Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
then the texts would go on an on and on... question asked, question answered. Conversation finished until new question or comment arises.
Another oddity. I understand why husband did not return Sherri's text for 3 hours - he does not take his personal cell inside customer's homes. But why did she not return his text? And why did he not find that odd? He texted her at 1:30ish and she never responded. And he obviously did not find that odd because 4 hours after he texted her, he expected her and the children to greet him at the door with a hug. I would find it very odd indeed if my stay at home partner did not return a text for more than 4 hours. Especially if this couple is as close as two peas in a pod, according to him and his family. Why the heck would she not return a text sent 4 hours before he returned home? If it's because she was abducted during that time, why did he not become alarmed much, much sooner? If that was the norm, then I delicately suggest perhaps this couple was not as close as the perfect photos suggest.

Personally, I'd be pissed or alarmed if my partner did not return my text, unless that was a habit. And if it was a habit, one wonders why.

One thing that caught my ear as far as this being a voluntary disappearance was the husband said of her "show up at MY house." It was/is their home, not just his. Especially if she's an involuntary SAHM who became that due to losing her job, she could have been real depressed.

Saying "my" when it should be "our" can also be an idiosyncrasy. My husband has done this for the entire 50 years we've been married. I call him out on it almost every time because it irritates me (hoping he'll stop...Ha!), but he doesn't even realize he's said it, nor does he mean it. We've always shared everything. I hear many women refer to "my children" in their husband's presence when it should really be "our" children IMO. Or husbands referring to "my car" when it's the family car. Maybe there's some deep sinister psychological stuff going on, but I think it's usually just an unfortunate speech pattern...unless there are controlling actions to indicate otherwise.
JMO

Were Sherri's sister-in-law and Tera Smith best friends in high school? I stumbled upon a few things on SM acknowledging such. Has anything been mentioned in MSM about it?

Well. After taking a (far too) long look at her Pinterest, which perhaps her loved ones have done, IMO, I no longer see this as a definite abduction. Perhaps. I thought so before, but now I am equivocating.

All along, I also never suspected that the husband caused her disappearance/murdered her. Overall, I assumed it was a horrible wrong place, wrong time tragedy. Like many of us, after reading she had no mental or physical health problems, I didn't focus on suicide or that she willingly vanished. I should have been wiser, and not taken LE's or the media's word that she didn't have health concerns. That is a private issue, and there is no reason that any of us should bank on that. People may hide their own - or a loved one's issues, or they may diminish them.

I don't follow as many cases as my fellow readers and posters, but I have read here about a few women who up and left their seemingly happy lives, or else hurt themselves to everyone's shock. The "she'd never do that" type of woman. People have said this about Sherri since day one, including all those closest to her. Of course, I do not know enough to connect Sherri with these disappearances.

If - and that is a big if - someone is involved, IMO she loosely knew the person. I do not think she left to have an affair, but her disappearance could involve someone that she saw as a friend and trusted (male or female) who was not as perceived. But, I'm not comfortable with that possibility, either. IMO, though, I do see a naive quality in her that some jerk could have honed in on.

So, I don't know what to say. We all know that some try hard to project an image of themselves/their lives that isn't fully representative of the real thing. They are happy, and do love their families, but may feel lost when it comes to themselves.

I guess Stepford Wife is one way to look at it, and if you browse more, you may see that theme resonates far past her alter-ego board.

In a way I felt badly browsing because it appears her Pinterest means a lot to her, and in some ways defined who she was, and perhaps who she wished to be. But, I think it tells a lot. IMO, I see secret sorrow, longing and some emptiness.

IMO, women should never, ever be labeled supermom, lest it becomes their entire identity. Even a woman who loves her children and spouse/partner at the deepest level possible cannot live with that expectation. Ugh, the pressure! She is a person apart from those she birthed. Of course, many women in the US have seized their own power and found a way to step out from a particular template, even if it's one they chose - and some of the time, remain happy and safe staying within. They balance, somehow. Others stay silent because they don't know what else to do, or - for whatever reason - don't feel they can have a life independent from wife and mommy.

Maybe it's guilt, maybe others resent this - husbands, families and friends, including women. I tend to forget that people still feel this way about women, and that women feel this way about themselves. I am probably too well educated for my own good, and have my own set of issues with having too much independence and "separateness." My life is often isolating. I look at women like Sherri who appear to have such a sweet, pretty life, and I experience my own cravings, and consider my own choices.

In closing, I want to make clear that I am speaking only from my heart and soul. I do not know Sherri at all and do not know anything specific. My comments are based upon impressions only.

I think those who love her are truly devastated right now, especially if they feel they overlooked or "peeshawed" some of her needs and wants.

My heart would be full if she is still with all of us. She looks like a ray of sunshine to those around her, and her kids need their mom.I am trying to remain positive.

ALL IMO and I can't say that enough here!

Bless his heart, that man is in pain and doing his best to believe things will work out. Did you see that little chin set right at the end? Broke my heart. His words are nothing to worry about, I agree. I want him to have his wife back and get out of this nightmare.
I, and a lot of other people, can alternate between saying MY house and OUR house... MY kids and OUR kids, etc. Also nothing to worry about IMO.

I don't know, I think that putting her two kids in daycare (ages 2 and 4) is certainly indicative of a woman who is overwhelmed and depressed...

How could they possibly afford that when her husband worked (essentially) a minimum wage job?

It's not like her husband was a doctor or a dentist and she could afford to have that luxury.

I just find the daycare thing odd..esp with so much family in the area. From what I can determine, she seems quite "isolated" if she felt that she needed to put her two kids in daycare to get a break.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Geek-Squad-Salaries-E307701.htm

But Redding is a very economically depressed area. They aren't hurting for workers. When I lived there, someone told me "Redding has a glut of both skilled and unskilled workers." They don't have to pay people more, since there's tons of unemployed people (supply and demand!)

and on her poshmark ? page (one of her websites she was selling things.) she is selling a MAC shopping bad for $3. Who doesn't just throw that away? I don't think that he (the husband) would even work 40 hrs/week at a job like that...someone else commented that this would be a slow time for a job like that - before Black Friday, and all. I wouldn't underestimate the stress of *not having money*

He had a minimum wage job? How do you know that? Their neighborhood they lived in seems pretty nice, kids nicely dressed, both nicely dressed and expensively groomed (they look perfectly coiffed and manicured, which is not cheap), and money to take professional family photos outside. Where is it coming from that the guy is a minimum wage worker?

And why would he only work in Redding? This guy drives around in his work. Wouldn;t he go all over the county? And maybe to other areas as well?

Oh, thanks! Man, I didn't know that! Back to square one on the time thing then I guess!

Respectfully, I put my kids in daycare when I was a sahm. I was neither overwhelmed nor depressed, so your comment is not true of all sahm. There are many reasons we chose to do this on a part time basis, but non were related to mental health. There were many other children of sahms where my children attended. My neighbor owns a local preschool/p-t daycare center, and told me today that half of her 'students' come from families with a sahm.
I think it's offensive to state it 'is certainly indicative of a woman who is overwhelmed and depressed., because she made this choice.

Yeah you know I posted a few days ago that as a family law attorney, I have never ever seen one separating family that used daycare when one parent stayed at home as the cost is too prohibitive on one income. But that does NOT include preschool, which many parents put their kids in at age 3-4. It also doesn't include a couple hours of childcare of a few times a week so mom or dad can get stuff done. Now if she had her kids in daily daycare, all day, especially the little one who is two, that would be odd to me.

Installing high-end theater systems, in economically depressed Redding?

Honestly: How much of a demand is there for that? That's not a 40/hr week job.

He couldn't make more than $20/hr... With a wife and two kids at home, that's *tight* economically.

Yes he could. I will try to attach.

Well,I talked to my sister, she has two kids *about* the same age...she agreed with me that it was highly unusual to put them in all day "daycare" esp if your husband is not a doctor or lawyer or something...Let's not forget, her husband worked a rather menial job in an area where there's very high unemployment (jobs don't pay a lot --supply & demand) They have two cars, which can be expensive, and they don't even own a home.

My sister's kids are about the same age, 2 and 5.

How do we know the kids went to all day daycare? Or that they went everyday? Maybe she was going to pick them up after her run?

The kids were NOT in full time daycare. They went to a pre school for a few hours a few times per week.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

How do we know this?

Am I the only one who finds it strange that we have not heard a word from Sherri's family (other than her sister) nor a word from her close friends. Where are her parents? Friends? Siblings? Even the reward is coming from her husband's family. The Find Sherri Facebook and search efforts are also being driven by her husband's family. Where is hers?

Aww. Greiving maybe? Too distraught to speak out? I rememeber so many families over the years we've looked at in disappearances who failed to enagge with the media, who had nothing to do with their loved one's disappearance. One that really stood out to me was little Emmett Trapp's mother who was contacted by the Nancy Grace show when he was missing and said "please, do not do a story about my son." That seemes suspicious. In fact, he had wandered out of the house and after wandering for hours, succummed to elements. They tracked his little footprints. So sad.

It kind of seems your damned if you do and damned if you don't. Shaniya Davis' dad was very visbile and emotional and he was accused by many on here of being involved even though he was totally innocent. Elizabeth Smart's dad spoke out quite a bit and was accused by many on here of being too wooden and strange. He was highly suspected. And oh my gosh, poor strong and fierce and angry Somer Thompson's mom. She was also accused on here by some of being involved in her precious daughte'rs disappearance.

I really feel sad about speculating or criticizing innocent people who are suffering unless they are doing something concretely disturbing or suspicious.

Husbands statements really bug me:
“If she is listening I want to say, ‘We are trying, we are trying the best we can and I am sorry I’m not there,’” Keith Papini told KRCR-TV. “I’m coming honey. I am trying, I’m doing everything I can and I love you.”

I;m hvaing a hard time undertandiong why those statements are wrong? She's not here. She's "there" wherever that may be. Wherever it is, I;m sure her husband wishes he could be there, rescuing her and protecting her from evil.

Not everyone likes to be out front. I think it's smart to appoint certain people as a public spokesperson for the family. You need only to look at Sherri's Moms Facebook Page to know she is distraught beyond measure and would do anything to get her back.

Bravo. Thank you.

Something is wrong with this picture. IF I get home and my hubby is not there but his car is parked, my first thought would be: car trouble(no missing person or abduction!). Then I will proceed to call and text. Will call kids school or day care to check on their status, husband relatives, his/mine besties, neighbors (if friends with them) and a few of his colleagues.

After failed attempts I would go in full panic and will call police. Would drive around looking for him, etc, calling his name.
...but that's me.

Things that doesn't makes sense:
why tracking her phone before calling friends/family/etc?
why go to tracked phone location without family or friends? (they would have help searching for her or assisting in case of emergency)
why didn't call police from location?
why so willing to bypass warrants?
why offering to take a poly? (yes, I read that HE offered)
Yes, I know he PASSED. Yes, I know people can trick them.
why is it odd that there is a gift? It's all over the news everything is/was peachy on their marriage)
First tv interview: DRY eyes, subsequent interviews; bawling and all I heard was how he felt and hardly mentioned her name.

Big shocker for me: when asked what would he tell her if she were watching/listening: tongue tied..then" I wish I was there, baby? REALLY??? where is that? and adding: "I will find you" We will find you" Really??? where?

If I were working this case I would focus on a few things:
disrupted family routine
how many call/messages from HIS phone to HER phone
in what order he notified relatives and friends and words he used
his demeanor when picking up the kids and what he asked or tell them to explain the delay
what wording he use to explain to the kids what was going on with their Mommy
why he is not showing on the prayer service that was celebrated on the church they were married? The news reporter mentioned they PHONED him. Is it far from his home?

Finally, just wondering is a pregnancy status fits the "at risk" label.
They confirmed she has no healthy or mental issues.

Thinking, pondering and praying

He's been cleared. That's totally rare in these cases. Cleared is a big word.

On another note, what actual evidence is there that she may have harmed herself or took off? I mean, I agree that those are theories that LE obviously needs to thoroughly explore. But what actual evidence do we have at this time to convicne so many people that this is the most likelt scenario? That she put her kids in daycare and undertermined amount of time, we don't know even if weekly? That she's been described as a "supermom"? That she looks very attractive and has "perfect" photos with her handsome husband and beautiful kids? None of that is evidence. None.

Evidence would be:
1. There were calls to the home because Sherri was acting strnage or thereatning self harm.
2. Sherri was known to mkae up stories.
3. Sherri had a pattern of avoidance.
4. Sherri had a mental health diagnosis or a sudden, negative stressor like a medical diagnosis, sick parents, breakup, etc., or a long term intense stressor like harassment, domestic violence, poverty, affair.
5. Sherri had been doing things out of character for her that day or in the months before the disappearance.
6. There is or has been suspicious bank or credit card activity that appears to be by her.
7. Sherri's has made statements about being stressed or unhappy or having problems.
Etc.

Until I see something like that, I can;t understand feeling that this is the best possibility of what happened to her. It certainly is one - it does happen and it needs to be considered - but the most likely? Hmm. That doens't seem logical to me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 84
Were Sherri's sister-in-law and Tera Smith best friends in high school? I stumbled upon a few things on SM acknowledging such. Has anything been mentioned in MSM about it?

Not sister-in-law, but saw a MSM article quoting the sister as saying it was weird they all went to school together.

There was a strong suspect in the Tera Smith case, though. Kind of rules out a connection.

Here's the quote:

Koester, Sherri Papini’s sister, also knew Smith, and the teen’s disappearance has been on her mind.

“For them to be so closely related in that we all went to high school with them, and they look like each other, it’s all very strange,” she said.

Still, Koester believes her sister’s disappearance will end differently than Smith’s. Keith Papini hasn’t told their children that their mother is gone.

“We feel that she’s going to walk through the door at any time,” Koester said.

(Source.)

Just curious to know what other people would take with them if they were planning on leaving either alone or with someone else.
Surely you'd have some things you'd take, photos of your children, a tablet maybe.
If she was planning on starting a new life by herself, there must be clues on the laptop, she must have had some sort of plan.
If planning to commit suicide, why even take your phone.
If she planned any of these scenarios, why oh why a partly wrapped parcel.

What a beautiful, sensitive and perceptive post. Thank you! And welcome, if you are new to the thread. I completely agree with the pressure the label "supermom" puts on women, not to mention practically perfect "mommy bloggers." And beauty creates its own pressure.

Just to bounce off your post a little. Regarding suicide, I've followed about 6 threads that ended in suicide. The one that taught me a lot was Leanne Bearden...beautiful, talented, had just returned from a trek around the world with her husband, had gotten a cute haircut, was expecting a phone job interview, said goodbye to her husband and went for a walk while awaiting the call and hung herself. It wasn't until after she was found about a month later, in a nearby overgrown back yard, that her husband Josh revealed her struggles with depression. I think he knew suicide was a possibility, but kept it quiet out of respect for her privacy in case she was found alive. She was "spotted" all over the city, even in different cities and he chased down every lead at first. Then he and LE got quiet. LE asked people to check their property and she was found.

Eyewitnesses cannot be relied upon. K9s vary in their ability. Families don't reveal all personal information. As you said so beautifully, we have no idea what Sherri was feeling. Never say never.

Another case that could parallel Sherri's if this was an abduction is Whitney Heichel. She gave a ride to an acquaintance, he pulled a gun, had her drive to a secluded spot where he sexually assaulted her. He parked her car in a shopping center parking lot. Her sweater and her phone were found in different places. Her body was found a few days later miles away in the woods. Whitney had no reason to mistrust him. If Sherri was abducted, an acquaintance could have offered her a ride to pick up the kids or go for coffee or whatever if she was out running. Her phone and other items we don't know about could have been tossed after the fact for unknown reasons.

I just mention these cases to say that no scenario should be off the table, even if it's seemingly out of character. I'm not sure what I think at this point. I just hope she's found, alive if possible. Whatever the result I wish her family peace and comfort.

Well. After taking a (far too) long look at her Pinterest, which perhaps her loved ones have done, IMO, I no longer see this as a definite abduction. Perhaps. I thought so before, but now I am equivocating.

All along, I also never suspected that the husband caused her disappearance/murdered her. Overall, I assumed it was a horrible wrong place, wrong time tragedy. Like many of us, after reading she had no mental or physical health problems, I didn't focus on suicide or that she willingly vanished. I should have been wiser, and not taken LE's or the media's word that she didn't have health concerns. That is a private issue, and there is no reason that any of us should bank on that. People may hide their own - or a loved one's issues, or they may diminish them.

I don't follow as many cases as my fellow readers and posters, but I have read here about a few women who up and left their seemingly happy lives, or else hurt themselves to everyone's shock. The "she'd never do that" type of woman. People have said this about Sherri since day one, including all those closest to her. Of course, I do not know enough to connect Sherri with these disappearances.

If - and that is a big if - someone is involved, IMO she loosely knew the person. I do not think she left to have an affair, but her disappearance could involve someone that she saw as a friend and trusted (male or female) who was not as perceived. But, I'm not comfortable with that possibility, either. IMO, though, I do see a naive quality in her that some jerk could have honed in on.

So, I don't know what to say. We all know that some try hard to project an image of themselves/their lives that isn't fully representative of the real thing. They are happy, and do love their families, but may feel lost when it comes to themselves.

I guess Stepford Wife is one way to look at it, and if you browse more, you may see that theme resonates far past her alter-ego board.

In a way I felt badly browsing because it appears her Pinterest means a lot to her, and in some ways defined who she was, and perhaps who she wished to be. But, I think it tells a lot. IMO, I see secret sorrow, longing and some emptiness.

IMO, women should never, ever be labeled supermom, lest it becomes their entire identity. Even a woman who loves her children and spouse/partner at the deepest level possible cannot live with that expectation. Ugh, the pressure! She is a person apart from those she birthed. Of course, many women in the US have seized their own power and found a way to step out from a particular template, even if it's one they chose - and some of the time, remain happy and safe staying within. They balance, somehow. Others stay silent because they don't know what else to do, or - for whatever reason - don't feel they can have a life independent from wife and mommy.

Maybe it's guilt, maybe others resent this - husbands, families and friends, including women. I tend to forget that people still feel this way about women, and that women feel this way about themselves. I am probably too well educated for my own good, and have my own set of issues with having too much independence and "separateness." My life is often isolating. I look at women like Sherri who appear to have such a sweet, pretty life, and I experience my own cravings, and consider my own choices.

In closing, I want to make clear that I am speaking only from my heart and soul. I do not know Sherri at all and do not know anything specific. My comments are based upon impressions only.

I think those who love her are truly devastated right now, especially if they feel they overlooked or "peeshawed" some of her needs and wants.

My heart would be full if she is still with all of us. She looks like a ray of sunshine to those around her, and her kids need their mom.I am trying to remain positive.

The phone, earbuds, (and possibly a checkbook) would have been tossed or placed in an unrelated area in an attempt to mislead LE and create a false crime scene. It is probably an attempt to draw attention away from the primary crime scene, in this case the house. jmo, though.
OK. Personally, I don't see the need to create a false crime scene if the real scene is spotless (and with no trace evidence left behind). I guess I'm not inclined to buy into theories that get overly complicated. But that's just me. ;)

Nice. This is one of the best posts I have ever read on this site.

I think getting a proper perception from pinterest would be really hard to do. I build pinterest pages for people and a lot of its about marketing. Even my own pages are filled with things that are nowhere near me or what my life looks like. I myself checked Sherri's pinterest because someone had linked it earlier, but nothing on it seems like anything to me as I have know her for 23 years. As for the Supermom label, I think it was one thing, said of her that kept snowballing into a huge thing because of the media attention. If she did voluntarily disappear, which I am in no way saying that I think she did or didn't. . How hard and awful she must feel to be labeled Super Mom by 20+ news sites and how much more would that make her feel like she couldn't come home. It was something said about her and doesn't make her any better or more perfect than any other Mom. I hope my words don't come across as offensive, I am not trying to make you feel bad at all. I get your heart and I too experience the same feelings and cravings as you do. All I am saying is that it is the media who is making her life look perfect, because they need to run a story people will listen to. We all know that life can never be perfect and if it were it would probably be awful just like stepford wives. I'm saying this also from experience because when my 10 year marriage failed, it was almost inconceivable to some as to how or why... Some of us scream our issues from the rooftop, some hold them in and cover them up, some sweep them under rugs and then there are some, who don't even know they have any until it goes bad.. All of us though, in relationships of any kind have tough times and it is true no matter who we are.

IllinoisMissing

I hope she ran but i don't believe it. In the week prior she posted a pin of Halloween shoes she wants to make for her future kid, who will be a Superhero nerd like her. So she wanted more babies, at the least. Or maybe, speculation here, she already was

.I have read every posts and this is the first time I see the possibility of her being pregnant - and we all have heard that pregnancy is a very dangerous time! It says the post on pinterest is very recent

Of course they would need the body to confirm...

Any thoughts?

Just curious to know what other people would take with them if they were planning on leaving either alone or with someone else.
Surely you'd have some things you'd take, photos of your children, a tablet maybe.
If she was planning on starting a new life by herself, there must be clues on the laptop, she must have had some sort of plan.
If planning to commit suicide, why even take your phone.
If she planned any of these scenarios, why oh why a partly wrapped parcel.
Maybe she wasn't sure she could go through with it, so she kept her phone with her until she made up her mind. Then she discarded it. (Just a guess. For the record, I'm leaning toward abduction, not an affair or suicide.) As for the parcel, I doubt it's important.

I think the silence from both LE and families speaks volumes. I think they're on to something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708