Todd Kohlhepp - Profile of a Killer?

Was this posted and I just missed it?

“Did he threaten to kill you?”

“Yeah, he was tall enough and big enough that I wasn’t going to take a chance, so I locked him in his bedroom at night and I locked me in my bedroom.”

http://wspa.com/2016/11/11/kohlhepps-mom-talks-about-his-childhood-anger-rape-kidnapping/
"It was a contentious relationship because of everything that was going on around us."

At this moment it seems real tears well up in her eyes. What was going on? Step siblings harming him or step father? Does she feel bad because she didn't stop it?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Also makes me wonder why she thought buying furniture was consolation for rejection when stepfather left him behind. Also seems a bit preoccupied with wealth (him having more cashmere sweaters than her; "made a lot of money at Seven Sons"; "I gave him everything!"). Financial love is never the same as emotional love.

"It was a contentious relationship because of everything that was going on around us."

At this moment it seems real tears well up in her eyes. What was going on? Step siblings harming him or step father? Does she feel bad because she didn't stop it?

I was talking to my husband about the case and the first thing he said was, "What stepfather, boyfriend or other family member was abusing him and his mom knew?! Nobody is born THAT messed up!"

I agree, recognizing his aggressive behaviors at a very early age and not seeking the appropriate help, constitutes child neglect IMO. A 5 year old cannot seek the appropriate intervention. Then at age 12, she had to lock him in his bedroom and herself in hers at night to keep him from killing her. Yet, rather than seek counseling, she sends him off to the bio dad he hasn't seen in 7 years. She had to have known he wasn't going to get the help he needed, but did she care? His temporary visit with his bio dad lasted over 2 1/2 years (up until his arrest) and would've likely continued until he was an adult. She was in no hurry to have him return. I think she excuses his behavior because acknowledging how troubled he was (is) would make her look bad. She couldn't risk being seen as a failure and had to prove her parents wrong. I think there are more catalysts than what we know. I still suspect TK was sexually abused as a child and after watching the interviews and reading the court docs, IMO there was also alcohol abuse. JMO

I think you hit the nail on the head. Her family didn't want her to have children because they were all to familiar with her mental health issues and were concerned.

She literally has never, once in his life, been able to do anything but excuse his behavior. Stabbing people a little bit, gentlemanly rape, killing bullies. She could really excuse anything he does. I feel like her son may have been predisposed to criminal behavior BUT his circumstances and upbringing by both parents sure didn't help him. Narcissist, BPD, bipolar and even sociopaths can lead successful, full and healthy lives without hurting other people if they have the right help and direction for their tendencies at an early age. In my mind this is a form of abuse and neglect in its own way when you can not face your child's issues and excuse their dangerous and out of control behavior. Was and is she so terrified of him that she can not bring herself to actually say he has done something wrong and evil? Does she share a similar personality disorder with him and honestly relate to the way he thinks? Also, how did TK, as a child, get his hands on pistols, knives and shotguns when everyone knew how troubled he was?! Ahhhh, I have so many questions and want to understand how this all happened in this family!

You and me both!
The more she talks the more I question her real motives. Seriously is she getting paid for these interviews?
I want to make a prediction! Within the year she will be on Dr. Phil. :gaah:

She seems disconnected from anything other than the danger he posed to *her... she didn't believe he'd be a danger to others? It's not the 80's anymore, there is hard data on rapists being recidivist, data on psychopaths, disorders, etc. I think she pieced together her son was* in fact duplicitous - his manner of callousness in his written form is evidence enough for anyone. It's also a little odd she seems reciprocal in her manner of addressing him like a child - he's in his 30s! I think she has to talk to him like a child, to get him to cooperate with the investigation. But mentally avoiding to label his negative qualities probably did a lot to contribute to his narcissism.

Previously, she told the judge that she hadn't gotten him *that much* therapy, so I really wish she'd gone into that a bit more. Was it behavioral modification therapy or ... what? Because I don't think she wanted him diagnosed with something back then.

I don't think she gave that girl back then proper recognition anyway. "He walked her home." The rape victim, mind you. These other *parents are bonded to their children, Regina. I wonder if she'd have been able to properly bond to any child, actually...

Also, something she said prior to interviews:
TK spoke to Regina on several occasions, she already knew the biological father left him for days at a time, hence why TK requested to come home... She also stated she knew the father was deeply flawed or the such. I don't know too many mothers that would chance leaving their son alone with a bad father for any* duration of time, so yeah, I think she's pretty disconnected or just gosh darned opposed to making decisions made from emotion. Except emotions can be good, they can direct you from a primal place if you understand and handle them properly - maternal instinct is one of those things.

Edit: I really should have read up thread... I see now there are CERTAINLY more comments from her that prove the enabler theory right. I also missed the part where she skimmed over the fact that he stabbed a girl (slightly, you know).

What did she do about the bullying? Just let it fester? I wonder if she was open to the idea of talking to the teachers or homeschooling, if available. Either way, she's right about one thing, he needed supervision.

Court docs show that she held TK responsible for a lot of trouble in the marriage. But in the interview, she also states that her husband and his ex had been putting each other in and out of jail. She seemed surprised that her husband's ex picked up her step children from school, as though she was not allowed to.

I must say that I'm incredibly impressed by all these different minds coming together to profile not only Todd but also his mother Regina. You can feel free to ignore everything I'm about to type out, but since I'm a newbie here and I am really inspired to throw my hat into the ring with the profilers on this site, I'm going to type it out anyways! Enjoy if you decide to read.

Todd:
First reading the transcript from his juvenile Transfer Hearing, I originally would've classified Todd Kohlhepp as a psychopath. That seems like a severely lacking conclusion, seeing as most people generally call people who commit crimes of his nature 'psychos' and the like, but two key things stuck out to me:
1) The attack on the woman in 1986 reveals that Todd is both selfish, power-hungry and gives little regard to the consequences of his actions.
2) Todd tested to be quite intelligent. One of the traits that marks psychopathy out in regards to mental illness is the heightened intelligence of those suffering from it.
Todd also is said to be extremely manipulative, getting others angry at him intentionally in order to gain control over his environment. Psychopaths are notorious for their need to have control, whether it be in a small way or another. In fact, Todd's behavior is quite reminiscent to me of Richard Kuklinski, or "The Ice Man," as some of you may know.
It was the similarities to Richard Kuklinski that originally got me thinking about my initial diagnosis of psychopathy. That's when I remembered that Kuklinski suffered from paranoid personality disorder (PPD), which I think not only perfectly fits the juvenile case but the Superbike murders as well.
Paranoid personality disorder bears, along with others, the following symptoms (Taken from http://psychcentral.com/disorders/paranoid-personality-disorder-symptoms/):

• Suspects, without sufficient basis, that others are exploiting, harming, or deceiving him or her
  • Is preoccupied with unjustified doubts about the loyalty or trustworthiness of friends or associates
  • Is reluctant to confide in others because of unwarranted fear that the information will be used maliciously against him or her
  • Reads hidden demeaning or threatening meanings into benign remarks or events
  • Persistently bears grudges (i.e., is unforgiving of insults, injuries, or slights)
  • Perceives attacks on his or her character or reputation that are not apparent to others, and is quick to react angrily or to counterattack.
  • Has recurrent suspicions, without justification, regarding fidelity of spouse or sexual partner
In the Superbike incident, it's cited that the main motivation for Kohlhepp's slaughter of the employees was them laughing about him falling off the motorcycle. Someone who already has distinct difficulties maintaining their self image, compounded by how much his mother fed that fire by basically assuring him that he was never ever in the wrong (one can assume since early childhood), would absolutely lead him to do something like this.
But then I found myself thinking: "Ursa, why did he sexually assault that woman when he was 15? Surely he would've just killed her, right?" I was confused as to his motivations. Then, however, it hit me:
Young man, paranoid personality, struggling with self esteem and at the peak of puberty. In the psych eval it was stated how hard it was for him to socially interact, so I think it goes without saying that he probably never had much luck with women. If his main mode of operation in social situations was to get other people pissed off or manipulate them, that doesn't exactly lead to a successful sex life, let alone romantic. Being rejected by women around him would've been the exact spark his mind needed to fuel a fire. He attacked her because it made him feel powerful, reasserted his dominance, and assured his fragile ego that he was in control. He craves that control, because his paranoid state of mind won't allow him to rest until he is.
Therefore, my final diagnosis: Paranoid Personality Disorder
Alrighty! Opinion profile now over. Have a great night everyone!

Agreed, and all the shoes she had to buy him because he was throwing them in the creek. Could they not be retrieved and washed? I get the feeling he was reprimanded in one way or another just by the way she tells the stories. Killing his stepbrother's mouse could not have gone over well. TK may have been able to manipulate his mother, but I don't see a man of the house putting up with the little demon.

Also makes me wonder why she thought buying furniture was consolation for rejection when stepfather left him behind. Also seems a bit preoccupied with wealth (him having more cashmere sweaters than her; "made a lot of money at Seven Sons"; "I gave him everything!"). Financial love is never the same as emotional love.

Court docs show that she held TK responsible for a lot of trouble in the marriage. But in the interview, she also states that her husband and his ex had been putting each other in and out of jail. She seemed surprised that her husband's ex picked up her step children from school, as though she was not allowed to.

I had a feeling that TK at least had a valid reason for disliking the stepfather...

I'm not sure she was prepared for the interviewer having accessed TK's court docs and psych history. She was trying to recall what she said previously either to the courts or current LE to keep her stories straight. I do wish she would've (honestly) finished the story about going over to his house for dinner and the placemats and IIRC jambalaya that was too spicy. Something happened when she spit that bite out. I don't believe for a second that he wasn't offended and just got her something else to eat. But she caught herself.

I found it odd when she responded (after a really long awkward pause trying to recollect sequence of HER events)..."I don't want to lie"...hmm not "I don't want to make a mistake"; "don't want to be wrong"...no she was pretty concerned with "not lying".

Not sure one would be lying if they just can't recall sequence of events but it was pretty important to her not to be seen as a liar.

Also she mentioned Missouri so many times...is that her way of leading investigation?

I know it was a pretty detailed story leading somewhere...not just a can of beans!

Agreed, and all the shoes she had to buy him because he was throwing them in the creek. Could they not be retrieved and washed? I get the feeling he was reprimanded in one way or another just by the way she tells the stories. Killing his stepbrother's mouse could not have gone over well. TK may have been able to manipulate his mother, but I don't see a man of the house putting up with the little demon.

Where was this information? On a video I may have missed?

I agree, recognizing his aggressive behaviors at a very early age and not seeking the appropriate help, constitutes child neglect IMO. A 5 year old cannot seek the appropriate intervention. Then at age 12, she had to lock him in his bedroom and herself in hers at night to keep him from killing her. Yet, rather than seek counseling, she sends him off to the bio dad he hasn't seen in 7 years. She had to have known he wasn't going to get the help he needed, but did she care? His temporary visit with his bio dad lasted over 2 1/2 years (up until his arrest) and would've likely continued until he was an adult. She was in no hurry to have him return. I think she excuses his behavior because acknowledging how troubled he was (is) would make her look bad. She couldn't risk being seen as a failure and had to prove her parents wrong. I think there are more catalysts than what we know. I still suspect TK was sexually abused as a child and after watching the interviews and reading the court docs, IMO there was also alcohol abuse. JMO
Alcohol abuse by the mom?
I agree with that and possibly drugs by both mom and dad. Remember she sent him to his bio dads so she could get herself together? What exactly did she need to get together?
This may be why TK seems to have issues with others using drugs. Vigilante.
He actually falls into too many categories. He's a different breed and it's frightening!

She seems disconnected from anything other than the danger he posed to *her... she didn't believe he'd be a danger to others? It's not the 80's anymore, there is hard data on rapists being recidivist, data on psychopaths, disorders, etc. I think she pieced together her son was* in fact duplicitous - his manner of callousness in his written form is evidence enough for anyone. It's also a little odd she seems reciprocal in her manner of addressing him like a child - he's in his 30s! I think she has to talk to him like a child, to get him to cooperate with the investigation. But mentally avoiding to label his negative qualities probably did a lot to contribute to his narcissism.

Previously, she told the judge that she hadn't gotten him *that much* therapy, so I really wish she'd gone into that a bit more. Was it behavioral modification therapy or ... what? Because I don't think she wanted him diagnosed with something back then.

I don't think she gave that girl back then proper recognition anyway. "He walked her home." The rape victim, mind you. These other *parents are bonded to their children, Regina. I wonder if she'd have been able to properly bond to any child, actually...

Also, something she said prior to interviews:
TK spoke to Regina on several occasions, she already knew the biological father left him for days at a time, hence why TK requested to come home... She also stated she knew the father was deeply flawed or the such. I don't know too many mothers that would chance leaving their son alone with a bad father for any* duration of time, so yeah, I think she's pretty disconnected or just gosh darned opposed to making decisions made from emotion. Except emotions can be good, they can direct you from a primal place if you understand and handle them properly - maternal instinct is one of those things.

Edit: I really should have read up thread... I see now there are CERTAINLY more comments from her that prove the enabler theory right. I also missed the part where she skimmed over the fact that he stabbed a girl (slightly, you know).

What did she do about the bullying? Just let it fester? I wonder if she was open to the idea of talking to the teachers or homeschooling, if available. Either way, she's right about one thing, he needed supervision.
I'm afraid that him wanting to come home has nothing to do with being left alone.
I think he enjoyed being alone honestly. He could do as he pleased. As the neighbors said.
I think he wanted to come home because maybe he was abusive to him mentally, physically, and sexually. JMOO
BUT that is the only reason I think he would want to come home. That would be something that he couldn't tolerate at all.
His mama is just as sick as he is imho. I almost dread listening to her full interview! :sick:

I must say that I'm incredibly impressed by all these different minds coming together to profile not only Todd but also his mother Regina. You can feel free to ignore everything I'm about to type out, but since I'm a newbie here and I am really inspired to throw my hat into the ring with the profilers on this site, I'm going to type it out anyways! Enjoy if you decide to read.

Todd:
First reading the transcript from his juvenile Transfer Hearing, I originally would've classified Todd Kohlhepp as a psychopath. That seems like a severely lacking conclusion, seeing as most people generally call people who commit crimes of his nature 'psychos' and the like, but two key things stuck out to me:
1) The attack on the woman in 1986 reveals that Todd is both selfish, power-hungry and gives little regard to the consequences of his actions.
2) Todd tested to be quite intelligent. One of the traits that marks psychopathy out in regards to mental illness is the heightened intelligence of those suffering from it.
Todd also is said to be extremely manipulative, getting others angry at him intentionally in order to gain control over his environment. Psychopaths are notorious for their need to have control, whether it be in a small way or another. In fact, Todd's behavior is quite reminiscent to me of Richard Kuklinski, or "The Ice Man," as some of you may know.
It was the similarities to Richard Kuklinski that originally got me thinking about my initial diagnosis of psychopathy. That's when I remembered that Kuklinski suffered from paranoid personality disorder (PPD), which I think not only perfectly fits the juvenile case but the Superbike murders as well.
Paranoid personality disorder bears, along with others, the following symptoms (Taken from http://psychcentral.com/disorders/paranoid-personality-disorder-symptoms/):

• Suspects, without sufficient basis, that others are exploiting, harming, or deceiving him or her
  • Is preoccupied with unjustified doubts about the loyalty or trustworthiness of friends or associates
  • Is reluctant to confide in others because of unwarranted fear that the information will be used maliciously against him or her
  • Reads hidden demeaning or threatening meanings into benign remarks or events
  • Persistently bears grudges (i.e., is unforgiving of insults, injuries, or slights)
  • Perceives attacks on his or her character or reputation that are not apparent to others, and is quick to react angrily or to counterattack.
  • Has recurrent suspicions, without justification, regarding fidelity of spouse or sexual partner
In the Superbike incident, it's cited that the main motivation for Kohlhepp's slaughter of the employees was them laughing about him falling off the motorcycle. Someone who already has distinct difficulties maintaining their self image, compounded by how much his mother fed that fire by basically assuring him that he was never ever in the wrong (one can assume since early childhood), would absolutely lead him to do something like this.
But then I found myself thinking: "Ursa, why did he sexually assault that woman when he was 15? Surely he would've just killed her, right?" I was confused as to his motivations. Then, however, it hit me:
Young man, paranoid personality, struggling with self esteem and at the peak of puberty. In the psych eval it was stated how hard it was for him to socially interact, so I think it goes without saying that he probably never had much luck with women. If his main mode of operation in social situations was to get other people pissed off or manipulate them, that doesn't exactly lead to a successful sex life, let alone romantic. Being rejected by women around him would've been the exact spark his mind needed to fuel a fire. He attacked her because it made him feel powerful, reasserted his dominance, and assured his fragile ego that he was in control. He craves that control, because his paranoid state of mind won't allow him to rest until he is.
Therefore, my final diagnosis: Paranoid Personality Disorder
Alrighty! Opinion profile now over. Have a great night everyone!
Well done! and WELCOME!!!!

“I had to get rid of the anger and nothing I did seemed to help,” Tague said. So she shipped him off to live with his bio dad after divorcing his adoptive dad. IMO, she chose another man and his children over her own son. They were younger and probably required more attention. Yet, the mother of her step children is responsible for making him feel unwanted because she didn't pick him up from school, too.
“He stabbed her in the leg, not much, it didn’t go deep." He stabbed her!! Can she please stop minimizing the attacks on his victims? I don't believe she is that gullible that she just believes what he tells her. She is intentionally trying to portray HIM as the victim, bullied and abused and that's why he acted out. Did she really believe him when he said the reason KB was chained like a dog in the shed was because he didn't know what to do with her since she hadn't done anything wrong? Like he wasn't abusing her and planning to kill her, too?
She says there were many attempts at counseling. According to court docs, only 2 attempts - 1 for 3 months and the other for 8 weeks. She failed him. Her parents didn't even want her to have children. Wonder why? Maybe they knew she was a narcissist incapable of raising a child (let alone 3). Although, she did sacrifice those cashmere sweaters. I'm gonna need more wine before I watch any more of her interviews.

BBM

wspa.com/2016/11/11/kohlhepps-mom-talks-about-hiShe says there were many attempts at counseling.s-childhood-anger-rape-kidnapping/

I'm back with another Pee Wee Gaskins comparison! (I swear I'm not looking for them.) He, too, had a mother who jumped from boyfriend to boyfriend when he was very young. He was often beaten by his mother's boyfriends, and she always made excuses for them. (Sound familiar?)

Gaskins' real name was Donald but one of his mom's bounty of men nicknamed him Pee Wee to mock him because of his small size and it stuck with him. The neglect he suffered as a child may be one of the worst cases I've ever heard. In fact, he didn't know what his real name even WAS until he heard the judge say it in the courtroom after his first arrest. He was neglected to such an extent that he was a TEENAGER before he knew his own name!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a feeling that TK at least had a valid reason for disliking the stepfather...
I wonder if the reason he didn't like his stepfather is because his stepfather saw him for who he truly was.
His step father wasn't going to let him have his way.
Maybe that's why TK kept breaking up their marriage. Mom protected and excused his behavior and the
stepfather didn't and refused to. Mom takes TK's side every time.
I have a feeling the step father has a huge story to tell. I'd love to hear from him!

Yes and could explain why her parents did not want her to have any children.

Alcohol abuse by the mom?
I agree with that and possibly drugs by both mom and dad. Remember she sent him to his bio dads so she could get herself together? What exactly did she need to get together?
This may be why TK seems to have issues with others using drugs. Vigilante.
He actually falls into too many categories. He's a different breed and it's frightening!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back