The Sidebar - Harris Trial #3 *VERDICT - GUILTY*

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a Week this past week has been! :rollercoaster: A Surprising Election to couple verdicts :)
Have a great rest of the evening everyone! :eek:fftobed:

JMHO the states where they have them often probably disagree with you. JMHO

I live in one of those states. In fact, over the years mine has had more than any others.

As I said, even one is too many. With that said, it doesn't mean that factually and statistically it's not rare. It IS rare.

Honestly, her post doesn't make sense to me. I get that she's angry that Ross was convicted but her tirade about accepting that it can happen to any parent will protect your child leaves me scratching my head. She and Ross were aware that it can happen to anyone; the problem was that neither of them did anything to prevent it.

Once again she's chosen to angrily shake her fist at "society" just like when she complained about the media way back. Yet she gives her ex-husband a pass. I do understand that she's furious but I'm not sure that her anger is about losing her son as much as it is about losing Ross. JMO.
These are my thoughts exactly only written much more eloquently than this statistician could compose. Thanks for voicing what I have been trying to since I read LH's reaction to the verdict.

Just out of curiosity, since a few here believe the sexting to be irrelevant, if a parent is in a bar drinking all day, or holed up doing drugs for hours as their child perished in a hot car--would you not want such facts to be included as evidence at trial?

I'm not understanding why this dad's actions during the time his son was dying should have been ignored. If the sexting had happened on a different day I would believe it to be irrelevant, but that's not what happened here.

I don't think the sexting was irrelevant in the sense of inadmissible. However, when I became convinced of RH's guilt, the sexting wasn't even a factor in making that determination.

The sexting was more of an afterthought in my mind: juxtaposing his sexting while he was consciously aware of his son dying in that car. Now that's demented.

What gets me is Ross’ DT claims he’s not guilty and yet 12 jurors says he is. Our justice system is suppose to work,correct? So 12 jurors, and to me that I sa lot, all agreed he was guilty on all accounts and yet the DT doesn’t agree? What don’t they see that 12 jurors DID see?

(again, typing in Word doc. so words will run together when I paste it here) :(

A few dozen a year out of the over 23 million children under 5...is exceedingly rare. Even one is too many, but it is rare. Stranger child abductions are considered very rare, and there are more yearly.

And how many were truly accidents, vs intentional while claiming accident?

I don't think the sexting was irrelevant in the sense of inadmissible. However, when I became convinced of RH's guilt, the sexting wasn't even a factor in making that determination.

The sexting was more of an afterthought in my mind: juxtaposing his sexting while he was consciously aware of his son dying in that car. Now that's demented.

I feel the same about the importance of it given the verdict. However, at the time the charges were filed it could not be known how the case would go, and if it were to come down to being a case of negligence, the sexting would be very important. I believe the state included it in the evidence because it clearly showed negligence. However, other evidence showed malice.

It sounds to me as if people are saying he would not have been convicted had it not been for the sexting evidence and that it was improper to include it. I think he would have been convicted even if it had not been included but I do believe it was proper to include it.

Indeed. An angry at the world statement. Her life's been laid bare for all to see via his actions, and even after everything he done to her, she's angry he was found guilty? Doesn't sound like the same woman who didn't want to see him ever again a couple of weeks ago. The parent committing the act is not the problem, but society that blamed him are, has to be the most bizarre thing she could say at this time.

As we were into a new week, the verdict was more than likely going to be today or tomorrow. She could have shown up for one day in support of her little son. Just one day. Instead she chose to stay home and be angry that the man who humiliated and ruined her life was convicted of killing her son. I know there are differing opinions on that, but that's mine. I believe there's an element of fear behind her statement. She was off to me from the beginning, even more so since she took the stand. jmo

So where did Leanna post that on Facebook? Her personal FB post are not public. So she either posted it somewhere else, or she has a mole in her friends list. JMHO
It was public at first. She has more than one.

BBM

I agree that when the jury viewed the car they could tell that it would be possible to see Cooper in the backseat. That's because they would be concentrating on where Cooper was sitting. But did RH?

JMO

RH is the one who strappedhim in the car seat, in great lengths I might add. So, yes, he knew Cooper was in the car whenhe left him. The jurors, IMO got it right.

I wasn't surprised with the guilty on all counts verdict. I called it last week. Not many here thought that would be the outcome. Many were surprised when the verdicts were announced today.

So where did Leanna post that on Facebook? Her personal FB post are not public. So she either posted it somewhere else, or she has a mole in her friends list. JMHO
Full context:

The ex-wife of the man accused in the hot car death of his young son spoke out on Facebook after his conviction on Monday.
A jury found Ross Harris guilty on all eight charges, including malice murder and felony murder, in the death of Cooper Harris. The 22-month-old was found dead in the back of his father's SUV in June 2014.

Harris' ex-wife, Leanna Taylor, reacted to the conviction on Facebook.

"For those of you who want to know if I am ok. The answer is no. I have not been "ok" since the moment I was told my son was dead. I have not been "ok" since the moment my life was put on this path that has led to Ross being found guilty of maliciously murdering our child. So now you may be saying "justice has been served." And you are allowed your right to that opinion. But guess what, you can convict every parent that this has ever happened to, and I can promise you 2 things...#1 it will never bring our children back and #2 it will not prevent this from happening in the future. Next summer, as this begins to happen over and over again, ask yourself, "what can be done?!" The problem is not the parent! The problem is a society that refuses to believe this can happen to them! Wake up! Accept it! And by accepting it you will be protecting your child! I don't care what your opinion is in my situation. I don't care what your opinion is of me! It does not matter! Your opinion will never bring back my son. So called "justice" will never bring back my son. Nothing will ever take that pain away. And nothing will ever feel worse than living with the knowledge that his pain and his death could have been prevented. Be the wise parent, and accept that this can happen. And you will never have to walk the path that my family has had to walk. And I pray YOU never have to walk this path."
http://www.11alive.com/mb/news/loca...of-you-who-want-to-know-if-i-am-ok/351894496#

This part

"be the wise parent, and accept that this can happen. And you will never have to walk the path that my family has had to walk."

Its really a little bizarre to me. I almost get the same feeling that LE must have felt when the husband cursed at them at the parking lot.

In this part she left out a critical thing. Not just accept that it can happen but do something to help prevent it. Put your purse or wallet or cell phone in front of the car seat where you always have to retrieve it when leaving the car.

Some say she used to make him send photos. Even that is not enough. Especially letting it stop. She needed to begin driving him herself and change jobs or shifts if she has to since she did not trust him. If she was so worried about him leaving him then something is seriously wrong and something needs to change.

They admitted to knowing the danger and yet they didnt do anything to stop it on that particualr day.

RH is the one who strappedhim in the car seat, in great lengths I might add. So, yes, he knew Cooper was in the car whenhe left him. The jurors, IMO got it right.

Yes, he knew Cooper was in the car when he strapped him in the car seat.

In my opinion the jurors got some things right but not everything. It doesn't matter much because RH deserved to be punished.

The State was able to convince the jury to convict on all charges so he will be punished severely.

BBM

I agree that when the jury viewed the car they could tell that it would be possible to see Cooper in the backseat. That's because they would be concentrating on where Cooper was sitting. But did RH?

JMO

I think that he did. And based on the verdict, the jury did as well. I just never bought the story that Ross forgot that Cooper was in the car in the short time between walking out the door at CFA, to buckling him into his car seat, to making the decision to drive to work instead of daycare. JMO

I watched most of the trial. Even kept some notes lol the problem I have is it is in a way the perfect crime in that you cannot see inside his head and heart to prove he knew Cooper was in his car seat. I have forgotten many things but not a child thank the lord and im old enough to remember it happening in Dallas in the mid 80's and no charges were ever filed. Cops just said the parent was over worked, stressed, lack of sleep etc and called it an accident.

We know by the cell phone usage Ross too had to be stressed from lack of sleep and as repulsive as it is that he was sexting constantly, this shows me he has a very severe sex addiction that took over his mind and body. Christains will just call it sin but a shrink would call it a mental illness. I note he was receiving testosterone treatments for low sperm count. I am wondering what that did to his sex drive and even if he stopped the treatment it could have long lasting risidual effects. Please understand I am not defending the guy by any means im just looking at this case with no emotion and trying to reason how it happened.

I saw the cops lie like a dog in this case. We all were told by the media he had searched child free, he did not. I even heard Leanna searched it on her puter, not true. they tweaked the facts a little to their advantage.

I will not be shocked to see some of these charges tossed on appeal and rightfully so. Not for Ross' sake but for our sake as a state/nation. We cannot let cops lie and convict people w/o evidence. As much as I hate Casey Anthony I am beginning to see the light as to our justice system and how it should work.

I feel so bad for little Cooper I wish someone had heard him crying cause you know he did at least for a short while before he was overcome with heat. Poor baby. I am angry at Ross too but I do not know if he really did mean to leave him, do you? If you do please tell me what proves he did this on purpose....

As for the sexting, that one girl originally said she was 18 but she really was 15, he kept on I know I know for that he should be punished but a life sentence is just way too harsh.

(please feel free to scroll and roll)
Thank you for this post, dizzy. I believe it was you that had brought up the testosterone a few weeks ago and at the time there wasn't much discussion about it, but it's been on my mind a lot. Prescription drugs have real side effects and I've seen some times very innocuous prescription drugs (Chantex) lead to murder. They can destroy lives and I had hoped that some more testimony had been brought up about the "escalation" and the possible reasons behind it.
(Please feel free to scroll and roll)

I think that he did. And based on the verdict, the jury did as well. I just never bought the story that Ross forgot that Cooper was in the car in the short time between walking out the door at CFA, to buckling him into his car seat, to making the decision to drive to work instead of daycare. JMO

All that matters is that the jury found RH guilty. My opinion doesn't matter much at this point but I was never sure one way or another.

Thank you for this post, dizzy. I believe it was you that had brought up the testosterone a few weeks ago and at the time there wasn't much discussion about it, but it's been on my mind a lot. Prescription drugs have real side effects and I've seen some times very innocuous prescription drugs (Chantex) lead to murder. They can destroy lives and I had hoped that some more testimony had been brought up about the "escalation" and the possible reasons behind it.

a guy in Dallas quit smoking, he was taking Chantix. So his firends take him to get drunk to celebrate. When he got home he went up to what he thought was the door to his house, it really was his next door neighbors house. At 3 am he starts banging and screaming like drunks do and the neighbor called 911, they said "we are getting broke into the guy wont go away,he is scaring us, im gonna have to shoot"" so he shot at about 6 feet and it hit the guy right in his forehead. he was over 6 feet tall. Chantix didnt report the side effect if you drink while on the drug. His fiance filed suit, I have no idea what the outcome was. The neighbor felt so bad and he was not charged as this is Texas, Castle Doctrine. sad case the 911 and shooting was all recorded, I heard the shot, the screaming so they have good proof.

bit o/t

Peach Do you, or anyone else from Georgia, know if it's usual practice for one just convicted to be driven from court in a private car?

Two tangential O/T thoughts for the night:

1) One of my favorite trial moments was when Timothy McVeigh's lawyer started his opening for the death penalty sentencing phase by saying: "Now that we ALL know that he's guilty..." Talk about a shocked court room.

2) My favorite part of Judge Staley is her name. My dog is named Staley.

Have a good night everyone! I thought a verdict would bring some peace to the thread but I see there are still many angles to debate. Healthy debate is good and if a man is at risk of losing his liberty for most of his remaining time I'm OK with any necessary checks and balances being done. Nothing will bring Cooper back and I don't see Ross walking free anytime soon, rightfully so.

thank you for the thank you LOL yes it was me cause when I heard he was taking this drug a light went off in my head. I just wonder if this guy liked the well known side effect of taking testosterone. He was enjoying the effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong