Trial - Ross Harris #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is alive and well inside and outside the courtroom.. JMHO

Confirmation bias, also called confirmatory bias or myside bias,[Note 1] is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms one's preexisting beliefs or hypotheses, while giving disproportionately less consideration to alternative possibilities.[1] It is a type of cognitive bias and a systematic error of inductive reasoning. People display this bias when they gather or remember information selectively, or when they interpret it in a biased way. The effect is stronger for emotionally charged issues and for deeply entrenched beliefs. People also tend to interpret ambiguous evidence as supporting their existing position. Biased search, interpretation and memory have been invoked to explain attitude polarization (when a disagreement becomes more extreme even though the different parties are exposed to the same evidence), belief perseverance (when beliefs persist after the evidence for them is shown to be false), the irrational primacy effect (a greater reliance on information encountered early in a series) and illusory correlation (when people falsely perceive an association between two events or situations).

It's like politics!!! I think once we have a firm opinion on something controversial, it's hard to shake and our perceptions are influenced by our biases. I try hard to see things form all perspectives and use as much logic as possible, but even for attorneys who are used to looking at things dispassionately or from all angles, it can be difficult!

I agree. I feel its particularly true with this case. We know he did it - we just don't know why. Did he honestly forget, or did he leave Cooper on purpose? Whichever way you believe, you can make the facts fit your case.

Just because his wife doesn't believe he did it on purpose, that does not prove that he didn't. He hid a lot of things from her. So many things that she didn't know. He brought strangers home to have sex on the couch. He had relationships with a man. He was paying for sex from hookers. He was sexting minors. I am sure that if you had asked her if he was capable of doing any of the above, she would have said NO WAY.

Yes, that is the heart of the State's case for malice and intent. RH did all those filthy dirty things behind his wife's back, therefore he was capable of killing his son. And what Leanna says about RH can't be believed because she didn't really know him.

I find their case to be smoke and mirrors, and think Leanna knows Ross and what he is and isn't capable of far better than the LE and the State, who have evidenced their bias against both Leanna and Ross from the very beginning.

Interesting tweet. I agree...

LT turning her head to show switching lanes, simple gesture, could make this case IMO. #rossharris

Yes, that is the heart of the State's case for malice and intent. RH did all those filthy dirty things behind his wife's back, therefore he was capable of killing his son. And what Leanna says about RH can't be believed because she didn't really know him.

I find their case to be smoke and mirrors, and think Leanna knows Ross and what he is and isn't capable of far better than the LE and the State, who have evidenced their bias against both Leanna and Ross from the very beginning.

Scott Peterson's in-laws stood by his side for quite awhile. They could not believe he would ever harm his wife and unborn baby. But they did not know about his double life.

He never said that. But when he saw that meme, he clicked on it, and commented on it, reaching out to the author of the meme. He commiserated with her. I think that is revealing, imo.

I don't believe that RH was being totally honest when texting/sexting with these women. JMO

Hi Hope4More,

Before I begin, I just want to preface this by saying that at this point in the trial, I would vote that there is reasonable doubt concerning whether he did it on purpose, even though I do suspect he did.

Something you said above caught my eye. I don't understand why you think Leanna knows Ross and what he is capable of. Clearly she doesn't, unless you think she knew he was having sex with prostitutes as well as men, sexting teenagers and having random hookups. I believe her when she says she didn't. That is the problem with people who lead double lives. If they are capable of this, then what else are they capable of? Not that I think that is a good reason to vote guilty! But certainly lessens any weight I would put on her belief he is innocent. She really doesn't know. But probably is invested in believing that he would never do such a thing. I'm sure it would be devastating to even contemplate.

I don't believe that RH was being totally honest when texting/sexting with these women. JMO

Maybe , maybe not. But his actions speak louder than his words. JMO

Just because his wife doesn't believe he did it on purpose, that does not prove that he didn't. He hid a lot of things from her. So many things that she didn't know. He brought strangers home to have sex on the couch. He had relationships with a man. He was paying for sex from hookers. He was sexting minors. I am sure that if you had asked her if he was capable of doing any of the above, she would have said NO WAY.

All of the things you've listed make me distrustful of RH's honesty in the text messages.

confirmation bias works both ways.

That it does, that is why I try to be open minded. But I have been paying attention what is said on the witness stand and in the courtroom. Hearings and Trial. I care not what anyone else opinion, is. I respect their right to have their own. I prefer to look and form my opinon from the court and not on emotion.

Scott Peterson's in-laws stood by his side for quite awhile. They could not believe he would ever harm his wife and unborn baby. But they did not know about his double life.

It's just not the same thing, imo. Leanna DID know Ross watched *advertiser censored* and was talking to at least one or two women online who weren't her. She DID think it was serious enough to get counseling for both of them. It's not like she had no inkling at all that RH was capable of cheating on her, or that he sexted.

And beyond that, I'm sorry, but we're going to have to agree to disagree that what RH did sexually outside his marriage made him capable of murdering his child. I don't believe it, and I don't think there is one speck of actual evidence that supports that he was.

Probable Cause Hearing 7/3/2014 (there are 3 parts) Part 1.
And remember that LH only spoke to CCPD 6/18/14 and same with RH. We now know LH side of what happened.

[video=youtube;5EjrJZ-a5OQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EjrJZ-a5OQ&list=PLoW1SIeAWaWZPZIYM4Fs-xOzJE5GtLXig[/video]

I agree with that 100%. So we take the talk out of the evidence and look only at his actions I don't see how the State proved malice murder or felony murder. JMO

Stoddard was allowed to actually sit on the court room before he testified. And afterwards too.

Much like Detective Flores, except he sat at the Prosecution table throughout the whole Arias trial.

Quote Originally Posted by RANCH View Post

Depends on what your listening to hear. And why. I didn't follow the case until trial. I didn't come into it with a preconceived guilt. Makes a big difference JMHO

It's just not the same thing, imo. Leanna DID know Ross watched *advertiser censored* and was talking to at least one or two women online who weren't her. She DID think it was serious enough to get counseling for both of them. It's not like she had no inkling at all that RH was capable of cheating on her, or that he sexted.

And beyond that, I'm sorry, but we're going to have to agree to disagree that what RH did sexually outside his marriage made him capable of murdering his child. I don't believe it, and I don't think there is one speck of actual evidence that supports that he was.

She knew almost NOTHING about what he was really doing. What she knew of was just the tip of the dirty iceberg.

How is it any different from Scott Peterson? He wanted freedom and killed his wife and his child. Nobody believed he was capable of anything like that either.

I am not 100% certain that he did murder him in a premeditated fashion. But I do think it is quite possible he did so on the spur of the moment, that morning. That he just decided to zone out, 'forget' and move on with his life, single and care free. I don't think the State has proven it beyond a reasonable doubt, but in my gut I believe it is highly likely.

I agree. I feel its particularly true with this case. We know he did it - we just don't know why. Did he honestly forget, or did he leave Cooper on purpose? Whichever way you believe, you can make the facts fit your case.

Completely agree. That's why I have reasonable doubt regarding intent. I needed the prosecution to leave no other option but for me to believe Ross did it on purpose.

I agree with that 100%. So we take the talk out of the evidence and look only at his actions I don't see how the State proved malice murder or felony murder. JMO

His actions don't seem to jive with accidental circumstances, imo. I don't believe he could forget his baby was there, inches away, by the time he reached the turnoff. I don't believe he could avoid turning his head slightly to the right during that time, to not see him in the seat. I think he was preoccupied with the conversation about needing a break from his family life and that may have affected his actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarti