OH - Ohio State University Rampage, 28 November 2016

Sounds like Radical islamic terrorism to me, lone wolf. Jmo

OFFICIALS INVESTIGATING ANTI-US FACEBOOK RANT BELIEVED LINKED TO OSU ATTACKER

Authorities are investigating an anti-U.S. rant posted on Facebook just minutes before the Ohio State University attack today that is believed to be linked to suspect Abdul Razak Ali Artan, sources told ABC News.

Appearing three minutes before the beginning of the rampage that left 11 people injured, the post reads: "I can't take it anymore. America! Stop interfering with other countries, especially the Muslim Ummah. We are not weak. We are not weak, remember that."

The post also invokes the name Anwar Al-Awlaki, a radical American-born al-Qaeda cleric, describing him as a "hero." Al-Awlaki was killed in 2011 but his propaganda has been linked to several domestic terrorist attacks in the years after his death.

http://abc7ny.com/news/officials-in...rant-believed-linked-to-osu-attacker/1629153/

Fox35 in Orlando just did a report on Rep. Scott Plankon (R) Longwood,Fl. filing legislation to allow students to conceal carry on campus in response to campus shootings for the state of Florida.
His point was shooters target gun free zones like schools and students should not have to give up their right to protect themselves once they step on campus.
I thought of not posting this because of the chance for the discussion to go off the rail but it is important with so many campus shootings.

Many community colleges are feeders for the State Colleges, and yes, he could be 18 and going in with an Associates. My daughter started classes at the community college at 15, did dual enrollment junior and Sr. yr of HS. Graduated at 16 over 3/4 of her way to an associates degree and was at university at 17. Was technically a junior at 18 credit wise.

Way to go!

Does Ohio not have a sales tax?

eta:
(1) "Resident " shall mean any person who maintains a twelve-month place or places of residence in Ohio, who is qualified as a resident to vote in Ohio and receive state public assistance, and who may be subjected to tax liability under section 5747.02 of the Revised Code, provided such person has not, within the time prescribed by this rule, declared himself or herself to be or allowed himself or herself to remain a resident of any other state or nation for any of these or other purposes.

Okay I was thinking of income or property taxes.

A community member who spoke to the attacker's family described them as shocked. The community member described Artan as a good kid. She confirmed Artan had just finished community college before starting this semester at Ohio State.
A US official said Artan was a legal permanent US resident from Somalia. Separately, a federal law enforcement official and a US official said Artan came to the country in 2014 with his family.
They were in Pakistan after leaving Somalia before coming to the United States two years ago, the US official said.
Neighbor Stephanie Leper told CNN Artan's family occupies four units. Law enforcement vehicles arrived at the town homes sometime after 10 a.m. and took people away in "paddy wagons," she said.

Sorry about CNN link

[video=cnn;us/2016/11/28/ohio-state-university-attack-orig-mss.cnn]http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/28/us/ohio-state-university-active-shooter/index.html[/video]

It seems the professor was in his dept

• Faculty Emeritus, Materials Science Engineering

• 476 Watts Hall
    2041 College Rd
    Columbus, OH 43210
The cop yelled to the suspect, “Drop it and get down or I’ll shoot!” before opening fire, Bowers said.

Student Sean Cody said he was walking to class near Watts Hall when he heard what sounded like a blast and saw a cloud of dust and about 30 people “booking it” — fleeing from Watts Hall.

OSU’s main campus in Columbus is one of the largest in the US.

The school has been in a celebratory mood after its football Buckeyes beat the University of Michigan 30-27 in double OT on Saturday — OSU’s fifth straight victory over the Wolverines.

http://nypost.com/2016/11/28/active-shooter-reported-at-ohio-state-university/

SABBM

It appears we have a motive. Imo.

And who in the heck is the "Ummah" ? Is there more than one ?

So, because he felt America was 'interfering' with other countries... he attempted to take it out on people he may have sat and studied in classes, with. Ate with. Fellow classmates who may in the past have greeted him in the mornings.
Despicable.
:moo:

Ummah means the community of muslims.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ummah

The word Ummah refers to "the people" in Arabic, more specifically to Muslim people with a common ideology and culture. "Ummah" is also said in the Quran by Allah referring to Muslims. It is more commonly used in Islamic countries. Muslim Ummah refers to the unity of Muslims all over the world. The Muslim Ummah is responsible for upholding the religion and therefore benefiting the community regardless whether the community is Muslim or non-Muslim

The fire department was already on the scene, responding to a report of a chemical leak which turned out to be a bad filter

Officials have said initial indications are that the fire alarm and timing of the attack were coincidental.

Officer Alan Horujk was already on the scene, and he responded to the incident quickly

“This place is huge and I don’t even know where to play,” Artan said. “I wanted to pray in the open, but I was kind of scared with everything going on in the media. I’m a Muslim, it’s not what the media portrays me to be. If people look at me, a Muslim praying, I don’t know what they’re going to think, what’s going to happen.”

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ohio-state-university-active-shooter-on-campus/

The suspect came to the U.S. with his family in 2014. He must have started at the community college right away and graduated with an Associates degree in spring of this year. He entered OSU as a junior.

Many community colleges are feeders for the State Colleges, and yes, he could be 18 and going in with an Associates. My daughter started classes at the community college at 15, did dual enrollment junior and Sr. yr of HS. Graduated at 16 over 3/4 of her way to an associates degree and was at university at 17. Was technically a junior at 18 credit wise.

Suspect came to the U.S. from Somalia and Pakistan with his family in 2014.

This article says he was 20 yrs old. Sounds more realistic.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...university-warns-of-active-shooter-on-campus/

He lived in an apartment with about 8 other people, 6 believed to be his siblings.

Jack Ouham, owner of the Home Town Market near Artan’s home, said he lived with several brothers and sisters and his mother in a three-bedroom apartment for the past year. He said the family is Somali but had lived in Pakistan prior to coming to Columbus. He described him as “a really nice guy, really quiet, very friendly. No craziness. A very normal, respectful guy.”

In theory, it could be possible. In our district HS students can 'dual enroll'--my son is a senior and takes a few college classes at a community college half the day. They fulfill his senior requirements for the parallel subject offered at HS level, and he earns the college credit. The student gets a grant from the state so it's another way to get college credits in high school (like taking AP classes) and the student doesn't have to pay tuition for the class. The state does. Some high-achieving students start dual enrollment classes as early as sophomore year in high school and can earn an associates degree by HS graduation.

Not sure if that's what he did, though...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ting-college-degrees-in-high-school/29846455/

Suspect didn't come to the U.S. until 2014, so he didn't attend high school here. He got an Associates degree and entered OSU as a junior.

Does Ohio not have a sales tax?

eta:
(1) "Resident " shall mean any person who maintains a twelve-month place or places of residence in Ohio, who is qualified as a resident to vote in Ohio and receive state public assistance, and who may be subjected to tax liability under section 5747.02 of the Revised Code, provided such person has not, within the time prescribed by this rule, declared himself or herself to be or allowed himself or herself to remain a resident of any other state or nation for any of these or other purposes.

Oh, we do. The state doesn't tax food, but it taxes other items. Also taxes income, etc.

Is the term buckhead only to this university ??

This officially started at 1056. Can we find out when the florine thing started?

Sounds like Radical islamic terrorism to me, lone wolf. Jmo
RSBM

Wonder if he was influenced by the teachings of someone here in the U.S. ; or if he became radicalized online , or from the country in which he initially resided ?
Since it is nearly impossible to predict any attacks by 'lone wolves' .. maybe we need to look more closely at the source ?

RSBM

Wonder if he was influenced by the teachings of someone here in the U.S. ; or if he became radicalized online , or from the country in which he initially resided ?
Since it is nearly impossible to predict any attacks by 'lone wolves' .. maybe we need to look more closely at the source ?

It is actually like can we predict when white American males going on a shooting spree?

No, the only difference is white American mass shooters are far more P relevant than any other mass shooters.

The statistics indicate we are far more in danger of being murdered by a white American mass shooter than anyone else!!

Well, he specifically talked about Al- Awlawki in the facebook post that posted 3 min before the attack, so it's a safe bet he was "inspired" by Al-Awlaki. (See links upthread.) Al-Awlaki is also considered a martyr, as well as being a prime source of radical ideology and jihadi recruits.

Anwar al-Awlaki (also spelled al-Aulaqi, al-Awlaqi; Arabic: أنور العولقي‎‎ Anwar al-‘Awlaqī; April 21, 1971 – September 30, 2011) was an American[8] and Yemeni imam and Islamic lecturer. U.S. government officials allege that he was a senior recruiter and motivator who was involved in planning terrorist operations for the Islamist militant group al-Qaeda,[2][9][10][11][12][13][14][15] and he became the first United States citizen to be targeted and eliminated by a U.S. drone strike.[16] His son, Abdulrahman al-Awlaki (a 16 year old American citizen), was killed in a U.S. drone strike two weeks later.[17] With a blog, a Facebook page, the al-Qaeda magazine Inspire, and many YouTube videos, al-Awlaki was described by Saudi news station Al Arabiya as the "bin Laden of the Internet."[18][19] After a request from the U.S. Congress, in November 2010 Google removed many of al-Awlaki's videos from its websites.[20] According to the New York Times, al-Awlaki's public statements and videos have been more influential in inspiring acts of terrorism in the wake of his assassination than before his death.[21]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anwar_al-Awlaki

ETA: Link for the facebook reference:

An Ohio State University student posted a rant shortly before he plowed a car into a campus crowd and stabbed people with a butcher knife in an ambush that ended when a police officer shot him dead, a law enforcement official said.

Abdul Razak Ali Artan, 18, wrote on what appears to be his Facebook page that he had reached a "boiling point" and made a reference to "lone wolf attacks" and cites radical cleric Anwar al-Awlaki.

"America! Stop interfering with other countries, especially Muslim Ummah (community). We are not weak. We are not weak, remember that," the post said.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...hio-state-university-car-knife-attack-n689076

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back