAR/ONS the rapes were kept from the public at first. Later many of the crimes/murders were not connected until DNA.

I think there are a LOT of people until recently who knew nothing about ONS. Firstly, there were at least 5, possibly 10 rapists in California in the 70's. Not even people in the community were aware of it.

Second, the reward offered for the capute of EAR/ONS was basically nothing until recently.

Third, we have to remember that in the Zodiac case details were released pretty much as they happened because he sent letters to the media. EAR didn't send letters, he taunted the victims and police through phone calls, much of which were never relased to the public until more recently.

I believe these are the major reasons why the Zodiac was more popular. Many actually believe that EAR did leave clues such as the map, and 6th grade paper (though nobody is sure whether those were left intentionally).

He did send one poem to the media, though. I'm not sure when that was released.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_Night_Stalker#Letters_and_writings
"Excitement's Crave" poem (December 11, 1977)

In December 1977, letters were sent to the editor of the Sacramento Bee, the Sacramento mayor's office and the KVIE 6 TV station titled "Excitement's Crave" written in poem form by an individual claiming to be the East Area Rapist.[SUP][4][/SUP] It should be noted that December 11 is also the same date that a masked man, likely the Original Night Stalker, eluded pursuit by multiple law enforcement personnel after he had apparently alerted authorities by telephone that he would strike on Watt Avenue that night.[SUP][20][/SUP] Though the authenticity of his authorship of the poem has never been proven, it is entirely possible that his successful evasion of the police on that morning inspired him to write it.
'Excitement's Crave'
All those mortal's surviving birth
Upon facing maturity,
Take inventory of their worth
To prevailing society.
Choosing values becomes a task;
Oneself must seek satisfaction.
The selected route will unmask
Character when plans take action.
Accepting some work to perform
At fixed pay, but promise for more,
Is a recognized social norm,
As is decorum, seeking lore.
Achieving while others lifting
Should be cause for deserving fame.
Leisure tempts excitement seeking,
What's right and expected seems tame.
"Jessie James" has been seen by all,
And "Son of Sam" has an author.
Others now feel temptations call.
Sacramento should make an offer.
To make a movie of my life
That will pay for my planned exile.
Just now I' d like to add the wife
Of a Mafia lord to my file.
Your East Area Rapist
And deserving pest.
See you in the press or on T.V.[SUP][4][/SUP][SUP]:p. 304[/SUP]

There should be an entire forum section devoted to this case, not just a single thread. I remember how chilling I found the case when I first heard about it on Cold Case Files back in '01. Now I have read all three books on the case. In my view, "Hot Prowl" is by far the best; it's certainly the most well-written. The other two were authored by detectives who worked on the case, which lends them much more credibility, but they are not nearly as smoothly penned. Shelby's "Hunting a Psychopath", in particular, is riddled with grammatical errors and typos.

I think, of all unsolved cases, this is probably the one I would most like to see wrapped up. Getting this trash off the streets is long overdue.

There is a forum on proboards for this. It also has a few of the victims family members on it. It's quite interesting.

There should be an entire forum section devoted to this case, not just a single thread. I remember how chilling I found the case when I first heard about it on Cold Case Files back in '01. Now I have read all three books on the case. In my view, "Hot Prowl" is by far the best; it's certainly the most well-written. The other two were authored by detectives who worked on the case, which lends them much more credibility, but they are not nearly as smoothly penned. Shelby's "Hunting a Psychopath", in particular, is riddled with grammatical errors and typos.

I think, of all unsolved cases, this is probably the one I would most like to see wrapped up. Getting this trash off the streets is long overdue.

Never knew that "Hot Prowl" actually was a thing, had thought it was just a good title for the book!
http://ucpd.berkeley.edu/hot-prowl-prevention-tips
A “Hot Prowl” is a burglary when a subject enters, or attempts to enter your home while someone is there. A hot prowl burglary is dangerous because of the possible confrontation between the subject and victim
Hot Prowl Prevention Tips

• Keep outside doors locked. Place a dowel or stick in a sliding window or door track. Windows are often much less attended to than doors, so check them throughout the home routinely.
  • Install drapes or blinds on all lower level windows and doors to obscure the visibility of expensive items such as computers, stereos and televisions. Use a caller ID system and screen all phone calls.
  • The outgoing message on your answering device should never indicate that you are not at home. Always use plural nouns even if you live alone.
  • Cut up cartons for TVs, computers, stereos, etc. Tie the pieces together so a burglar going through the garbage does not see any evidence of highly valuable household items.
  • Do not put your name and residential address on your key ring.
  • When service or deliver people come to your door, ask for ID.
  • Never leave notes on your door for delivery people.
  • When traveling, make sure you have someone checking on the house, collecting your mail and newspapers.
  • If you hear or see something suspicious call the police immediately.
  • Contact your local Police Department to determine if they have an emergency phone number for cell phones. Program the emergency number in your phone.
  • Do not post that you are out of town on your social network, i.e., Facebook page.

https://www.amazon.ca/Hot-Prowl-Jack-Gray/dp/0615813054
attachment.php

Attachments

• 51DW8mXLBrL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    51DW8mXLBrL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 213
Has anybody here heard of Michelle McNamara? She was a crime writer and journalist working on the EAR/ONS cases and had giver the killer a new moniker: Golden State Killer. I feel sure she must have been a member here on Websleuths. She mentioned WS and linked to several cases her in her blog: http://www.truecrimediary.com/index.cfm

6 months ago Michelle McNamara died in her sleep. The cause of death has not yet been released by the coroner but apparently attending paramedics and more recently her comedian husband, Patton Oswalt, suggest that it could have been an accidental overdose of Xanax. From what I know about this drug I am surprised at this conclusion. Xanax has a rapid onset and rare occurrences of overdose unless alcohol or other drug contradictions are involved. To be audibly snoring at 9:40am after taking Xanax the night before and to be dead a few hours later is troubling. Perhaps an aneurism? or heart attack? but 6 months later and there's no release from the coroner re: blood tests, PM results etc... A bit sad these lengthy delays. A few commenters on various news sites have mentioned that maybe she was getting too close to the identity of a serial killer...but surely if there was any evidential suggestion of foul play there would be ME results by now ?!?

I have started a thread for her:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ara-April-22-2016-Accidental-overdose-suicide

And here are a couple of links:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/30/ar...ent-again.html
"WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. — Michelle McNamara, a 46-year-old true-crime writer, died chasing a serial killer.
The Golden State Killer, a name she coined while working on a book about him, raped and murdered dozens of victims in the 1970s and ’80s and remains at large. After years of investigative reporting into these unsolved murders, Ms. McNamara believed she was close to tracking him down, and was working long days and nights, her obsessive determination overwhelming her mounting anxiety.
Worried about her health, her husband, the comedian Patton Oswalt, suggested that she take a night to “sleep until you wake up.” It was a phrase they used to describe what could seem like an impossible luxury for the working parents of a 7-year-old girl. So on April 21, Ms. McNamara took some Xanax and went to bed."
http://www.lamag.com/citythinkblog/michelle-mcnamara/
"Michelle McNamara’s Obsession With Unsolved Crime Was Life-Affirming
The late author wrote a riveting story about the Golden State Killer for Los Angeles magazine. That she won’t ever see him identified is another tragic element of her untimely death"

Has anybody here heard of Michelle McNamara? She was a crime writer and journalist working on the EAR/ONS cases and had giver the killer a new moniker: Golden State Killer. I feel sure she must have been a member here on Websleuths. She mentioned WS and linked to several cases her in her blog: http://www.truecrimediary.com/index.cfm

6 months ago Michelle McNamara died in her sleep. The cause of death has not yet been released by the coroner but apparently attending paramedics and more recently her comedian husband, Patton Oswalt, suggest that it could have been an accidental overdose of Xanax. From what I know about this drug I am surprised at this conclusion. Xanax has a rapid onset and rare occurrences of overdose unless alcohol or other drug contradictions are involved. To be audibly snoring at 9:40am after taking Xanax the night before and to be dead a few hours later is troubling. Perhaps an aneurism? or heart attack? but 6 months later and there's no release from the coroner re: blood tests, PM results etc... A bit sad these lengthy delays. A few commenters on various news sites have mentioned that maybe she was getting too close to the identity of a serial killer...but surely if there was any evidential suggestion of foul play there would be ME results by now ?!?

I have started a thread for her:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ara-April-22-2016-Accidental-overdose-suicide

And here are a couple of links:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/30/ar...ent-again.html

http://www.lamag.com/citythinkblog/michelle-mcnamara/

I'm almost certain I came across her on some crime site but I don't remember if it was this one. I'm sorry to hear that she has died. Most other people interested in the case I've talked to didn't care for the Golden State Killer name. I don't know if it's because the older name is too entrenched or if it's because the name is a little bland.

http://www.lamag.com/longform/in-the-footsteps-of-a-killer/
In the Footsteps of a Killer

Fifty rapes. Ten murders. Two identities. One man. From 1976 to 1986, one of the most violent serial criminals in American history terrorized communities throughout California. He was little known, never caught, and might still be out there. Now a determined investigator, a retired detective, and a group of online obsessives are on the hunt to track him down

February 27, 2013 Michelle McNamara
He would rant to his victims about needing money, but he frequently ignored cash, even when it was right in front of him. But he didn’t leave empty-handed. He took items of personal value from those he had violated: engraved wedding bands, driver’s licenses, souvenir coins. The cuff links he stole in Stockton were a slightly unusual 1950s style and monogrammed with the first initial N. From my research I knew that boys’ names beginning with this letter were rare, appearing only once in the top 100 names of the 1930s and ’40s, when the original owner was likely born. The cuff links were a family heirloom belonging to the victim’s husband; they were distinct looking.
I hit the return key on my laptop, expecting nothing. Then a jolt of recognition: There they were, a single image out of the hundreds loading on my laptop screen, the same style as sketched out in the police file I had acquired, with the same initial. They were going for $8 at a vintage store in a small town in Oregon. I bought them immediately, paying $40 for overnight delivery, and went to wake my husband.
“I think I found him,” I said, a little punchy from lack of sleep
rbbm.

Crime News Daily will have an interview with murder victim Cheri Domingo's daughter on Oct 31.

[video=youtube;0hqUvYI5hTk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hqUvYI5hTk[/video]

That program is pretty bad (I've been watching it since it started last year when the Aussie was hosting), but any attention paid to the EAR-ONS case is better than nary. One thing that bothers me tremendously, and it baffles me why they insist on doing it, is the studious avoidance of any mention of dates.
These idiots will often start off a segment with something stupidly vague like, "One September morning..." What the hell use is that to anyone? Details are important. People like us want to know dates, times, specific locations. We want to see as many maps, photos, documents, etc., as can be shown.

Surely a classmate, lover or medical personnel might recognize one of the biggest clues, which ironically, is also a small clue, imo.
rbbm.

http://crimewatchdaily.com/2016/10/31/unsolved-californias-east-area-rapist-remains-at-large/
"What we have to ask ourselves is where the East Area Rapist would be today," said Erika Hutchcraft. "If you look at pure statistics alone, a male of his age, purely statistically, would be alive. We're looking at a male between 5' 8" and 6 feet tall, and we know he probably had light-colored eyes."

"My sweet spot for his age range is 65 to early 70s," said Paul Holes. "I think it's possible he's still in Sacramento."
The clues to his identity are few. He never left a single fingerprint, and none of the surviving victims can provide a physical description of the masked assailant. But there is one very small detail in the case books. and for lack of a better way to say it, the suspect has an "extremely small penis," according to reports from victims.

I made the mistake of listening about 3 this morning and haven't been able to sleep since. The voice is intentionally terrorizing. I could not understand everything said though. Can anyone make out the whole audio? It sounds like a tv is on in the background and maybe the tape is of a retape made at the scene because it also sounds like police radio talk in the background.
The knots he tied remind me of nautical knots. Of course you would learn them in the military too.
And I agree with the poster that mentioned BTK, this guys struck me as similar. I wonder if some of the sexual assaults where done after death. And like BTK he stopped for some reason. Got married? Had a family? Became stable with work? He is not so old he won't start up again. With so many victims this case should be very active still. Hard to believe someone could get away with so many crimes.

What website? Can you link

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What website? Can you link

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to EAR's chilling phone call.
[video=youtube;4jHAA8bndRE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jHAA8bndRE[/video]

FBI link
June 15 2016
https://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/help-us-catch-the-east-area-rapist

If he is still alive, the killer would now be approximately 60 to 75 years old. He is described as a white male, close to six feet tall, with blond or light brown hair and an athletic build. He may have an interest or training in military or law enforcement techniques, and he was proficient with firearms.
Detectives have DNA from multiple crime scenes that can positively link—or eliminate—suspects. This will allow investigators to easily rule out innocent parties with a simple, non-invasive DNA test.

“Just like any homicide investigation,” Belli said, “our lifelines are people who give us information. It all boils down to people helping.” He added that the $50,000 reward could motivate someone to come forward. “It may push somebody over the edge who knows something. It could provide us with that one tip we need.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member