Plane carrying 72 passengers and 9 crew has crashed in Colombia

Which airport did not operate midnight the fuel stop or arrival terminal ??

It was the scheduled fuel stop. It seems that the half hour delay caused by looking for the video game meant they were too late for the refueling stop.

The lack of fuel to the engines in turn caused the reported electrical fault initially thought to be responsible for the crash, it is claimed.

Seventy-six people were killed in what was the deadliest air disaster in the world this year.

another flight which had suffered a fuel leak.

the lack of damage to the fans in the turbines of the plane’s engines, which shows the engines were not running when the plane hit the ground.

118.jpg

pilot Mick Quiroga asked if the Brazilian football side, who were travelling over the border for a historic cup final, could be flown directly to the town of Medellin instead of having to stop over in Bolivia.
But aviation authorities refused permission for a flight to take the direct route from Sao Paulo in Brazil to Medellin in Colombia.

LAMIA airline pilot pleaded with the mayor of Chapeco — home of the Chapecoense — to help him get permission for the more direct route.
He says: "I hired a Bolivian aeroplane to take us from Sao Paulo Guarulhos to Santa Cruz. I'll be waiting here in Santa Cruz.

the airman was refused by Brazil's National Civil Aviation Agency (ANAC) because of rules over flight services between countries.
"The transportation must be done by a Brazilian or Colombian company", a ruling official said.
"I understand that there is a company already in place to carry out the flight. That being the case, I deny authorisation."

After already paying for the LAMIA flight, it meant the team had to fly from Brazil and change over to board the doomed plane in Bolivia, from where they set off on Monday night.

freezing temperatures of below 5°C.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2290766/colombian-plane-crash-chapecoense-low-fuel-eletrical-fault/

http://www.wsj.com/articles/colombi...ople-killed-in-mondays-plane-crash-1480610197

For want of a nail, a shoe was lost .....

70+ people died because a grown man couldn't go a few hours without playing a video game.
It appears that was the first in a series of poor decisions that led to this disaster. It's inconceivable that people are blaming the Air Traffic Controller and sending her threats.

The more that emerges it just seems like so much of this is related to "famous" - like stars demanding we leave now.

What is so baffling is the capt on the same plane - one would think HE would want enough fuel- for his life.

From the numbers we have heard this was not even close for the planned flight plan.

It was not that long a flight which might make it reasonable to conclude that cabin crew were aware of weather ahead - making their decisions more bewildering.

Wonder if there was a strong headwind? Does not IMO excuse choices ; but might explain a portion of this tragedy

When was there game supposed to be played??. How many days after they landed?

moo[/Quote

Who knows what went through their minds. There is no reason/excuse not to pick up extra fuel. Unless they were being cowboys and trying to deliver the team on time (for whatever reason)....didn't they say they would do everything to ensure a smooth trip. The F/O who had been just checked to line I'm guessing would not be saying to much. When our crew hear of such circumstances they shake their heads in disbelief of the stupidity. Sure if it's a technical problem and completely out of crew control ..... but this was a tragic event, and by the sounds of it avoidable that has left hundreds of friends and love ones in horror, which will make it even harder to grieve under the circumstances.

It was the scheduled fuel stop. It seems that the half hour delay caused by looking for the video game meant they were too late for the refueling stop.

Exactly and this should have been taken into consideration prior to departure. En route they would have been aware that this was touch and go. There should have been an alternative source of fuel. These guys backed themselves into a corner because of bravado.

Brazilian pilots have strongly criticised LaMia for apparently taking unacceptable risks.

“This really was a tragedy, a tragedy that this happened because of pure irresponsibility,” said one pilot, speaking anonymously because he was not authorized to give interviews. “What he (Quiroga) did was mass murder.”

On Friday Brazil’s Estado de S Paulo newspaper reported that the same British Aerospace-built plane had flown four other trips at the limit of its fuel capacity.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/02/colombia-plane-crash-pilot-brazil-chapecoense

I'm not shocked by this but the people on those flights are incredibly lucky they are safe.

Have a nice weekend emirates1957 and everyone.

"Bolivian pilot Miguel Quiroga lied to Colombian authorities about where his plane took off to convince officials he had more than enough fuel to safely conduct his flight in which 71 people died as the bodies of the first victims are returned to Brazil.

Quiroga's original flight plan said the estimated journey between Santa Cruz and Medellin was 4 hours 22 minutes. He said his aircraft's endurance was also 4 hours and 22 minutes - giving him absolutely no margin for error.

But the document passed to Colombian authorities claimed his LAMIA aircraft departed Cobija, which is almost 500 miles closer to Medellin - giving him an additional 90 minutes of fuel."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...pares-bury-football-heroes.html#ixzz4RmQLFtH1

"Bolivian pilot Miguel Quiroga lied to Colombian authorities about where his plane took off to convince officials he had more than enough fuel to safely conduct his flight in which 71 people died as the bodies of the first victims are returned to Brazil.

Quiroga's original flight plan said the estimated journey between Santa Cruz and Medellin was 4 hours 22 minutes. He said his aircraft's endurance was also 4 hours and 22 minutes - giving him absolutely no margin for error.

But the document passed to Colombian authorities claimed his LAMIA aircraft departed Cobija, which is almost 500 miles closer to Medellin - giving him an additional 90 minutes of fuel."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...pares-bury-football-heroes.html#ixzz4RmQLFtH1

From your link

That is phenomenal and so confusing.

How does one "say" where they are departing from? Are they faxed or something? The only thing that I can come up with is money and paying for more fuel. There has to be a notion that one is on the machine also , and could be killed. Makes utterly no sense and is quite disturbing. How could a copilot not "care" about the lie?

Air crash investigators will also want to assess why, having lost all power at 21,000 feet, the pilot was unable to glide to Medellin, as in theory, he should have been able to make the airport despite its 6,700 feet elevation.

What on earth could he have been thinking? Never heard of anything like this.

circled outside Medellin for 16 minutes

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...pares-bury-football-heroes.html#ixzz4Rmiqvece
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

IIRC, it was the co-pilot's first flight in that seat, which made me wonder if a more experienced officer might have said "no". But knowing about the previous flights at max fuel range puts that theory in the trash.

The captain of the plane carrying a Brazilian soccer team that crashed in Colombia was facing arrest on charges of abandoning the Bolivian air force before fulfilling his military commitment, according to a report.

“Captain (Miguel) Quiroga, who was a pilot of the plane that crashed, had a trial with the Bolivian Air Force, even had a warrant,” Bolivian Defense Minister Reymi Ferreira said, the El Pais newspaper reported, citing news agency ABI.

The pilot was among a group of four servicemen who faced prosecution for illegally leaving the air force, the paper reported.

http://nypost.com/2016/12/06/pilot-of-doomed-flight-was-facing-arrest-for-skirting-military-duty/

The captain of the plane carrying a Brazilian soccer team that crashed in Colombia was facing arrest on charges of abandoning the Bolivian air force before fulfilling his military commitment, according to a report.

“Captain (Miguel) Quiroga, who was a pilot of the plane that crashed, had a trial with the Bolivian Air Force, even had a warrant,” Bolivian Defense Minister Reymi Ferreira said, the El Pais newspaper reported, citing news agency ABI.

The pilot was among a group of four servicemen who faced prosecution for illegally leaving the air force, the paper reported.

http://nypost.com/2016/12/06/pilot-of-doomed-flight-was-facing-arrest-for-skirting-military-duty/

I am going out there!

From the beginning it knawed at me. Makes no sense - anything that runs out of fuel stops.

He is on the airplane. Then all this arrest warrent stuff comes out.

Its not like this is a mathemtical error - obviouly they topped her off!

Pilots know the range of their if aircraft. Kinda neccesary!

They had three of these aircraft - so we cant even go to he was not familiar flying the type.

If true, he abdonded his govt and country.

I do not know if I really think this - but what is the best to retaliate against your country and govt.

Kill something they obviouly value.

I wonder if this was on purpose.

BUT then again there was an unexpected event (other emergency) so maybe not?

Why did he wait so long to advise of fuel crisis?

He knows you have to formally state declaring emergency. He did not do it the way it is supposed to be formally

I know it is out there, and yes there have been other fuel starvation accidents.

I can't remember one ( does not mean it has not happened!) tho that relates to exceed core range of the aircraft.

This one was amazing, but it was a math error. They did not convert from meters to whatever and they ran out.

This captain was in Miracle on Hudson category!

He got her down, but he did a maneuver that you can do in small airplanes .

Check out your stomach!!

The runway had been closed for years and they were people on the runway playing around .

there are no options but to continue!!

Here is what it looks like!!

You have to force a powerless aircraft where you need it.

[video=youtube;jVvt7hP5a-0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVvt7hP5a-0[/video]

pretty amazing huh!!

Short video on the crash itself

[video=youtube;tF7PKlb5onQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF7PKlb5onQ[/video]

Here is another fuel starvation

(NTSB) determined that the crash occurred due to the flight crew failing to properly declare a fuel emergency, resulting in air traffic control underestimating the seriousness of the situation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avianca_Flight_52

Avianca-Flight-52-Wreckage-1.jpg

This disaster is so convoluted I'm dizzy.

Air traffic controller who revealed cause of Colombia crash flees to Brazil

Celia Castedo, who may have illegally bypassed Bolivian migration controls to seek asylum, is being sought in investigation of plane crash that killed 71 people

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...e-crash-bolivia-air-traffic-controller-brazil

The airplane crash that decimated the Chapecoense football team has threatened to stir up a diplomatic storm after the Bolivian air traffic controller who revealed irregularities about the flight requested asylum in Brazil.
3000.jpg

'What he did was mass murder': little sympathy for Colombia plane crash pilot

Read more

Celia Castedo, an official from the Viru Viru airport in Santa Cruz, fled across the border rather than face an investigation by Bolivian authorities who suspect the small LaMia chartered plane took off with a flight plan showing the intended route would push the limits of the plane’s maximum possible flight time.

This disaster is so convoluted I'm dizzy.

Air traffic controller who revealed cause of Colombia crash flees to Brazil

Celia Castedo, who may have illegally bypassed Bolivian migration controls to seek asylum, is being sought in investigation of plane crash that killed 71 people

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...e-crash-bolivia-air-traffic-controller-brazil

Jax could not agree with you more. Is this "Aiport 3"?

In thinking about tho there really might have been a cost motivation as it relates to not stopping. There are landing fees, decent and taxi and climb do burn more than cruise, and putting fuel in adds weight so fuel burn is going to be more.

So there are a lot more considerations, tn than the notion that this might have been just appease the special passengers. - wherein $$$ might have really been it

I dont know maybe over there like prisons are real hell holes with abuse and stuff that exceed industiralized nations- but it sure is bizzaire huh?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back