Post Verdict - Ross Harris Trial

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are great actors, if so.

I hear you, I don't doubt the emotion. Some of my strongest emotional reactions were brought on by angry frustration.

'The Courtroom as a Stage' - many stories out there from attorneys world-wide.

Yeah, that bothered me because some of the charges were contradictory so I don't see how he could be guilty of all of them. It make me think the jury didn't fully understand the charges. Jmo.

Hi Raymonde!

I don't have a response to your comment but it seems that in Georgia it's not unusual to charge defendants with both malice murder and felony murder. In another case here on WS:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...2-beaten-to-death-McDonough-17-Nov-2015/page3

It states that:

McDonough residents Jennifer and Joseph Rosenbaum pleaded not guilty Nov. 22 to one count each of malice murder and two counts each of felony murder in the Nov. 17, 2015 death of their foster child, 2-year-old Laila Daniel.

They also pleaded not guilty to counts of first-degree cruelty to children and aggravated battery.

http://www.mdjonline.com/neighbor_n...cle_ffcf59f4-b0d5-11e6-aa0b-1bfcde5f114c.html

I wish we had a Georgia lawyer on the thread to properly explain how this works - and why it wouldn't be considered double jeopardy - but apparently it's not unusual to see both charges in homicide cases in Georgia.

In yet another Georgia case defendant Steven Mobley was found guilty of both malice murder and felony murder.

I am assuming that the jury did understand the judge's explanation.

Tell us how you really feel. :D

You're right though, his only concern has always been for himself. The DT are all intelligent men. I don't for a minute believe they have bought into Harris hook and line. This is part of the game.

It's laying ground work for sympathy for appeal

ETA - I have a friend who used to work with MK and CR, but I feel so awkward asking her about this case. I would love to know if she has any insights.

<rsforpoint> Have you given it any more thought about asking her Peach?

They have to consider each charge individually, and the criteria was met for each individual charge.

Exactly.

2. Key charges against Harris: The state has charged malice murder, which means the killer intended to kill. But it has also charged two counts of felony murder, which is a death that occurs during the commission of a felony. In this case, the underlying felonies are: cruelty to children in the first degree (for intentionally leaving Cooper in the hot car) and cruelty to children in the second degree (for negligently leaving Cooper in the hot car). A conviction on any of the murder charges would carry a life sentence, with 30 years to serve before possibility of parole.
Looking at the Malice charge, jury felt Malice was present.

Now moving on to the Felony Murder charge, jury felt the felony of 'cruelty to children in the first degree' was present.

http://www.myajc.com/news/news/local/7-keys-justin-ross-harris-trial/nq6B3/

If they're very religious they probably have strong views about forgiveness, and about not judging others.

Maybe RH has claimed to have had a conversion, and they think god wants them to clear his name. Or they might see themselves as martyrs nobly defending the lowest of the low even though it makes people hate them. JMO.

I'm southern and religious and I don't believe that for one minute. If they are so forgiving they can't see a pervert and a killer go to prison for his crimes, they are in the wrong profession. Didn't the lead attorney used to be a prosecuter? What did he do then, let every one who said they had found Jesus go? I believe most of the accused find Jesus once they find themselves in jail.
I think they don't like losing, they are already working on the appeal by putting such crap out in the media, hoping future jurors will see and hear and have sympathy for ole RH.
The bible does say to forgive, but it also says to suffer the burden that your sin has caused. RH can get to prison and possibly do some good for the other inmates. Maybe his religion will now be real, instead of a social function.
MOO

IMO there wasn't anything the DT could have done better.

In hindsight, as DT, I would have stayed out of the weeds:
* With every "sex" witness I would have said "Thank you for taking part in our justice system, we won't detain you any longer. No further questions."
* I would not have "nit-picked" with state's experts and detectives. Perhaps the incorrect placement of the car seat for the 3D-Scan could have been saved for better effect (like Juan with Jodi's 3rd gas can), but arguing every little detail strayed from the core defense of "accident."
* Instead of constantly objecting to the admission of digital evidence, I would have continuously put the "escapes" message into the correct context of parents all needing some "adult time" in order to remain balanced.
* I would have put Ross on the stand to tell the jury it was an accident.

Given that the jury, from day one, appears unwilling to accept that anyone could forget a child, it may not have made a difference. I just think the arguing over every minor fact and not putting Ross on the stand made it look like they were trying to get a guilty party off on a technicality.

I think this jury got it right- it was intentional murder made to look like an accident, a very passive hands-off way of killing for the insurance money and the attention it would bring. What sealed it for me besides the child-free life searches, were the last meal and kiss goodbye and the too small car seat so he couldn't escape, when they had just purchased a bigger one, and parking in the sun when he normally didn't. There's one photo with Cooper placed on him where he clearly looks like he didn't want the kid, not the portrait of a loving father. And the cancelled movie plans when he "discovered" the body. Why not have that happen at the movie theater lot? I also think throwing the light bulbs in the car was to check to see if he was dead yet.

Hi Raymonde!

I don't have a response to your comment but it seems that in Georgia it's not unusual to charge defendants with both malice murder and felony murder. In another case here on WS:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...2-beaten-to-death-McDonough-17-Nov-2015/page3

It states that:

http://www.mdjonline.com/neighbor_n...cle_ffcf59f4-b0d5-11e6-aa0b-1bfcde5f114c.html

I wish we had a Georgia lawyer on the thread to properly explain how this works - and why it wouldn't be considered double jeopardy - but apparently it's not unusual to see both charges in homicide cases in Georgia.

In yet another Georgia case defendant Steven Mobley was found guilty of both malice murder and felony murder.

I am assuming that the jury did understand the judge's explanation.

I agree, I'm no attorney, but from everything I've read regarding Georgia law and murder charges, the malice murder and felony murder charges seem to go hand in hand.
Here's one link and I've read on several others that say basically the same thing.
https://www.pagepate.com/experience/criminal-defense/georgia-crimes/georgia-murder-violent-crimes/

Murder occurs when an individual with premeditated malice unlawfully causes another person to die. The element of malice may be satisfied by showing an express or implied form of malice. The law also states that an individual commits murder when he causes the death of another while engaging in a felony. In such cases, malice does not have to be proven.

Some people bounce back quickly from things and get on with their life. Even after the death of a child. Even if that death was their fault (unintentionally). Others commit suicide, or spend the next twenty years carrying the child's blanket everywhere they go and weeping into it, and talking about nothing but the dead child. It doesn't help anyone, and it doesn't bring the child back, so why do we see it as the most praiseworthy way of grieving?

Some people are stoical and move on quickly, others don't. I don't think that moving on quickly should be be frowned upon. LH didn't let the death of her baby ruin her life. She moved on, got a new boyfriend. She's a strong woman. Good for her.

I view her very differently- as a co-conspirator that knew something was going to happen, but did nothing to stop it, then defends the guilty party. She acts just like Cindy Anthony in my book, no sympathy here!

I'm sorry, but any parent who lost a toddler through a tortuous death,
who can just go on with their life is not "strong". There is something wrong with them.

Agreed! To me that's a callous individual, or one who is actually very weak inside. I lost a good friend suddenly two weeks ago, less than 12 hours after I saw her, and I'm having a hard time functioning daily.

This article has good information regarding charges and sentencing guidelines.

Stiff sentence awaits Ross Harris, but case may be far from over

Christian Boone
12:00 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 3, 2016 Atlanta News

In a case filled with dramatic twists and unforeseen turns, Monday&#8217;s sentencing hearing for convicted killer Justin Ross Harris is expected to proceed without any big surprises.
Harris, 36, found guilty of intentionally leaving his 22-month-old son Cooper inside a hot car to die, faces a maximum sentence of life in prison without parole plus 42 years. And he&#8217;s likely to get it, or something very close, based on the heinous nature of the June 2014 crime and the criteria Cobb County Superior Court Judge Mary Staley Clark will follow to arrive at a decision...*

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/stiff...ase-may-far-from-over/2gfckCei9hcaEYAW2D0s3N/

Agreed! To me that's a callous individual, or one who is actually very weak inside. I lost a good friend suddenly two weeks ago, less than 12 hours after I saw her, and I'm having a hard time functioning daily.

I'm thinking about you, LinasK. I had a loss of a good friend several years ago, and I was able to get to & from work, do my job, get home, do those things, but she was on my mind off & on every day. It does get easier, but it takes more time than you probably will want it to take.

I was sad, but also I was thankful that I had such a friend for as long as I did. And memories became such a gift. You will have that, too. Forever.

:hug:

Christian Boone
12:00 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 3, 2016 Atlanta News

In a case filled with dramatic twists and unforeseen turns, Monday’s sentencing hearing for convicted killer Justin Ross Harris is expected to proceed without any big surprises.
Harris, 36, found guilty of intentionally leaving his 22-month-old son Cooper inside a hot car to die, faces a maximum sentence of life in prison without parole plus 42 years. And he’s likely to get it, or something very close, based on the heinous nature of the June 2014 crime and the criteria Cobb County Superior Court Judge Mary Staley Clark will follow to arrive at a decision...*

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/stiff...ase-may-far-from-over/2gfckCei9hcaEYAW2D0s3N/

Thanks for that link. It explained the charges/sentencing in an easy to understand way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a maximum sentence of life in prison without parole plus 42 years. And he’s likely to get it, or something very close, based on the heinous nature of the June 2014 crime and the criteria Cobb County Superior Court Judge Mary Staley Clark will follow to arrive at a decision...*

Sounds about right to me, in the absence of "eye for an eye" punishment -that would of course be my preference for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow